Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #71
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
hammy627,

Thanks for vouching for me! I truly am here to help, sirhawkeye, but I did understand your hesitation. Hopefully whynotthinkwhynot eased your concerns about me. And remember, just let me know if you are unsatisfied after your dealer visit.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #72
Offrddrver
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88002
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Metalic Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Offrddrver Good Standing Member
SEL 303A package - Just hit 3100 miles. My last post was just after 2000 miles.
Issue with transmission shutter is still present.
- The exceleration shutter is very light now, but still present.
- The deceleration shutter is still 100% present from 1200 rpm down to 750 rpm
Many of you suggested a break in period of 1000 miles. I'm 3x of that and still waiting.
My break in attempt.
- Daily long drive at 60 mph to 75 mph highway (to try and keep the gpm up)
- Several times per week take side road (very little traffic) shift 1 to 6 and 6 to 1 five cycles and then head home on standard 45 mph road.
* I do this as many of you stated my long steady pace driving doesn't allow my car to break in properly. It now has city driving, highway driving, and shift cycle driving. Nothing has helped the deceleration shutter.

Also, I now really notice the hesitation that many of you talk about. I pulled out in front of traffic WITH PLENTY of room to spare and my SEL turned into a snail. Needless to say I had nowhere to go and traffic was on my in a split second.
I also notice the huge leg in exceleration when in daily traffic.

In short I guess my car is still awaiting that 1000 mile break in even at 3100 miles.
Now I have to find time to take it to the dealer! Oh joy, like any of us have time for this!

Natasha, you will most likely have all my information coming your way within two weeks, or right after my Ford dealer takes their second look at this issue.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #73
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
I've been driving the rental for about a day now, and I've realized two things:
one, this rental has 2000 miles on it, and it doesn't really shutter much, but ocassionally it will, which I'm starting to think is somewhat normal for these transmissions (like I said in another post--these are a new type of trans that many are not use to).

I did notice in my personal car that the shuttering got better (lessened) as it began to accumulate miles. I may still see the dealer to re-program the trans if they don't end up replacing it--or at the very least "reset" the transmission so it can relearn itself. If it gets worse, or persists then I'll have it look at again, but I'll give the car up to 2k before I go to this step.

My hope is that if my problem ends up being a trans problem, that they would just swap it out for a new one--since after all, this seems to be an odd problem according to all of the techs I've taken the car to. That would be my preferred route that I'd like to see them take.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #74
Offrddrver
Focus Rookie

Natasha, (and fellow customers)

I work in the Semiconductor industry on high tech equipment. When we have major issues with equipment we are required and even demanded to post progress updates to our customers to let them know what is being done to fix the issues.

I think I speak for everyone when I ask FORD, where is our update on how this issue is being taken care of by your FORD engineers. Quality is JOB ONE, so show us Quality work.
1. Have the FORD Engineers correctly identified the root cause of this shuttering issue?
2. What is the specific issue causing this shutter? Your paying customers with malfunctioning equipment want to know details. (Transmission, Fuel system, programming, or multiple combined.)
3. Is this a drive train issue (5 yrs, 60k mile warranty issue)?
4. Is this a standard bumper to bumper (3 yrs, 36k mile warranty issue)?
5. Or is this like my SUV and Ford is going to make this a (12k mile worn part warranty)
If my fellow customer's haven't read my earlier post, please be advised that my NEW SUV was ditched by FORD after 12k miles related to a high speed shutter in my wheel assembly. They said issues with the front end suspension are only covered for 12k miles due to normal wear. (Even when the issue was present before the 12k mile mark and was in the shop multiple times.) My suspension issue was never fixed by Ford, they refused to work on the issue after 12k miles and the issue is still present to this day. Just to note someone said they will take it to FORD Corporate, well that is what I did, and FORD Corporate also refused to work on my SUV. BEWARE!
6. When will FORD start giving us Bi-Weekly or Monthly updates to let us know what progress they have made on our $21k to $27k+ malfunctioning vehicles?

Please understand this is not personal. I am not attacking Natasha, but like me and my company/job, she is our only point of contact right now as customers with malfunctioning vehicles.

YOU ALL OWN THESE CARS WITH SHUTTER/TRANSMISSION ISSUES. WE ALL NEED TO DEMAND UPDATES FROM FORD! Please join me and make your demand for updates from Natasha as the representative of FORD. The squeaky TRANSMISSION (wheel) gets the repair (grease).
Old 08-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #75
Offrddrver
Focus Rookie

sirhawkeye,

First, right out of the gate, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, understand I am not trying to pick on you in any way, but I must ask you and so many others on this FOCUS site.

Why do you accept that this transmission issue (or whatever it really is) as NORMAL.
"I'm starting to think is somewhat normal for these transmissions."
I've read this kind of statement over and over again from so many of you in the blog.

This is NOT NORMAL in any way, shape or form. We all need to ban together and DEMAND a fix. My 1979 Dodge Colt didn't have a auto-transmission shutter. My 1988 Ford Mustang didn't have a auto-trans shutter. My 1992 Ford Probe with Auto-trans didn't have a shutter. My 1999 Taurus didn't have a auto trans shutter. My buddy's VW Jetta with a very similar auto-trans to this doesn't have a shutter. My point is that NORMAL automatic transmissions in NEW CARs (or most old cars) don't shutter, or stall, or speed up at a snails pace. NORMAL is a smooth automatic shifting transmission.

