Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 74 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #731
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,284, Level 35
Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry1 View Post
First post and I'm currently in the process of replacing my old Civic. I will post a hello and other questions elsewhere but I have a general question for all of you since this seems to be the post attracting a lot of activity with regard to Focus problems.
Hi jerry1

Welcome to the forum and thanks for considering the Focus as your next vehicle.

We are keenly aware that along with the many happy Focus owners, there are also owners with concerns. Therefore we have done our best to assist by escalating customer issues to the regional Customer Service Manager and providing a solution as best as we can.

Please continue to research the Focus throughout the forum. You'll find many with different points of views. At the same time, visit a local Ford dealer and test drive a Focus. I'm sure the experience will help along your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtncpa View Post
Strut noise ... I have only driven one Focus .. and that is mine. I purchased mine in June of 2011. There seems to be a clunk clunk noise at very low speeds. I need to have it looked at. Does anyone know of a TSB on it? Other than that I love my Focus!!!
Hi gtncpa,

Well, let's work on keeping that love level!

Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage as well as your personal and contact info and I'll have a customer service manager assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I've noticed a shudder after 4th gear is engaged in auto mode. I don't know if the gear is too tall, but it shifts at 2.5K on the tach, and immediately shudders for a brief second on engagement, at that throttle setting. Smooth as glass on all other shifts at that throttle setting.
Tranny is better after my flash, overall, but it wasn't the latest, and I don't remember this quirk before the flash, and haven't seen mention of my quirk elsewhere.
I'm not sure the issue is even worth mentioning, but the tranny is so butter smooth and seamless in all other gears, thought I'd ask the experts.

Hi riderbike,

Never hurts to mention concerns.

Take it back to the dealer and have them re-check the Focus. At the same time send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, your personal and dealer contact info. I'll have the Customer Service Manager assist you as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini8026 View Post
Question.

Is the transmission engineered poorly, or is this a software/programming issue?!?
Im looking to get a 2012 titanium, but willing to wait if there is a transmission overhaul and a upgraded mysync with faster processing/etc. Im aware they are doing the software, but im curious if the next gen will also get faster processing, etc.
Hi Gemini8026,

Continue to consider the Titanium. As I stated, Ford has worked to address the concerns through software upgrades and education about the PowerShift transmission to current and prospective customers.

Here's some info about the PowerShift Transmission. Check it out when you have a moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6769MOPARS View Post
Ours is a 2012 Ti that we bought with 800 miles on it used. The tranny shifted fine for us from the start and after the TSB was applied in January, it is now even smoother. We're waiting for the Nav and MFT update this quarter but have learned to live with some of MFT's quirks.So, yes, for our car, it is all about software.
Hey 6769MOPARS,

Thanks for your comments about the Focus. I really appreciate it.

As to the Navigation and MyFordTouch, give my partner Jaclyn a shout out. Her handle is: FordIVTteam

Hopefully, I've not missed anyone. If I have, please forgive me. This thread is pulling from two different areas and is making it difficult to track and assist concerns.

Take care everyone!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #732
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6769MOPARS View Post
I can see where driving it in Sport mode would help with the hills. My guess is that it is "struggling" to downshift and can't quite make up its mind. The TSB would likely help but I'd check with the dealer (assuming you have one with whom you can discuss these things and whom you trust).
It shudders the instant it shifts into 4th gear, for about a second, then clears if lightly loaded, and lasts longer if on an incline.

4th is the only gear that does this. It acts like it is too tall, or the clutch engages too quickly. I don't know if it is a mapping issue, gear issue, or what at this point.

Until someone else has the same issue, I'm at an impasse...
Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #733
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Quote:
Strut noise ... I have only driven one Focus .. and that is mine. I purchased mine in June of 2011. There seems to be a clunk clunk noise at very low speeds. I need to have it looked at. Does anyone know of a TSB on it?

