Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 71 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #701
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unfortunately, I had the same issue. Finally, I ended up having to search around for a dealer that would do the update for me (luckily, the dealer I got the car from originally agreed to do the update, but I have to leave it overnight so they can test it in the morning when it's cold). But the local dealer gave me the same story you got.

I would just try another dealership if I were you. This update only takes about an hour to apply, and I frankly don't understand why they just don't apply it automatically even if the car is having issues. My assumptions are this: if the car already has this update, then it won't benefit from another update, but if the car doesn't have this new TSB update, it can really only help.

My car's trans computer has never been updated since I got the car (and it was built back on 7/1/11 and I purchased it around 7/21/11). I will tell you this, though, my car has about 8400 miles on it now, and it has gotten quite a bit better on its own (it use to do this sort of "stalling" bit on acceleration from a dead stop--shift very erratically and make a fair amount of clutch noise--but that has gone anway. Now, all I really get it some clunking in the front end (may not even be the trans at all, but I need to make sure of that first) when I creep forward from a dead stop at a light.

I did experience one time, what you did. I was accelerating around a right hand turn from a stop, and the car went from 1st to 2nd, then 2nd to 3rd, and then (for some reason) slipped intro neutral. This only happened once, and that was a few months ago, and I haven't had it happen since.

Is this something that happens often (the slippage into neutral)?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 AM   #702
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGonzo View Post
I have been having some transmission problems on my 2012 Focus Titanium, Built 10/11. When I am traveling at highways speeds and attempt to pass my transmission seems to slip and also when starting out from a stop the lower gears will shift erratically like once I started out making a right on red and in between 1st and 2nd gear there was a long pause like I was coasting in neutral leaving me sitting in the middle of the intersection with traffic closing in on me and then 2nd finally caught. I know there has been a new TSB (12-01-04) for the transmission to fix such problems so I decided to take my car to the dealer to see if they could apply the TSB.

I took my car to the dealer and talked to the Assistant Service Manager and he said he would have his Transmission guy check it out.

Well as luck would have it they could not replicate ANY of the problems and there were no diag codes popping up so they could do nothing to the car. I told him I did not feel safe driving the car if there was a chance it was going to pause like that in the intersection with traffic hurtling at me. It has done this to me 2 or 3 times. He asked me to come test drive it with him in the car to see if I could make the car replicate the problems. So I did and he had me just drive around the dealers neighborhood and so I could not get up to highway speed to show him the slipping and try as I might I could not get the car to do the pause thing, so that was that. While on the way home I was on the highway and stepped on the gas to pass and then it did the slipping thing. When I stepped on the gas the RPMs went up but the speed hardly raised and the little it did it did it very slowly.

The service managers says if they can't replicate the problem then there's nothing they can do. It just feels like they are saying we don't believe you. We have to see if for ourselves.

I am a computer repair person and when a client tells me their computer is acting up I accept what they have to say about what's happening. When it seems it is a software problem, I install any updates to the system software and any updates to programs they are having problems with.. Usually that fixes the problems they are having and the client leaves happy. Sometimes I have to reinstall the OS, including the updates, and the programs, including updates, to fix the problems and the client leaves happy. If I did what the service manager did I would not have any clients.

I am basically telling the service manager that my cars computer is not shifting my transmission properly. It just seems if there is an update to the computer software (12-01-04) to make it shift the transmission more efficiently the best option is update the software so it will shift better and make the customer happy.

HELP!!!
I'd escalate to one of the Ford reps who monitor this forum and this thread or find another dealer. I had no problems getting the TSB installed. My service tech takes my word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Focus14 View Post
I have a 2012 Ford Focus with 5,400 miles on it, and wanted to provide some input on the transmission problem. For me, the transmission was at its worst in stop-and-go rush hour traffic.

