Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 70 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #691
kelscar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88165
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 kelscar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thank you Noemi, you provide a great service to this forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #692
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelscar View Post
Thank you Noemi, you provide a great service to this forum!
Thank you Kelscar. I appreciate your patience. A PM with information concerning your order has been sent to your attention. Please keep me posted.

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 01-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #693
MurphyPeoples
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92727
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 MurphyPeoples Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
I have some good news!

I got a call from the dealer a few minutes ago. He talked to engineering on Monday and there were a few other Focuses with the transmission issue. He says there is a newer TSB coming out for the transmission (12-01-04?) and that I will be called back on Thursday with instructions.

I will postpone my other appointments as it looks like I might be making some progress with my dealer.

I will PM Noemi and let her know that my dealer called me back.

(note I copied this post from a 2012 Focus General Discussion thread since them seem to run parrallel)
Danyall - I'm very interested in what you find out. Please keep us posted. I'd ask that you try to determine what your average fuel mileage is BEFORE you take the car in for the TSB install. And then let us know after a week or so what your mileage is then. From everything I've read on this site, most everyone has experienced a tremendous loss in MPG once having a TSB update. Yes, the noises are greatly reduced in the process, but fuel consumption goes up. Since this is often the case - I'm of the mind to keep my 33MPG I'm getting and run the transmission until it fails. Since I've gotten the extended warranty, it gives me this luxury.
Murphy
Old 01-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #694
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPeoples View Post
Danyall - I'm very interested in what you find out. Please keep us posted. I'd ask that you try to determine what your average fuel mileage is BEFORE you take the car in for the TSB install. And then let us know after a week or so what your mileage is then. From everything I've read on this site, most everyone has experienced a tremendous loss in MPG once having a TSB update. Yes, the noises are greatly reduced in the process, but fuel consumption goes up. Since this is often the case - I'm of the mind to keep my 33MPG I'm getting and run the transmission until it fails. Since I've gotten the extended warranty, it gives me this luxury.
Murphy
Murphy, it has been several weeks (beginning of January) since our Focus received the TSB update for the transmission. Mileage dropped by 1 mpg the first week to just over 29 mpg.

Three weeks later, our average mileage is back to where it was before the update (30.4 mpg).

If others have experienced a "tremendous loss" in mileage, maybe they are having too much fun with the throttle.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #695
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Murphy
I will! I have yet to be called back by my dealer about the TSB, but hopefully I will get the call today. So far since I got the car, I averaged 32.8 MPG and my tank of gas, I got 34.5 MPG. I drive my car a little hard, but I will keep track and report back to you.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #696
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
I got a call back from my dealer who said they will call back on Monday and schedule an engineer to test drive my car. Here is part of the letter I wrote to Neomi:

The dealer called me back and told me that they will again call on Monday. They are getting an engineer from Detroit/Dearborn to come out and test my car. Once they know when they will stop by South Florida, I will get further instructions to have the test drive done.

Though my questions is why am I having difficulties with the TSB update when most people got theirs done with no questions asked. Are the posters lying? (I did not write this in my letter, but I am going to add that I am not implying that the posters are misleading, but the fact many people got it done successfully casts doubts for me. I felt like that I am an exception to the rule and also kept in mind that another poster responded to my concerns, but it did not help me.)

I will bring the MT and NYT article, as well as setting up my phone's internet to the TSB thread to provide them evidence that the TSB is necessary and to provide proof that many people have theirs done.

I hope a resoultion comes soon and I really do not want this to be my last Ford.

This is what I wrote and I am also going to add that if that if I decide to move on, I will get my grandfather to move on, when he buys his next car (circa 2015).
Old 01-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #697
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
From everything I've read on this site, most everyone has experienced a tremendous loss in MPG once having a TSB update. Yes, the noises are greatly reduced in the process, but fuel consumption goes up. Since this is often the case - I'm of the mind to keep my 33MPG I'm getting and run the transmission until it fails. Since I've gotten the extended warranty, it gives me this luxury.
Murphy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6769MOPARS View Post
Murphy, it has been several weeks (beginning of January) since our Focus received the TSB update for the transmission. Mileage dropped by 1 mpg the first week to just over 29 mpg.
Three weeks later, our average mileage is back to where it was before the update (30.4 mpg).
Hey MurphyPeoples & 6769MOPARS,

The transmission updates should have no direct effect on fuel economy. However, it's possible to have a slight change due to the transmission re-learning driving habits for the shift strategy.

Of course, winter blend fuels and colder ambient weather decreases the fuel economy as well as the vehicle's operating efficiency. Can't wait for summer!

If anyone has concerns about their Focus fuel economy, please shot me a PM with the VIN, current mileage as well as their personal and dealer contact info and I will have a Customer Service Manager assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
I got a call back from my dealer who said they will call back on Monday and schedule an engineer to test drive my car. Here is part of the letter I wrote to Neomi:
The dealer called me back and told me that they will again call on Monday. They are getting an engineer from Detroit/Dearborn to come out and test my car. Once they know when they will stop by South Florida, I will get further instructions to have the test drive done.
Though my questions is why am I having difficulties with the TSB update when most people got theirs done with no questions asked. Are the posters lying? (I did not write this in my letter, but I am going to add that I am not implying that the posters are misleading, but the fact many people got it done successfully casts doubts for me. I felt like that I am an exception to the rule and also kept in mind that another poster responded to my concerns, but it did not help me.)
I will bring the MT and NYT article, as well as setting up my phone's internet to the TSB thread to provide them evidence that the TSB is necessary and to provide proof that many people have theirs done.
I hope a resoultion comes soon and I really do not want this to be my last Ford.
This is what I wrote and I am also going to add that if that if I decide to move on, I will get my grandfather to move on, when he buys his next car (circa 2015).
Hi denyall2010,

Thank your for the update.

