Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 161 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #1601
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatto View Post
I wasn't going to post any further comments, but, the ongoing debate concerning the Focus DCT has me totally confused. I drive a 2012 Focus HB and now have slightly over 5000 miles logged. I have experienced none of the problems described here. There is no grinding, shuttering, frontend noises, or problems coasting. I do not drive any differently than my previous car. There was no learning process. The transmission performs flawlessly. Shifting is smooth and hardly noticeable. Frankly I love it much more than my last car which was an Acura RSX. Paid the same for both, but, the Focus is, in my opinion, a far superior vehicle.
I have to actually side, in part, with those that are having issues with driveability. I had a 2012 SEL for 1100 miles before tradibg it in on my Ti, and while it didn't have problems it most definitely shifted like ass. This was pre-12B37, and I was very light on the throttle. So, in part, I can understand some people's frustration.

My Ti was leaps and bounds better off the lot, and was even better post 12B37. I also drove it more firmly, and I believe that that helped contribute to how it drives today. I honestly felt like the first 2-3k miles that I had to drive the transmission and not the car, but the car eventually learned and now behaves near flawlessly.

A Fanatic I may be, but other forum members and Focus owners have driven my car and been amazed...

Sent from my stupid phone.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #1602
IH84DZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101801
What I Drive: 03 CD silver SVT 5 door

FF Reputation: 5 IH84DZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
If you are really a technician, I surely wouldn't want you working on my vehicle with that attitude. No reason to attack someone that has a legitimate concern about the operation of their vehicle, especially when we know the new Focus has above average problems. I would imagine you don't speak this way to customers in person, becuase if so if your management is worth a darn they would show you the door.

And how do you know that DFSO isn't what he is describing without seeing or driving his car? How about trying to answer his questions instead of berate him? Yea, really good technician.
Him calling my comments ridiculous isn't an attack but my response using an analogy to describe the crux of an expectation issue IS an attack. Got it!

You are absolutely right. I'm no longer a technician. I no longer repair vehicles as a manufacturer rep when techs can't figure it out. Now I teach young men how things work and the best practices for diagnosing/repairing them. If I were indeed a customer handling representative at a dealer I would most certainly approach such complaints in a different manner. But as you already know, that is not my prerogative so I have NO obligation whatsoever to pretend as if it is! Actually, my prerogative is to provide the type of tough love that FCSD cannot.

Thanks for the pep talk though. I shared my credentials as a show of credibility not to be........wait for it.................ATTACKED by someone like you who has nothing substantial to add but would rather focus effort toward provocation. Who knows more about who Mr Pot. Kettle. Black?

Either he's the only person in the world with DFSO that by no explainable means makes the vehicle decelerate unusually fast OR he isn't familiar with the fact that his "Automatic" is intentionally designed to engine brake like a manual. You figure it out.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #1603
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93807
What I Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport Auto FWD

FF Reputation: 1 ruthrj Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk5dr64 View Post
Dealers across America have told us the same thing, the "noise, grinding ,leap frog, etc is normal". There is supposed to be a new upgrade coming out any time now..............

My Focus does not "coast". Like when I am traveling at 45 mph and start down a hill, I let off the gas to just roll down the hill. But my car seems to be in a lower gear because it slows itself down. If the car rolled freely mpg would be better, like if the hill was a mile long and I did not use the gas.

It was at the dealership for this problem and I got the infamous "can not duplicate problem at this time".

Question is, do your cars coast, free wheel, or simply roll or do they slow themselves?
Simply put, my car would remain in gear. When going down hills, that is actually more fuel-efficient than the car being in neutral.

