Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 90 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #891
shudder
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97667
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 shudder Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hello --

First post. Please bear with me. It's a long one…

I found focusfanatics this past Friday and before reading a single thread, I signed up, and then immediately jumped on this thread which has taken me several hours to read IN ITS ENTIRETY: I spent the whole weekend reading this novel of a nearly 900 posting thread. Reading the whole thread has answered so many questions, and given me so much great info, that I will now not waste your time with repeat questions that have been asked and answered so many times before in this one thread. I thank all those who have provided all this great information -- links to websites, the youtube vids on the dual clutch transmission, notes about how to learn this transmission, et al. Great stuff, all.

I'd like to apologize up front if my handle sets anyone off here. That is not my intention, but I can certainly see how it might be taken that way since the word 'shudder' is perhaps mentioned more than any other single word in this long thread. I've been using 'shudder' as my online handle since I joined a photography website called dpreview 11 years ago ('shutter' was taken, so I went with 'shudder' -- I've since used that handle everywhere on the web). The name has now brought me full circle to this website: my Tuxedo Black '12 Focus Titanium hatchback exhibited the same 'shudder' that has been so well documented in this thread by so many others.

Jumping into issues now:

I. THE SHUDDER:
On 9/1/11, FordCostomerService (Natasha) wrote, "We are working on doing a better job at explaining how this new transmission technology behaves when customers take delivery of their new vehicles" (post #178 - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...&postcount=178). One specific way to do this is to make the youtube videos posted previously in here required viewing at the dealership by anyone interested in purchasing a new Focus. I am going to be writing the internet sales rep I dealt with to make this exact recommendation, considering all he really did was tell me that it's a different type of automatic transmissions than most.

On 12/5/11, serathe posted this video with PowerShift Development Team Leader Piero Aversa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX1DN...layer_embedded (post #563 - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...&postcount=563). Note that at 32 seconds in the vid, you can actually SEE the shudder we all know so well as the Frosted Glass Focus pulls away from a stop at a corner… Taking just five minutes to view this one vid in particular as I was buying my car would have saved me so much time and effort after the fact. It really does explain so much that was not explained to me as I was looking at the car.

On 11/1/11, Montana wrote, "Anything built after 08/12/2011 should not have some of the issues that the prior vehicles had" (post #442 - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...&postcount=442). My Focus has a build date of 12/11 (I bought it March 18). It exhibited the same shuddering issue that supposedly only cars built prior to 8/11/11 exhibit, but for me it was not obvious until I hit some drive time traffic on a crowded freeway (no, I did not test drive the car in drive time traffic before purchasing it). I took it back into the dealership after having it for only a few days because I didn't know what was going on, but it certainly felt 'wrong' when I almost stalled trying to maneuver my way through traffic. The service personnel did not know what to tell me at first -- it was like they had no idea what was going on -- but eventually they learned (or figured they would have to tell me) that they would have to "reset the computer" controlling the transmission. By this, I now assume they performed one or another of the PCM/TCM updates talked about on here. It really did seem that they had no idea about there being any issues with the transmissions in these vehicles at all. No mention was made of this at all until they told me about the reset. This surprises me now, considering how much the FordCustomerService team have mentioned this in replies to users throughout the thread.

I'm happy to report that since that update was applied (whichever one it was -- sorry but I am too new to all of this, so I don't know exactly which was done), the shudder has thankfully been greatly reduced. I also think that information I have gleaned from earlier posts in here have helped me out a great deal, as I find that I am now driving a bit differently with this transmission than I have with other transmissions: I am learning it as it is learning me. And that's really okay, as long as everything works out in the end. There are 1,475 miles on my odometer as of this writing (highway mostly -- this is a commute car), so the jury is still out, but it does seem like it is getting better as time progresses.

