Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 181 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #1801
Cult Hero
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103788
What I Drive: Chevrolet Corsa

FF Reputation: 1 Cult Hero Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, after a few months coming here to read threads like this one, I finally bought a brand new car, a japanese one. I thank to all people here that shared their problems with the focus, you helped me to skip the bullet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #1802
wmcguinness
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109918
What I Drive: 2012, White, Ford Focus SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 wmcguinness Good Standing Member
Focus Problems With Tranny.

Purchased my 2012 Focus hatchback SEL in September of 2012. After having the vehicle less than a week the car began to almost jump into gear after starting the engine. I took it into the dealership and they informed me that this was a temporary issue while the clutch breaks in (of course after the return window). I now have a little over 7K miles on it, and nothing has improved. It has also began to hesitate to the point where the car is shaking and feels like it’s stalling. Today it was the worst, I was 200 miles from home and thought i was going to need a tow with how bad the shake was. I am planing on taking it into the dealership one day this coming week for the second time. If I bought a standard vehicle I could understand the behavior of the vehicle, but ford is calling this an automatic. Why won't Ford put a recall in place and fix the problem?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #1803
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
I bought mine in December of 2011, after 33k miles I've not had any mechanical issues. I'm VERY glad I bought this car.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #1804
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
This is a long post but worth your time to read - if you search these forums you will find hundreds of posts with variations of it. Be aware that "normal" is a mild shudder on low speed shifting because this is an automatic MANUAL, but that’s ALL. Shudders, noises and bog downs that attract your passenger’s attention are NOT normal. I owned a VW GTI and it did NOT do this. Go to any major auto show and you can now find this transmission being used worldwide in cars ranging from the mundane to the wildly exotic. If you go read the posts at the ford focus face book page, you will see people over there as well who are extremely unhappy with the dealer telling them "this is normal".
This problem takes various forms, roughly summarized below taken from customers who got repairs and explanations from the dealer:
There are various TSB’s (Technical Service Bulletins)that the dealers have, dealing with dct transmission problems. You can find them on these forums.
Mild shudder at low speed shifts, normal on all dual clutch transmissions in all makes, mild enough that your passengers do NOT notice. NORMAL
Grinding/rattling noise from under hood when shifting at higher speeds-NOT NORMAL, possible cause-leaking oil seal contaminating-throw out bearing and/or missing sleeve for the bearing. Also known to be involved-clutch and actuators. Also known to be involved-seals, bad seals allow oil contamination of clutch and throw out bearing.
Rough shifting, speed sensors caked with leaking oil and metal
If there is a slick fluid leaking between the engine and bell housing, you've got a problem!
In a technical service bulletin dated Sept. 13, the automaker informed dealers that some 2012 Focuses “may exhibit various automatic transmission and engine driveability concerns.”
There is a TSB (11-12-13) published on December 23, 2011 that states some cars might have transmission fluid leaking where the bell housing meets the engine. If you have this, get it fixed.
Bogging down, almost stalling at higher speeds in traffic, this is dangerous and no discussion of normal is possible.
In addition, you will find posts here by people where Ford has pulled out the transmission, replaced seals, throw out bearings and clutches and the problem is GONE.
I live in New England and when the cold weather came in, the problems were GONE.
Anything beyond a mild shudder at low speed shifting is not normal and this can be crosschecked with other brand owners of this same type transmission.
If it were normal, how can repairs and/or cold weather make it go away?
It is up to all focus owners experiencing these problems to be pro-active and get their issues escalated. If you need to print everything you can find here and bring it to the dealer. He may not even know the scope of the problem.
When this transmission is running properly, this is THE sportiest car for the money that I am aware of. Ford did not get to be a world player in the auto market by ignoring you. Make yourself heard,
Old 02-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #1805
hound
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99777
What I Drive: 2012 black titanium

FF Reputation: 1 hound Good Standing Member
They say normal to get through the warranty.then charge threw the nose to fix it.....and also lose millions of customers.
Like with the 6.0 diesel.they even offer replacement engines in the service department.
Will I buy another ford of course.
But not without doing my homework
Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #1806
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvandy4898 View Post
Well purchased my brand new 2012 Ford Focus on May 21, 2011. My vehicle had to be ordered and was delivered to me on May 24th. Upon driving it, I found that when I would come to a stop and push the gas to go, it would sputter and hesitate. I have been dealing with it for over 2 weeks and decided to contact my dealership.