I understand your concern. However, be aware, though many of the symptoms posted on this thread sound the same the cause may be different. I would hate to think a dealer would address your Focus issues without exhausting all avenues that will assure your vehicle is in driving condition. So don't think you are the exception to the rule. You're not. Your concern has been properly documented to the CSM and therefore the dealer is taking extra time and care along with the CSM to assure complete and satisfactory fixes.

Again I appreciate your update. Im looking forward to the day you say My Focus is driving beautifully!

Take care everyone and have a great weekend!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #698
G. Jay
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89558
What I Drive: 2012, Kona Blue Sedan SEL w/leather

FF Reputation: 1 G. Jay Good Standing Member
Update and correction

On post 667 I expressed disappointment with transmission shifting after the TSB was performed. I jumped the gun and must correct myself.

I've since found that the post TSB shifting issue I complained of was primarily a traction control system response to icy conditions. It operates so unobtrusively that I at first mistook it for very late shifting.

After more time for the transmission controller to re-learn the car I believe that the TSB is an improvement and I'm enjoying the car again. The car is much more responsive to throttle input and shifting smoother in lower gears. The jury is out on fuel economy because it's gotten a lot colder but initially, at least, it didn't seem to suffer.

Props to Ford on the update. It is a clear improvement and shows good customer responsiveness.

It would be nice if as they continue to improve future calibrations they made updates available for the current cars, at least once more. I'm sure the engineers are improving it rapidly and it would be nice to bring the current cars along. Being responsive to complaints is good. Better still to be proactive in pursuit of excellence.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #699
DLGonzo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94221
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 DLGonzo Good Standing Member
Transmission Problems CSM NO HELP

I have been having some transmission problems on my 2012 Focus Titanium, Built 10/11. When I am traveling at highways speeds and attempt to pass my transmission seems to slip and also when starting out from a stop the lower gears will shift erratically like once I started out making a right on red and in between 1st and 2nd gear there was a long pause like I was coasting in neutral leaving me sitting in the middle of the intersection with traffic closing in on me and then 2nd finally caught. I know there has been a new TSB (12-01-04) for the transmission to fix such problems so I decided to take my car to the dealer to see if they could apply the TSB.

I took my car to the dealer and talked to the Assistant Service Manager and he said he would have his Transmission guy check it out.

Well as luck would have it they could not replicate ANY of the problems and there were no diag codes popping up so they could do nothing to the car. I told him I did not feel safe driving the car if there was a chance it was going to pause like that in the intersection with traffic hurtling at me. It has done this to me 2 or 3 times. He asked me to come test drive it with him in the car to see if I could make the car replicate the problems. So I did and he had me just drive around the dealers neighborhood and so I could not get up to highway speed to show him the slipping and try as I might I could not get the car to do the pause thing, so that was that. While on the way home I was on the highway and stepped on the gas to pass and then it did the slipping thing. When I stepped on the gas the RPMs went up but the speed hardly raised and the little it did it did it very slowly.

The service managers says if they can't replicate the problem then there's nothing they can do. It just feels like they are saying we don't believe you. We have to see if for ourselves.

I am a computer repair person and when a client tells me their computer is acting up I accept what they have to say about what's happening. When it seems it is a software problem, I install any updates to the system software and any updates to programs they are having problems with.. Usually that fixes the problems they are having and the client leaves happy. Sometimes I have to reinstall the OS, including the updates, and the programs, including updates, to fix the problems and the client leaves happy. If I did what the service manager did I would not have any clients.

I am basically telling the service manager that my cars computer is not shifting my transmission properly. It just seems if there is an update to the computer software (12-01-04) to make it shift the transmission more efficiently the best option is update the software so it will shift better and make the customer happy.

HELP!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #700
2012Focus14
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94529
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 2012Focus14 Good Standing Member
I have a 2012 Ford Focus with 5,400 miles on it, and wanted to provide some input on the transmission problem. For me, the transmission was at its worst in stop-and-go rush hour traffic.

I knew about the "wear in" period and that the program that learns your driving patterns and makes adjustments accordingly. However, several people, including family members who work at Ford dealerships, have told me that that the program is meant to fine-tune at the edges, not correct for major problems like Ford has with the transmission in the new Focus. For those of you experiencing problems, I would not expect major changes from the "wear in" period or the car's ability to "learn" your driving style. These provide only very minor improvements/changes.

After 5,400 miles, the local dealership performed the update on the transmission and I will tell you that it is NOTICEABLY better and SIGNIFICANTLY different, even driving 3 miles from the dealership to home. The RPM at idle is higher. It is holding gears FAR longer than it did previously. It is unmistakeably smoother. My initial impression is that the new setting is about half way between where it was before and where the car operated when in Sport mode.

For anyone who has transmission problems and has not had the new update applied, I highly recommend having that done ASAP. I have been frustrated with my Focus for many months and have regretted my purchase almost every day.

I hope that the update truly fixes the problem when it is at its worst -- in rush hour traffic. If it does not, I will be trading in my Focus and never buying another Ford vehicle again. Which is difficult to say, given that I grew up in a Ford family.

Bookmarks & Social Networks