Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 67 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #661
Grinder
Banned

Fan#: 85627
What I Drive: 2003 CD silver SVT

FF Reputation: 10 Grinder Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerp View Post
I understand how these work. I am a former auto tech/ service advisor that left the profession long ago and am up higher on the automotive food chain now (Quality Engineer in an automotive manufacturing plant). I did explain to him that the transmission felt "lazy" and shifted too early since day one and he blew it off as the adaptive strategy trying to learn how to "adapt" to my driving style. Really? Seriously? Takes it nearly 9 months and 18k miles to learn my driving habits!? Bull$h!!!!!!

Back in my day we would persue the complaint no matter if it was legitimate or not! After getting off the phone, walking the plant, and talking to some friends who have had similar experiences with the same service department, I wasn't the only one that has had to almost twist their arm to get something simple done (had one guy's F350 diesel for six months over a simple cooling issue thattook less than aday to fix!!!). I called another local dealer a few minutes ago and told them the same thing. They said bring it in, no questions asked.

IMO, if there is a necessary update for a major complaint, FMC Customer Service should have notified every Focus owner that had a Focus built prior to 8/12/2011. Would save a lot of complaints and would save owners a ton of hassle from the dealerships.....
I obviously can't comment about the way this dealer treats their customers, if they have a bad reputation - they likely have it for a reason. But you should know as well as I that the customer doesn't direct a tech's diagnosis and a vehicle that has a symptom mentioned in a TSB should still get a test drive and conventional diagnostics. Based on your post that's what it sounded like they wanted to do. Any dealer who just flashes the thing willy nilly per your request is a moron regardless of how happy that may make you. It's a poor business practice and against manufacturer policy guidelines. I'm willing to bet dealer A and dealer B are gonna do the exact same thing. Dealer A gave you a hard time about it. Dealer B said "sure pal bring it in we'll do what we do thanks for letting us know about a TSB we already know about". If this was an attitude issue, ignore my comments about the technical matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
You are correct here.

However, the 2012 Focus requires an exception to normal processes. By now any competent dealer knows these common issues with the Focus and almost everyone has the same complaint with the transmission. This particular TSB for the Focus is like a huge "service pack" you would have for a Windows PC where it includes Focus issues for the last 6 months. It's not only for the transmission.
When Ford determines that ALL vehicles will require a "service pack" they will release a notification called a Field Service Action (Recall). The fact is that NOT everyone has this complaint. There ARE a lot of folks that just don't like the way it works normally. When you release a message that says "we know there is an issue and here is what to do about it" or if you have a message that says "we figured out a way to make this thing work more to your liking" it tends to make folks with NORMAL cars think "Hey! Maybe mine is just broken!" Next thing you know you can't tell the good cars from the bad cars.

All TSB's are handled EXACTLY the same way. If EVERYONE needs the "fix" it becomes a recall or FSA. If a focus owner is concerned with their car, they should take it to a reputable store and let the experts figure it out. I've already gotten into it with folks on here for suggesting that their car may NOT be broken and that it could just be their expectations.

In natural interwebs fashion that simple, rational and (likely if you ask me) suggestion became "You think EVERYONE is just crazy....you're a clandestine Ford rep....you're a troll......you don't belong here because you don't own one..... etc.

In reality, this isn't something new to me and I volunteer my input in hopes that someone will consider something other than "the dealer and Ford are out to rip me off, the car is gonna kill me and this thread accurately represents the Focus experience."
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #662
boogerp
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93980
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SE hatch

FF Reputation: 1 boogerp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
I obviously can't comment about the way this dealer treats their customers, if they have a bad reputation - they likely have it for a reason. But you should know as well as I that the customer doesn't direct a tech's diagnosis and a vehicle that has a symptom mentioned in a TSB should still get a test drive and conventional diagnostics. Based on your post that's what it sounded like they wanted to do. Any dealer who just flashes the thing willy nilly per your request is a moron regardless of how happy that may make you. It's a poor business practice and against manufacturer policy guidelines. I'm willing to bet dealer A and dealer B are gonna do the exact same thing. Dealer A gave you a hard time about it. Dealer B said "sure pal bring it in we'll do what we do thanks for letting us know about a TSB we already know about". If this was an attitude issue, ignore my comments about the technical matters..
This was more of an attitude issue Grinder; basically a person who came from the old school that listened to the customer's concerns even if they weren't legitimate vs. the "I don't give a rat's ass about warranty work I want paying work" mentality. This same dealership is well known in two major car clubs for sporadic but mostly inferior workmanship in most cases. I did take my car to another dealer and yes they did drive my vehicle and I provided them with the information (and specific input on what I was feeling while driving). Hour and half later the car was re-calibrated and what a difference to the good. No shudders from traffic lights and it holds in gear longer when going uphill; even didn't need to apply much gas pedal backing up as before. Beforehand I was starting to regret getting the DCT, but now, not anymore... Now my question is why Ford couldn't get it right on the first time.....

