Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 18 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #171
serathe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89418
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Nissan Versa SL 1.8 CVT

FF Reputation: 1 serathe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hi, tested a brand new one from the dealer, it only got worse, the stuttering was so bad it would jerk you around. Engine seemed very hot as well. Not buying this years model, maybe if ford gets their act together next years? Totally put me off the car. I'm glad we didn't buy it. EDIT: The service dept would only show me the bulletin. I'm not buying a car we have to fight with when we know it's not right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #172
Grinder
Banned

Fan#: 85627
What I Drive: 2003 CD silver SVT

FF Reputation: 10 Grinder Great Standing Member
I won't deny that Ford needs to make sure their vehicles operate in a manner that satisfies them... but from my experience I believe a significant amount of these chatter and shift quality complaints are due to customer expectations going beyond what is reasonable for this gearbox.

In other words, too many people are infamiliar with how a manual transmissionn works and what kind of characteristics one can expect when driving one. New clutch disks chatter on takeoff. It's a well known fact that if you put a new clutch in - it will chatter and smell funny for a short break-in period of a few thousand miles.

This is NOT a conventional automatic and no matter how well Ford "tunes" it to behave like one - it will never be COMPLETELY IDENTICAL to what 99.9% of people are used to with an "automatic" transmission. It is an automatically controlled manual transmission and when it all boils down - it will tend to behave more like a manual than an automatic.

There may be part issues, maybe there are control issues that can be tweaked a bit... but I'd be more inclined to believe the chatter on takeoff will go away after the clutch is able to break in and I'd also be inclined to believe that this thing will behave in a more desireable manner if people consciously attempt to understand that it can't behave like their hydraulic auto trans with planetary gears and a torque converter because it couldn't be more dissimilar than that type of trans.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #173
jtphillips
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89429
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE hatch - Frosted glass

FF Reputation: 1 jtphillips Good Standing Member
I did not believe it would happen!

I got my 2012 SE hatchback and loved everything about it, except the transmission. It slipped and shuddered and did strange things from the start. I took it back to the dealer because I suspected real problems.

They told me that Ford said not to touch it until it had time for "break-in". I said "Oh Sure!". I will wait but I will be back in a few thousand miles and we will really have a "discussion".

It really did not get any better (and I got more frustrated) until it hit about 1500 miles. It started smoothing out and now at 2200 miles, it seems to be doing great.

I stand corrected!!!!!

Unfortunately it made my first month or so with my new car less than enjoyable. I wish Ford would have dealers educate drivers about this type of system and it's inherent initial "quirks". It might make it easier on the new driver.

Other that the early transmission issue, it is a dream car. I am amazed at the features, ride, handling, and economy so far. And now the shifting is smooth and responsive. It is really a world class car. I traded in my 2008 Focus which was a good dependable car but nowhere as refined as this model.

Good job, Ford!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #174
fletch7719
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88491
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 fletch7719 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphillips View Post
I got my 2012 SE hatchback and loved everything about it, except the transmission. It slipped and shuddered and did strange things from the start. I took it back to the dealer because I suspected real problems.

They told me that Ford said not to touch it until it had time for "break-in". I said "Oh Sure!". I will wait but I will be back in a few thousand miles and we will really have a "discussion".

It really did not get any better (and I got more frustrated) until it hit about 1500 miles. It started smoothing out and now at 2200 miles, it seems to be doing great.

I stand corrected!!!!!

Unfortunately it made my first month or so with my new car less than enjoyable. I wish Ford would have dealers educate drivers about this type of system and it's inherent initial "quirks". It might make it easier on the new driver.

Other that the early transmission issue, it is a dream car. I am amazed at the features, ride, handling, and economy so far. And now the shifting is smooth and responsive. It is really a world class car. I traded in my 2008 Focus which was a good dependable car but nowhere as refined as this model.

Good job, Ford!
I must agree with you. I was worried to death about the transmission issue but now with 3500 miles, it seems to have broken in properly. I'm still a little nervous about the "bad batch" of transmissions in an earlier quote but overall, I'm am extremely happy with my purchase!!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #175
Grinder
Banned

Super glad to hear the chatter has worked it's way out!! Again, this type of thing isn't all that uncommon.....it's just a shame the salespeople didn't inform you of this and frankly I don't think it's all that unreasonable to suggest the clutches are somehow broken in before the car is sold....I don't know how this would be done, but it's a thought nontheless.