I took the vehicle to the shop on June 3rd. The tech drove with me and felt exactly what I was talking about. He stated that he had to put it on the computer. Within 30 minutes, he came out with a piece of paper stating 2012 Focus automatic transmission shudder. Some 2012 focus vehicles equipped with the powershift/DPS6 transmission may experience a shudder/shake on start up or when slowing to a stop. This condition does not cause durability or reliably concerns and will deminish as the clutch breaks in. "IF CUSTOMERS COMPLAIN OF THIS ISSUE, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THE VEHICLE AND SHARE THIS SERVICE MESSAGE WITH THE CUSTOMER.

My question was, how long does this go on and when will it stop? No on could answer. Has anyone else felt this issue? I could not find any post on this prior to me putting this up. I stated I do not feel safe in the vehicle. The car at times when I pull out on the road feels just like it will stall out. After sending an email to the VP of the dealership, I was contacted by the service manager. He stated that he is working on getting an answer from Ford.. At the time of service there were 781 miles on my car. Today there are 1291 and still nothing has changed. I am awaiting a reply and will move forward if I don't like the answer.

Also, yesterday while driving, my shoe lace got caught on brake peddle. Has anyone else ever gotten stuck on the brake peddle? Just curious. It freaked me out.
my problems with stuttering/hesitation/stumble at low speed shifst did not go away until 13,000 miles and/or the cold weather in new england.

fwiw
Old 02-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #1807
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
In addition, you will find posts here by people where Ford has pulled out the transmission, replaced seals, throw out bearings and clutches and the problem is GONE.
Can you give us one example?
Old 02-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #1808
kjl2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97883
What I Drive: 2012 se black

FF Reputation: 1 kjl2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
my problems with stuttering/hesitation/stumble at low speed shifst did not go away until 13,000 miles and/or the cold weather in new england.

fwiw
Mine to want away at 13,000 all good now.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #1809
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Can you give us one example?
12/6/12- UPDATE - Good News!! After 5 or 6 weeks, I finally have my Focus SE Hatchback back from the dealer. I was having severe shuddering upon take off from a stop, and serious problems with the car slipping in and out of gear indiscriminately. The service manager worked with FORD and demanded (at my insistence) that they replace the dual clutches. I just picked it up yesterday so I haven't had a chance to really put it through the paces, but so far - smooth as silk!!!So, those of you who insist those of us with issues with our cars just don't know how to drive, there really was something wrong, and now it is fixed. To those of you with these issues - push for Ford to fix it for you!!. Absolutely. I just came back from cruising around at lunch time and the car is just the best now! So tight, sporty and SMOOTH! No noises, no shudders, smooth shifting... I love it.And yes, just to clarify, they did replace the seals and throwout bearing as well as the clutch assembly, etc. Tomorrow I will bring the work order and scan it into this message so you can use it to advocate for yourselves. That's what I did, and now I have a great car!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #1810
HornedFrog05
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97892
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 6 HornedFrog05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I just got mine back from the shop, this was the 4th time the TCM and transmission have been re-calibrated but the shudder is still there and now it shifts harshly as well.

I have the opposite experience of most, it shifted beautifully until about 6,000 miles then I took it in for an oil change and they applied a TSB for the transmission and ever since it's been a nightmare to drive. I can drive a stick better than this little turd.

I have 17,400 miles and still no sign of hope. Ford's website is filling potential consumers with lies about their smooth shifting little tranny. Ugh.

Bookmarks & Social Networks