Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 214 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #2131
browndk26
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 162194
What I Drive: 2012 sel

Points 64, Level 1
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 browndk26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster59 View Post
If it was Me... I would not give a 2012 Ford Focus to my daughter. I got one for my wife and had to take it and get her a safer and more reliable vehicle. But if your daughter has never driven before it will be easy to train her to move her foot slowly from the brake to the accelerator pedal. Just tell her the transmission needs a moment to engage before she stomps on the gas. And do not train her to "accelerate around the corner" as we all were with good old torque converter transmissions.

The only problem I see is that if she learns on a Focus she'll think all cars perform that badly and shake and grind and shudder with the clutch slipping. Also, My wife never liked it that she could not see well out the back. So I took the 3 large sized head rests out of the back seat, but we seldom have back seat passengers.

That's about it. I have a good repair (for the moment) and watched the seal repair video. My advice is that if you have ANY clutch slipping (shuddering they call it) OR grinding of gears noise, take it back for repair.

Be warned however, that they are instructed to tell you first that it's because of the way YOU drive AND "the Focus will "learn" the way you drive and (presumably) adjust itself accordingly. Nonsense! Total nonsense!
jeepster59,

I feel safe driving it so I have no problem with her driving it. I am not giving it to her. She likes the car to ride in so hopefully she will like to drive it as well.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 03:46 AM   #2132
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,053, Level 69
Points: 11,053, Level: 69 Points: 11,053, Level: 69 Points: 11,053, Level: 69
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 76 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by browndk26 View Post
Thanks Sailor. All good points and advice. I will definitely teach defensive driving. I grew up in Massachusetts so I learned "offensive driving".

As well as this car accelerates and handles, I find myself being less defensive. Not dangerous but I can definitely get into traffic quicker than in my old 2006 Malibu (which my 20 year old son has now).
East Coast is a good place to learn "Offensive Driving" from my Trucking experience there (grin).

Time & Place for everything, assertive & decisive in heavy traffic is much better than the timid & indecisive driving you see on occasion. Merging from on ramps & changing lanes in traffic is where I've seen the worst examples - to the point of stopping in the middle of the road!

(Motorcycle & Big Rig experience has a lot to do with mentioning defensive tactics from the start)

Seeing a few complaints of "the car didn't move right when I wanted it to - put me in danger" was something that made me cringe, at least some of those were avoidable. That was the reason for including that scenario early in my comments.

Luck!

S.R. #275
Old 05-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #2133
jeepster59
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 137049
What I Drive: 2012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 jeepster59 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoFoTi View Post
hmmm, my 2014 owners manual says oil change every 5K, never exceed 10K, it also says how to reset the oil life monitor (this should have been done but sounds like it wasn't)
OK Got your message. The 2012 book says nothing about oil change interval except, "No more than one year or 10,000 miles. Therefore I mis-interpreted it in a way. So I changed it about every 5,000. If not for that in the book I would have probably stuck with 3,600 miles like with every other car I ever owned.

What I'm saying is, I don't know if this handy dandy computerized oil change warning light comes on with time or mileage, or what. But what I'm thinking, being a low-tech old guy and all... If I had waited for the oil change warning light to come for the very first time at 15,700 miles and two years after purchase, it probably would have voided the warranty. Who knows? Maybe that's part of the plan! I hope not!

I perceive that they think that they have to warn people about when to change the oil because they think people no longer have any mechanical aptitude or knowledge about cars and internal combustion automobile engines, and are unable to determine when it's time for an oil change, because most schools have dropped industrial arts and auto shop from high school curriculums, in favor of computers. :(
Old 05-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #2134
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,875, Level 32
Points: 2,875, Level: 32 Points: 2,875, Level: 32 Points: 2,875, Level: 32
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster59 View Post
I perceive that they think that they have to warn people about when to change the oil because they think people no longer have any mechanical aptitude or knowledge about cars and internal combustion automobile engines, and are unable to determine when it's time for an oil change, because most schools have dropped industrial arts and auto shop from high school curriculums, in favor of computers. :(
Let me tell you, I have talked to some friends of mine, and that statement is absolutely correct. I have many stories.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:58 PM   #2135
jev425
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97314
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, SE

FF Reputation: 1 jev425 Good Standing Member
Well I got the dreaded "rear seal leak". Taking it back in a few days so they can "diagnose" it and go from there.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #2136
Userdenied
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116334
What I Drive: '13 Black Ti Hatch 5-Speed

Points 813, Level 15
Points: 813, Level: 15 Points: 813, Level: 15 Points: 813, Level: 15
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 Userdenied Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Let me tell you, I have talked to some friends of mine, and that statement is absolutely correct. I have many stories.
I have a friend like that... he thought adding 2 quarts of oil was going to fix his engine running rough. It actually had a bad plug and wasn't firing on one cylinder. He also thought his transmission was bad because he had locked his wheel and the car wouldn't turn on...

You really can't be mad at the warnings/suggestions manufactures put on things. Some people need them.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #2137
jonreyna
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109646
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

Points 19, Level 1
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 jonreyna Good Standing Member
rlhiester which dealer did you take your car to?
Old 06-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #2138
hadwin7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 170098
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus se

FF Reputation: 1 hadwin7 Good Standing Member
Just wanted to let all of u know my focus has 33,400 miles and guess what it has been bogging out and vibrating the whole time we have owed it. I think mine is definitely broken in.Same thing goes I have been told it's "normal" I was driving it today the engine light came on and it started bogging out so bad it almost caused me to get into an accident.I took it back to the dealership and now it is reading all kinds of transmission codes and they have to replace several solenoids and they are getting me a rental car.Not sure if that's really gonna fix the problems with this car after doing the research on it.Just Becareful focus owner's because as of right now there's no recall until people start getting hurt I guess.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #2139
jonreyna
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109646
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

Points 19, Level 1
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 jonreyna Good Standing Member
We all need to at least file a complain with the NHTSA,
If we want to get a recall
------------
http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues
Old 06-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #2140
TooOld
Focus Addict

Fan#: 128586
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Grey SE

Points 1,488, Level 21
Points: 1,488, Level: 21 Points: 1,488, Level: 21 Points: 1,488, Level: 21
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 4 TooOld Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadwin7 View Post
Just wanted to let all of u know my focus has 33,400 miles and guess what it has been bogging out and vibrating the whole time we have owed it. I think mine is definitely broken in.Same thing goes I have been told it's "normal" I was driving it today the engine light came on and it started bogging out so bad it almost caused me to get into an accident.I took it back to the dealership and now it is reading all kinds of transmission codes and they have to replace several solenoids and they are getting me a rental car.Not sure if that's really gonna fix the problems with this car after doing the research on it.Just Becareful focus owner's because as of right now there's no recall until people start getting hurt I guess.
It's probably going to take some people volunteering to get hurt before the recall gets going. May even take someone "taking one for the team" and getting killed. In fact, if we find a whole family to get killed in one of these Focus death traps, the world will take notice.

I suggested a few months ago that someone start a campaign to get the Focus transmission fiasco on 60 Minutes, or 20-20, or some similar news show. I think that's going to be our best bet initially.

Still sucks that Ford and Getrag haven't the slightest clue how to fix the crap joke of a transmission we were all forced to purchase since no dealer stocks manual transmission Focuses. And Ford still has no way for a customer to go to a dealership and specify exactly what options they want and place an order for a vehicle. GM and Chrysler have that option. Not Ford.

Until we start seeing some front page CNN style headlines for the Focus killing people, I'm afraid Ford isn't going to come up with a fix for the Focus. Maybe they should just rename it "Pinto II".

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.