Damn, no burnout smiley.....
Old 01-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #663
G. Jay
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89558
What I Drive: 2012, Kona Blue Sedan SEL w/leather

FF Reputation: 1 G. Jay Good Standing Member
I haven't seen anyone respond that the transmission TSB was not great so I may as well chime in. I have an early car with minimal shudder. The main frustration was clunky 1-2 shifts and lack of progressivity in the shift strategy. It would lug at low to mid throttle then suddenly with a little more throttle it became rev happy Ricky Racer.

Now it is better at launch and what little shudder there was is gone. At very light throttle it is still fine but anything more and it's suddenly back to its Ricky Racer ways. I'm talking 4000 to 5000 rpm before it shifts and I'm just barely accelerating. Part of the issue seems to be temperature related. At 40F it's not so bad. If it is 0F outside it is terrible. I can hardly wait for a truly cold day!

UPDATE: SEE POST 702

Last edited by G. Jay; 01-29-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #664
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,844, Level 32
Points: 2,844, Level: 32 Points: 2,844, Level: 32 Points: 2,844, Level: 32
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogodzilla View Post
Geez, talk about reading into a post. There are some differences between a DCT and a standard automatic, which I had gotten used to in my old GTI. Which mean I wasn't surprised when they were in my Focus.

So what's the deal with your snarky 'Focus drivers are unsophisticates in the heady world of European-style transmissions' comment?
Didn't mean to sound snarky. Just weary of the inference that the user is the problem rather than the DCT. It's a flawed device released with bad (and still not right) software - that's the reason there are an abnormal number of complaints. Ford may make this thing right - we'll see.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #665
dan50
Focus Addict

Points 2,844, Level 32
Level Up 63% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
[QUOTE=FordCustomerService;3973614]Hey Dan50,

Thanks for your comment and question.

Ford is keenly aware there are Focus owners experiencing issues with the transmission. This is why software updates can be obtain through the dealerships certified technicians and continual education of the transmission technology is provided to current and future Focus owners. If anyone has a transmission concern, myself and Natasha will be more than happy to provide the necessary assistance. However, we are unable to do so unless the requested info is provided, such as the VIN, current mileage, personal and dealer contact info. So if your Focus is not running smoothly, I'll be more than happy to contact the regional Customer Service Manager on your behalf.

As for the clutch, you are correct. The U.S uses the dry version, which does not require transmission fluid and therefore eliminates the need for a transmission oil cooler and internal oil pump.

Thanks for the offer Noemi, but I'll let my dealer take care of the problem. As soon as Ford figures out what to do, that is.

I was encouraged by your acknowledgment that Ford is aware of the problem. Until I saw the solution was to further educate Focus owners about transmission technology. If Ford thinks this is an issue because we owners don't know what to expect, it's a hopeless situation. Ford released a product before it was ready - no amount of owner education is going to solve that.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #666
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,219, Level 35
Points: 3,219, Level: 35 Points: 3,219, Level: 35 Points: 3,219, Level: 35
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
[QUOTE=dan50;3973865]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hey Dan50,

Thanks for your comment and question.

Ford is keenly aware there are Focus owners experiencing issues with the transmission. This is why software updates can be obtain through the dealerships certified technicians and continual education of the transmission technology is provided to current and future Focus owners. If anyone has a transmission concern, myself and Natasha will be more than happy to provide the necessary assistance. However, we are unable to do so unless the requested info is provided, such as the VIN, current mileage, personal and dealer contact info. So if your Focus is not running smoothly, I'll be more than happy to contact the regional Customer Service Manager on your behalf.

As for the clutch, you are correct. The U.S uses the dry version, which does not require transmission fluid and therefore eliminates the need for a transmission oil cooler and internal oil pump.

Thanks for the offer Noemi, but I'll let my dealer take care of the problem. As soon as Ford figures out what to do, that is.

I was encouraged by your acknowledgment that Ford is aware of the problem. Until I saw the solution was to further educate Focus owners about transmission technology. If Ford thinks this is an issue because we owners don't know what to expect, it's a hopeless situation. Ford released a product before it was ready - no amount of owner education is going to solve that.
Hello Dan50

Never is it our intention to insinuate our current and future Family members are incapable of understanding our products and technology. However, our job is to inform customers of the vehicle's features and technology from the moment they walk onto a dealer’s lot and onward. This is what I am speaking of. If anyone has a question, we are here to research and provide an answer, regardless of the level of knowledge the owner may have of their Focus. If there is a concern, again, we are here to assist, which also includes researching and rendering an answer to address the issue. We do not serve "cool-aid" to our Family members. Frankly, I have a personal dislike of cool-aide. We supply honest and direct answers to our Family members, both current and future, as best we can and with integrity.

Again, if anyone has a concern with their Focus, I as well as my fellow co-workers, are here to assist, not serve cool-aid, and make sure the issue is addressed. However, we are incapable of doing so if:

1. We are not made aware of the issue by the individual.
2. The information necessary to provide a more enhanced assistance in not provided.
3. The concern raised is in actuality the normal functioning of the vehicle.

Looking forward to a great relationship between Ford and Focus owners!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 01-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #667
dan50
Focus Addict

Points 2,844, Level 32
Level Up 63% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
[QUOTE=FordCustomerService;3974457]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Hello Dan50

Never is it our intention to insinuate our current and future Family members are incapable of understanding our products and technology. However, our job is to inform customers of the vehicle's features and technology from the moment they walk onto a dealerís lot and onward. This is what I am speaking of. If anyone has a question, we are here to research and provide an answer, regardless of the level of knowledge the owner may have of their Focus. If there is a concern, again, we are here to assist, which also includes researching and rendering an answer to address the issue. We do not serve "cool-aid" to our Family members. Frankly, I have a personal dislike of cool-aide. We supply honest and direct answers to our Family members, both current and future, as best we can and with integrity.

Again, if anyone has a concern with their Focus, I as well as my fellow co-workers, are here to assist, not serve cool-aid, and make sure the issue is addressed. However, we are incapable of doing so if:

1. We are not made aware of the issue by the individual.
2. The information necessary to provide a more enhanced assistance in not provided.
3. The concern raised is in actuality the normal functioning of the vehicle.

Looking forward to a great relationship between Ford and Focus owners!

Noemi
Noemi, I do think it's great you and your colleagues monitor this forum. I think you can certainly be of help when dealers are uncooperative, unhelpful or unknowledgable, which is not the case for me.

My frustration is really more directed at Ford for releasing a product that was not up to their usual standards. Based on past experience (and three test drives) I had faith that buying a Focus was a safe bet; now I'm not so sure. The concept of the Focus is terrific, the execution (in my case at least) not so much.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #668
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
My frustration is really more directed at Ford for releasing a product that was not up to their usual standards. Based on past experience (and three test drives) I had faith that buying a Focus was a safe bet; now I'm not so sure. The concept of the Focus is terrific, the execution (in my case at least) not so much.
Well said and I agree.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #669
boogerp
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93980
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SE hatch

FF Reputation: 1 boogerp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
Well said and I agree.
X2......
Old 01-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #670
s&hford_owners
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90185
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 s&hford_owners Good Standing Member
Ford bought our Focus back

Just giving an update on our Focus. We bought our car in July, build date is in May 2011. We probably had the car a few weeks total, the remaining time was at the dealer trying to get the tranny problem resolved. They made many attempts to repair it but it always had the same issue. Finally Ford agreed to Lemon Law our car and everything has been finalized.

We were very sad to lose the car. Ours was getting great gas mileage and was very confortable. We are not sure if we should keep an eye on this site and wait to replace it with another Focus. Hopefully they can get this resolved.

Please keep posting your build dates if you are having any issues. The inside door panel will give you the date. It's helpful not only to other owners but to Ford as well. Based on our experience, somehitng is wrong internally with the tranny. They did every update and kept replacing our clutches because they would burn up, and the car never stopped shuddering at low speeds.

Good luck to you others who are still having issues. I hope they get everything fixed soon. I'll be driving our little Fiesta everywhere for awhile...no problems with that but it is a manual!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.