Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 199 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #1981
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1970 View Post
If you all check out my post, I believe it was #1931....no matter what anyone says you can't drive this car like a normal automatic tranny. You have to realize that this is a manual transmission without driver intervention....at least that's how Ford describes it.
Yes, I understand, I am doing it wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
...am I happy about having a tranny torn out at 13,500 miles, hell no.
13,500 miles! Sheesh! Mine lasted 30,000+ before it developed problems. You must be doing something wrong. You do realize that the DCT is not a 'normal automatic', right? It's really an 'automated manual'.

Quote:
... until mine is fixed....which is hopefully only another week or two away.
And hopefully it's actually fixed when you pick it up. That's an experience that I, too, long to have... someday.

Quote:
For all of you who say that Ford doesn't care is total rubbish, but the fact is they really don't have a fix except to have their techs tear down the tranny...which as in my case is basically a last ditch attempt to find the problem.
They have the fix for my issue. The issue appeared with the replacement clutch, which is obviously faulty. But it still hasn't been replaced yet.

Two weeks ago I replaced a failed hard drive for a user. The replacement drive that Dell sent went bad the next day.

This kind of thing does happen... so why is Ford refusing to replace my clutch a second time to fix the problem that only started when the clutch was replaced the first time? I can tell you why... it's because they don't care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 01:13 AM   #1982
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100905
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Dylan1970 Good Standing Member
First of all, my problems started from day one....it got worse as I continued to drive the car. I can say that after one year of ownership I have yet to have a good driving experience with my car. I guess it's my fault, I didn't do research before I bought the car and my salesman was not very informative either....if I had known this I wouldn't have traded in my 2006. But, I refuse to play the role of being a victim.....I see people on here constantly complaining yet they don't make a move to put pressure on Ford. I have a packet from the BBB that I have partially filled out, the reason I didn't submit a claim yet is because Ford offered to let my dealer make one last attempt to find out what's wrong with my car[B]. I can promise you though, if my car isn't perfect when I get it back I won't sit back and allow Ford to get away with ripping me off. I will submit the claim packet to the BBB and force them to make it right....I refuse to accept the excuse that this is the way the transmission is supposed to be. I also won't be forced to accept less than perfection for the $19,000 I spent to buy this vehicle.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #1983
Turks
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113965
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 0 Turks Newbie
Bottom line is that FORD makes CRAP. They damned well know by now there's an issue and they know too that the "fix" doesn't work because the trans design itself is the issue. They used the consumer to test a prototype trans that was totally unproven.

Anyone paying attention can see that only a few here actaully got them to admit there's a problem.

The rest all have been subject to same stalling tactics and excuses. There is no fix. Those they claim they had a fix don't realize that they just had the old parts replaced with newer junk. In time they will be back where they started.

Unload the garbage A.S.A.P.

Notice there's no Natasha since I called her out on her bogus "help".
She's planted here by FORD for public relations. There's nothing she can do that you can't do yourself.

Has she gotten anyone their money back or another car?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #1984
OhFFS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114209
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 OhFFS Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1970 View Post
I have a packet from the BBB that I have partially filled out... I will submit the claim packet to the BBB and force them to make it right...
The BBB has no power. It's not a government agency that can force Ford to do anything. Is Ford even a member?

I don't want to discourage you from sending in that packet. Maybe it will help. But don't expect it to.

Some pencil-necked myopic MBA exec inside Ford has made a calculation: it's cheaper to sit on these issues and hope they go away than to fix what they know is a huge problem. He has calculated the damage to Ford's reputation from angry owners. He has calculated the loss of future sales. No matter how angry we are, he thinks it's cheaper for Ford to stall and play stupid and hope we go away.

We can change that. Write letters to car magazines. Write letters to your State Attorneys General. Waste time at dealerships bringing the car in for the same issue over and over. Go over the head of the Service Department and talk to management at your dealerships. Submit packets to the BBB. Write to Consumer Reports. Write Ford directly:

Quote:
Customer Relationship Center
p.o.Box 6128
Dearborn, MI 48121

None of these things individually will do jack squat. But all of us doing a few of them will make enough noise to change the calculation of that idiot executive and make it worth Ford's while to do the right thing.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:15 AM   #1985
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100905
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Dylan1970 Good Standing Member
[QUOTE=Turks;4818043]

Unload the garbage A.S.A.P.

