2012 Focus Check engine light!???? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
xwhit3devilx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86578
What I Drive: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

FF Reputation: 2 xwhit3devilx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Exclamation 2012 Focus Check engine light!????

Hey all, I just finished installing some new speakers and when i went to turn on my engine I got a check engine light and a low gas warning. I was able to pull the codes P068A and P2610 which apparently mean ECM/PCM Power Relay De-Energized Performance - Too Early and ECM/PCM Internal Engine Off Timer Performance respectively. What in the heck is that supposed to mean?! I removed the battery before doing the work and put it on afterword, is it just having a freak out and is safe to erase the codes, or do I have a real problem here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
fastfern
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 83746
What I Drive: 1994 Rio Red Cobra

FF Reputation: 1 fastfern Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
you are under FACTORY WARRANTY!!!!!!! dont clear codes and have them sweat it out.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
^That.

But sounds like it'd be because you disconnected the battery. Wouldn't doubt they'd go away and stay away if reset, however you do that.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:45 AM   #4
xwhit3devilx
Focus Addict

Damn it, it was driving fine all day! Blegh, I JUST got back from the dealership yesterday after having them sort out an issue with the engine spewing oil through the dipstick tube and now this?! I thought new cars were supposed to be reliable! Oh well, at least it's amazing when it works. Also I forgot to mention earlier, the low fuel warning light wont turn off and my gauge says I have half a tank left..... this is also since I plugged the battery back in.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:30 AM   #5
Focus2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86441
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE 5-Door

FF Reputation: 1 Focus2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How did you end up putting new speakers in? From my research, it seems like the Focus speakers are identical to the Fiesta speakers... so logically, I'm assuming the bracket crutchfield.com sells for the fiesta to mount new speakers will also fit the Focus...

As far as the speaker upgrade and the problems it's causing goes, please keep me informed as I too was going to do this.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Give it a little time before you take it back to the dealer. While you're at it, check in the owner's manual under maintenance to see if there is a special procedure you need to perform to replace the battery.

Don't laugh, you will totally screw up some Hondas by removing the battery.

I had a similar issue when I re-flashed my 05 while I was filling up- the fuel gauge didn't work correctly for a few days.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:15 AM   #7
woodyg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86430
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3,Zetec, Black, AC, Moonroof

FF Reputation: 1 woodyg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwhit3devilx View Post
Damn it, it was driving fine all day! Blegh, I JUST got back from the dealership yesterday after having them sort out an issue with the engine spewing oil through the dipstick tube and now this?! I thought new cars were supposed to be reliable! Oh well, at least it's amazing when it works. Also I forgot to mention earlier, the low fuel warning light wont turn off and my gauge says I have half a tank left..... this is also since I plugged the battery back in.
why was oil spewing from the dipstick? what did they say caused that?
2002 Focus ZX3, Zetec 2.0, Auto, 106k. RECENT WORK= 5w-20 , Coil, T-stat housing and flush, Autolite APP5364, new steering Rack, full tuneup, tranny filter swap and fluid exchange. SOLD(Grandma gave my kid her Camry. I really liked the zx3 )
Old 06-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
xwhit3devilx
Focus Addict

The only thing the manual says is to remove the negative terminal first when servicing; which I did. I'm assuming its probably safe to drive so I'll see if they go away on their own. As for the oil the dealer said it was the tube inside the engine that the dipstick slides into. They didn't clarify what exactly was wrong with the tube but they replaced it and the problem stopped.

Bookmarks & Social Networks