Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 200 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #1991
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,928, Level 33
Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
You hit the lottery with the oil seepage
Couldn't have put it better myself. I looked under my car and had never in my life been so disappointed to not see an oil leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #1992
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,928, Level 33
Level Up 19% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Gettin' real tired of your BS...

The dealer said my coolant build up would need a flush if I wanted to get rid of the grime build-up (~$200) and tried to say it could have been a reaction from the distilled (not drinking water with fluorine) water I put in when it was low...

I corrected him and said I saw it in there when it was low and I went to fill it up which is the only reason I spotted the grime/build-up in the first place.

Anyway, he said I could keep driving with it in there and it shouldn't hurt anything (I don't know about that). He said the pressure was 15 psi (the acceptable range is 15-17) and didn't mention anything about it slowly leaking [vapors]...

We'll see about the clutch when I get it back. As for my suspension, he went to give it one more go-around to see if he could get it to clunk.

Strangely, this was probably still my best service experience since I purchased my car.

EDIT: If I need to flush my radiator (on a 2 year old car, mind you), I can do it myself. It may also just be bad coolant?
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=542731
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0...rvoir-pic.html

Turns out Motorcraft orange is pretty much just Dex-Cool... I hope this isn't the start of the Ford coolant sludge epidemic.

Last edited by PratoN; 07-31-2013 at 05:06 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 10:01 PM   #1993
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100905
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Dylan1970 Good Standing Member
I think you just have to find a dealership that has a good reputation. If I had stayed at my original dealer I would still be on square one with the transmission. The only thing I got from them was a two page fact sheet that said the noises were normal. I took that sheet and my car to another dealership and all they had to do was drive the car to admit that there were problems. After a month of waiting I have a totally rebuilt transmission, with mostly new parts and it purrs like a kitten....my car no longer rattles, shudders, or makes the annoying grinding noises. As a matter of fact you can hardly feel it shift it's that smooth. Don't let anyone give you BS, this tranny is not supposed to make rattling noises and it sure doesn't take 10,000 miles to break in either. If you have rattles and shuddering coming from the transmission it will not get better, find a dealer and be a pain in the butt until you get Ford to tear down the tranny and inspect it.....I had a lot of damaged parts that were the cause of the issues. I really believe this is not so much a design issue as it is the fact that most of these cars are leaving the manufacturing plant not being put together correctly.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #1994
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,928, Level 33
Level Up 19% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Got my car back.

1. Clutch still shudders and chatters - no surprise there.
*But one thing I did notice is that my loose ground (G-104) that was tightened to fix my ground fault DTC (P0850_62) seems to have fixed my weird bogging issue where the car wouldn't downshift under moderate throttle but downshifted twice when I pressed it down more. It makes the driving experience better - but still not perfect with the shudders, harsh shifts, and chatter noises.

2. Couldn't replicate the suspension noises. I can't blame them, it didn't do it on my way home and if they had it on a lift to fix the ground wire, it probably won't make noises for a while.

3. Yeah, they wanted to charge me for my coolant issue even though the first flush isn't recommended until 6 year/100k miles. After doing my own research, it looks like the gel stuff in my reservoir is my coolant gone bad when exposed to air (I should also note that I had a slow coolant leak) - meaning it will need to get flushed because it's not providing protection against something (corrosion, I presume). Except it's going to keep coming back unless I find the coolant leak... or unless I take it to another dealership. One other user had the same issue and had his radiator replaced... I'm certainly not going to pay for that.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #1995
wntrwhte
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96410
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 wntrwhte Good Standing Member
Update:

The dealer (very nicely) told me that the seepage shown in the previous photos is rust inhibitor and they kindly wiped it off for me.

Additionally, they do not hear anything when rocking the car. I tried the loaner focus that they gave me and there is no way that is a normal noise that it is making. Additionally, driving the loaner shows me HOW BAD my car really is. I had gotten so used to the clutch slippage, etc that I thought it was normal. This car drives perfect and NOTHING like mine.

I have reached out to FordCustomerService on here, but I am also having my contact pull the relevant TSBs and service notifications in case I need them for an attorney.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #1996
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

Points 535, Level 10
Points: 535, Level: 10 Points: 535, Level: 10 Points: 535, Level: 10
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by wntrwhte View Post
I have reached out to FordCustomerService on here, but I am also having my contact pull the relevant TSBs and service notifications in case I need them for an attorney.
Contacting Ford Customer Service is useless. They'll just take the side of the dealership and tell you "if the dealership says there is no problem, then there is no problem." At least that's all they've ever done in my case.

Keep taking it back.

As inconvenient as it is, every service visit where they fail to fix your issues is another nail in the 'breach of warranty' coffin. If you are seriously planning to sue, repeated and fruitless visits to the dealership will help build your case.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #1997
wntrwhte
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96410
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 wntrwhte Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Contacting Ford Customer Service is useless. They'll just take the side of the dealership and tell you "if the dealership says there is no problem, then there is no problem." At least that's all they've ever done in my case.

Keep taking it back.

As inconvenient as it is, every service visit where they fail to fix your issues is another nail in the 'breach of warranty' coffin. If you are seriously planning to sue, repeated and fruitless visits to the dealership will help build your case.
Well, this is not the only ford contact I have reached out to. I have some other avenues available to me however I would like to try the proper channels first.

I need to get it at least fixed enough to trade it in. I would prefer not to deal with the years it would take to get a lawsuit through, but I would like to at least have the paperwork together so that doing so would not be an issue.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #1998
Flubber2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117539
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Flubber2012 Good Standing Member
Naomi? Natasha? Spare me....