Other than that I love my Focus!!!
Mine also has developed a hefty clunking from the left front of the car, when puttering along at idle. Started last week. Some have said it's hill-assist, but it occurs when off the brake, on level road. Mine is also a June of 2011 build. Motor mount? Strut? Other? Normal? I don't have a clue...

...I have less than 3K on the ODO.

Very interested, if you find resolution.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #734
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Noemi, PM sent.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #735
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

Points 1,558, Level 22
Points: 1,558, Level: 22 Points: 1,558, Level: 22 Points: 1,558, Level: 22
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
PM sent to Noemi. Left front side here too.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #736
jerry1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94735
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti w/ MT & Alloy Wheels

FF Reputation: 1 jerry1 Good Standing Member
Hi Noemi. I'm already a "Dealer visit veteran". LOL I must say that Ford's involvement in Forum discussion is unique in my experience so I will put you to the test.... Please waive your magic wand and let me know when the Titanium w/ a manual transmission will be available! :-)
Old 02-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #737
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,284, Level 35
Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
Noemi, PM sent.
Quote:
PM sent to Noemi. Left front side here too.

Hi riderbike & gtncpa,

I received your PM. Thanks for the information. Please keep me posted on the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry1 View Post
Hi Noemi. I'm already a "Dealer visit veteran". LOL I must say that Ford's involvement in Forum discussion is unique in my experience so I will put you to the test.... Please waive your magic wand and let me know when the Titanium w/ a manual transmission will be available! :-)
Hello jerry1,
Hopefully, you'll be driving off with your Focus at the end of one of those visits. Who knows, maybe a Titanium with manual transmission. But in the meantime, my magic 8 ball says....try again later.

You can keep up to date with all things Focus via Media.Ford.com and our engineers are always reading current and future family member suggestions through Social.Ford.com. Check out both these sites when you have chance.

Take care and talk to you soon!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 02-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #738
DLGonzo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94221
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 DLGonzo Good Standing Member
Just wanted to let everyone know that I got my update TSB 12-01-04 applied to my 2012 Titanium thanks to Noemi for escalating my issue to the regional CSM and in turn she contacted the service manager at the dealer I had scheduled an appointment with to request the update be applied.

When I got there to the service dept, they knew all about my issues and were ready to apply the TSB. They just wanted the transmission guy to go on a ride with me to double check that none of the problems were parts related. After the test ride, he said he would apply the TSB and it said on the TSB that it would take 1.2 hrs to complete but he would guess closer to 2 hours. He was finished closer to the TSB time estimate. They said expect it to go through the learning phase again for about 300 miles. I told them I understood that and thank you for the great service.

I will let everyone know after the 300 mile learning phase if the issues are gone. Already though I am noticing a better feel to the overall performance. It just responds better when accelerating both from a stop and at highway speeds.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #739
fourcircle
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94490
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium 5 Door Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 fourcircle Good Standing Member
I purchased a new 2012 Focus Titanium a couple of weeks ago and am also having power-train and/or transmission issues (rough idle, shuddering). Car was built 11-28-11. Would have thought all relevant issues fixed by then, or at least software updated before leaving factory. Not getting to enjoy that new car euphoria... real bummer.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #740
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,925, Level 33
Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourcircle View Post
I purchased a new 2012 Focus Titanium a couple of weeks ago and am also having power-train and/or transmission issues (rough idle, shuddering). Car was built 11-28-11. Would have thought all relevant issues fixed by then, or at least software updated before leaving factory. Not getting to enjoy that new car euphoria... real bummer.
Ford talks about a 1,000 mile period for the DCT to adjust to its own tolerances, break-in clutches, etc. This was true in my case and the clutch chatter I initially experienced seems to have disappeared. While this characteristic doesn't help much with the new car experience, it is part of the design and the car should get better even if you do nothing but drive it.

Also, mine was built on December 11, which was the very first day of yet another software version. My dealer also applied an update that came out after that. So, if yours was built 11-28, there may be two updates lurking out there for you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.