Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #21
FordService
Official Ford Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Fan#: 79824
Location: Dearborn, MI
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Posts: 4,100
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy627 View Post
Also Natasha, remember that some compromises have to be made for the tremendous fuel economy the car gets. You can adjust the idle speed on any car, but if you do it gulps more fuel when it is idling. I had a car that drove along at a nice clip on city streets without my foot on the gas, but it didn't get 25 MPG in the city (I'm a lead foot). In addition, I agree with the post above- There is a 'fuzzy logic' computer in the transmission. Fuzzy logic lets the car adapt to your driving habits, and it takes a while to learn your habits.
hammy627,

You are correct, the idle speed and shift patterns may be very different from what many drivers expect. Over time, the adaptive learning process fully updates transmission operation. Thank you for the feedback.

~Natasha
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #22
Old TU
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 87303
Location: Garden Grove, CA
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL 5 Door

Posts: 66
FF Reputation: 1 Old TU Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Jellman 123,

Like many others my Focus transmission is getting smoother as it gets more miles on it. I was aware the Focus had a automated manual transmission. The salesman I purchased the car from further explained how the new Focus transmission is different from the smoother "I can't feel this car shift at all" automatics we are familiar.

I was concerned enough by the difference that I read most of the concerns on this blog.
Glad to read Natasha @ Ford is monitoring these concerns. Thank you. All of us should try to understand these transmissions are different. The upside is that they are very low maintenance and more efficient than the automatics of the past.

Most of these messages have been valid concerns. Note that there are few cars that left a person stranded. Most were it feels like it is...... type comments. I really enjoy my new car as I travel more in it and learn about all the features.
Old TU is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #23
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI
 
whynotthinkwhynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Fan#: 18416
Location: the armpit of TN, Memphis, TN
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Posts: 20,066
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Not to be insulting to anyone, but I wonder if this condition is related to driving style. Drive your Ford like you're a teenager until the clutches wear in. I'd even be happier if it took more miles to "break-in" because to a car nut like me that means the clutches will have more life. If the car never stalls- then it's not a problem even if it feels like it's going to stall, it still doesn't, so ok- right?
__________________
Be eclectic.
---The Complete How-To Archive--

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
whynotthinkwhynot is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #24
Dgc333
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85422
Location: Pembroke, MA
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

Posts: 710
FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
In this day and age there should not be any breaking in. If Ford truly believed that the clutches needed to be broken in it should have been done at the factory or at the very least the owner should have been made aware before taking delivery.

All that being said we are just shy of 1000 miles and I have not experienced any of this shuddering or almost stalling. Overall the transmission has been silky smooth and now that i have discovered the Sport mode it's a blast to drive by making the car overall more responsive.

I wonder what percentage of the Focuses with the DCT transmission are having issues.
Dgc333 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #25
FordService
Official Ford Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Fan#: 79824
Location: Dearborn, MI
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Posts: 4,100
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post
In this day and age there should not be any breaking in. If Ford truly believed that the clutches needed to be broken in it should have been done at the factory or at the very least the owner should have been made aware before taking delivery.

All that being said we are just shy of 1000 miles and I have not experienced any of this shuddering or almost stalling. Overall the transmission has been silky smooth and now that i have discovered the Sport mode it's a blast to drive by making the car overall more responsive.

I wonder what percentage of the Focuses with the DCT transmission are having issues.
Hi Dgc333,

I am glad your Focus is driving smooth! There is no extensive break-in to mention, besides what is listed in the owner's manual. It advises to try not to drive continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles of new vehicle operation, and to vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

~Natasha
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #26
Video
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 87345
Location: Suwanee, GA
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium Hatch

Posts: 1
FF Reputation: 1 Video Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've been concerned about this transmission as well.

On my first day of ownership, I drove around for a few miles to show off the vehicle and its high tech features to my sister-in-law. Everything was great and we cruised around without incident--until I tried backing up a 12-degree grade to park on my driveway. The vehicle was unable to travel about 35 feet up this grade and I received a message stating "Transmission Overheating - Wait 8 Minutes".

I was a little concerned (and slightly embarrassed) but as soon as I placed the car in drive, the message disappeared so I tried it again. This time, the same results, but the readout changed to "Transmission Overheating - Wait 9 Minutes". I decided it would be better not to back up the driveway that night.

After a few days of commuting to and from work, I eventually took it back to the dealer, who tried to recreate the problem without success. They suggested that they could keep it for a while longer and give me a loaner until they could get it to behave the same way. Or I could take it home and try to get it to reoccur. I had put around 250+ miles on it by now and when I returned home, the problem had gone away.

As I've driven it more frequently, I've discovered the transmission shudder issue that's been described here. I'm now up to around 750 miles and the reverse issue no longer seems to be a problem, but this transmission hesitation that I've been experiencing is very much like what's been described in the forum.

As for my driveway grade, I no longer bother with backing up, but instead I drive about halfway up to find that the car pauses slightly and then reengages about a second or so later, which allows me to drive the rest of the way. It's not a long driveway. Perhaps only three or four car lengths, but the hesitation has been happening each time for about a week and a half. A similar hesitation happens upon acceleration as I turn into traffic, and this is not a comfortable feeling at all. In fact, it seems very unsafe.

For the last ten years, I've driven a Prius with a CVT. Good acceleration, good performance, and a flawless transmission. When my hybrid battery finally failed, I chose the Focus. So far, my gas mileage has decreased from lifetime 42+ mpg over a lifetime of 188k miles, down to around 34 mpg. But overall, there are other, less tangible benefits.

For now, I'll take the advice of others and see if the transmission behavior improves. Based on the way the vehicle drives, I'm somewhat reluctant to show it off to anyone. Which is kind of a bummer. OTOH, if this condition doesn't improve significantly, it'll be a much bigger bummer.
Video is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #27
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI
 
whynotthinkwhynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Fan#: 18416
Location: the armpit of TN, Memphis, TN
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Posts: 20,066
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm not sure how that particular transmission sensor works, but it is conceivable that tilting at such a grade could cause the sensor to become confused- lack of fluid perhaps. The fuel economy will improve over time- mine did, right about the time I was ready to take it back because it didn't live up to my expectations. With reserved driving techniques you should be able to get 40 mpg hwy, but I doubt combined will be that high.
__________________
Be eclectic.
---The Complete How-To Archive--

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
whynotthinkwhynot is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #28
Usagi
Focus Enthusiast
 
Usagi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Fan#: 64712
Location: Newport News, Va, VA
What I Drive: 2002 SY ZX5

Posts: 496
FF Reputation: 4 Usagi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You have to think about the newer dual-clutch systems like clutches on stick-shifts. Would you expect a new clutch to grab perfectly and without chatter the second you drop it in? Absolutely not, because the clutch material has to "cure" and the surface of both the flywheel and the clutch have to wear into each other before they'll work properly. You have the added challenge of a computer control that is set up to control a broken-in gearbox, not a brand-new one; so the computer won't tend to act quite right until everything stabilizes at the end of break-in.

And RE: the "modern cars shouldn't require break-in". They're MECHANICAL PARTS. Any mechanical parts (especially wear materials and lubricated parts) will require time to wear in. I've taken oil samples from nearly new gearboxes and the oil has been SHINY because of the break-in material wear. The gearing was in perfect condition, and ran quiet and great. All mechanical systems are NOT equal and identical set-ups will wear in differently.
__________________
2002 Focus ZX5 in Zinc Yellow: Steeda Strut Bar, Tom's Tune, Volant CAI with Aux Pipe Extension, SVT suspension, and ST200's.
Usagi is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #29
FordService
Official Ford Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Fan#: 79824
Location: Dearborn, MI
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Posts: 4,100
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Video View Post
I've been concerned about this transmission as well.

On my first day of ownership, I drove around for a few miles to show off the vehicle and its high tech features to my sister-in-law. Everything was great and we cruised around without incident--until I tried backing up a 12-degree grade to park on my driveway. The vehicle was unable to travel about 35 feet up this grade and I received a message stating "Transmission Overheating - Wait 8 Minutes".

I was a little concerned (and slightly embarrassed) but as soon as I placed the car in drive, the message disappeared so I tried it again. This time, the same results, but the readout changed to "Transmission Overheating - Wait 9 Minutes". I decided it would be better not to back up the driveway that night.

After a few days of commuting to and from work, I eventually took it back to the dealer, who tried to recreate the problem without success. They suggested that they could keep it for a while longer and give me a loaner until they could get it to behave the same way. Or I could take it home and try to get it to reoccur. I had put around 250+ miles on it by now and when I returned home, the problem had gone away.

As I've driven it more frequently, I've discovered the transmission shudder issue that's been described here. I'm now up to around 750 miles and the reverse issue no longer seems to be a problem, but this transmission hesitation that I've been experiencing is very much like what's been described in the forum.

As for my driveway grade, I no longer bother with backing up, but instead I drive about halfway up to find that the car pauses slightly and then reengages about a second or so later, which allows me to drive the rest of the way. It's not a long driveway. Perhaps only three or four car lengths, but the hesitation has been happening each time for about a week and a half. A similar hesitation happens upon acceleration as I turn into traffic, and this is not a comfortable feeling at all. In fact, it seems very unsafe.

For the last ten years, I've driven a Prius with a CVT. Good acceleration, good performance, and a flawless transmission. When my hybrid battery finally failed, I chose the Focus. So far, my gas mileage has decreased from lifetime 42+ mpg over a lifetime of 188k miles, down to around 34 mpg. But overall, there are other, less tangible benefits.

For now, I'll take the advice of others and see if the transmission behavior improves. Based on the way the vehicle drives, I'm somewhat reluctant to show it off to anyone. Which is kind of a bummer. OTOH, if this condition doesn't improve significantly, it'll be a much bigger bummer.
Hi Video,

I am here to ensure your concerns are addressed. Please send me a private message with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer name/state so I can get you to LOVE showing off your Focus.

~Natasha
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #30
Offrddrver
Focus Rookie
 
Offrddrver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88002
Location: Phx, AZ
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Metalic Focus SEL

Posts: 12
FF Reputation: 1 Offrddrver Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
All,

My 2012 Focus arrived with the same issues as I see reported above. Shutters with RPM near the 750 to 1100 range. Mostly during exceleration and deceleration is the worst. However, I also notice if the car is in PARK on a slight up hill or down hill and idling it also Shutters lightly.
I too got the Customer Bulletin about "don't adjust anything and tell the customer". My bulletin clearly stated 1000 mile break in period. Well, I'm now at 1950 miles today and it is still shuttering at all the same points noted above. If this thing is learning my driving then it is doing a really bad job of it. By the way I baby this car to try and get the best gas milage, so I'm sure Ford will now tell me that it will take longer due to my "gas saving" driving habits. (Bad gas milage is another story beyond this Trans issue. Nowhere close to 37 mpg.)
After my first service visit and after reading the bulletin I figured I would drive more agressive at the lights and any other excelleration times (FOR ONE TANK OF GAS), but it did not help as already stated. So, I told my dealer I'll be back for round two of service, but I'm sure they will give the same run arround.
(Just to note, I also have a 2004 Ford Expedition that came with a wheel and steering wheel shutter from day one. (Shutter above 65 MPH alone, or above 45 MPH while pulling a trailer.) Ford gave me the run around on this until 12,000 miles. And then they told me that the front end parts are no longer covered after 12000 miles. What the hell happened to the 3 yr 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Now that same SUV has ~97000 miles and that wheel shutter is still present. Ford always said it was just the tires. I changed tires 4 times, and then even changed rims and tires and then changed brake rotors 2x times and the shutter has never gone away.)
LONG STORY SHORT ABOUT THE FOCUS ISSUE - FORD IS NOT GOING TO FIX THIS FOR US UNTIL IT BECOMES A SAFETY RECALL! And it they can find a way to wash there hands of it before 3yr 36k miles they will surely do so, sticking you with the issue until you ditch the vehical!
Happy $27,000.00 for me! You got off cheap at $21,000.00 person from earlier post.

Last edited by Offrddrver; 07-19-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Original MPG posting didn't fit this forum so changed to Transmission issue notes.
Offrddrver is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.