The bottom line is that Ford wants you to accept this ISSUE as normal so that you, me, and everyone on the Focus site with ISSUES will sit back until the warranty expires and they can legally take your car off the list. By the way, it's not only FORD.

We are all paying for these $21k+++ cars that are having issues. DEMAND A FIX as not demanding one will cost all of us in the future.

With all the respect in the world, I'm sorry that you and I, and everyone else is having to deal with this ISSUE from a company that "prides" themselves on QUALITY IS JOB ONE!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #76
cappa
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85229
What I Drive: 2000 VW Golf / 2012 Ford Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 cappa Good Standing Member
lol people are hillarious.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #77
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
OK, the answer the questions....

I guess I shouldn't have said I "accept" the transmission behavior as normal, but should have been more like "understandable." Would I buy another Focus knowing how these things run normally... maybe, maybe not.

When I say "understandable" I mean that I can UNDERSTAND that these transmissions will feel differently than the other PowerShift trannnys that were used in the older Focus generations. At first, I may have had a slanted view of how an automatic should feel... In my mind, in a perfect world, the trans should shift without any feeling to the passengers whatsoever, but I know that the new 6-speed is essentially an automated 6-speed manual. I've driven several manual transmissions and I know how they can feel at times.

I guess I'm not ACCEPTING the current state of these transmissions as being normal, but more or less understanding that they are different than what we had before... I mean, my 2010 would ocassionally be jerky, mainly after a quick stop-and-go. I guess I'm being understanding in that it is a new trans setup for Ford with this improved engine. I'm not saying that we should just leave it at that (that's part of the reason I made such a fuss to begin with---and over time I sort of backed off).

I can understand the frustrations. Secondly, I work for a manufacturing company and we develop new ag equipment fairly frequently. There has NOT be one piece of equipment that has gone out that has been 100% perfect. There are flaws, there are a few things that go overlooked, because in that business you can't predict what each customer is going to do with your equipment. You get a pretty good idea, but not all 100% of farmers are going to do the exact same thing.

Point is, is that I can understand that the trans isn't perfect, but we have to also give Ford a chance. And I think by posting on this site and other fan sites around, we can get Ford's attention. I don't think we need to be hostile about it, but just more or less a complaint. I am giving my dealer a chance to fix this problem, and as I said above, if I'm not satisfied, then I will escalate the issue to the next level and contact the appropriate people/groups. I know I started out rather PO'd about this issue, but I've also realized that we need to give the dealers a chance. Who knows, there may just be something like a defective clutch in these things, that just needs replacing, and then everything is all good... Ford will have a hard time coming up with a solution if we don't let them look at our cars and work on them first. I mean, that's how we do it where I work... we work on people's equipment in order to find a solution, and then once one is found, we can then make the appropriate adjustments--we don't just go making changes without first investigating the problem first hand.

Yes the trans problems are NOT NORMAL, but we also have to give Ford a fair chance to correct the problem. Nearly all cars have some sort of defect off the line. Now whether that defect is annoying or problematic is another question. In some cases it isn't, but in this case, it is problematic, annoying, and can be expensive if not under warranty.

As I said, I will keep people informed as to the results when my car comes back from the dealer. Who knows, Ford may have made improvements already, and is just replacing the transmissions. And second, I'm not 100% sure it's a trans problem at all. The shuttering--yes--but the whining noise I get, it could be a bent half-shaft, bad wheel bearing, or a bearing in the trans. I won't know until I check back with the dealer in a few days.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #78
BigJay
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88323
What I Drive: 2012 Focus hatch SEL, sonic blue

FF Reputation: 1 BigJay Good Standing Member
It's times like this I'm glad i orderd a manual, lol, i dont figure it would have these problems
Old 08-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #79
Offrddrver
Focus Rookie

sirhawkeye - Fair enough. Mine is going in as soon as I can find the time and another vehical to drive. My dealer doesn't have free or rental cars to help with my Ford's shop time. Best of luck with your repair. I truly hope we all get the support from Ford that they claim. We'll see if Quality is Job One or just more lip service. I fully agree they need to get their hands on it to fix my car. However, Ford has thousands of these on hand to test, poke and prod, so that is why I would like to see reports on what the heck they are doing to fix it. Our industry uses a two fold approach. 1. Hands on repair of the customer's equipment, and 2. Engineers working at the headquarters figuring out what went wrong with the design in the first place. Again, best of luck to you. (I'm really not hostile, I just don't want to get burned a second time by Ford. Rest assured, it won't happen ever again!)

BigJay - Good for you on the manual trans, I wish I didn't live in the city as I would have bought a manual. Driving in the city stinks with a manual transmission. Especially if you hit rush hour traffic. That is why I bought the auto-trans as I often hit rush hour due to shift changes. Do you have a 2012 Focus, or just the Golf TDI that your profile lists?

cappa - Are you the kid that keeps poking at the chained up pitbull? Hopefully that pitbull doesn't break the chain and eat you for lunch. In this case I hope your transmission holds up and Ford doesn't take your $27k++ and laughs all the way to the bank as you sit on the side of the road after your warranty is up. Best of luck with your 2012 also. Just joking man!

I really am a nice guy!
Old 08-05-2011, 05:18 AM   #80
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrddrver View Post
My dealer doesn't have free or rental cars to help with my Ford's shop time.
That's a bunch of crap right there. Dealers should provide a loaner for warranty repairs if the repair is going to take longer than a day.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks