Adding backup camera - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #51
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric8784 View Post
Hey guys.. I just got a 2012 SEL with MFT without the backup camera. Now I think I want it

I was able to locate the camera, module and hardware on fordparts.com. My question is, how difficult would it be to install myself? Is it possible that it my car is already pre-wired (as in plug and play)? I noticed on some F150 and mustang forums that some are saying it is prewired if there is MFT or nav installed already. I know that a flash will be needed but Im a little unsure of the installation itself.

Any help would be appreciated and TIA!
I've got a question in to Lock Picks - they list one they say is compatible with all Ford HD products - here is an install video, done in less than 2 minutes. They also sell a back up camera. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3BAKgFMud4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #52
e350 coupe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84808
What I Drive: 2010 E-350 Coupe/2012 Titanium Htbk

FF Reputation: 5 e350 coupe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric8784 View Post
Hey guys.. I just got a 2012 SEL with MFT without the backup camera. Now I think I want it

I was able to locate the camera, module and hardware on fordparts.com. My question is, how difficult would it be to install myself? Is it possible that it my car is already pre-wired (as in plug and play)? I noticed on some F150 and mustang forums that some are saying it is prewired if there is MFT or nav installed already. I know that a flash will be needed but Im a little unsure of the installation itself.

Any help would be appreciated and TIA!
I have added camera's to the Camry Hybrid for 2007-2009 even when the car never came with it. I needed to add 5 wires to the harness which were positive in reverse signal and positive and negative for the camera video along with positive power and negative for the camera.

It was time consuming, and the worse thing was adding the itsy bitsy little pins to the harness otherwise everything else was really easy.

I also belonged to the f150 forum, where with the right harness you were able to add the camera by simply adding the correct connector.

In both cases there was no flashing of ROM or anything else to get it to work.

I would be checking ebay for a salvage company that is selling parts off of a Titanium with a working camera.

Although the camera is good on the Titanium and I love both the guidance lines and direction lines, the camera on the e-350 is excellent and almost HD quality.

I would stay away from the cheap ebay reverse camera's that replace one of the two license plate lights as I bought two of them and the quality in my opinion is sub standard on a 3.5" display so it will be terrible on a 8" display.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #53
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
It will be possible once LockPick updates their products, but I can't see this working without one.
Right you are - as of today, however, no Lock Pick for the '12 Focus. You should check out Coastal e-Tech's cameras too - they say they're better than Fords and way cheap too! They work with Lock Pick - when/if we get it for our cars.
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe
Old 12-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #54
Bakaboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92644
What I Drive: focus 2012

FF Reputation: 1 Bakaboy Good Standing Member
When I got my car 4 days ago, I rescinded the Parking Package (sensors + rear view cam) just because I could get the car "NOW". The dealership told me that in lieu of the Parking Package, they will install a rear view cam with MFT. Now (12/14/2011) they just told me that it will be delayed a bit as they have to get the procedure on how to install one with MFT as they've apparently never done it before. When I asked if they're sure it can be done, they said yes but it will take 1-2 months because they have to work out the details. Bah. -.-
Old 12-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #55
jade408
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91998
What I Drive: Focus HB Titanium, Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 1 jade408 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakaboy View Post
When I got my car 4 days ago, I rescinded the Parking Package (sensors + rear view cam) just because I could get the car "NOW". The dealership told me that in lieu of the Parking Package, they will install a rear view cam with MFT. Now (12/14/2011) they just told me that it will be delayed a bit as they have to get the procedure on how to install one with MFT as they've apparently never done it before. When I asked if they're sure it can be done, they said yes but it will take 1-2 months because they have to work out the details. Bah. -.-
Keep us posted, that's what i want!
Old 12-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #56
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakaboy View Post
Wow! Now that's a shocker! If they can do it at all, two months or three, that's better than anyone else has done on this subject. I'm sure that all of us will be waiting with abated breath for the outcome of this one, especially if it's favorable. Keep us posted, for sure!!!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #57
jade408
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91998
What I Drive: Focus HB Titanium, Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 1 jade408 Good Standing Member
My dealer mentioned they had a kit for edge or the lincolns to integrate into MFT, so I am hopeful.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #58
Bakaboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92644
What I Drive: focus 2012

FF Reputation: 1 Bakaboy Good Standing Member
Yup, will keep you guys posted. I'll go pick-up my car today or tomorrow (had it undercoated) and I'll discuss it again with the ford service guys.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #59
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

I just ran across this retailer who currently has a vehicle in motion device for the MFT equipped cars. This permits playing video while the car is in drive. They also say they will soon be coming out with a module to permit installation of a backup camera that will play onto the MFT screen. Price is not cheap for the VIM system, almost $500.

http://www.crazystereo.com/navtv-myf...89-p-4028.html

Here's what they say:

The MYFORD-TOUCH-VIM is the world’s only video in motion solution for new Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles equipped with the MYFORD TOUCH radio. In addition to video in motion, the unit can also force a factory reverse camera on while the vehicle is in motion. In the near future we will be supporting the ability to add an aftermarket rear view camera to vehicles that were not equipped with one from the factory.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #60
Royal Tee
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10037
What I Drive: Black Loaded Titanium & 2k1 SE

FF Reputation: 1 Royal Tee Good Standing Member
I Was at the Dealer getting info for our soon to be Titanium and he said the Rear camera was available on the "Titanium Premium Package".
I asked if he was sure and he said yes.

Now I understand that this package has a "Reverse sensing system" but I'm a little confused because I thought the camera was only on the "Parking Technology Package"

Anyone can confirm which is it?

FTR, they didn't much about the car

Bookmarks & Social Networks