Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 208 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #2071
twilson92
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119242
What I Drive: 2012 Kona blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 twilson92 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I bought my 2012 Focus SE in September with 40k miles on it. It also shudders. I bought it thinking that this was normal for the 6-speed automatic, but that is not why I am writing.

A few weeks ago I was driving on the freeway and I got a engine light and a beeping warning that the engine was hot. I pulled over, not wanting to warp the head. I had the car towed to my mechanic. He looked it over and ruled out the thermostat and the on-board computer. He suspected that it was caused by the fan relay, which has been written about a lot in FocusFanatics. But he suggested that I check it out at the Ford dealer just in case. I called the dealer and told him what I just described and he said that it would be $500 to replace the computer. Needless to say I did not schedule an appointment.

I drove the car home from my mechanic and left it in the garage for almost 2 weeks. It was 4 degrees the day that it got hot, so I decided to slowly see if it would run again without repair. Sure enough I went from driving around the neighborhood to driving around town to driving 35 miles to the next town and back. No issues. The engine temp holds rock-solid at the halfway mark.

What I am afraid of is that this is an intermittent issue that will come back again. Any one have this issue and what should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #2072
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,772, Level 32
Points: 2,772, Level: 32 Points: 2,772, Level: 32 Points: 2,772, Level: 32
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilson92 View Post
I bought my 2012 Focus SE in September with 40k miles on it. It also shudders. I bought it thinking that this was normal for the 6-speed automatic, but that is not why I am writing.

A few weeks ago I was driving on the freeway and I got a engine light and a beeping warning that the engine was hot. I pulled over, not wanting to warp the head. I had the car towed to my mechanic. He looked it over and ruled out the thermostat and the on-board computer. He suspected that it was caused by the fan relay, which has been written about a lot in FocusFanatics. But he suggested that I check it out at the Ford dealer just in case. I called the dealer and told him what I just described and he said that it would be $500 to replace the computer. Needless to say I did not schedule an appointment.

I drove the car home from my mechanic and left it in the garage for almost 2 weeks. It was 4 degrees the day that it got hot, so I decided to slowly see if it would run again without repair. Sure enough I went from driving around the neighborhood to driving around town to driving 35 miles to the next town and back. No issues. The engine temp holds rock-solid at the halfway mark.

What I am afraid of is that this is an intermittent issue that will come back again. Any one have this issue and what should I do?
Powertrain warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles. The powertrain control module should be included. If you have the warranty book that came with the car, take a look and bring it to a dealer.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #2073
twilson92
Focus Rookie

I called the dealer and he said that he would look into the two issues for $95 per, but that there would be no charge if there is a defect.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #2074
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,794, Level 32
Points: 2,794, Level: 32 Points: 2,794, Level: 32 Points: 2,794, Level: 32
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 11 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
I called the dealer and he said that he would look into the two issues for $95 per, but that there would be no charge if there is a defect.
I ended up paying my dealer $100 to "diagnose" my issues (AKA drive my car around and tell me that there was nothing wrong with it). Months later, I got my clutch replaced and a reprogram.

I'd say if you don't mind paying the $100, you can do it, but I'd go to another dealer because you might get screwed like I did.

For the clutch shudder, they know what the issue is. For the overheating issue, I'm not sure that they'll find anything. Basically, good luck.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #2075
twilson92
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I ended up paying my dealer $100 to "diagnose" my issues (AKA drive my car around and tell me that there was nothing wrong with it). Months later, I got my clutch replaced and a reprogram.

I'd say if you don't mind paying the $100, you can do it, but I'd go to another dealer because you might get screwed like I did.

For the clutch shudder, they know what the issue is. For the overheating issue, I'm not sure that they'll find anything. Basically, good luck.
Is there a bulletin on the clutch shudder that I can refer to?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #2076
dan50
Focus Addict

Points 2,772, Level 32
Level Up 15% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Ford moderators, would you please confirm that this is Ford's policy? The warranty guide is unambiguous: the PCM module, for example, is covered at no cost to the consumer if it fails during the warranty period, provided the vehicle has been properly maintained and not abused or modified.

Particularly in the case of a problem that may be hard to duplicate in a 10 minute exam, the policy this dealer is following actually provides an incentive for them to not find a problem. If a customer has a problem, a dealer should try to find it as part of the warranty at no cost. Or maybe the dealer intends to bill both?

My dealer doesn't behave this way. Are there no standards from Ford?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #2077
OSoOneShot
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 139929
What I Drive: 2012 Red Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 OSoOneShot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have about 27k on my titanium now. And i do agree it is a much different auto clutch then most. Feels somewhat like a manual shift which i love. Def a smooth shifting clutch at this time no complaints so far.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #2078
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,794, Level 32
Points: 2,794, Level: 32 Points: 2,794, Level: 32 Points: 2,794, Level: 32
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 11 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Is there a bulletin on the clutch shudder that I can refer to?
I believe 13-9-4 is the most recent TSB for intermittent clutch shudder and/or transmission fluid leak for both the Focus and the Fiesta (DPS6 automatic transmission)
Old 03-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #2079
twilson92
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I believe 13-9-4 is the most recent TSB for intermittent clutch shudder and/or transmission fluid leak for both the Focus and the Fiesta (DPS6 automatic transmission)
It's amazing! I called the same dealer back and mentioned TSB 13-9-4 and he was completely agreeable that it is covered if under warranty, which it is. I will take it in later this week. Thank you, PratoN!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #2080
dan50
Focus Addict

Points 2,772, Level 32
Level Up 15% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
It's amazing! I called the same dealer back and mentioned TSB 13-9-4 and he was completely agreeable that it is covered if under warranty, which it is. I will take it in later this week. Thank you, PratoN!
From what you've told us so far (trying to charge you for warranty items, not knowing about TSBs), this sure sounds like an incompetent or worse dealer. Give them a chance with this week's repair but you may want to find another dealer. Good Ford dealers exist, but sometimes it takes a little searching...

Bookmarks & Social Networks