Additionally, on 11/7/11, JPopNC wrote, "Have you tried a higher octane of gas yet? Did that for mine and the shutter literally disappeared" (post #458 - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...&postcount=458). I filled my nearly empty tank with Premium gasoline this morning, to see what effect that has. I do not intend to put Premium in the car regularly, but since it was an earlier recommendation in this thread to mitigate the shudder, I thought I would give it a try to see how the car performs. I also noted that after JPopNC's posting was made that some other folks completely discount the idea that Premium gas will do anything for the shudder. We shall see.

II. THE MILEAGE:
I was not impressed out of the gate with my mileage as it was nowhere hear the 27 - 37 MPG promised by the marketing, but I read Natasha's note on 11/25/11, "As far as fuel economy, you'll get a more accurate measurement after 2-3K miles on your Focuses" (post #528 - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...&postcount=528). Hopefully in a few hundred to a couple thousand more miles I will see better numbers. Currently my very best has been an average of 27.7 on a tank. I'll wait on this until later.

III. THE SOUND SYSTEM:
I'm a bit of an audiophile. I noticed the headliner was loose in my vehicle and was causing rattling while listening to the Sony sound system. When I took it in for the shuddering, they ended up keeping the car for an additional three days so they could replace the entire headliner (they had to wait for parts). I've read in here that some folks have had their headliners come unglued. Since mine was replaced, I have not noticed the rattling any longer.

The CD player volume is attenuated considerably lower the radio, Sirius, Bluetooth and USB. While the CD player does have 'Compression' available on it, which does raise the volume levels a bit when engaged, not all CDs sound great being pumped up by compression. I've been able to mitigate this a small bit by upping the levels of bass/mid/treble in the EQ, but of course this affects all audio channels, not just the CD player. The CD output needs to be normalized with the audio level of the other channels. The full output of the CD player can easily be talked over (I find myself often turned all the way up, wanting to go further, but it's just not there when using the CD). It is also majorly annoying when I switch to other audio channels: they boom in way louder than the CD player. The fact that other devices can get much louder is an indication that there is some kind of governing going on in the system. Can this be removed?

IV. SYNC:
I've experienced issues with SYNC since day one. Of course, it is a very complicated computerized system, but there are things that are just not right about it. I am up on the latest/greatest rev of the software (confirmed by Ford's In-Vehicle Technology team at (800)392-4040 -- I have the "house" and "gears" on my home screen, which is apparently the way they know). I did the system reset over the weekend as recommended by FordIVTeam (Jaclyn) in response to liljr's similar issue (post #880 - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...&postcount=880), and also reset my iPhone, all to no avail. corpflyboy has just written in above me today that the new software fixed all of his problems (you can do this update yourself by the way, by downloading it from syncmyride to a USB drive and performing it at home while running the car -- could take up to an hour to finish up), but we still experience the wind tunnel effect, making it almost impossible to communicate when I am moving.

A. RESETTING SYNC:
Resetting the SYNC system can be a bit disconcerting:

1. Reset the system, per Jaclyn's instruction.
2. Re-added my iPhone.
3, Downloaded my phone book, and after a minute or two the screen said:

Vehicle Transport Mode Active
-- Please contact your dealership.

4. That was not good, so I turned the car off, and opened the door to shut the SYNC system down.
5. Started the car again, and SYNC came back, reset to defaults (though the FM presets I'd set were retained…). Whew.

I then pressed on, and have some reproducible issues:

B. CD OVERTAKEN BY USB:
I started playing a CD and then plugged in my iPhone to the USB connector. A moment later, the CD stopped and iTunes started playing, and very loudly (as noted above since the audio levels are not normalized between the different devices). Plugging in a USB drive of any sort should not change audio inputs.

C. BLUETOOTH/USB ISSUE:
Post reset, with the iPhone plugged in, the Bluetooth is now listed as 'BTST1' on the Home screen. I'm not sure what that's about, but feels incorrect (might this be a setting somewhere?… I've not set up anything called BTST1). Here is a reproducible issue:

1. Play Bluetooth, song plays from iTunes.
2. Switch to USB, same song continues to play (time continues counting, play button is activated, volume is up), but there is no audio output.
3. Unplug the iPhone, radio comes on, significantly louder than other options…
4. Plug phone in and USB interrupts the radio without being asked for, but plays fine.
5. Switch to Bluetooth, plays fine.
6. Switch to USB, same song continues to play, but as above, there is no audio output.

