Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 212 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #2111
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The problem is that you can't just ask them to replace the clutch assembly anymore. Ford engineers must've received a lot of warranty returned clutches that were "okay". Now the techs have to make a recording with the scantool and send it to Ford so they can view the data and come up with the decision to replace the clutch assembly or call it good. If they called it good, then you have the decision as per Ford engineering. The data must've shown that the shuddering was within "normal range".

They also make you clean an oil contaminated clutch assembly instead of flat-out replacing it. This will open the door to plenty of repeat concerns. This whole DCT thing is such a fiasco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #2112
MooseTheGoose
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 155106
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 MooseTheGoose Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
They also make you clean an oil contaminated clutch assembly instead of flat-out replacing it. This will open the door to plenty of repeat concerns. This whole DCT thing is such a fiasco.
Thanks for the reply! This is what makes me the most nervous. I'm so close to the 60k mile warranty limit, and I don't have much confidence that the reprogram is going to solve anything long term, which means the eventual full replacement/repair will probably end up coming out of my pocket.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #2113
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
This whole DCT thing is such a fiasco.
You can say that again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseTheGoose View Post
Thanks for the reply! This is what makes me the most nervous. I'm so close to the 60k mile warranty limit, and I don't have much confidence that the reprogram is going to solve anything long term, which means the eventual full replacement/repair will probably end up coming out of my pocket.
Yep. This was the major driving factor in me trading mine in. I had 5,000 miles left on my ESP warranty and Ford was giving me the run-around about the obvious problems with my car. Not only could I not stand the vibrations, clattering noises, and poor performance, I had concerns about being stuck with a bill to fix a car that I had been complaining about for many, many months.

It cost me a lot... but I am SO GLAD that it's gone. And I no longer have to worry about fixing it down the road.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #2114
pdegrado
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 156122
What I Drive: 2012 pearl black focus

FF Reputation: 1 pdegrado Good Standing Member
My focus has been reprogramed three times is still shuttering and stalling. they tell me it is the way I drive it. I have owned a lot of cars in my time but have never had one that drives this bad want to set it on fire or run it off a cliff.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #2115
mjb457
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96645
What I Drive: 12 Focus SE , 03 PT Cruiser GT

FF Reputation: 0 mjb457 Newbie
FORD needs to EXTEND WARRANTY 10 years 150 k miles on all DCT's in order to make the consumer feel secure (in good faith for free)!!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #2116
2012 Focus Christy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 156682
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Green

FF Reputation: 1 2012 Focus Christy Good Standing Member
Disgusted with my 2012 Ford Focus

I bought my Focus in August 2011, had it build the way I wanted and waited almost three months until it finally showed up.

At the time I had not purchased the extended warranty....thank god I finally did! I have had the absolute worst experience ever with the car. I purchased this car with the thought of keeping it for the long haul, not going to happen.

I currently have 47,000 miles on this car and it about got me killed last week by a tractor trailer. Yes you guessed it, I pushed on the gas pedel and it DID NOT GO.
Let's see so far I have had to replace the passangers side window motor at 33K miles, at 42K miles the alternator went out, they replaced the wiring in my car to the trunk since the lights refused to work...that started after I bought it and finally got that fixed at 42K miles. I have had the transmission worked on not once but twice and now it goes back today AGAIN to have it worked on one more time.

So today's scheduled appointment is for the Transmission, plastic falling out of my trunk since they didn't put it all back correctly when they worked on the wiring, a large screw fell out somewhere in the back seat of my car. And the grandest of all is the wiring in the steering wheel is wachy, nothing like watching your MPG roll in front of you and not be driving and having your button for the music and station change just stop working.

I do not feel at all SAFE in this car and I feel as though I am being ignored at the dealership I am taking my car. I have a small child and this whole situation is absurd.

I don't want to hear the shifting will get better once you drive it a few miles. I have 47K on this car and it keeps getting worse. I must admit that this has been the worst 24K I have ever spent on a vehicle.

If anyone at FORD is reading these posts it would be nice to hear from someone.

Last edited by 2012 Focus Christy; 04-17-2014 at 07:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #2117
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 Focus Christy View Post
I bought my Focus in August 2011, had it build the way I wanted and waited almost three months until it finally made an apperance.

