Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 73 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #721
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini8026 View Post
Question.

Is the transmission engineered poorly, or is this a software/programming issue?!?

Im looking to get a 2012 titanium, but willing to wait if there is a transmission overhaul and a upgraded mysync with faster processing/etc. Im aware they are doing the software, but im curious if the next gen will also get faster processing, etc. Im a software guy, so Im aware that sometimes all the coding optimisation in the world cant fix slow hardware!
Well, the transmission is engineered and manufactured by Getrag, good German manufacturer with a great reputation and lots of experience with DCTs in Europe. I believe the software is mostly written by Ford, which tries to maximize EPA mileage with acceptable drivability, like all carmakers.

The DCT found in our cars is a new design and there were undoubtedly a few hardware teething difficulties. A recent poster's car was found to be missing a sleeve for the clutch throw-out bearing for example. Most of the issues with the DCT seem to be software-related, which is nice as the fix is easy once the software is rewritten. Most owners seem happy with their transmissions after the software updates, but as it will always have a different feel than a conventional automatic, not everyone is going to like it.

Ford seems committed to the DCT technology, so I doubt a radical change will occur with the 2013 model year. The best thing to do is to drive a couple and see what you think. This transmission does tend to get better with miles, so if you like the ones you test drive, one you buy should only get better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #722
Gemini8026
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94704
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Sedan (Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 Gemini8026 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the great response!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #723
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
More gears and closer ratios would definitely help, in the future. At least in my location.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #724
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
Mopar, I'd grab the latest tranny update, if I knew it would fix my specific issue. It sticks-out like a sore thumb, as does the throttle let-off cresting a steep, short hill on my street.

Don't want to chase shadows and will wait for a hit on my issue.

I live in northwest Arkansas, and my city has extremely sharp curves and hilly terrain, which brings out this tranny's quirks straight-away. If anyone has driven much in Bella Vista, you know the problem.

I drive in select-shift mode exclusively in BV, and reserve auto for the open road.

I will add the tranny works great (both up and down shifts) on the open, flat roads around here. It is when the tranny is loaded in 4th gear that the shudder starts.

I drive around the problem with select-shift, but would rather not do that.
I can see where driving it in Sport mode would help with the hills. My guess is that it is "struggling" to downshift and can't quite make up its mind. The TSB would likely help but I'd check with the dealer (assuming you have one with whom you can discuss these things and whom you trust).
Old 02-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #725
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini8026 View Post
Question.

Is the transmission engineered poorly, or is this a software/programming issue?!?

Im looking to get a 2012 titanium, but willing to wait if there is a transmission overhaul and a upgraded mysync with faster processing/etc. Im aware they are doing the software, but im curious if the next gen will also get faster processing, etc. Im a software guy, so Im aware that sometimes all the coding optimisation in the world cant fix slow hardware!
Ours is a 2012 Ti that we bought with 800 miles on it used. The tranny shifted fine for us from the start and after the TSB was applied in January, it is now even smoother. We're waiting for the Nav and MFT update this quarter but have learned to live with some of MFT's quirks.

So, yes, for our car, it is all about software.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #726
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
Yes it is a nice and pleasant feel. The only issue I have is still some residual grinding, but as the transmission relearns itself, I think it should eventually go away, as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
It allows me to drive more aggressively. I caught myself doing 10 over the speed limit in a 40 zone and not realizing it!
Hey denyall2010,

So glad to learn the Focus is driving more smoothly. Give it some time to relearn your driving habits. In the meantime, keep us posted.

BTW - might want to be careful with the "happy" driving. Ford is unable to provide assistance with traffic tickets...lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2004ruby View Post
As to my post about my transmission problem the dealership applied the update and ran the test on the computer to see where the problem was coming from and came up with nothing. They are keeping the vehicle longer and having a tech come in and look at it. They test drove it and could not duplicate my problem but as I said earlier the dealership is keeping the car and running further tests to ensure our safety. They have been nothing short of amazing to us with this, with the exception of a sales manager.
Hi tj2004ruby,

Happy to hear, the dealer is diligent in locating the issue. Keep me posted on the results.

Talk to you all throughout the week!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 02-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #727
jerry1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94735
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti w/ MT & Alloy Wheels

FF Reputation: 1 jerry1 Good Standing Member
Any common problems aside from DCT issues??

Hi All,

First post and I'm currently in the process of replacing my old Civic. I will post a hello and other questions elsewhere but I have a general question for all of you since this seems to be the post attracting a lot of activity with regard to Focus problems.

I read quite a bit of this very long post and my most pressing question is this: Aside from the DCT issues, are there any other recurring, or semi-common issues that I should watch out for? (If I buy a Focus, it would be the 5-speed MT anyway). It looked like there were some stut or other front end problems (noises) early on in this thread but that seems to have subsided. Any info from all of you who are much more knowlegable about the 2012 Focus that me would be helpful.

Thanks Everyone!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #728
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
Strut noise ... I have only driven one Focus .. and that is mine. I purchased mine in June of 2011. There seems to be a clunk clunk noise at very low speeds. I need to have it looked at. Does anyone know of a TSB on it?

Other than that I love my Focus!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #729
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry1 View Post
Hi All,

First post and I'm currently in the process of replacing my old Civic. I will post a hello and other questions elsewhere but I have a general question for all of you since this seems to be the post attracting a lot of activity with regard to Focus problems.

I read quite a bit of this very long post and my most pressing question is this: Aside from the DCT issues, are there any other recurring, or semi-common issues that I should watch out for? (If I buy a Focus, it would be the 5-speed MT anyway). It looked like there were some strut or other front end problems (noises) early on in this thread but that seems to have subsided. Any info from all of you who are much more knowledgeable about the 2012 Focus that me would be helpful.

Thanks Everyone!
Ours was built in August 2011; no suspension noise whatsoever.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #730
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
Mine was one of the first TI's to roll off.

Bookmarks & Social Networks