NOTE: This reproducibility shifted on me again this morning. Now, it plays fine on USB, and when I switch over to Bluetooth, the song will not play (pressing the > engages for a moment, then stops). Always a moving target...

===========

So, sorry for my very first posting to be such a long one, but I thought I would get it all out there as I introduced myself. Thanks for your time and attention. I look forward to being here, and with your help hope I can get all of these issues ironed out with my new Focus.

- shud

Last edited by shudder; 04-16-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: get rid of emoticons...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #892
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,276, Level 35
Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurdySE View Post
Thank you for acknowledging my post, Noemi.
I have recently learned that there is a national recall for 2012 Focuses because of the issue that I posted about...
Hello DurdySE,

Your welcome.

I'm assuming you are speaking about the Safety Recall for the Focus Wiper Motor Connector.

This recall specifically addresses those vehicles build up to October 18, 2011. In some vehicles, the seal plug on the passenger side windshield wiper motor electrical connector may have been fully dislodged, allowing water into the electrical connection and potentially resulting in an inoperative wiper motor.

Affected vehicle owners will be notified by mail the week of May 21, 2012; however a letter is not needed if the VIN is involved in the recall.

You have the option of checking Owner.Ford.com to verify if your Focus is one of the affected vehicles. If you are still experiencing difficulties with the wipers specifically covered under this program, please make an appointment with the local Ford dealer so that they may address this issue. If the concerns fall outside of the program, send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and the VIN, so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymouth View Post
I've been reading every post in this forum, looking for another Focus owner who lost reverse when the car acted up. This is very frustrating, as my car is passing every diagnostic test, and incidents can be three months apart...
Hello plymouth,

Is your Focus experiencing issues? If so, please make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shudder View Post
...I look forward to being here, and with your help hope I can get all of these issues ironed out with my new Focus.
Hello shudder,

to the forum!

I see you have done your homework! The forum offers great help for owners who are experiencing issues with their Focus and one of these help option is me! I'm the residential Ford help and it's my pleasure to provide assistance to Focus owners as needed.

You mentioned several concerns; some seem to have smoothed out while others may still be present.

Allow me to begin by suggesting you contact my fellow partner, Jaclyn, for all things related to In-Vehicle Technology such as SYNC, Bluetooth, etc. Her handle is: FordIVTteam. She'll be of great help to you.

All other concerns may be able to be addressed by the local Ford dealer with the help of the Customer Service Manager for your area. If you are still experiencing issues, please make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Take care and have a great evening!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #893
shudder
Focus Rookie

Thanks Noemi --

Having read through this entire thread, I am well aware of what you, Natasha and Jaclyn bring to the mix. Still I felt it apropos to write up what is happening with my new Focus in here for others to see. Perhaps someone other than you Ford reps may respond with ideas, etc. In any case, I will follow up with Jaclyn separately regarding the SYNC/MFT issues.

- shud
Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #894
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,276, Level 35
Level Up 51% Completed
Forum Activity 15%
Quote:
Thanks Noemi --
Having read through this entire thread, I am well aware of what you, Natasha and Jaclyn bring to the mix. Still I felt it apropos to write up what is happening with my new Focus in here for others to see...
Hello shudder,

Youíre very welcome.

Much of the info we provide derives from the compilation of various individuals and departments. So though you may not see individual input from engineers or brand managers, I assure you, my partners and I continuously reach out to multiple individuals in order to provide Focus owners a thorough and complete answer.

If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me or for that matter my partner Jaclyn. In the meantime, itís a pleasure to have you on the board.

Take care,

Noemi

Old 04-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #895
shudder
Focus Rookie

Hi Noemi --

My Sent folder is showing (0) messages sent, though I did 'successfully' send Jaclyn a note yesterday... Can you please ask her to check if she has received my note? Thank you.