I knew about the "wear in" period and that the program that learns your driving patterns and makes adjustments accordingly. However, several people, including family members who work at Ford dealerships, have told me that that the program is meant to fine-tune at the edges, not correct for major problems like Ford has with the transmission in the new Focus. For those of you experiencing problems, I would not expect major changes from the "wear in" period or the car's ability to "learn" your driving style. These provide only very minor improvements/changes.

After 5,400 miles, the local dealership performed the update on the transmission and I will tell you that it is NOTICEABLY better and SIGNIFICANTLY different, even driving 3 miles from the dealership to home. The RPM at idle is higher. It is holding gears FAR longer than it did previously. It is unmistakeably smoother. My initial impression is that the new setting is about half way between where it was before and where the car operated when in Sport mode.

For anyone who has transmission problems and has not had the new update applied, I highly recommend having that done ASAP. I have been frustrated with my Focus for many months and have regretted my purchase almost every day.

I hope that the update truly fixes the problem when it is at its worst -- in rush hour traffic. If it does not, I will be trading in my Focus and never buying another Ford vehicle again. Which is difficult to say, given that I grew up in a Ford family.
We had the update done about three weeks ago. I only drive my wife's Focus occasionally but it does shift smoother and at slightly higher RPMs.

We have no complaints after almost 1000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhawkeye View Post
Unfortunately, I had the same issue. Finally, I ended up having to search around for a dealer that would do the update for me (luckily, the dealer I got the car from originally agreed to do the update, but I have to leave it overnight so they can test it in the morning when it's cold). But the local dealer gave me the same story you got.

I would just try another dealership if I were you. This update only takes about an hour to apply, and I frankly don't understand why they just don't apply it automatically even if the car is having issues. My assumptions are this: if the car already has this update, then it won't benefit from another update, but if the car doesn't have this new TSB update, it can really only help.

My car's trans computer has never been updated since I got the car (and it was built back on 7/1/11 and I purchased it around 7/21/11). I will tell you this, though, my car has about 8400 miles on it now, and it has gotten quite a bit better on its own (it use to do this sort of "stalling" bit on acceleration from a dead stop--shift very erratically and make a fair amount of clutch noise--but that has gone anway. Now, all I really get it some clunking in the front end (may not even be the trans at all, but I need to make sure of that first) when I creep forward from a dead stop at a light.

I did experience one time, what you did. I was accelerating around a right hand turn from a stop, and the car went from 1st to 2nd, then 2nd to 3rd, and then (for some reason) slipped intro neutral. This only happened once, and that was a few months ago, and I haven't had it happen since.

Is this something that happens often (the slippage into neutral)?
Never had that problem - my wife would have told me and told me and told me if that had happened.

Last edited by lildisco; 02-02-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #703
tj2004ruby
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94561
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 tj2004ruby Good Standing Member
transmission problems

