Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 53 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #521
gpinnell
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91849
What I Drive: 2012

FF Reputation: 1 gpinnell Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Natasha: After driving it through a pretty much full day the transmission reset seems to have resolved the shudder at acceleration. The service manager had a theory that the computer was not quite timing the engine increase with rpm with the connection of the clutch leading to a low rpm shudder. I kinda had to agree with this as I have seen this on a manual transmission if you didn't give it enough gas early on in 1st gear shifting leading to a "shudder". The problem may be solved.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #522
bones302
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91479
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 bones302 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack2000 View Post
I have a 2012 Focus Titanium that I bought in August and I haven't really had any issues. After hearing about all the transmission issues people are having, I did take it back to the dealership and have them look at and reprogram the transmission. It now works great! The one thing I noticed is that my mileage doesn't seem to be as good as advertised. It is averaging 31.2mpg and the best I have ever gotten was 35.3mpg with all interstate driving. I'm wondering what kind of mileage is everyone else getting?
My last tank averaged 23mpg. Have to say I'm extremely disappointed so far. I have an appointment at the dealer on Friday (took it in yesterday but they said they couldn't diagnose it while it was raining ). Anyway, we'll see what happens. Also have a grind when the transmission shifts into 2nd. I think the whole thing may be related to a transmission/clutch problem.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #523
gpinnell
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91849
What I Drive: 2012

FF Reputation: 1 gpinnell Good Standing Member
In combined driving I was getting 30.9 mpg and that was before the reset. My reset is only a day one and will let you know how it goes. I have a pretty light foot on the gas so hoping to stay at least in the low thirty range
Old 11-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #524
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

Points 1,517, Level 22
Points: 1,517, Level: 22 Points: 1,517, Level: 22 Points: 1,517, Level: 22
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
I am getting 33 mpg in mixed driving.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #525
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,149, Level 34
Points: 3,149, Level: 34 Points: 3,149, Level: 34 Points: 3,149, Level: 34
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpinnell View Post
Natasha: After driving it through a pretty much full day the transmission reset seems to have resolved the shudder at acceleration. The service manager had a theory that the computer was not quite timing the engine increase with rpm with the connection of the clutch leading to a low rpm shudder. I kinda had to agree with this as I have seen this on a manual transmission if you didn't give it enough gas early on in 1st gear shifting leading to a "shudder". The problem may be solved.
Terrific! Thanks for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack2000 View Post
The one thing I noticed is that my mileage doesn't seem to be as good as advertised. It is averaging 31.2mpg and the best I have ever gotten was 35.3mpg with all interstate driving. I'm wondering what kind of mileage is everyone else getting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bones302 View Post
My last tank averaged 23mpg. Have to say I'm extremely disappointed so far. I have an appointment at the dealer on Friday (took it in yesterday but they said they couldn't diagnose it while it was raining ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpinnell View Post
In combined driving I was getting 30.9 mpg and that was before the reset. My reset is only a day one and will let you know how it goes. I have a pretty light foot on the gas so hoping to stay at least in the low thirty range
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtncpa View Post
I am getting 33 mpg in mixed driving.
bones302, glad you have an appointment today. Let me know how it goes!

As far as fuel economy, you'll get a more accurate measurement after 2-3K miles on your Focuses. These tips may help too - Fuel Saving Tips.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #526
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
As far as fuel economy, you'll get a more accurate measurement after 2-3K miles on your Focuses. ~Natasha
My first tank provided me travel around town until we went for our first road trip - I did a partial fill after about 140 miles and averaged 28.7 mpg. Our trip was 360+, mostly freeway driving maybe 5% city & country roads, and we got 38.5 mpg and I was happy. I filled up again and did a manual calculation, finding that my actual was a tad higher. Next day I drove 40 miles all but 2% freeway, driving the speed limit, and I got 44.9 mpg, indicated as I pulled into the driveway.
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe
Old 11-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #527
CourtneyNYC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86057
What I Drive: 2010 - Sterling Gray&2012 White Ti

FF Reputation: 1 CourtneyNYC Good Standing Member
Interesting week with the Focus . . . nothing bad, just interesting.

First the MFT system decided to update itself the other day. . . no problem. About 30 minutes later I stopped, ran in to post a letter and jumped back in the car.

Before I started it or did anything . . . BOOM. . . BOOM. . . BOOM . . . from all sorts of directions. I didn't figure out what it was at first and was ducked down in the seat thinking something bad was happening in NYC. Suddenly I realized I was getting low frequency bursts from all 10 of the speakers in what seemed to be random order at full volume. I was laughing at myself after I figured out what it was. No clue what happened but thought I'd share in case one of you "comes under what sounds like mortar attack".

