Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 38 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #371
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,845, Level 32
Points: 2,845, Level: 32 Points: 2,845, Level: 32 Points: 2,845, Level: 32
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
Yeah we already heard that song before.The problem is that the Powershift Transmission was half baked when Ford put it on the market.And the salesman and dealership technicians know very little about selling and maintaining them.Until all kinks are known and corrected,I would not recommend that transmission to anyone.
Amen. It wasn't just Ford, other companies (VW Jetta TDi) seem to have similar downshifting clunking (like my car has) and rattling problems. Only difference is that those problems arise at 60k miles, not 3k. Either way, the rattling (at idle) is indicative of a failing dual mass flywheel. As far as I know, mine only rattles when shifting from 3rd to 4th, but I've never checked for rattling at idle.

I just hope my transmission goes before my 6 year 125k mile warranty - because I don't want to have to pay for this.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #372
ch2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90799
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 ch2012 Good Standing Member
shudder problem and possible fix

I purchased my 2012 focus at the end of June. I immediately noticed the shudder and stalling feeling when stopping and going. I drove it a few months thinking this was normal with this type of transmission. I then started having issues with the car cranking extra long when starting it. In September I finally had enough and scheduled with my dealership to have this looked at. I had a light come on that looked like the letter i in a box that was red. All I could find about this was that red meant a serious problem and it would go away after the problem went away. This came on when the car wasn't even started and was gone within 30 seconds. I got right in with my dealership. They were able to reproduce this with a code of U0140. I had the BCM and PCM replacedand the PCM reprogrammed. They had also told me they replaced the converter but this is not on my paperwork. One draw back was they were not familiar with this model yet and had my car for 16 days while they figured out how to fix it. Once I got my car back the shuddering and stalling feeling was gone. I also realized that the locking delay was also fixed which I hadn't said anything about. My gas miliage had been low but thought it was because I hadn't driven the car very much to see a big improvement. My gas miliage doubled with in an hour of driving after getting it from the shop. There is still a different feeling when picking up speed but it doesn't shudder anymore. I had only 600 miles on it when I took it into the shop. My dealership said that this problem had been posted on their bulletin and what needed to be fixed. I feel so much better now that I have had this fixed but am still some what leary with it being so early to have to fix a problem like this. My dealership also provided me with a rental they paid for while they had my car.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #373
DanteCaspian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57473
What I Drive: 2012, Platinum, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 DanteCaspian Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by s&hford_owners View Post

PS. To all the people that bad mouth other people's problems, do not critize others as to each circumstance is different. This car is having issues and need to be addressed. It's never fun to waste $20,000 to $28,000 on a peice of junk that you thoroughly test drove (we test drove ours twice) and did all your due diligence before signing the dotted line, especially in these economic times. If you want to bash somebody, go find another place to hang out.
Well said.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #374
nydriver
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90846
What I Drive: 2012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 nydriver Good Standing Member
Shake and Grind

Yes, I have the same issues as the rest of you with the shaking and my car has 2400 miles. No change. In addition, there is a grinding noise when the car shifts from first gear to second. Does this happen to anyone else? Also, if I'm on a decline and put the car in reverse, the car creeps forward as I take my foot off the brake, then makes a loud clicking sound as it engages in reverse. I took it to the shop and had a test drive with a tech. He agreed with me that this was not normal. They had a look, called Ford and came back with the same answer...that this is all normal. I've been driving Fords for 20 years and have always loved them. Very unhappy Ford customer at the moment. I may take it to another dealer for service but Smith Cairns Ford in Yonkers NY could not help. I'm tired of wasting my time and bought a new car so I would not have to go in for service.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #375
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,162, Level 34
Points: 3,162, Level: 34 Points: 3,162, Level: 34 Points: 3,162, Level: 34
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by s&hford_owners View Post
He did some reprograming in the system to help with our transmission that does not repsond and shakes violently. He took it for a drive and told our dealer that this is all normal.

We picked up the car on Wednesday. As I was trying to get on the freeway from the dealership I nearly got in a wreck because the car would not accelerate at all. The car continued to rev up the entire 20 miles home. Upon getting home, I went to back it into the garage when it started jerking through the gears while in reverse.
Hi s&hford_owners,

It's very beneficial that your dealer is seeking direction from engineers. Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can review your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I just hope my transmission goes before my 6 year 125k mile warranty - because I don't want to have to pay for this.
Saw your other post on the dealer's resolution. Keep me updated on your Focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch2012 View Post
I purchased my 2012 focus at the end of June. I immediately noticed the shudder and stalling feeling when stopping and going. My gas miliage had been low but thought it was because I hadn't driven the car very much to see a big improvement. My gas miliage doubled with in an hour of driving after getting it from the shop. I feel so much better now that I have had this fixed but am still some what leary with it being so early to have to fix a problem like this. My dealership also provided me with a rental they paid for while they had my car.
Great jump in fuel economy! It can be startling to need a repair so soon, but there's no need to worry about long-term effects. I'm glad your dealer made it as convenient as possible. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nydriver View Post
Yes, I have the same issues as the rest of you with the shaking and my car has 2400 miles. No change. In addition, there is a grinding noise when the car shifts from first gear to second.
nydriver,