We bought our focus in December 2011. Noticed a small dent in the back before we drove it off the lot. I was told to bring it back in to get body work done on it. When we brought the car in to get it worked on I discussed the shutter, hard shifting and the car feeling like it was going to die. Was told its normal the car needs to learn how you drive and will break in at around 500 miles.
Now at almost 2000 miles still having those problems but worse. While pulling out on the road the car felt like it missed 3rd gear reved out realy bad and wouldnt accelerate resulting in myself almost getting into an accident. This problem has happened a few more times but luckly there was no other cars around. The car always rolls backwards when on an incline when letting off the brake. Theres problems starting it a few times. The SYNC stopped working all of a sudden. And the best one happened today that resulted in the vehicle being brought back to the dealer. Pulling out of the grocery store parking lot I was on a pretty good incline, gave the car gas and nothing but me rolling backwards started mashing on the pedal and still nothing. About 20-30 feet later the car accelerated and scared me half to death.
Dealer told me the system needs to be updated and this will resolve our problems for the transmission. Was told a part was missing for the SYNC. If there was an update for the trans why wasnt it put on before they let me drive it off the lot.
Do I feel safe in this car NO!!! Would I reccomend this car to anyone NO!!! They say the car is supposed to learn the way you drive, thats fine but what if theres two drivers?
Old 02-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #704
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2004ruby View Post
We bought our focus in December 2011. Noticed a small dent in the back before we drove it off the lot. I was told to bring it back in to get body work done on it. When we brought the car in to get it worked on I discussed the shutter, hard shifting and the car feeling like it was going to die. Was told its normal the car needs to learn how you drive and will break in at around 500 miles.
Now at almost 2000 miles still having those problems but worse. While pulling out on the road the car felt like it missed 3rd gear reved out realy bad and wouldnt accelerate resulting in myself almost getting into an accident. This problem has happened a few more times but luckly there was no other cars around. The car always rolls backwards when on an incline when letting off the brake. Theres problems starting it a few times. The SYNC stopped working all of a sudden. And the best one happened today that resulted in the vehicle being brought back to the dealer. Pulling out of the grocery store parking lot I was on a pretty good incline, gave the car gas and nothing but me rolling backwards started mashing on the pedal and still nothing. About 20-30 feet later the car accelerated and scared me half to death.
Dealer told me the system needs to be updated and this will resolve our problems for the transmission. Was told a part was missing for the SYNC. If there was an update for the trans why wasnt it put on before they let me drive it off the lot.
Do I feel safe in this car NO!!! Would I reccomend this car to anyone NO!!! They say the car is supposed to learn the way you drive, thats fine but what if theres two drivers?
Yes, there is a TSB for the tranny. Get 'er done. Check here. You'll see that there have been some who have had shifting problems with the Dual Clutch Transmission which is a manual that shifts under computer control. The software update has resolved almost everyone's complaints. The latest TSB for the transmission is 12-01-04A. We bought our Focus in late November (it was built August 9th) and it shifts beautifully.

Yes, there is an update for SYNC and the MFT. It should be here this quarter. If you just have SYNC and no MFT, there are updates you can download from www.syncmyride. com.

Then you should be just fine. It's a great car.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #705
tj2004ruby
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94561
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 tj2004ruby Good Standing Member
That's great they have an update still doesn't change the fact that because of the transmission problems I was almost t-boned. I bought my car in December the transmission problems have been reported before that why didn't the dealership install the update before letting me drive off the lot. Did they just hope for the best? Hope that there wouldn't be a problem? What if my wife or I was t-boned because of this problem? What's the update or fix for the transmission after that?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #706
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,844, Level 32
Points: 2,844, Level: 32 Points: 2,844, Level: 32 Points: 2,844, Level: 32
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Take a look at your Owner's Manual for the Message Center between the speedometer and tachometer. There is a setting for "hill assist" that can be set to on or off.

The "on" setting will apply the brakes when transitioning from stopped to moving when on a hill and should keep the car from rolling backwards. Maybe yours is set to the "off" position?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #707
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
That's great they have an update still doesn't change the fact that because of the transmission problems I was almost t-boned. I bought my car in December the transmission problems have been reported before that why didn't the dealership install the update before letting me drive off the lot. Did they just hope for the best? Hope that there wouldn't be a problem? What if my wife or I was t-boned because of this problem? What's the update or fix for the transmission after that?
I was only offering information that will correct the problem. Do whatever you like.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #708
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,219, Level 35
Points: 3,219, Level: 35 Points: 3,219, Level: 35 Points: 3,219, Level: 35
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Jay View Post
On post 667 I expressed disappointment with transmission shifting after the TSB was performed. I jumped the gun and must correct myself.
I've since found that the post TSB shifting issue I complained of was primarily a traction control system response to icy conditions. It operates so unobtrusively that I at first mistook it for very late shifting.
After more time for the transmission controller to re-learn the car I believe that the TSB is an improvement and I'm enjoying the car again. The car is much more responsive to throttle input and shifting smoother in lower gears. The jury is out on fuel economy because it's gotten a lot colder but initially, at least, it didn't seem to suffer.
Props to Ford on the update. It is a clear improvement and shows good customer responsiveness.
.......... Being responsive to complaints is good. Better still to be proactive in pursuit of excellence.
Hi G. Jay,

Good to learn your Focus is driving much smoothly. Makes us happy when our Focus owners are happy.