Then I called the dealer. When I first got the Focus there was a crunching sound as the right rear window was raising. They looked at it and sure enough it was delivered with a broken regulator. The dealer ordered it and it was here in a couple days.

After trying 6 times to get in . . . I finally called and told them "times up, we're doing this at 10:00am tomorrow".

It took about 2 hours and the guy wheels up, gives me the key and wishes me a happy holiday. Off I go and when I get back to the office something told me to look.

Sure enough . . . . a big gap where the door panel had been mangled on reinstallation.

I called the dealer and was livid.

I told him I was bother by TWO things.

First . . . it's just REALLY shitty workmanship. Replacing a regulator is not brain surgery.

Second . . . and more troublesome . . was that someone did this INTENTIONALLY. This isn't like swinging a door closed, listening behind you and assuming it closed. Someone had to LOOK right at this, say it was complete and give it back to me.

This is the overwhelming problem with Ford dealers. What a shame.

Anyway . . . the dealer and I have a new set of rules. I've spoken to the owner. I'll be back on Monday and it will be properly repaired and I will stand right there and watch. In the future I will stand and watch all work get done and photograph anything I want.

Anyone that has a problem with that, is hiding something and that tells me I need to seek another source of service.

Service is the Acheillies heel of the American automobile industry.

But . . .the car . . .now with 10,000 miles on it in 90 days . . is driving fun and providing efficient, economical service as a daily driver.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #528
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,149, Level 34
Points: 3,149, Level: 34 Points: 3,149, Level: 34 Points: 3,149, Level: 34
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by flingwing1969 View Post
My first tank provided me travel around town until we went for our first road trip - I did a partial fill after about 140 miles and averaged 28.7 mpg. Our trip was 360+, mostly freeway driving maybe 5% city & country roads, and we got 38.5 mpg and I was happy. I filled up again and did a manual calculation, finding that my actual was a tad higher. Next day I drove 40 miles all but 2% freeway, driving the speed limit, and I got 44.9 mpg, indicated as I pulled into the driveway.
Nice improvement! Love the pic as proof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyNYC View Post
Anyway . . . the dealer and I have a new set of rules. I've spoken to the owner. I'll be back on Monday and it will be properly repaired and I will stand right there and watch. In the future I will stand and watch all work get done and photograph anything I want.
Oh, I am sorry to hear that. Good idea on speaking to the owner about your experience. Please keep me updated, and send me this dealer's info & your VIN again so I can document this, if you like.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #529
bones302
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91479
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 bones302 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bones302 View Post
My last tank averaged 23mpg. Have to say I'm extremely disappointed so far. I have an appointment at the dealer on Friday (took it in yesterday but they said they couldn't diagnose it while it was raining ). Anyway, we'll see what happens. Also have a grind when the transmission shifts into 2nd. I think the whole thing may be related to a transmission/clutch problem.
Good news is, my last tank averaged 27mpg, so there was an improvement. The bad news, however, is that the dealership is not interested in trying to address any of the issues I'm having. After replicating the grinding, I was told by the service manager that there was nothing they could do because Ford hasn't released any bulletins saying there is an issue/fix. Basically they have no idea.

On the mileage issue, I took one of the mechanics out for a ride while he logged the mileage on a laptop. On the highway, averaged ~30mpg, with 29.4mpg being the round trip total. The mpg actually went up AFTER we got off the highway. Their response to that was that they got over 40mpg when they tested it on the highway Wednesday. Funny, because when I picked it up on Wednesday they said they didn't test the mileage...

Couldn't possibly be more upset. Just shelled out 26k on my first NEW car, and it's a POS that Ford isn't remotely interested in fixing. The thing couldn't even make it a month. Thinking about eating the loss and trading it for a Toyota. For all their potential, Ford just still can't get anything right.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:19 AM   #530
bikerfuzz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91919
What I Drive: 2010 gray s.e

FF Reputation: 1 bikerfuzz Good Standing Member
OK SO I PICKED IT UO AFTER 3 days at the dealer. According to them.. The smaee was a chemical used to coat the engine and parts while in transit to prevent damage during shipping. It is supposed to be removed BEFORE I get the car. Second They replaced a VAVLE, in the tranny. Also had to re program the tranny to teach it new patterns.This was done to try and fix the problem. Which was it wont engage in a gear.,(see previous post). Well lengthy discussion with ford. I wait for theur responce. Dealer has been great so far. Guess it helps to know them.. But NOW.... my mileage is down to 18-19 m.p.g.'s/ Prior to this I was at 22.5-25 around city The shift points have changed too. It now winds out and revs ti 3-4k in 1st and 2nd gear rather than up shift quickly... iM GETTING THE SAME MILEAGE AS A BIGGER ALTIMA FUSION OR JEEP.. Tell me again why I traded in my truck? iTS BRAND NEW AND HAS NOW1400 MILES ON IT.....

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.