Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 195 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #1941
Nickel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114934
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 2 Nickel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
Just for kicks I searched Auto Trader for all 2012-213 Ford Focii w/DCT within a 25-mile radius of my zip code and it returned 26 vehicles. Many are under 20,000 miles.

The one I traded in earlier this month is the most expensive one on the list and it's competing against a couple of other Ti's with less miles. The asking price for one is about $1k less, and another is $3500 less.

In contrast, a search for all manual Focii within the same radius returned only 2 vehicles.

To those who bought the Focus with a manual transmission ya done did good! People seem to be hanging onto 'em.
That doesn't really show anything... since more dct were probably sold new than manuals, many of those on the list are probably also coming from fleet use... while the manuals will be from individuals... now if you had data showing total number of foci in use by individuals, total number for sell previously used by individuals and not fleet use, then you could come up with percentages that showed if in fact manual owners were holding onto theirs more than dct owners.... but 25 vs 2 could mean 1% of dct owners got rid of their foci and 85% of manual owners got rid of theirs, just as easy as the other way around.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #1942
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
That doesn't really show anything... since more dct were probably sold new than manuals, many of those on the list are probably also coming from fleet use... while the manuals will be from individuals... now if you had data showing total number of foci in use by individuals, total number for sell previously used by individuals and not fleet use, then you could come up with percentages that showed if in fact manual owners were holding onto theirs more than dct owners.... but 25 vs 2 could mean 1% of dct owners got rid of their foci and 85% of manual owners got rid of theirs, just as easy as the other way around.....
Well then, let's make it a little more interesting and change the search criteria to any distance from Lebanon Kansas (66952), the geographic center of the contiguous United States of America (any zip would probably work).

Starting with automatic Focii:

You searched for:
Car Type:Used Cars
Body Style:Hatchback
Make/Model:Ford Focus
Year Range:2012 - 2013
Seller Type:All Sellers
Specs:Automatic,4 Cylinder

We found 3,064 used listings any distance from Lebanon, KS.

And now the same search criteria for manual Focii:

You searched for:
Car Type:Used Cars
Body Style:Hatchback
Make/Model:Ford Focus
Year Range:2012 - 2013
Seller Type:All Sellers
Specs:Manual,4 Cylinder

We found 152 used listings any distance from Lebanon, KS.

So, out of a total of 3,216 ICE powered Focii listed on Auto Trader across the country, 5% have the manual gearbox while the other 95% are automatics.

Of course all this is really telling us is that there's significantly more used automatics for sale and your right in the sense that this might have nothing to do with the DCT issues. Also, when you account for the total number of 2012 and 2013's sold this number is rather small, but it's interesting nonetheless. It would take quite a bit more research to draw any serious conclusions,
Old 06-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #1943
focusstu
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103157
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus S 5MT

FF Reputation: 2 focusstu Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.Uc7qx5yjKwQ

This link is an article that says that about 10% of new Foci are purchased with manual trans. I look at Auto Trader a lot too. It seems that whenever there is a Mk3 Focus selling for a really low price, it is an automatic. Then again, almost all of the Focus rentals are automatic, and they get turned over quickly and at low prices. Just from reading this forum and other pubs, it seems that manual trans owners are more satisfied than automatic owners.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #1944
moms focus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116470
What I Drive: 2012 white focus

FF Reputation: 1 moms focus Good Standing Member
shudder

our car has 8000 miles on it and when you start out it shutters. dealer said it would smooth out but it still shutters!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #1945
cavedog309
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100919
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 cavedog309 Good Standing Member
Clattered

Drive It !
~ Get used to the Sprt zShift Wow At the Press of a button Tellen you it is Fast , No Bull ! Try It !
Old 07-18-2013, 05:05 AM   #1946
Turks
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113965
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 0 Turks Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi Dgc333,

I am glad your Focus is driving smooth! There is no extensive break-in to mention, besides what is listed in the owner's manual. It advises to try not to drive continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles of new vehicle operation, and to vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

~Natasha

This propaganda about breaking it in and adapting to driving habits is bogus and both you and Ford know it.

Although it's a new type, the trans is poorly designed. There are massive isssues and Ford refuses to address them. They try to stall (no pun intended) until the warranty expires and then suddenly the trans needs to be replaced. There are countless stories like that on other forums.

Please explain this. My Focus has over 17,000 miles on it and it has well adapted to my driving habits. The same problem which is dangerous is ocurring to me also. Cars are not built to sputter on purpose. That is a complete and rather condescending reply to give a customer.

You keep saying the problem is the same but the causes may be different. BUNK!!! The problem is the problem and Ford knows that if they admit to the problem the cost of "in warranty" repairs will cost Ford a small fortune.

How do you explain it having the same issues with 17,000 miles as some do with 300? And I maintain my car and and treat it as if it were a family member. Always have and always will. You keep repeating break-in. It's more like Ford side-steping the issue until a person breaks down on the side of the road and then Ford keeps it's fingers crossed that the car is out of warranty and the customer gets stuck with the bill.

