Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 75 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #741
fourcircle
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94490
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium 5 Door Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 fourcircle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Ford talks about a 1,000 mile period for the DCT to adjust to its own tolerances, break-in clutches, etc. This was true in my case and the clutch chatter I initially experienced seems to have disappeared. While this characteristic doesn't help much with the new car experience, it is part of the design and the car should get better even if you do nothing but drive it.

Also, mine was built on December 11, which was the very first day of yet another software version. My dealer also applied an update that came out after that. So, if yours was built 11-28, there may be two updates lurking out there for you.
Thanks Dan. I'll be patient and hope for the best. Currently have 900 miles and problems are still quite evident. Playing devil's advocate, I noted on my paperwork that the tranny was built in Mexico, the car in MI, making me wonder if the tranny was built months before Ford started ironing out these issues. I'm hoping I didn't get a tranny from the back of the shelf with unsolvable design issues inherent in it's DNA. I've read that beginning sometime in 12/2011, Ford began building in some "hardware" updates including an additional engine mount and longer "staples" and "bolts" on the tranny itself. This may indicate that any early build trannies are not likely ever going to be up to snuff, unless Ford agrees to replace the whole tranny... not likely. Is there a way to tell when my tranny was built?

Will check into the updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #742
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
I got a error message the other day when I needed directions from Sync Services. When it tries to download the directions to my car, Sync says something like "the GPS chip has malfunctioned, cannot download directions, please see your dealer"

How much do they have to tear into to fix the GPS chip? Is it part of the APIM?

Sigh.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #743
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
It is an SDM ram chip in the center compartment. Maybe its just loose.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #744
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourcircle View Post
Thanks Dan. I'll be patient and hope for the best. Currently have 900 miles and problems are still quite evident. Playing devil's advocate, I noted on my paperwork that the tranny was built in Mexico, the car in MI, making me wonder if the tranny was built months before Ford started ironing out these issues. I'm hoping I didn't get a tranny from the back of the shelf with unsolvable design issues inherent in it's DNA. I've read that beginning sometime in 12/2011, Ford began building in some "hardware" updates including an additional engine mount and longer "staples" and "bolts" on the tranny itself. This may indicate that any early build trannies are not likely ever going to be up to snuff, unless Ford agrees to replace the whole tranny... not likely. Is there a way to tell when my tranny was built?

Will check into the updates.
The software that runs the transmission is the same software that runs the engine, so your engine and transmission should have the software available at the production date.

Yes, the transmission is built by Getrag in Mexico. If you look carefully on the engine side of the transmission, you should see a white tag with bar code on a cable. That should provide manufacture date, version, etc. in plain language. The date may be in the dd/mm/yy format. (The engine has something similar if you're interested.)

As to the 1,000 mile threshold, Ford does say that if a lot of the miles are on the highway, it can take longer as the transmission isn't cycling through the gears as frequently.

I agree this is frustrating, but many people have commented that the things do come right eventually. If they don't, Ford should be standing behind their product. Incidentally, if your dealer is not helpful, try posting on the "Technical" part of this forum - Ford CSRs monitor that part and can help focus attention on your, well, Focus.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #745
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGonzo View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that I got my update TSB 12-01-04 applied to my 2012 Titanium thanks to Noemi for escalating my issue to the regional CSM and in turn she contacted the service manager at the dealer I had scheduled an appointment with to request the update be applied.
I will let everyone know after the 300 mile learning phase if the issues are gone. Already though I am noticing a better feel to the overall performance. It just responds better when accelerating both from a stop and at highway speeds.
Hi DLGonzo,

Ecstatic to learn your Focus is driving so much better! Keep me posted throughout the learning phase.

Quote:
I purchased a new 2012 Focus Titanium a couple of weeks ago and am also having power-train and/or transmission issues (rough idle, shuddering). Car was built 11-28-11. Would have thought all relevant issues fixed by then, or at least software updated before leaving factory. Not getting to enjoy that new car euphoria... real bummer.
Quote:
Thanks Dan. I'll be patient and hope for the best. Currently have 900 miles and problems are still quite evident. Playing devil's advocate, I noted on my paperwork that the tranny was built in Mexico, the car in MI, making me wonder if the tranny was built months before Ford started ironing out these issues. .......Is there a way to tell when my tranny was built?Will check into the updates.
Hi fourcircle,

Pleasure to meet you!

Your fellow poster dan50 is correct, there is a break in period stated on page 5 of the Owner Guide. Also, the PowerShift transmission in the Focus has the ability to learn driver behavior, so give it some time to smooth out.

If the issue persists after the break in period and this becomes a concern for you, don't hesitate to contact me via PM with the VIN, current mileage, as well as your personal and dealer contact info. I will then escalate your case to the Customer Service Manager in your area for review.