I know this must be upsetting, but I am here to help. Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I'll escalate your situation.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 10-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #376
Beepster
Banned

Fan#: 88947
What I Drive: Black 2012 Elantra GL

FF Reputation: 1 Beepster Good Standing Member
Here's an update.The vibration issue went from "bearings issue" to "we know but we wont say until new magic parts are produced!" I didn't invent that BS that came fresh from the dealership service manager!Apparently the TSB with the fix should appear in a week or two.Yeah,but I was told the same bs more than 10 weeks ago.Also ,I'm suppose to believe that it only cost 5000$ cdn to replace the transmission,left driveshaft,bearings ,spindle and hub.Sorry but I dont buy this crap.Also now the door lock problem went from a 5 second delay to not at all on certain occasions and the "double click" trick doesnt work.

If I win the lottery,the first think I'll do will be to set that car on fire!
Old 10-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #377
cbaldree
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 88737
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus titanium Hatchbac

FF Reputation: 1 cbaldree Good Standing Member
Hey Everyone - I just had TSB 11-10-2 done. The transmission is much smoother and shifts well. I still detect some shutter but at a tolerable level. I still hear a noise when the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd, but not all that bad. The bad problem I'm having is steering noise when the wheels are turned right or left. I think this same issue is causing road noise problems at highway speeds.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #378
Plink02
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90885
What I Drive: 2012 Red Ford Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Plink02 Good Standing Member
2012 Focus Tranmission Shudder

Hi everyone:

I also bought a new 2012 Focus this past Spring. From the day I drove the car off the lot, I noticed the transmission shudder. My hope, similar to many of you, was that it would work itself out. In September, after 8,000 miles and no change to the shudder, I brought the car back to the garage at the dealer (Prime Ford in Saco, ME).

The car was in for an hour, and the tech applied the tsb 11-09-05 to the car. He told me that he could feel the shudder, that Ford knows the shudder exists but there wasn't currently a "fix" available. The tsb would help, but he wasn't guaranteeing a fix. I asked when the fix would be available, and his message was, "maybe if enough focus owners raise the issue a recall would be announced". In other words, not soon enough.

I subsequently called Ford Customer Service to inquire when the shudder fix would be available. I did not get a direct answer to my question, but was told I should bring my car back to the garage (Prime) to make sure that all steps in the tsb were followed correctly. Back to the garage I went.

The garage kept the car this time from Tues. 9/20 to Sat. 9/24. I was told halfway through the week that the tech (same tech as visit #1) was working closely with Ford to run a series of tests where the results would be sent to MI then feedback would be given. I picked up the car on Saturday and was told that the shudder was gone.

No sooner had I started to drive away from the dealership, then did I notice that the shudder was definitely not gone. And on top of that I had a new problem, the car was shooting up to much higher RPM's than it should be for normal driving. I drove the car for 2 days to see if either problem would go away, and they did not.

I brought my focus back to the garage for a 3rd visit on Tuesday 9/27 and have not seen my focus since (3 weeks on Tuesday for this visit, if anyone is counting). This visit has been the worst from a customer service standpoint - the first week I called the garage every 2 days asking for an update. I again heard that they were "coordinating with Ford" and didn't have tangible updates for me yet. I got so frustrated with the lack of information that I physically went to check on my vehicle last Monday (10/10). To my surprise, my focus was 10 feet in the air on a lift and clearly disassembled (the front tires were on the floor next to the car).

The service manager took me into his office and gave me "his side" of this story. They felt that they were running out of options to fix the shudder. Their contacts at Ford Corporate told them to take the transmission out of the car (why did they not tell them to do this 1 or 2 visits ago?) and check for signs of wear in suspicious places. There were none. The contacts then told them to go ahead and replace the clutch assembly (again, why were they not told to do this 2 visits ago?). Now for the best part - when the tech and his team had the transmission out, and were replacing this clutch assembly, they realized that they were missing one part (a snap ring) and couldn't finish putting the car back together. This realization occured on Wed. or Thurs. 10/5 or 10/6.

My car has been in this position (front tires off, waiting for the snap ring) since Wed. or Thurs. 10/5 or 10/6. The message I heard last week from the garage is that this part is on backorder and Ford said it could be up to 3 weeks on the part.

One other important question that the service manager had for me was if I had thought about moving forward with the Maine Lemon Law procedure. He noted that he felt I had a particularly "bad egg" because they (and their regional contacts) had serviced many 2012 Ford Focus's without seeing this problem yet.

I adore my everything about my Focus except for this shudder. The gas mileage has been phenomenal, the features are exceptional and overall it's a very fun car to drive (except for the shudder). It wasn't until I saw my car on the lift disassembled (without my knowledge), and know that it is still in this condition and could be for an undetermined amount of time that I decided to move forward. I sent a Final Notice to Repair Letter to Ford last week, which was received on 10/14/11.

