01 ZX3 occasionally idling too low - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
wcchandler
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 64977
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 wcchandler Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
01 ZX3 occasionally idling too low

I have a 2001 Focus ZX3 with about 57000 miles on it. I've only had it for about a month and so far this is the only problem with it.

First incident occurred two days ago in the middle of the day -- about 75 degrees out. I feel as though that's important. Car was warm from running around all day. I go to start it and it dies immediately. It's turning over. It's not the starter. It'll turn over get to usual 1500 RPMs then drop and die. It will continue to do this. To keep it alive I give it gas. I have to ride the brake and gas to keep it from dying. Sometimes after driving for a while I can turn it off and fire right back up and it work just fine. Today was the second incident -- The car was slightly cooler but still warm. After stopping once and immediately retrying it didn't go away. Once I got home, I turned it off and it started normally without any problems.

After the first incident I drove it to a QuickTrip -- put the STP Fuel Injector cleaner in the tank (black bottle), and filled the tank up with 91 octane.

I checked the air filter and I think it's newer -- it's pretty clean. That's about the limitation of what I think it could be.

Check engine light is not on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 05:56 AM   #2
TnFocus
Dumbledore dies?!?!

Fan#: 49496
What I Drive: 05 zx4, 88 rx7 with v8 swap, 69 bug

FF Reputation: 8 TnFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It wouldn't hurt to clean the Idle air controll (IAC), throttle position sensor(TPS), and the throttle body itself. Regular carb cleaner does the trick.

7HR BOB-Jacob-gumpcrew #20
Old 05-08-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Memberscrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
good advise. i would also clean those bits. i would use MAF cleaner on all of them though. carb cleaner leaves a film.

also, it wouldnt hurt to reset your ECU. simply disconnect the negative terminal for 15 minutes.

also, a vaccum leak can cause these symptoms. listen for a hissing or sucking noise around the intake system.

good luck
Old 08-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
JonBecker123
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102651
What I Drive: 2001 Dark Green ZX3 DOHC Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 JonBecker123 Good Standing Member
I am also having a stalling issue with my 2001 ZX3 DOHC, however mine is a manual, so cleaning the carb is out.
It idles at 500 while sitting still, but twice now, while driving, I push in the clutch and take my foot of the gas and the engine dies.
I kick start it cuz I'm moving, but I wanna get to the core of the problem. I'm a bit new to taking care of my vehicles. I figured this could be as easy as adjusting my idle screw. But if I rule that out, I'd like to know what I should check next.
I'm not expecting much cuz I can see that this conversation took place in 2009. But if anyone reads this and has an idea, I'd appreciate any advice.

Check Engine Light WAS on. Codes were 0401 (EGR Pressure Sensor), 0453 (fuel tank pressure is higher than normal) and 0460 (fuel lever sensor). Fixed the 0401 and the Check Engine Light has yet to come back on.
As far as the FTP and fuel level sensor go, I'm not having any issues with fuel supply. HOWEVER, that A/C question raised my eyebrow...I feel like having my A/C on affects the power I'm getting from the engine. Not all the time, but when I need the power, I feel as if I'm not getting as much as I would if the A/C was off.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
hi and welcome to the forum.

yeah, it would be nice if the Focus warm stall problem could be fixed the old fashioned way.

It's a common complaint, and the usual suspects are a dirty/failed IAC and/or a collapsed PCV hose. Plug those into the forum search box at the top of the page and you'll see more than enuf comments/suggestions.

P.S. better to start a new thread than to glom onto an old one
Old 08-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 19 amc49 Great Standing Member
AND TPS switch, and don't think you can clean it, or silly. The resistor track is worn, all the cleaning in the world won't bring that back.

'however mine is a manual, so cleaning the carb is out.'

You're new all right, manual has nothing to do with carb and they haven't used carbs on Fords since 1986................................

More silliness...........

'MAF cleaner on all of them though. carb cleaner leaves a film.'

They are same chemical, with just the proportions tilted a bit. The MAF cleaner dries a bit faster. Read the can ingredients. I use carb cleaner exclusively since much cheaper and I wait the additional 30 seconds it takes to dry.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
ZXthrizzle05
TURBO ZX3

Fan#: 24434
What I Drive: 2007 mazda 3 I sport, TURBO ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 ZXthrizzle05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrammer View Post
good advise. i would also clean those bits. i would use MAF cleaner on all of them though. carb cleaner leaves a film.

also, it wouldnt hurt to reset your ECU. simply disconnect the negative terminal for 15 minutes.

also, a vaccum leak can cause these symptoms. listen for a hissing or sucking noise around the intake system.

good luck
this will solve your issue for sure. also check your iacv if that's bad, tht can get cleaned as well
RISE AGAIN EGGYOLK130 WHP 124 WTQ ZETEC CREW #271
RIFF CREW
TURBO DYNO COMING SOON

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dying engine, idle, low idle