At the time I had not purchased the extended warranty....thank god I finally did! I have had the absolute worst experience ever with the car. I purchased this car with the thought of keeping it for the long haul, not going to happen.

I currently have 47,000 miles on this car and it about got me killed last week by a tractor trailer. Yes you guessed it, I pushed on the gas peddel and it DID NOT GO.
Let's see so far I have had to replace the passangers side window motor at 33K miles, at 42K miles the alternator went out, they replaced the wiring in my car to the trunk since the lights refused to work...that started after I bought it and finally got that fixed at 42K miles. I have had the transmission worked on not once but twice and now it goes back today AGAIN to have it worked on one more time.

So today's scheduled appointment is for the Transmission, plastic falling out of my trunk since they didn't put it all back correctly when they worked on the wiring, a large screw fell out somewhere in the back seat of my car. And the grandest of all is the wiring in the steering wheel is wachy, nothing like watching your MPG roll in front of you and not be driving and having your button for the music and station change just stop working.

I do not feel at all SAFE in this car and I feel as though I am being ignored at the dealership I am taking my car. I have a small child and this whole situation is absurd.

I don't want to hear the shifting will get better once you drive it a few miles. I have 47K on this car and it keeps getting worse. I must admit that this has been the worst 24K I have ever spent on a vehicle.

If anyone at FORD is reading these posts it would be nice to hear from someone.
of every DCT problem I have read about here, it is the bogging down at highway speeds which is far and away the most dangerous. I wish this one problem alone would attract the attention of the NHTSA
Old 04-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #2118
leomon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90856
What I Drive: 20120 Focus Titanium - SterlingGrey

FF Reputation: 1 leomon Good Standing Member
Ouch,

Try the lemon law, if you cant get it through trade it in for a used japanese car.

Have it inspected by a third party and have fun!
Old 05-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #2119
redhart
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 160562
What I Drive: 2012 white Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 redhart Good Standing Member
I bought my 2012 Focus from a dealer with 40,000 miles on it....it has the same issue and is not getting any better. It seems to have less hesitation when the gas tank is full and it is cool outside but there are always times it is worse and at times better. My dealer told me 'there may be an update available for this issue' but couldn't tell me if it was covered by warranty and basically didn't show any concern to help. And the original post in this thread is correct....it CAN BE DANGEROUS if pulling into oncoming traffic and is one of those "worse" times.

It seems to me if Ford was watching these posts, the shear number of them should get their attention and a "fix" would be available. Is it going to take someone getting badly hurt or killed?

Last edited by redhart; 05-02-2014 at 06:08 PM. Reason: wasn't finished
Old 05-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #2120
jeepster59
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 137049
What I Drive: 2012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 jeepster59 Good Standing Member
2012 Focus transmission

You can see my original posts starting on about page 96. I never had any cutting-out at highway speeds. If I had I would have gone the Lemon Law route immediately. Sorry to hear you almost got leveled by an 18 wheeler. The internal clutch and seal repair I got is still doing well. Only chattering I have now is slight on the first shift from 1st to 2nd when I first take off in the morning when its not warm.

I bought a brand new one like you did. at 15K miles it now runs like I expected it to. But I have learned to drive it a bit differently and will definitely take it in if it starts slipping and chattering again

I have to take responsibility for buying the vehicle in the first production year. Anyone who has car buying experience knows better than that. Some things simply never change. The new transmission was designed to save on gas mileage and the problems with it seem to have been corrected by the 2013 production run. It was marketed as an economy car and that "Power Shift transmission" nonsense (which there is no more mention of whatsoever) was only dreamed up to attract more young buyers, in my opinion.

I took a CTS wagon and have spouted off about never buying another ford, but I am not getting any younger, and have decided that my next car when the optional extra warranty I bought on the Focus expires will be the Mustang Boss 302 or the closest thing to it with a good V6. The last Mustang I had was the 2004 (50 year anniversary model) (In its FINAL year of production) I drove it for 98 K miles and never so much as had to change a light bulb, except oil and coolant changes.

I saved the consumer reports review of the 2012 Focus if anyone wants to see it I'll send it to you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks