Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 162 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #1611
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I noticed something interesting this morning. Starting my Focus on a steep incline (30 degrees or more) the shifting between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd was delayed, the car revving between shifts. Once on a level road the shifting returned to what I consider normal.
Any explanation for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #1612
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellman123 View Post
I picked up my 2012 SEL in the beginning of June, and from day 1 felt exactly what you are talking about. It actual feels like the transmission is slipping - hence the shutter feel. I do see the FordcustomerService response, and I love this car and have had 3 Mustangs - I love Fords. I'm just having a tough time buying this response. Ford, you guys get this, you build transmission better then anyone on the plant, period - this is a little scary when you go to pass on the highway, pull out quick at a light etc, it really plays with your confidence in driving. I have 1600 miles, about 1200 are all stop and go highway traffic. I really love this car, the fit and finish, MySync, the look, but I'm really bummed on hearing this response. Can you guys confirm at this point, Ford is not addressing the issue, but stating to let things "wear" in. That is just puzzling no? Has anyone on this thread with an SEL or the 6spd transmission seen things get better?
LOL what?? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but I really hope you are. Ford has made transmissions in the past and they've been horrible...but the transmission in this car isn't even made by Ford...it's made by GetRag, a German manufacturer that *does*, in fact, make the best transmissions on the planet. The problem is that Ford handled the programming of the computers in the car...which is where this issue is coming from.

It's not a byproduct of a dual-clutch transmission...it's a byproduct of *THIS* dual-clutch transmission. Most-likely it is software.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:32 AM   #1613
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
LOL what?? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but I really hope you are. Ford has made transmissions in the past and they've been horrible...but the transmission in this car isn't even made by Ford...it's made by GetRag, a German manufacturer that *does*, in fact, make the best transmissions on the planet. The problem is that Ford handled the programming of the computers in the car...which is where this issue is coming from.

It's not a byproduct of a dual-clutch transmission...it's a byproduct of *THIS* dual-clutch transmission. Most-likely it is software.
If it is, as you say, software, why is it that my transmission performs flawlessly while others have all sorts of problems?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #1614
mjb457
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96645
What I Drive: 12 Focus SE , 03 PT Cruiser GT

FF Reputation: 0 mjb457 Newbie
Trans...

Im new to this car and Ford.... I last week had mine redone--- two new seals & clutch pack & reprgrammed under warranties-----(-to gain trust!!)- its great (so far) its normal does what it was designed to do..... I found a competant tech after going to two dealers---- its new technology that all cant fix or understand---Ford needs to step up and extend the warrants till all are educated in my opinion! The Dart has a tag on the shifter stating its different on their dual clutch Darts---(smart move) Im a Mopar guy at heart but truely think the Focus is a great little car if the right tech gets it,,, MJB
Old 10-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #1615
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103384
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Linchpin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
And I understand the rest too...I work at a large software company. I actually work in the Quality Assurance department of the company, so I deal with finding, replicating, and fixing bugs in software every single day. These kinds of issues are supposed to be caught and fixed before they ever see the light of day...it's obvious by the way they handle the MyFord Touch updates and transmission updates that they do *NOT* perform adequate quality control.
I agree completely. I work in product innovation and development. I see all kinds of indications in Ford's program that suggest to me that there is a significant technology gap between different segments of the organization. Whereas auto makers like Audi and Mercedes have evolved their technologies across the organization it is obvious to me that Ford is trying to play catch-up and there is a technology gap between the quality control and especially the service divisions and their new technology division.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #1616
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
I agree completely. I work in product innovation and development. I see all kinds of indications in Ford's program that suggest to me that there is a significant technology gap between different segments of the organization. Whereas auto makers like Audi and Mercedes have evolved their technologies across the organization it is obvious to me that Ford is trying to play catch-up and there is a technology gap between the quality control and especially the service divisions and their new technology division.
I must reiterate. How is it software, as several of you say, if my transmission performs flawlessly without all the quirks stated in this forum?
Old 10-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #1617
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatto View Post
I must reiterate. How is it software, as several of you say, if my transmission performs flawlessly without all the quirks stated in this forum?
It is software because the mechanical component is controlled by a microprocessor run by fuzzy logic software. The software adjusts to driver input. If the initial hesitation of the DCT makes the driver cautious the DCT will respond accordingly. If you drive aggressively the DCT will adjust accordingly. DCT issues are mainly driver caused. That most Ford mechanics need retraining is another factor. Ball peen hammers can't fix DCT issues.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #1618
mjb457
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96645
What I Drive: 12 Focus SE , 03 PT Cruiser GT

FF Reputation: 0 mjb457 Newbie
Trans:: FORD REP

I again feel there should be a MASS APPEAL to FORD(hey rep are you listening???) extend all the warranties unconditional for 10years 100k mile.... I bet it gets their attention?? If its good back it up with a guarantee!!MJB
Old 10-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #1619
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
I again feel there should be a MASS APPEAL to FORD(hey rep are you listening???) extend all the warranties unconditional for 10years 100k mile.... I bet it gets their attention?? If its good back it up with a guarantee!!MJB
I agree that Ford needs to do something. The organization is going through a fundamental change wherein purchasing a new car can no longer be like a one night stand. Ford needs to build long term relationships with their customers and ensure that all segments of their operation are aligned and knowledgeable of the technology. At the present those are technically oriented can work around Ford's miscues. But many of Ford's customers are subsidizing Ford's internal issues. Customers should not have to do Ford or their dealers jobs for them.

Last edited by Linchpin; 10-15-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #1620
DayGlow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102589
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 DayGlow Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
Getrag built the transmission and looking at Wikipedia they have built DCT's for BMW, AMG, Mitsubishi, even Ferrari, so it's not like they are giving it their first go.

Bookmarks & Social Networks