You're not being upfront and honest. Why? There are few responses here where people come back and post that Ford fixed the issue.

There are instances were Ford did indeed install a new trans (very few instances ) and the problem started over again and Ford took the position that either the warranty is up or you're not getting a new trans again. That is fact, people.

What you try to do is tell them to contact you or Ford. That's just to get them off this site because the issue isn't going away and the complaints are mounting.

What good is good mileage when the car is unsafe and not enjoyable to drive and... is always in the repair shop?

Wake up folks and remember "Natasha" who is likley some male tech at Ford is part of the Ford propaganda and P.R. machine. His or her job is to present an image that Ford actually cares. They have one of the worst customer service records of any automaker.

And save the sorry to hear the problem nonsense. I have bought Fords all my life. This is NOT normal folks. They give you an ulcer first and if you are very, very lucky you might get a problem of this magnitude fixed for free.

How many of you actually had the problem truly fixed? If you're complaining at 300 or 3000 miles rest assured the problem will get worse. That's why many have had MULTIPLE visits to their dealershops. And it is why Ford tells their dealers not to fix the vehicle. Go back a few pages and read what one customer was told and the print-out he was given. It's a stalling game in the hopes of warranty expiration.

Is there anyone who was out of warranty and Ford fixed the problem free of charge anyway? Perhaps a token few so Ford can use that as propaganda to say that they stand behind their products. All they do is stand behind the cashiers's desk and collect money on problems that started under warranty and now the vehicle is out of warranty. It's a nuisnace to Ford and hence we have "Natasha". Anyone ever talk live to a "Natasha". Doubtful but I'm sure Ford will insist she exists. She very well may exist but as you can see her function is to appease.

So "Natasha" try explaining why at 17,000 miles I still have the problem with 3 trips to the dealer( one at a different dealer to see what they would say) and the so called "trans software" run twice? We both know the answer. The design is poor and Ford will not address the problem until there is a class action suit demanding a recall and free repairs. Way too costly for Ford to do voluntarily.

Wake up Focus owners. This isn't the gem of a car that Ford wants you to think it is. And don't get me started on their crappy radio that costs a fortine and after 4 runs of sftware still doesn't work properly.

People you want the truth? Contact or get a copy of Consumer Reports of this vehicle. It's rated at the bottom of the heap due to guess what? Radio issues and transmision issues!!!

P.S. People watch the excuse "Natasha" makes and how she will tell me to contact her or Ford. BREAKING NEWS: Just how many times do I have to bring a brand new car back to a dealer? Folks if you have a lemon law in your state...make use of it. The problems won't get better as the car ages.

Here is something to also ponder. She says the car has to adjust to YOUR driving habits. Ask her what her excuse is or what you're supposed to do if MULTIPLE people in a household drive the vehicle. People drive differently.

Utter nonsense about a trans having to adjust. Did you ever hear any other manufacturer create such a nonsensical excuse? A car is not a pair of sneakers. In fact read your manual and Ford tells you that there is no formal break-in for the vehicle. They say just take it easy for a a few hundred miles.

They NEVER say in the manual, "make sure you let the trans adjust to you since it's a piece of crap".

Last edited by Turks; 07-18-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:17 AM   #1947
Turks
Focus Rookie

This propaganda about breaking it in and adapting to driving habits is bogus and both you and Ford know it.

Although it's a new type, the trans is poorly designed. There are massive isssues and Ford refuses to address them. They try to stall (no pun intended) until the warranty expires and then suddenly the trans needs to be replaced. There are countless stories like that on other forums.

Please explain this. My Focus has over 17,000 miles on it and it has well adapted to my driving habits. The same problem which is dangerous is ocurring to me also. Cars are not built to sputter on purpose. That is a complete and rather condescending reply to give a customer.

You keep saying the problem is the same but the causes may be different. BUNK!!! The problem is the problem and Ford knows that if they admit to the problem the cost of "in warranty" repairs will cost Ford a small fortune.

How do you explain it having the same issues with 17,000 miles as some do with 300? And I maintain my car and and treat it as if it were a family member. Always have and always will. You keep repeating break-in. It's more like Ford side-steping the issue until a person breaks down on the side of the road and then Ford keeps it's fingers crossed that the car is out of warranty and the customer gets stuck with the bill.

You're not being upfront and honest. Why? There are few responses here where people come back and post that Ford fixed the issue.

There are instances were Ford did indeed install a new trans (very few instances ) and the problem started over again and Ford took the position that either the warranty is up or you're not getting a new trans again. That is fact, people.

What you try to do is tell them to contact you or Ford. That's just to get them off this site because the issue isn't going away and the complaints are mounting.

What good is good mileage when the car is unsafe and not enjoyable to drive and... is always in the repair shop?

Wake up folks and remember "Natasha" who is likley some male tech at Ford is part of the Ford propaganda and P.R. machine. His or her job is to present an image that Ford actually cares. They have one of the worst customer service records of any automaker.

