Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 37 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #361
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 87765
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 2,174, Level 28
Points: 2,174, Level: 28 Points: 2,174, Level: 28 Points: 2,174, Level: 28
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
I don't have MFT on my car(thank god),and noticed that this system has been under fire in the news.In Canada most provinces are banning cell phone use in cars,and at the same time,many are questionning the use of overcomplicated software to manage basic car systems like heat,A/C and the radio.
Ford is not the first car manifacturer to introduce this kind of software,but it made available in cars that most of us can afford.So more and more people are busy struggling with that software to start the radio or AC instead of watching the road.I only got "mykey" and I was surprised on how much attention this thing was getting.So ,I can only imagine how dangerous using MFT can be while driving.
Hi, Beepster!

Our goal for MyFord Touch is optimal, best-in-class performance. Like other technology, performance improvements are achieved through software updates, often based on customer feedback. In regards to safety, our system is designed to utilize voice commands to keep hands on the steering wheel and eyes on the road.

MyKey allows parents to limit speed and audio volume to encourage teens to drive safer and improve fuel efficiency. The key is programmed before use, therefor it does not require any special attention while driving.

If anyone has additional questions, feel free to PM me.

Jaclyn

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #362
Beepster
Banned

Fan#: 88947
What I Drive: Black 2012 Elantra GL

FF Reputation: 1 Beepster Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam View Post
Hi, Beepster!

Our goal for MyFord Touch is optimal, best-in-class performance. Like other technology, performance improvements are achieved through software updates, often based on customer feedback. In regards to safety, our system is designed to utilize voice commands to keep hands on the steering wheel and eyes on the road.

MyKey allows parents to limit speed and audio volume to encourage teens to drive safer and improve fuel efficiency. The key is programmed before use, therefor it does not require any special attention while driving.

If anyone has additional questions, feel free to PM me.

Jaclyn
The indash menu has a lot more menus that are distracting and that I learned to ignore.It took me a few minutes to find how to cancel the traction control.Something that should be easier to access winter time.

As for MFT,voice command is not the answer.In the real world ,most people think that talking to their car is ridiculous.All they want is that one touch of a button the radio is on ,the heater or AC is on or the defrost is on.Going thru some menus and voice commands are robbing some attention that should be kept on the road.It's not because your eyes are on the road that your mind is always there.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #363
theos2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86607
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5Dr Sterling T/401/P/N/W

FF Reputation: 1 theos2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
The indash menu has a lot more menus that are distracting and that I learned to ignore.It took me a few minutes to find how to cancel the traction control.Something that should be easier to access winter time.

As for MFT,voice command is not the answer.In the real world ,most people think that talking to their car is ridiculous.All they want is that one touch of a button the radio is on ,the heater or AC is on or the defrost is on.Going thru some menus and voice commands are robbing some attention that should be kept on the road.It's not because your eyes are on the road that your mind is always there.
I will disagree. And if Apple is the leader in UI, they also disagree with you.(Siri) Seems like Ford/MSFT/Sync are ahead of the curve. Human nature is to resist change, but that does not mean that change is bad.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #364
DanteCaspian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57473
What I Drive: 2012, Platinum, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 DanteCaspian Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hey DanteCaspian,

Have you contacted Ford of Canada at 800.565.3673? If so, and you are still unsatisfied, PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & last servicing dealer name/location so I can help.

~Natasha
On the phone now!
Thanks!
Old 10-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #365
adamc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90587
What I Drive: '12 SE Green Glass 5 Door, 1922 "T"

Points 997, Level 16
Points: 997, Level: 16 Points: 997, Level: 16 Points: 997, Level: 16
Level Up 97% Completed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 adamc Good Standing Member
Natasha,,,PM sent Thank You !

The Trouble with doing nothing, is that you can't tell if you're finished
Old 10-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #366
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,284, Level 35
Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteCaspian View Post
On the phone now!
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamc View Post
Natasha,,,PM sent Thank You !
My pleasure! adamc, thanks for the heads up.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 10-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #367
Beepster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theos2 View Post
I will disagree. And if Apple is the leader in UI, they also disagree with you.(Siri) Seems like Ford/MSFT/Sync are ahead of the curve. Human nature is to resist change, but that does not mean that change is bad.
FYI ,Ford didn't invent any of this.BMW had something similar with the "iDrive" a decade ago,and the complaints were the same,too distracting.The systems may have improved over the years,but they remain too complicated for most normal drivers who want things on in a flick of a switch.When you driving ,your entire attention should be on doing that and not in playing on an "Iphone" on wheel.

Many country,states and provinces are banning cell phone use while driving.In every news story on that subject,complicated onboard GPS and operating systems like idrive and MFT are always under fire.Innovative or not ,most drivers are not techno freaks and won't learn how to use these systems unless they really need to.If a button can turn on the radio and the climate controls,most people won't even try to talk to their car because it just look ridiculous.I'm all for progress,but obviously these systems are far from user friendly for most drivers.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #368
metalmachine
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90794
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford white ford focus se sfe

FF Reputation: 1 metalmachine Good Standing Member
You have to get used to using a automatic manual transmission its not like a traditional hydraulic transmission .
When you come to a stop the transmission disengages and as soon as you take your foot off the brake you'll feel the transmission engage before you touch the gas that is normal.
Some people drive with both feet one on the brake and the other on the gas that will also
Create a problem.
It's a new learning process for the car and the driver
Old 10-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #369
Beepster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmachine View Post
You have to get used to using a automatic manual transmission its not like a traditional hydraulic transmission .
When you come to a stop the transmission disengages and as soon as you take your foot off the brake you'll feel the transmission engage before you touch the gas that is normal.
Some people drive with both feet one on the brake and the other on the gas that will also
Create a problem.
It's a new learning process for the car and the driver
Yeah we already heard that song before.The problem is that the Powershift Transmission was half baked when Ford put it on the market.And the salesman and dealership technicians know very little about selling and maintaining them.Until all kinks are known and corrected,I would not recommend that transmission to anyone.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #370
s&hford_owners
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90185
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 s&hford_owners Good Standing Member
So, here's our update. After we filed a complaint with Ford we took it back to the dealership on Monday. Although Ford had set this up, the Ford engineer did not see it until Thursday. He did some reprograming in the system to help with our transmission that does not repsond and shakes violently. He took it for a drive and told our dealer that this is all normal.

We picked up the car on Wednesday. As I was trying to get on the freeway from the dealership I nearly got in a wreck because the car would not accelerate at all. The car continued to rev up the entire 20 miles home. Upon getting home, I went to back it into the garage when it started jerking through the gears while in reverse. When I finally got the car in the garage, the car reeked of burnt clutch smell. I called Ford immediatly and my dealer to let them know that the problem is now way worse. I told Ford once again that I wanted them to review my case for a lemon/ buy back as they had already denied it once. The rep called me two days later and said that this is still not enough to consider it a lemon law. Her comment was "Well, it not like the transmission has been changed out three times yet."

So we took the Focus immediatly back down to the dealer. On the way down the freeway the car kept revving to 6000 RPM although our speed was steady. Upon exiting and making a rght turn through the intersection, the car did not respond at all when I was pressing the gas. Suddenly an error message popped up stating "Tranmission Hot. Apply Brake and Wait 8 Minutes." So I pulled off on the side of the road and shut it off within sight off the dealer. I let it set a minute and started up agian. I made it to service and the car once agian had an overwhelming smell of burnt clutches which the shop foreman agreed that's what the smell was. Once again the engineer was called back out to look at the car.

The engineer made it out today. He drove the car and finally verified the burning clutches and replicated the "Transmision Hot" warning. Still no codes are showing up when they run a diagnositc. So to further investigate the problem, the engineer took one of the dealer's brand new SEL's and put it on an incline and ended up causing the same failure just running it on a hill (this car had only 12 miles and now it's obviously been pulled off the lot)! The engineer is now going to call the Ford tech engineers to find out what they can do about this.

In summary, the car is unsafe and has a serious tranmission problem. Ford needs to address this as a serious issue. It's strange that another brand new car would have these problems so quickily. And Ford continues to say that this is within normal operating perameters of the car until today.
At this point in time we don't know where Ford stands on this problem. We have been very patient with this process but we have not seen our vehicle for much of the time we have owned it (since July 3).

PS. To all the people that bad mouth other people's problems, do not critize others as to each circumstance is different. This car is having issues and need to be addressed. It's never fun to waste $20,000 to $28,000 on a peice of junk that you thoroughly test drove (we test drove ours twice) and did all your due diligence before signing the dotted line, especially in these economic times. If you want to bash somebody, go find another place to hang out.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.