Thanks for the props!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGonzo View Post
I have been having some transmission problems on my 2012 Focus Titanium, Built 10/11..........
I took my car to the dealer and talked to the Assistant Service Manager and he said he would have his Transmission guy check it out.
Well as luck would have it they could not replicate ANY of the problems and there were no diag codes popping up so they could do nothing to the car......
The service managers says if they can't replicate the problem then there's nothing they can do. It just feels like they are saying we don't believe you. We have to see if for ourselves.
I am basically telling the service manager that my cars computer is not shifting my transmission properly. It just seems if there is an update to the computer software (12-01-04) to make it shift the transmission more efficiently the best option is update the software so it will shift better and make the customer happy.
HELP!!!
Here I am,

Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage as well as your personal and dealer contact info. I'll escalate this ASAP and have the Customer Service Manager in your area provide assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhawkeye View Post
I would just try another dealership if I were you. ......
My car's trans computer has never been updated since I got the car (and it was built back on 7/1/11 and I purchased it around 7/21/11). I will tell you this, though, my car has about 8400 miles on it now, and it has gotten quite a bit better on its own (it use to do this sort of "stalling" bit on acceleration from a dead stop--shift very erratically and make a fair amount of clutch noise--but that has gone anway. Now, all I really get it some clunking in the front end (may not even be the trans at all, but I need to make sure of that first) when I creep forward from a dead stop at a light........
Hi Sirhawkeye,

If you would like to have the clunking sound escalated, let me know via PM. I think you know the drill. Take care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6769MOPARS View Post
I'd escalate to one of the Ford reps who monitor this forum and this thread or find another dealer. I had no problems getting the TSB installed. My service tech takes my word.......
We have no complaints after almost 1000 miles.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6769MOPARS View Post
Yes, there is a TSB for the tranny. Get 'er done. ......You'll see that there have been some who have had shifting problems with the Dual Clutch Transmission which is a manual that shifts under computer control. The software update has resolved almost everyone's complaints. The latest TSB for the transmission is 12-01-04A. We bought our Focus in late November (it was built August 9th) and it shifts beautifully.
Yes, there is an update for SYNC and the MFT. It should be here this quarter. If you just have SYNC and no MFT, there are updates you can download from www.syncmyride. com.
Then you should be just fine. It's a great car.
6769MOPARS,

Thanks for the shout out and the great advice you provided to your fellow poster. It's appreciated.

Quote:
Now at almost 2000 miles still having those problems but worse.........
Hi tj2004ruby,

to the Forum.

I'm the residential Ford help on the forum. Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, your personal and dealer contact info. I'll have a Customer Service Manager assist you with this concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Take a look at your Owner's Manual for the Message Center between the speedometer and tachometer. There is a setting for "hill assist" that can be set to on or off.
The "on" setting will apply the brakes when transitioning from stopped to moving when on a hill and should keep the car from rolling backwards. Maybe yours is set to the "off" position?
Hey dan50,

Thanks for the information.

For those interested on more information about the Hill Start system, if equipped, you will locate it under the Driving section of the Owner Guide.

Take care everyone!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 02-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #709
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 87765
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 2,159, Level 28
Points: 2,159, Level: 28 Points: 2,159, Level: 28 Points: 2,159, Level: 28
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Hey everyone.

For those of you who are new to the forum, welcome! I'm Noemi's partner, Jaclyn. I'm the In-Vehicle Technology expert.

Anyone who is experiencing SYNC, MyFord Touch, or navigation-related concerns, send me a PM with your VIN and some additional details. I'd be happy to help out!

Jaclyn

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 02-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #710
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
I finally got the 12-1-4 update and the transmission is much more responsive. I will give the transmission a chance to relearn itself. They used the parking lot to test the transmission. This puts the issue to rest! I expect things to get better from here!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.