And save the sorry to hear the problem nonsense. I have bought Fords all my life. This is NOT normal folks. They give you an ulcer first and if you are very, very lucky you might get a problem of this magnitude fixed for free.

How many of you actually had the problem truly fixed? If you're complaining at 300 or 3000 miles rest assured the problem will get worse. That's why many have had MULTIPLE visits to their dealershops. And it is why Ford tells their dealers not to fix the vehicle. Go back a few pages and read what one customer was told and the print-out he was given. It's a stalling game in the hopes of warranty expiration.

Is there anyone who was out of warranty and Ford fixed the problem free of charge anyway? Perhaps a token few so Ford can use that as propaganda to say that they stand behind their products. All they do is stand behind the cashiers's desk and collect money on problems that started under warranty and now the vehicle is out of warranty. It's a nuisnace to Ford and hence we have "Natasha". Anyone ever talk live to a "Natasha". Doubtful but I'm sure Ford will insist she exists. She very well may exist but as you can see her function is to appease.

So "Natasha" try explaining why at 17,000 miles I still have the problem with 3 trips to the dealer( one at a different dealer to see what they would say) and the so called "trans software" run twice? We both know the answer. The design is poor and Ford will not address the problem until there is a class action suit demanding a recall and free repairs. Way too costly for Ford to do voluntarily.

Wake up Focus owners. This isn't the gem of a car that Ford wants you to think it is. And don't get me started on their crappy radio that costs a fortine and after 4 runs of sftware still doesn't work properly.

People you want the truth? Contact or get a copy of Consumer Reports of this vehicle. It's rated at the bottom of the heap due to guess what? Radio issues and transmision issues!!!

P.S. People watch the excuse "Natasha" makes and how she will tell me to contact her or Ford. BREAKING NEWS: Just how many times do I have to bring a brand new car back to a dealer? Folks if you have a lemon law in your state...make use of it. The problems won't get better as the car ages.

Here is something to also ponder. She says the car has to adjust to YOUR driving habits. Ask her what her excuse is or what you're supposed to do if MULTIPLE people in a household drive the vehicle. People drive differently.

Utter nonsense about a trans having to adjust. Did you ever hear any other manufacturer create such a nonsensical excuse? A car is not a pair of sneakers. In fact read your manual and Ford tells you that there is no formal break-in for the vehicle. They say just take it easy for a a few hundred miles.

They NEVER say in the manual, "make sure you let the trans adjust to you since it's a piece of crap".

Last edited by Turks; 07-18-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #1948
Turks
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moms focus View Post
our car has 8000 miles on it and when you start out it shutters. dealer said it would smooth out but it still shutters!
Don't beleive him or "Natasha. I have 17,000 miles and a neighbor has the same exact vehicle and she has the same issue:

Hello "Natasha",

I know you're trying to be helpful but the bottom line is that you are running interference here trying to make it sound like all is well and normal.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #1949
Turks
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvandy4898 View Post
Well purchased my brand new 2012 Ford Focus on May 21, 2011. My vehicle had to be ordered and was delivered to me on May 24th. Upon driving it, I found that when I would come to a stop and push the gas to go, it would sputter and hesitate. I have been dealing with it for over 2 weeks and decided to contact my dealership.

I took the vehicle to the shop on June 3rd. The tech drove with me and felt exactly what I was talking about. He stated that he had to put it on the computer. Within 30 minutes, he came out with a piece of paper stating 2012 Focus automatic transmission shudder. Some 2012 focus vehicles equipped with the powershift/DPS6 transmission may experience a shudder/shake on start up or when slowing to a stop. This condition does not cause durability or reliably concerns and will deminish as the clutch breaks in. "IF CUSTOMERS COMPLAIN OF THIS ISSUE, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THE VEHICLE AND SHARE THIS SERVICE MESSAGE WITH THE CUSTOMER.

My question was, how long does this go on and when will it stop? No on could answer. Has anyone else felt this issue? I could not find any post on this prior to me putting this up. I stated I do not feel safe in the vehicle. The car at times when I pull out on the road feels just like it will stall out. After sending an email to the VP of the dealership, I was contacted by the service manager. He stated that he is working on getting an answer from Ford.. At the time of service there were 781 miles on my car. Today there are 1291 and still nothing has changed. I am awaiting a reply and will move forward if I don't like the answer.

Also, yesterday while driving, my shoe lace got caught on brake peddle. Has anyone else ever gotten stuck on the brake peddle? Just curious. It freaked me out.

Last edited by Turks; 07-18-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:06 AM   #1950
goseejoe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90776
What I Drive: 2012 silver sel

FF Reputation: 1 goseejoe Good Standing Member
Agree 100% with Turks. We have NO confidence in this car to hold up for the long haul.
Ford needs to up the transmission warranty to 200,000 miles. Better yet just let anyone with problems get back their money.

Bookmarks & Social Networks