"How To" - VF Engineering Rear Mount-Install Pics - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-15-2006, 12:10 AM   #91
Davva
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41632
FF Reputation: 1 Davva Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Is it worthwhile getting the Energy Suspension Inserts or is it better to just change the whole mount?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2006, 02:05 AM   #92
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Personally, I'd do the whole mount...its a lot stronger because its machined rather than cast. There's a lot more stress on the mount itself with the urethane bushings that could potentially crack a stock rear mount.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:13 PM   #93
focusonthis420
Focus Addict

Fan#: 30951
What I Drive: SGM 2012 5dr

FF Reputation: 17 focusonthis420 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
quick question... what is the stock mount cast out of and is it the same metal as the machined VF one?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:29 AM   #94
Focusnewb
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27975
What I Drive: 2001 Sangria Red 4dr SE

FF Reputation: 11 Focusnewb Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusonthis420 View Post
quick question... what is the stock mount cast out of and is it the same metal as the machined VF one?
You just said it right there, "cast" vs "machined", not the same material.

old thread btw.

I would rather drive the slow car Rusty built than the slow car I built.

Do your own repairs, it's not rocket surgery !!
Old 05-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #95
Sonicbluezx3
.....NObama.....

Fan#: 8674
What I Drive: 05 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 18 Sonicbluezx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
they better not break lol I have that mount now
Old 07-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #96
Freakeystyley
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12096
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 4 Freakeystyley Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm retarded

Hey everyone,

Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but I finally got around to putting in a VF Engineering rear motor mount and encountered a problem. With 50,000 miles on the car the bolts were tighter than I anticipated.

The bolts on the plate and the front bolt (into the transmission housing) came off with little effort, but the chassis bolt was a BUGGER!

I soaked it with WD40 (all I had at the time) and waited a minute before trying again. No luck.

Rather than taking a breath and thinking, I swore, then grabbed the handle off my floor jack and proceeded to try to "persuade" the bolt loose. Big mistake.

SNAP! That's the sound of a motor mount bolt that had enough. The bolt broke off about 1/2 an inch into the mount. Now the mount is stuck.

Is there a nut on the top of that mount? I feel one up there and can get a 15mm wrench on it, but that won't move. I'm assuming that it's just welded to the sheet metal frame for the bolt to thread into.

Anyone have any ideas for how to get this mount out of there?

~a big
SVT Squad #9
Old 09-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #97
musictom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29393
What I Drive: 2004 SILVER SVT EAP, JRSC+BBK,

FF Reputation: 1 musictom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakeystyley View Post
Hey everyone,

Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but I finally got around to putting in a VF Engineering rear motor mount and encountered a problem. With 50,000 miles on the car the bolts were tighter than I anticipated.

The bolts on the plate and the front bolt (into the transmission housing) came off with little effort, but the chassis bolt was a BUGGER!

I soaked it with WD40 (all I had at the time) and waited a minute before trying again. No luck.

Rather than taking a breath and thinking, I swore, then grabbed the handle off my floor jack and proceeded to try to "persuade" the bolt loose. Big mistake.

SNAP! That's the sound of a motor mount bolt that had enough. The bolt broke off about 1/2 an inch into the mount. Now the mount is stuck.

Is there a nut on the top of that mount? I feel one up there and can get a 15mm wrench on it, but that won't move. I'm assuming that it's just welded to the sheet metal frame for the bolt to thread into.

Anyone have any ideas for how to get this mount out of there?

~a big
Man, that sucks, Freaky!!! How'd this story end????
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

Tom
Old 10-11-2007, 07:24 PM   #98
Freakeystyley
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12096
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 4 Freakeystyley Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It turned nasty before the end. I managed to get the mount out, but that bolt was resilient. I ended up getting all but the last inch of it out, then snapped the EZ-Out into the last little bit.

At that point I had had enough. I brought it to a local shop. The charged $150, which I thought was pretty fair, considering to remove that bolt they had to drop the entire front suspension and torch off the welded nut. They ended up just replacing it with a real nut. Worked fine.

I actually ended up saving money in this whole ordeal believe it or not. One of the mechanics there has an '04 5-Door Jackson Supercharged CD SVT!!! He had already bought a Predator Tuner (with a less than stellar tune) but had to buy an X-Caliber when he went to supercharge it. So he sold me his tuner for $100. Since our SVTs were so close in age, they had the same Gen. ECU. Flashed with no issues.

I love the mount. Makes shifts nice and crisp. The tune that he had wasn't terrible either. Definitely an improvement, but with the mount I think I want the idle set up just a hair (vibration with the AC on).

Other than that, all is well. I love this car. A few more things done to it and I'll be pretty content.
SVT Squad #9
Old 10-12-2007, 12:39 AM   #99
musictom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29393
What I Drive: 2004 SILVER SVT EAP, JRSC+BBK,

FF Reputation: 1 musictom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Sweet!!! At least that cloud had a bit of a silver lining!!!

The JRSC definitely rocks HARD!!!!! :)

Thanks for sharing,

Tom
Old 10-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #100
loudfocus01
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26006
What I Drive: 2001 White LX 2002 Infra-Red Svt

FF Reputation: 107 loudfocus01 Excellent Standing Memberloudfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I just installed my new vf lower mount. I LOVE IT!
It pulls so much harder, and there is so much more power getting to the wheels, especially off the line. It shifts so much firmer.I also noticed the improved braking.....its very nice. I even like the little bit of vibration at idle. The vibration wasnt nearly as noticable as people made it out to be on here. Such a great mod. I'll be installing the other 2 vf mounts on wednesday. Its gunna be awsome.

Bookmarks & Social Networks