Quote:
Ford talks about a 1,000 mile period for the DCT to adjust to its own tolerances, break-in clutches, etc. This was true in my case and the clutch chatter I initially experienced seems to have disappeared. While this characteristic doesn't help much with the new car experience, it is part of the design and the car should get better even if you do nothing but drive it.
Also, mine was built on December 11, which was the very first day of yet another software version. My dealer also applied an update that came out after that. So, if yours was built 11-28, there may be two updates lurking out there for you.
Quote:
..... If you look carefully on the engine side of the transmission, you should see a white tag with bar code on a cable. That should provide manufacture date, version, etc. in plain language. The date may be in the dd/mm/yy format. (The engine has something similar if you're interested.......
I agree this is frustrating, but many people have commented that the things do come right eventually. If they don't, Ford should be standing behind their product. Incidentally, if your dealer is not helpful, try posting on the "Technical" part of this forum - Ford CSRs monitor that part and can help focus attention on your, well, Focus.
Hi dan50,

I hope you are doing well. Thanks for providing the information to fourcircle. It's truly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
I got a error message the other day when I needed directions from Sync Services. When it tries to download the directions to my car, Sync says something like "the GPS chip has malfunctioned, cannot download directions, please see your dealer"
How much do they have to tear into to fix the GPS chip? Is it part of the APIM?Sigh.
Hey csvt2060,

Give my partner Jaclyn a shout out. Her handle is: FordIVTteam. She'll be able to address the SYNC concern.

Have a good afternoon everyone!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 02-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #746
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 87765
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Quote:

How much do they have to tear into to fix the GPS chip? Is it part of the APIM?
Sigh.
Hi, csvt2060.

Did you have your dealership look into this? Has this issue continued to happen when attempting to use SYNC services? PM me some details and I'll look into it further.

Jaclyn

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 02-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #747
JimsterG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95184
What I Drive: 2012 5 dr SEL in Race Red

FF Reputation: 1 JimsterG Good Standing Member
don't know about the problems of the early production cars. I bought a 5 door SEL with no other options but a moonroof that was built in late January. I skipped the MyFord Touch because I would really not use it. The standard SEL interface works good for me. The transmission is great on this car, because it is so versatile compared to an old school automatic. No shudders, or sloppy gear changes. I enjoy putting it in S mode on mountain drives and going thru the gears myself without the hassle of a clutch. I also give a big thumbs up to the ambient lighting and the 6 speaker sound system. Much like a large home sound system, you can actually hear the differences from the same song played on a CD or from my MP3 player. The usual MP3 shortcomings like less dynamic range, and muddied midrange are not something the average person would notice with earbuds or cheaper speakers. But the speakers in the car are accurate enough that the flaws show up. I loved my old Civic. But the 2012 Civic is noisy and unrefined compared to the Focus when I was doing a lot of test drives before I decided what I wanted. My car is pretty new yet and has only about 4000 miles so far (I commute a long distance)but no flaws or problems have shown up that would require any sort of service.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #748
Minchkin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92792
What I Drive: 2009 Black SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 3 Minchkin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsterG View Post
don't know about the problems of the early production cars. I bought a 5 door SEL with no other options but a moonroof that was built in late January. I skipped the MyFord Touch because I would really not use it. The standard SEL interface works good for me. The transmission is great on this car, because it is so versatile compared to an old school automatic. No shudders, or sloppy gear changes. I enjoy putting it in S mode on mountain drives and going thru the gears myself without the hassle of a clutch. I also give a big thumbs up to the ambient lighting and the 6 speaker sound system. Much like a large home sound system, you can actually hear the differences from the same song played on a CD or from my MP3 player. The usual MP3 shortcomings like less dynamic range, and muddied midrange are not something the average person would notice with earbuds or cheaper speakers. But the speakers in the car are accurate enough that the flaws show up. I loved my old Civic. But the 2012 Civic is noisy and unrefined compared to the Focus when I was doing a lot of test drives before I decided what I wanted. My car is pretty new yet and has only about 4000 miles so far (I commute a long distance)but no flaws or problems have shown up that would require any sort of service.
I love my '09 with the Audiophile sound system. And I can tell the difference between a FLAC/WAV file and an MP3 with my headphones, but it still doesn't compare to my car. And I am not afraid to crank mine up. And it is good to see someone who isn't having an issue with their DCT.
SES #032
Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #749
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam View Post
Hi, csvt2060.

Did you have your dealership look into this? Has this issue continued to happen when attempting to use SYNC services? PM me some details and I'll look into it further.

Jaclyn
I appreciate the offer, it's been confirmed that the GPS module is dead. It continues to happen every time I connect to SYNC services. I don't have time right now to have the dealer tear into it again. As a matter of fact, I have a list of about 6 items right now for the dealer to look at including a oil leak around the valve cover, rattle in the rear door panel, washer fluid sensor not working, rear camera error even though I don't have a rear camera, creak in front suspension, oil change alert not working.

On another note, it seems like I have been wasting my time PM'ing FordCustomerService because when they are backed into a corner with real facts they choose not to respond. It's time to be more transparent with customers and stop the canned responses to something we know is engineered and designed wrong. We need to work together and resolve these lingering issues and make this car what it should of been in the first place. I PM'd them over a week ago, with strong facts backing up my issue and low and behold no response, and this isn't the first time.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #750
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
I appreciate the offer, it's been confirmed that the GPS module is dead. It continues to happen every time I connect to SYNC services. I don't have time right now to have the dealer tear into it again. As a matter of fact, I have a list of about 6 items right now for the dealer to look at including a oil leak around the valve cover, rattle in the rear door panel, washer fluid sensor not working, rear camera error even though I don't have a rear camera, creak in front suspension, oil change alert not working.

On another note, it seems like I have been wasting my time PM'ing FordCustomerService because when they are backed into a corner with real facts they choose not to respond. It's time to be more transparent with customers and stop the canned responses to something we know is engineered and designed wrong. We need to work together and resolve these lingering issues and make this car what it should of been in the first place. I PM'd them over a week ago, with strong facts backing up my issue and low and behold no response, and this isn't the first time.
On the good news side, there seems to be a software fix for the oil life monitor.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->