Should the shudder not be repaired in the next 7 business days I will be moving forward with the Maine Lemon Law process. I'm very disappointed that my situation has come to this (I've never filed for Lemon Law protection before and my extended family have always been Ford-faithful). My hope is that a resolution will come in due time.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #379
Beepster
Banned

Fan#: 88947
What I Drive: Black 2012 Elantra GL

FF Reputation: 1 Beepster Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plink02 View Post
Hi everyone:

I also bought a new 2012 Focus this past Spring. From the day I drove the car off the lot, I noticed the transmission shudder. My hope, similar to many of you, was that it would work itself out. In September, after 8,000 miles and no change to the shudder, I brought the car back to the garage at the dealer (Prime Ford in Saco, ME).

The car was in for an hour, and the tech applied the tsb 11-09-05 to the car. He told me that he could feel the shudder, that Ford knows the shudder exists but there wasn't currently a "fix" available. The tsb would help, but he wasn't guaranteeing a fix. I asked when the fix would be available, and his message was, "maybe if enough focus owners raise the issue a recall would be announced". In other words, not soon enough.

I subsequently called Ford Customer Service to inquire when the shudder fix would be available. I did not get a direct answer to my question, but was told I should bring my car back to the garage (Prime) to make sure that all steps in the tsb were followed correctly. Back to the garage I went.

The garage kept the car this time from Tues. 9/20 to Sat. 9/24. I was told halfway through the week that the tech (same tech as visit #1) was working closely with Ford to run a series of tests where the results would be sent to MI then feedback would be given. I picked up the car on Saturday and was told that the shudder was gone.

No sooner had I started to drive away from the dealership, then did I notice that the shudder was definitely not gone. And on top of that I had a new problem, the car was shooting up to much higher RPM's than it should be for normal driving. I drove the car for 2 days to see if either problem would go away, and they did not.

I brought my focus back to the garage for a 3rd visit on Tuesday 9/27 and have not seen my focus since (3 weeks on Tuesday for this visit, if anyone is counting). This visit has been the worst from a customer service standpoint - the first week I called the garage every 2 days asking for an update. I again heard that they were "coordinating with Ford" and didn't have tangible updates for me yet. I got so frustrated with the lack of information that I physically went to check on my vehicle last Monday (10/10). To my surprise, my focus was 10 feet in the air on a lift and clearly disassembled (the front tires were on the floor next to the car).

The service manager took me into his office and gave me "his side" of this story. They felt that they were running out of options to fix the shudder. Their contacts at Ford Corporate told them to take the transmission out of the car (why did they not tell them to do this 1 or 2 visits ago?) and check for signs of wear in suspicious places. There were none. The contacts then told them to go ahead and replace the clutch assembly (again, why were they not told to do this 2 visits ago?). Now for the best part - when the tech and his team had the transmission out, and were replacing this clutch assembly, they realized that they were missing one part (a snap ring) and couldn't finish putting the car back together. This realization occured on Wed. or Thurs. 10/5 or 10/6.

My car has been in this position (front tires off, waiting for the snap ring) since Wed. or Thurs. 10/5 or 10/6. The message I heard last week from the garage is that this part is on backorder and Ford said it could be up to 3 weeks on the part.

One other important question that the service manager had for me was if I had thought about moving forward with the Maine Lemon Law procedure. He noted that he felt I had a particularly "bad egg" because they (and their regional contacts) had serviced many 2012 Ford Focus's without seeing this problem yet.

I adore my everything about my Focus except for this shudder. The gas mileage has been phenomenal, the features are exceptional and overall it's a very fun car to drive (except for the shudder). It wasn't until I saw my car on the lift disassembled (without my knowledge), and know that it is still in this condition and could be for an undetermined amount of time that I decided to move forward. I sent a Final Notice to Repair Letter to Ford last week, which was received on 10/14/11.

Should the shudder not be repaired in the next 7 business days I will be moving forward with the Maine Lemon Law process. I'm very disappointed that my situation has come to this (I've never filed for Lemon Law protection before and my extended family have always been Ford-faithful). My hope is that a resolution will come in due time.
Good luck using the Lemon Law.Ford's trick is to file TSB's and say they are working on it.So you're trap an incredible amount of time with a worthless vehicle that you are too scared to use for long trips.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #380
visioncarpentry.nl
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90911
What I Drive: 2012 focus grey

FF Reputation: 1 visioncarpentry.nl Good Standing Member
i bought a 2012 focus mid july and i am now experiencing this same problem you are talking of, however my experiance is much worse. my problem is followed with a grinding and major slip once the car is heated up, it does it when cold as well but its hard to hear. once the car has been driven for about a half hr you can hear the grinding and hesitation over the radio. its also accompanied by an oil leak between the engine and transmittion. my dealer has been no help whatsoever in fact, and i quote. "its normal for new cars to leak a little oil when new, i dont think it will continue" and never once did they look at the grinding and slipping transmition.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.