When it comes to salespeople you really have to expect them to be completely ignorant. I don't mean to bash salespeople but the fact is they are NOT technical in nature so you can't expect them to understand that a new clutch does weird things before it mates to the flywheel properly. Furthermore, no salesmen in his right mind is going to intentionally mention a bunch of not-so-good things about a car he's trying to sell. It's like the server at the restaurant answering your question of "what's good here?" with "nothing - it all tastes like dirt".
Old 09-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #176
thwar
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89248
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 thwar Good Standing Member
Update on my issue:

Once I got my car back from Ford after they reprogrammed the TCM, the issue happened 4 more times. I took it back in this morning and they have to order a new TCM to have it replaced. Hopefully this does the trick, the car only has 2000kms on it.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #177
serathe
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
I won't deny that Ford needs to make sure their vehicles operate in a manner that satisfies them... but from my experience I believe a significant amount of these chatter and shift quality complaints are due to customer expectations going beyond what is reasonable for this gearbox.

In other words, too many people are infamiliar with how a manual transmissionn works and what kind of characteristics one can expect when driving one. New clutch disks chatter on takeoff. It's a well known fact that if you put a new clutch in - it will chatter and smell funny for a short break-in period of a few thousand miles.

This is NOT a conventional automatic and no matter how well Ford "tunes" it to behave like one - it will never be COMPLETELY IDENTICAL to what 99.9% of people are used to with an "automatic" transmission. It is an automatically controlled manual transmission and when it all boils down - it will tend to behave more like a manual than an automatic.

There may be part issues, maybe there are control issues that can be tweaked a bit... but I'd be more inclined to believe the chatter on takeoff will go away after the clutch is able to break in and I'd also be inclined to believe that this thing will behave in a more desireable manner if people consciously attempt to understand that it can't behave like their hydraulic auto trans with planetary gears and a torque converter because it couldn't be more dissimilar than that type of trans.
I realized the tranny is different - I did expect some slightly odd behaviour, however what I experienced felt way beyond that. I'm not interested in a car that I would have to fight with the service tech when transmission issues come up. He wouldn't even check it out, just point me to the print out. Which all is a shame, it's a really nice car otherwise.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #178
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwar View Post
The issue was with the TCM (Transmission Control Module).
Hi thwar,

I'm delighted to read of your love for the Focus, and that your dealer was able to identify the TCM as needing replacement. If you have any concerns or questions, you are welcome to contact Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre at 1.800.565.3673.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeGoesFast View Post
Really my experience was highly enjoyable, and I look forward to testing a few more focuses, but what I'm here to say is that I had told the salesman that I heard people where having issues with the powershift transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by serathe View Post
Hi, tested a brand new one from the dealer, it only got worse, the stuttering was so bad it would jerk you around.
Hello DaeGoesFast and serathe,

Welcome to the forum! Customers with PowerShift get outstanding performance and fuel efficiency thanks to a “dry dual-clutch gearbox.” It uses electronics to change gears automatically instead of hydraulic pressure. We are working on doing a better job at explaining how this new transmission technology behaves when customers take delivery of their new vehicles, and I hope this is what you have experienced. As you are seeing on this forum, there are plenty of satisfied Focus owners, and I hope you'll join them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphillips View Post

Good job, Ford!
Hey jtphillips,

Excellent! Thank you for posting of your experience with the Focus and how it has smoothed out. There have been some wonderful improvements in the past few years, as you've noticed!

Have a great day, everyone!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #179
serathe
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi thwar,
Hello DaeGoesFast and serathe,

Welcome to the forum! Customers with PowerShift get outstanding performance and fuel efficiency thanks to a “dry dual-clutch gearbox.” It uses electronics to change gears automatically instead of hydraulic pressure. We are working on doing a better job at explaining how this new transmission technology behaves when customers take delivery of their new vehicles, and I hope this is what you have experienced. As you are seeing on this forum, there are plenty of satisfied Focus owners, and I hope you'll join them!
Hello, thanks for the reply. I don't believe you understood my post. What I experienced was more severe, it was enough to move my upper body around. if the brake was on I'm sure the seat restraints would have triggered. The service tech would only show me the notice about it being a break in thing. I believe this is more severe than that. If ford is going to tell me that's normal - I'm sorry I have no interest in the car. I don't want to buy a car if I have to fight with the service techs about the transmission. From whats described what I experienced goes beyond that and the techs won't even look at it.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #180
Grinder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by serathe View Post
Hello, thanks for the reply. I don't believe you understood my post. What I experienced was more severe, it was enough to move my upper body around. if the brake was on I'm sure the seat restraints would have triggered. The service tech would only show me the notice about it being a break in thing. I believe this is more severe than that. If ford is going to tell me that's normal - I'm sorry I have no interest in the car. I don't want to buy a car if I have to fight with the service techs about the transmission. From whats described what I experienced goes beyond that and the techs won't even look at it.
There very well may be an issue with your transmission and the dealer's technician should extend enough interest to test drive it and see for himself. But, part of the tech's job is to see if there are any known issues similar to your complaint before he just starts rip/tearing into the thing to look for a problem. Have you tried to call (or visit) the dealer and mention that your issues are more severe than those listed in the bulletin?

Furthermore, if the dealer really just doesn't handle your concerns appropriately - it isn't Ford that isn't interested in helping you. It's the dealer.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->