QUOTE]

That is easier said than done especially when I'm in the hole for $4000 of negative equity. The only way out of this car is a repossession at this point, there is no dealer in the world who is going to trade me out of this car. Three damn weeks and no sign of parts at the dealership yet.....frustrated, yes I am! I say just put the old parts back in and I'll drive it til it blows up.....then it becomes an insurance claim.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #1986
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Finally got to scheduling my visit - mentioned the clutch slipping as my number one issue to get fixed. Other issues I mentioned (AKA I want them documented) were my suspension clunk (could be TSB or a bad tie rod end or something?) as well as my build-up of gunk in my coolant reservoir.

Wish me luck!

In the meantime, I'll be driving my brother's winter beater:

Last edited by PratoN; 07-30-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #1987
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Can't say for sure about everything yet, but the service guy called and said they couldn't get the suspension to clunk (maybe I'll just try greasing my bump stops myself first?)

I told him I probably had a loose ground wire (G-104) because of my DTC P0850_62 and he said I did and that it took care of the clutch shudder. I have my doubts, but we'll see.

He also had them pull it back in the shop to check the gunk in the coolant reservoir. So we'll see about that tomorrow?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #1988
wntrwhte
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96410
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 wntrwhte Good Standing Member
Well I have more information on my situation.

The issue with my car is NOT the clutch chatter that is common, though it does have a little of that and clutch slippage.

What I am hearing is an intermittent failure of the clutch to disengage fully-- it is the gears grinding together. A loud, metallic grinding as heard on the video I linked to.

Additionally, I have oil seepage under the bell housing where the transmission and the engine join. I have photos to document that.

If you stand facing the windshield on my car, put two hands on the bumper, and rock the car, you can hear what sounds like marbles rolling around in the transmission from the general area of the clutch housing. I have verified with a ford master mechanic, who was kind enough to go rock 20 or so focuses out on his lot, that anything other than ONE CLICK at max travel in each direction when hitting the parking pawl, is normal. The sound I hear, which sounds like metal rolling around in liquid in the transmission is not.

I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow. I explained the seepage and the failure of the clutch to disengage. I am 100% sure that they will not be able to repeat the issue, but thankfully I can replicate the transmission rattle 100% of the time.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #1989
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wntrwhte View Post
Well I have more information on my situation.

The issue with my car is NOT the clutch chatter that is common, though it does have a little of that and clutch slippage.

What I am hearing is an intermittent failure of the clutch to disengage fully-- it is the gears grinding together. A loud, metallic grinding as heard on the video I linked to.

Additionally, I have oil seepage under the bell housing where the transmission and the engine join. I have photos to document that.

If you stand facing the windshield on my car, put two hands on the bumper, and rock the car, you can hear what sounds like marbles rolling around in the transmission from the general area of the clutch housing. I have verified with a ford master mechanic, who was kind enough to go rock 20 or so focuses out on his lot, that anything other than ONE CLICK at max travel in each direction when hitting the parking pawl, is normal. The sound I hear, which sounds like metal rolling around in liquid in the transmission is not.

I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow. I explained the seepage and the failure of the clutch to disengage. I am 100% sure that they will not be able to repeat the issue, but thankfully I can replicate the transmission rattle 100% of the time.
You hit the lottery with the oil seepage - this is such a clear indication of contaminated clutches even Ford techs will take notice. At a minimum you should get new seals and clutches; the real question is will they take it further and see if consequential damage has occurred. Good luck with it, but I think you're on a positive path.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #1990
wntrwhte
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96410
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 wntrwhte Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
You hit the lottery with the oil seepage - this is such a clear indication of contaminated clutches even Ford techs will take notice. At a minimum you should get new seals and clutches; the real question is will they take it further and see if consequential damage has occurred. Good luck with it, but I think you're on a positive path.

I would not have even known to look, but I made a call to someone I know at Ford who is a Master Mechanic for 10+ years and works at a major dealership. I got on the phone with his trans guy who told me all about plugging the thing in and then said "but you should check if there is seepage and take photos. If there is then you'll get new clutches. If there isn't then you probably won't."

For anyone wondering, you can see seepage without even removing any parts from the car. This was clearly visible without removing any trays, but we pulled the tray to get clearer pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/VYEHV for anyone interested.

Bookmarks & Social Networks