Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 58 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #571
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Finally got my car back today. After two tries, the paint on the hood is fixed and not orange peeled, and the color match is perfect.

The chipped headlight is also being covered under warranty, and to my surprise, I found four other units at the nearest dealer that had the same issue. Might be something to keep an eye on. So, that being said, a replacement headlight is on order, should be in next week.

The RF suspension clunk could not be replicated. Could just be the car loosening up after a thousand miles. I shall keep tabs on it for now; if it gets worse, I was advised to bring it in.

Glad to have my car back and start enjoying it again.

Also, Natasha, muchas gracias for the assistance in helping get my issues resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #572
tim1960
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92625
What I Drive: 2012, blue,ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 tim1960 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
locking problem

2012 ford focus with 10,000 miles. intermittently central lock doesn't work, car will honk twice when taking off and will not lock with fob or with central button, also will not unlock with fob, lights flash but car does not unlock except with key. then for days will work fine. taken to dealership 5 times can't find out why, has anyone seen this?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #573
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1960 View Post
2012 ford focus with 10,000 miles. intermittently central lock doesn't work, car will honk twice when taking off and will not lock with fob or with central button, also will not unlock with fob, lights flash but car does not unlock except with key. then for days will work fine. taken to dealership 5 times can't find out why, has anyone seen this?
Hi Tim 1960,

to the board!

I would like to bring this issue to the attention of your regional Customers Service Manager. PM your VIN, contact info, mileage as well as dealer information to begin the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Finally got my car back today. After two tries, the paint on the hood is fixed and not orange peeled, and the color match is perfect.

Glad to have my car back and start enjoying it again.

Also, Natasha, muchas gracias for the assistance in helping get my issues resolved.
Hey Zillion,

I'm sure Natasha will say "de nada". I will relay the message to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flingwing1969 View Post
Sure will. Here is a post I made at two other threads - you can quote me:

I continue to marvel at how pleasant this car is to drive - I do believe I like it much better than my 1967 Corvette (gone in 1969), my 1969 Corvette (gone in 1971), or my 1968 E-Type Jag (gone in 1973). None of these cars gave me the road hugging feel and confidence that my SEL gives me - I do really love to drive this machine on the 13 miles of curvy, narrow, tree-shaded country roads to and from my ranch on in the hills!
Hey Flingwing1969,

I'm quoting you!

The image you invoke makes me nostalgic. I recently visited the hills of NC; think another trip is in order

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 12-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #574
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1960 View Post

Mine seems to do similar things like this... sometimes it will lock with one click... other days i have to mash on the fob several times, even standing right next to the car, and it will usually lock. I have noticed that it usually doesn't lock immediately after I close the door and press the lock button on the fob. Found that sometimes I have to wait 5-10 seconds for it to lock. But it's a bit annoying, especially when you're in a rush.

Does the car do this as a preventative measure or something, or to distinguish from accident clicks or something?

Some days it's a hit or miss. Some days, it works fine each time, and other days it's like it doesn't want to luck until I get impatient....

(My 2010 that didn't have the integrated fob didn't ever have this problem...)

Buit my concern now is the update for the transmission. Are dealerships required to do the updated if you ask? Because my care exhibits maybe 1 or 2 of the few issues this update fixes (but not all of them). But then again ,I'm still a bit used to a traditional transmission, so I might be thinking that there is something wrong, when its just that a DC system (with an "automated" manual) operates and sounds differently than your typical automatic.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:39 AM   #575
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It would be nice if we had the programming operation for the 2012 central locking like we had for the earlier Focis. You might want to try that operation to see if it still works. I can't remember offhand what it was, but basically you go through a set of key turns and lock button presses, and then that resets the locking. Basically you go from locking/unlocking only the driver's door, to l/u all with one press. Then if you prefer simply the driver's door unlock with one press/all doors with 2 presses- you go through the same procedure again, and it will revert back. I still have mine set to unlock all with one press- but I'm not afraid of someone jumping in suddenly even though I live in the #2 violent crime city in the USA.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #576
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
Sirhawkeye,

My dealership did my update. It just was not shifting correctly one time for a 10 minute period .. but then got better. The delaer told me that the update will help all around drivability of the car. They did the update for free and the car does run smoother.

I would say be upfront with the dealer and have them install the updates.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #577
andiron
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92716
What I Drive: 1992 Chevrolet Silverado

FF Reputation: 1 andiron Good Standing Member
Decision Made

I test drove the new 2012 Focus with Sport package and package 203a. It was equipped with the "automatic" transmission. I have to say after a long day of driving different vehicles both my wife and I left the dealership thinking that the new Focus was the best car we had driven. We test drove the new Elantra, Mazda3, Scion tC, a used 2008 Milan, 2012 Kia Rio5SX. We sat in a few other cars without the drive. For example, the Veloster, Mazda6, Fiesta etc. I remember reading a review in one auto magazine saying the new automatic in the Focus was to be avoided and that the manual was a better choice. BUT, we were impressed by the feel of the Focus, nice ride, quiet, cornering with the sport package solid and fun....and thought the gas mileage reasonable. Well, thanks to reading all the comments here in this forum I will not be purchasing the Focus. Sad, because if it weren't for reliability issues this would have been super high on the list. So...I went and drove an SE with the sport package and a manual. I love to drive and want the sport of it but have to say that all things considered the automatic just felt way better in this car. Again...this is a bummer since so many people have had problems. The reviews both professional and consumer indicate that there are too many issues not to take notice. So I will move on and look at other vehicles.

The nature of the internet is that you only hear from people when they are complaining. With this said, the professional reviews, Consumer Reports and the persons complaining in this forum all make too compelling a case for me to ignore. I'm sorry for those of you who have suffered but I'm going to benefit from your troubles. Hopefully Ford will listen. Unfortunately, a good reputation is hard earned and easily lost.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #578
kelscar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88165
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 kelscar Good Standing Member
Conversely, I went ahead and ordered a car because after spending nearly 6 months on this forum, I feel confident that the most prevalent issues were related to earlier build cars and have since been addressed. With the exception of MFT which is slated for a major update next spring.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #579
booman35
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88972
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 booman35 Good Standing Member
It appears that some others have noticed disappointing gas mileage in their 2012 Focus and I just wanted to add our experiences to the thread and see what people think.

We have had our Focus Titanium since the end of June and to date we have driven it nearly 13000 km (8100 miles). Over about 30 fill-ups, our average fuel mileage (probably evenly split between city and highway) is 7.9 L/100 km (29.8 MPG). Not bad, but nowhere near what I was hoping for from a car that is rated 27 city and 37 highway (8.7 L/100 km city and 6.4 L/100 km highway).

Where we have noticed a huge discepancy is in our city mileage. Twice we have driven primarily in the city between fill-ups and both times the fuel economy has been horrible - 11 L/100 km (21.4 MPG) and 9.9 L/100 km (23.8 MPG).

By comparison, the best mileage that we have achieved was during a trip (primarily highway) from Toronto to New Jersey and back where we saw results of 6.0 L/100 km (39.2 MPG), 7.8 (30.0), and 6.3 (37.3).

Interestingly, my dealer recently performed a test that apparently showed that my car should be getting 6.8 L/100 km (34.6 MPG) in city driving. However, real life results are obviously not showing that to be true. For some reason, they also told me that I would start seeing better results after 20000 km (12500 miles). This after they told me earlier that I would need 10000 km (6250 miles) to break in the car. From what I've read here, it should only take 3200-4800 km (2000-3000 miles) to break in a new car. The dealer did not try to explain the discrepancy or try and figure out why there was such a big difference or offer suggestions to improve my fuel economy - they only said what fuel mileage I should be getting...

I am not a hypermiler but I am also certainly not Leadfoot Larry. I drive very close to the speed limit (in the city and on the highway) and I do not accelerate quickly from a stoplight. I reset my mileage after every fill-up and I track my mileage religiously in an iPhone app. I do not drive around with the A/C cranked up and the windows open while hauling around cinder blocks in my trunk.

Obviously, to this point, I am very disappointed in the fuel economy that we have been seeing from our Focus. After the first six months, it has been getting much worse city mileage than my 2002 Hyundai Elantra (which has 180000 km-113,000 miles-on it). And the highway mileage has not been much better than my older car either.

I am at a loss to explain why the mileage is so poor. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated (especially from those who have found the same issues).

Thanks. Paul.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #580
andiron
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92716
What I Drive: 1992 Chevrolet Silverado

FF Reputation: 1 andiron Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelscar View Post
Conversely, I went ahead and ordered a car because after spending nearly 6 months on this forum, I feel confident that the most prevalent issues were related to earlier build cars and have since been addressed. With the exception of MFT which is slated for a major update next spring.
Perhaps you decision will make you a happy camper. When I look at the big picture I come down on the side of..."why take the risk?". There are so many other cars to consider. Don't get me wrong...I'm bummed. Actually, the upcoming ST version next March would probably be even more fun. And I do like the feel of the seats, look of the interior/exterior, quietness compared to others in class and handling. But buying a new car shouldn't be accompanied by worries of reliability issues. I don't say your decision is wrong. You calculate....I calculate....and we make the best decision for ourselves as possible. Me personally, even if they fixed the problems I'm not willing to gamble. In the end I wish no one problems...even to prove a point. If they turn out to be fixed and a great bargain...good for you!

Bookmarks & Social Networks