When the car is in neutral, gas must be added to the engine to keep it running. If you leave it in gear and use gravity to your advantage, the wheels turn the engine. Know what I mean? Not quite that simple, but it was a nice MPG boosting trick I learned when I used to drive a TDI Jetta. Leaving in gear and letting the car bring itself to a stop was much better fuel wise than popping the trans in neutral and using the brakes.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #1604
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hey folks,

As always, I'm thrilled when I hear from folks who aren't having any kind of issues with their rides. For those of you who are, though, I want to help. Get in touch with me via PM and tell me about what's going on. Helpful details include your VIN, dealer, mileage, and daytime phone number.

Thanks everyone!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 10-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #1605
Blk5dr64
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100542
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titainium

FF Reputation: 1 Blk5dr64 Good Standing Member
Thanks

To those of you that have come to my defence. I never thought my "coast" question would raise such a stink. Speaking of stink it would seem that a person as well educated and a leader of young men would have a little more tact. Calling a person "useless". Not reading an entire post. Being arrogant beyond belief.
DZ84 Did someone step on your camshaft?
Old 10-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #1606
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99994
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Cruze,1966 Mustang

FF Reputation: 1 JimsFocus Good Standing Member
Interesting Thread on Shuddering

Check it out...

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298984

I don't see this as a solution, but it may lead to a fix.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #1607
kjl2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97883
What I Drive: 2012 se black

FF Reputation: 1 kjl2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk5dr64 View Post
To those of you that have come to my defence. I never thought my "coast" question would raise such a stink. Speaking of stink it would seem that a person as well educated and a leader of young men would have a little more tact. Calling a person "useless". Not reading an entire post. Being arrogant beyond belief.
DZ84 Did someone step on your camshaft?
i like that quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #1608
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH84DZ View Post
DFSO has been used for years. It isn't anything new and it is not the cause of the engine braking he described.

Perhaps Ford did make a bad choice to offer something that is so mickey mouse without dedicating a multi-million dollar ad campaign focused on why you may not like the vehicle they are trying to sell. Then again, perhaps not.

Apples to Oranges comparison here but have you ever seen a lambo with a DCT creep through traffic or be loaded on a trailer? If you think spending $20,000 on a car that behaves different than anything you've ever driven is hard to swallow imagine spending a quarter million.

I guess people like me just expect too much of our customers. Who am I to suggest they take initiative to investigate a product before they sign a 5 year note? Perhaps drive one for more than 5 miles? Speak with the service department regarding common issues?

I've always been shocked that some folks will walk into a dealer and spend more time working out options, colors and financing than they do what vehicle best suits their needs and expectations. From people who learn how to drive a stick in a brand new car to people who buy 1 ton dualy's for church commuters the expression "buyer beware" couldn't be more ambiguous!!!!
I feel the need to respond to this.

I used to race, professionally, 1000cc supersports. I was sponsored by Kawasaki and I was a pretty damn-skilled rider. Because of that position, I was also given the opportunity to experience many things in the automotive world that I, otherwise, would never have had the opportunity to experience.

You asked if he had driven a Lamborghini with a dual-clutch system. I'm not sure if he has, but I definitely haven't. Why? Because Lamborghini doesn't make a dual-clutch transmission. They were considering it for both the Aventador and the new Gallardo (when it succeeded the Murcielago line in 2010), but both were scratched and replaced with a fast-shifting single-clutch transmission. People have been complaining about that choice for a few years now.

However, I have driven a few other high-priced cars that utilize a dual-clutch transmission. I'll list a few that I can think of. Audi R8 and S4, various new Mercedes AMGs, the BMW M3 and Z4, Nissan GT-R, and the new 911 Carrera PDKs. All of those have dual-clutch transmissions (I've also driven others, but those are just the high-price models I can think of), and none drive like this thing.

I understand that the Focus isn't meant to drive as well as any of those cars,but don't claim that the transmissions in any of them are terrible...they're all incredible to drive. I've driven them in stop-and-go traffic, and I have loaded a few of them onto trailers. There's nothing wrong with them at all, and they don't experience the shuddering that this thing does.

Long story short: Don't talk out of your behind on a forum where, most likely, there are plenty of people that know more about the subject than you do...you're going to get schooled in information. Are there uninformed people that buy this car and get upset? Of course. But there are also a *lot* of people with actual issues with the car that the dealers refuse to fix.

My problem isn't so much with the car as with the level of service that I'm getting. I make enough an hour that the 7 trips I've had to make to the dealership (figure an hour or 2 a piece) far surpass my monthly payments on the car. I should have just bought a BMW and been done with it.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #1609
SportyChick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104205
What I Drive: 2012 FocusTitanium Hatchback - sold

FF Reputation: 1 SportyChick Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
I feel the need to respond to this.

I used to race, professionally, 1000cc supersports. I was sponsored by Kawasaki and I was a pretty damn-skilled rider. Because of that position, I was also given the opportunity to experience many things in the automotive world that I, otherwise, would never have had the opportunity to experience.
Another sport rider and a professional racer at that, which series did you race with? I haven't raced professionally, I've done many track days through the years and have bikes both for the track and the street. My street bike is a 2006 R1, overkill for the street I know but it's an amazing bike. Never owned a Kawi though, Ducati, Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha, but oddly enough, never a Kawi.

Quote:
However, I have driven a few other high-priced cars that utilize a dual-clutch transmission. I'll list a few that I can think of. Audi R8 and S4, various new Mercedes AMGs, the BMW M3 and Z4, Nissan GT-R, and the new 911 Carrera PDKs. All of those have dual-clutch transmissions (I've also driven others, but those are just the high-price models I can think of), and none drive like this thing.
Anyways, I'm having issues with my Focus. Brought it in last week for the TSB 12B37 recall which seemed to fix the car shaking while idling when stopped but has now caused this shuddering when starting from a stop.

I had a friend in my car yesterday who also used to race professionally both bike and open wheel and right away he noticed the car shuddering and was like "wtf is that". I try to explain to him about the DCT issue and he didn't believe me that the Focus had DCT as he has driven many vehicles with DCT and never experienced what he experienced in my Focus yesterday at lunch. He was shocked that the Focus has DCT and would behave the way it did and the sluggish transitioning of gears.

Other then this issue with my Focus, I do enjoy the car and I'm not here to berate the car and say it's crap. I'm just here to say yes I'm having this issue with my car and if I could get it fixed, I would have no other reservations with the car. I know not everything out there is perfect, I work for a company who is a smart phone company that is being hung out to dry almost daily, I'm sure you can all guess what company that is. So I get it, there are going to be bugs with new releases and that's part of the learning curve and I get the frustrations all being felt here, I hear it at work all the time.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #1610
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
SportyChick, actually after I finished racing I bought an R6...and it was the best bike I ever owned! It was the first bike I've taken into a turn and actually hit the limitations of the tires before the limitations of the bike. I actually did some semi-pro AMA and then tri-state series. Kawasaki definitely makes good bikes, but from here on out I can't see myself picking up anything other than a Yamaha or Ducati =P

And that's exactly what I'm saying. Standard DCT transmissions have some amount of shudder, but it should be no more than a fairly-skilled driver in a manual car. I've driven *PLENTY* of dual-clutch cars in my life time and not one had the shuddering that this thing does. The thing is, my complaints don't really revolve around the fact that the transmission has this issue...it's the combination of the transmission *NOT* having this issue until the update was performed and the fact that every dealership refuses to even look into it because they said it's supposed to feel this way.

The funny thing about that is that I highly doubt any of the techs in any of these dealerships has driven a dual-clutch transmission other than the ones that they've used in their own cars...which would have similar programming and timing issues.

And I understand the rest too...I work at a large software company. I actually work in the Quality Assurance department of the company, so I deal with finding, replicating, and fixing bugs in software every single day. These kinds of issues are supposed to be caught and fixed before they ever see the light of day...it's obvious by the way they handle the MyFord Touch updates and transmission updates that they do *NOT* perform adequate quality control.

Bookmarks & Social Networks