- shud
Old 04-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #896
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,276, Level 35
Level Up 51% Completed
Forum Activity 15%
Quote:
Hi Noemi --
My Sent folder is showing (0) messages sent, though I did 'successfully' send Jaclyn a note yesterday... Can you please ask her to check if she has received my note? Thank you...
Hey shudder,

I emailed my partner as requested. Keep a lookout for her hello.

Take care and let me know if I can assist further.

Noemi

Old 04-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #897
magnolia
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96846
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 magnolia Good Standing Member
2012 Focus Shudder

I had previously posted about the shudder issue on my 2012 Focus TI HB when taking off from a stop. I have tried several things that others had suggested without any luck. My car shudders when taking off from a stop, but it doesn't really get bad until I have driven it for awhile. On my way to work it isn't that bad (13 miles) but if I have to drive it further (30 miles say) it steadily gets worse. I also noticed on Saturday when I took a 100 mile trip that when I got back home I heard a noise coming from underneath the car when I took off. Usually I have the radio on, but I had turned it off and had the window down. I was hoping that I was hearing things, but Tuesday I had to drive across town and back which is probably 50 miles and needless to say the car was shuddering badly by the time I got home so when I pulled into my neighborhood I turned off the radio and rolled down my window and when I pulled off from the stop sign I heard what sounded like metal to metal scraping coming from underneath the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I figure as soon as I get a chance I will take it into the dealer but if they can't resolve it I guess I will be car shopping again.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #898
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,276, Level 35
Level Up 51% Completed
Forum Activity 15%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
Purchased my 2012 Black Ford Focus on March 8th and have been driving a rental for the past 2 weeks. I have sent the car in for repairs twice in the past month...
Hello Chelle,

Give the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center a call at 1.800.565.3673. The representative will document the issue and provide you assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
I had previously posted about the shudder issue on my 2012 Focus TI HB when taking off from a stop. I have tried several things that others had suggested without any luck...I figure as soon as I get a chance I will take it into the dealer...
Hi magnolia,

Congratulations on the Focus!

Letís work on making this the great experience you desire. I can arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. In order to do so, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedleo View Post
At 16K miles, mine still has trouble shifting into 2nd, 4th, and if you pay close attention, 6th. Noisy, bucking at low rpm, and sometimes results in 2nd gear not engaging at all, with the engine revving high but no power to the wheels...
Hi Reedleo,

I recently escalated a concern on your behalf; letís have the Customer Service Manager review this issue as well. If this is the direction you desire to take, send a PM providing a brief description of the symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEREKC View Post
...I have never really had any problems with my Focus, its been GREAT!
Hey DEREKC,

Thanks for the recommendation and Focus accolade. Theyíre both appreciated!

Take care all!

Noemi

Old 04-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #899
inxsary
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97854
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE

Points 354, Level 7
Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 inxsary Good Standing Member
I too have noticed the dreaded "shudder" when accelerating from a stop. I also notice when I give it a little more gas right from the start, I don't get the shudder. I am trying to drive to maximize my gas mileage (slow accelerating, coast more to a stop, low highway speed, etc).... I am going to give my Focus some more miles before going to to the dealer about this, it's only got 500 miles on it.
-K
Old 04-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #900
jk022847
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97924
What I Drive: 2012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 jk022847 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by inxsary View Post
I too have noticed the dreaded "shudder" when accelerating from a stop. I also notice when I give it a little more gas right from the start, I don't get the shudder. I am trying to drive to maximize my gas mileage (slow accelerating, coast more to a stop, low highway speed, etc).... I am going to give my Focus some more miles before going to to the dealer about this, it's only got 500 miles on it.
-K
I have the shudder as well, except giving it more gas doesn't seem to help.

Mine also seems to have trouble switching gears, especially going from 0-40. After 40, everything smooths out, but it will still shudder when I stop.

What concerns me the most is sometimes the car jumps forward for a second and then seems to lose power. Really difficult to describe, but definitely annoying.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.