The following is a C&P of my correspondence with Dearborn:

1) With a week of purchasing my 2012 Ford Focus, I noticed problems with the transmission. At 300 miles, the dealership informed these "were normal" and "the nature of the adaptive transmission".
2) At 1000 miles, I was again assured these issues were normal.
3) At 11,900 miles I considered parking the vehicle and pursuing PA State Lemon Laws, but I need the car to get to work, 150 miles per day round trip. 37mpg is the reason I purchased this vehicle.
4) At 30,000 miles, I was again assured there were no recalls or service bulletins regarding transmission issues.

At 50,000 miles, the problem with the transmission became obvious, and a safety risk for me. It does not take a deep search online to find MANY owners with similar problems.

At 53,000 miles I dropped my vehicle off for it's normal oil change, with the note "Transmission continues to malfunction. Now it is a safety concern. Future complaint's will go through Dearborn Customer Service".

Miraculously, there is now a service bulletin that, as I am covered by the extended warranty I purchased, a new clutch is required, no cost to me.

I am a Mechanical Engineer that grew up in Detroit in the 70's. I am a "gear-head", I rebuild antique motorcycles for fun. My high school classmates are well integrated in GM, Chrysler, Ford. My father worked for AMC over in Southfield for years. I am an advocate for US built cars. I have worked for Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 automotive suppliers for 30 years. I do not appreciate getting jerked off by a company I chose, by purchasing a vehicle, to make an investment in.

It's a good thing that they identified this as a problem, because if not, my next stop was the nearest Honda dealership to trade the 2012 Focus in for a 2013 Civic.
I'm sure this will be deleted before JD Powers can log it as a "negative".
Old 08-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #1999
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 314, Level 6
Points: 314, Level: 6 Points: 314, Level: 6 Points: 314, Level: 6
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubber2012 View Post

1) With a week of purchasing my 2012 Ford Focus, I noticed problems with the transmission. At 300 miles, the dealership informed these "were normal" and "the nature of the adaptive transmission".
3) At 11,900 miles I considered parking the vehicle and pursuing PA State Lemon Laws, but I need the car to get to work, 150 miles per day round trip. 37mpg is the reason I purchased this vehicle.
4) At 30,000 miles, I was again assured there were no recalls or service bulletins regarding transmission issues.

At 50,000 miles, the problem with the transmission became obvious, and a safety risk for me. It does not take a deep search online to find MANY owners with similar problems.

At 53,000 miles I dropped my vehicle off for it's normal oil change, with the note "Transmission continues to malfunction. Now it is a safety concern. Future complaint's will go through Dearborn Customer Service".

Miraculously, there is now a service bulletin that, as I am covered by the extended warranty I purchased, a new clutch is required, no cost to me.

I am a Mechanical Engineer that grew up in Detroit in the 70's. I am a "gear-head", I rebuild antique motorcycles for fun. My high school classmates are well integrated in GM, Chrysler, Ford. My father worked for AMC over in Southfield for years. I am an advocate for US built cars. I have worked for Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 automotive suppliers for 30 years. I do not appreciate getting jerked off by a company I chose, by purchasing a vehicle, to make an investment in.

It's a good thing that they identified this as a problem, because if not, my next stop was the nearest Honda dealership to trade the 2012 Focus in for a 2013 Civic.
You should consult the ford rep Crystal here at this board or 'eric at ford" over at ford focus facebook page. They are both ford customer reps who help people get their cases escalated when the dealer has not been helping.
There are TSB's out on the focus and they have specific dates they were published, they can be found in other threads here at this website.
You need to make sure all this is done by Ford so that you don't pay thousands out of your pocket for problems they have been paying for for everyone else.
If you have the receipts from your visits, they can be cross-checked with TSB dates found elsewhere on this website and/or Crystal can see what was already available from ford at the time you brought your car in.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:33 AM   #2000
DrTalz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117761
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 DrTalz Good Standing Member
Thumbs down Continuous shifting issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubber2012 View Post

I purchased my 2012 Focus in May 2011, and have had regular problems. I, too, told the dealer during each service visit of the hesitancy in shifting, and was always given the "run around," with comments such as "this is a new computerized transmission, and that's how they run." As far as other comments about "breaking in the vehicle," that seems absurd.
On my last visit, I was told that I needed a new battery for over $150 dollars, and the process of how a battery energy declines was explained to me. Really? I have an Ed.D.
The Sync system was supposed to be state of the art, and I have received numerous letters regarding updates that take hours at the dealer (won't work when I used USB, and I am a techie). All updates lose previously stored info, so I have to re-enter all locations and phone numbers. When I tagged songs, they were not compatible with my IPod, so that was time wasted. I used to be able to get texts via the bluetooth, but now they aren't recognized.
I am now at 50,000 miles and still experience problems. I was driving in Signal Hill, and my Focus could hardly make the incline, and proceeded at 20 mph on a major street. That, in itself, is a safety issue. I've also tried to pass slow cars on the freeway, and my car ends up slowing when I attempt to speed up. Not the best when trying to get in front of a 18 wheeler!
My friends who are car guys even complain about how it runs and ask why doesn't a new car run properly. And I have to explain what I was told by the dealer and they scoff, reminding me that I got "ripped off" by Ford. I just lost my position, and this car is really not worth the $600 payment, but I owe more than it's worth. I just got a letter from an attorney about the lemon law for 2012 Focuses, and may look into that, especially since there's 208 pages here about the same issues.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.