Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 160 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #1591
raywal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102946
What I Drive: 2012 tuxedo black SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 0 raywal Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Some people on this forum and on other websites are pointing the finger at the throw out bearing.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #1592
RFrench6646
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101073
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Sonic Blue, Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 RFrench6646 Good Standing Member
Originally Posted by JoeMcCrary
The dealership told me that the noises are normal to the car and transmission. They could find nothing wrong, and have driven others with the same noises. They did confirm that they heard the grinding and popping I mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsFocus View Post
They told me the same thing. I wouldn't call it "normal" unless every Focus had the same grinding. I drove another new Focus at my dealer's request, there was no grinding. Many here on the forum also do not have the grinding.
I agree with Jim, My Focus has had the "shudder" issue, but has gotten much better. I never have heard any grinding or popping. I'm at 10K miles now, and just got my 2nd oil chg. My dealership service rep, and I were talking about these issues. He said that they have had several complaints on the tranny from other customers. and about half are legit. The ones that weren't were mainly programming issues. But the ones that are, have some sort of clutch damage, or seal leak. While he had mine in, I asked him to look over mine, and thankfully nothing looks out of whack. So Joe, you really need to press the issue. If it doesn't sound right, it's probably NOT! Good luck!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #1593
IH84DZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101801
What I Drive: 03 CD silver SVT 5 door

FF Reputation: 5 IH84DZ Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk5dr64 View Post
I have driven many a manual in my 50 years on the road. I was simply asking if the "engine braking" is normal, and did not need a scolding.

So, how does one drive an automatic properly?

I am also aware that if I have a problem and the technition can not duplicate, then I must drive the car with him/her in it to demonstrate the problem.

I work in a very large hospital. I know full well how people can screw up the things they use. Give a Registered Nurse a 40 pound anvil and she, her staff, or patients will figure out a way to break it.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I was not told about how this transmission operates. I have read the Ford bulletins that instruct sales people to inform customers how the trans operates. I was not told, and the test drives (plural) did not reveal these quirks.

That said, I really do like the car. It is a computer on wheels, has all kinds of features and good looks. Sometimes harshness will get the perp under the bus.
Look, I don't know who you are or what you know but based on some of the other posts in here it's obvious that a lot of folks don't know what to expect with this gearbox, including you. I'm sorry if my post seemed like an attack at you but that's simply not the case - I just though it was appropriate to cut through the b.s. and be frank. You and I both know you aren't the only one with these issues or with these questions.

If you can suggest a team of nurses can break an anvil, surely you can understand that some folks can't even drive an automatic properly. Also keep in mind that as a technician, engineer and automotive instructor I'm convinced that by knowing exactly how these mechanisms work I can optimize their performance and longevity by operating them a certain way. You as a professional can certainly comparably relate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtncpa View Post
Blk5dr64 does not need to be scolded.

The biggest problem with MFT and the DCT is the lack of communication between Ford's engineers and the dealerships. I race my Mustang on weekends on many road courses in the North East and I have built my own computer. There is not much anyone can teach me about cars or computers. (but I am always a good listener .. and student when I come across something I don't understand) I love my Focus but it is a bit quirky. A DCT is not an automatic and will not work like one. MFT is a windows product and it has some bugs. Those are two solid facts.

If Ford educated the dealerships the dealerships could educate the end users. I believe Ford gives $150 to a dealership each time a car is sold with MFT. I think the dealers see the $150 as a profit center and are not investing the $150 in training. Thru education is the only way real problems can be separated from lack of knowledge when it comes to MFT and the DCT.

I have posted videos that Ford has put up on how a DCT works. The videos are from 2010. Let me know if you would like to see them posted again.
You are right. There are some issues with the car but there are also a comparable number of folks who don't know what to expect. Ford offers funding for dealers to host "clinics" for new buyers. They offer technical and customer handling training regarding these vehicles. The disconnect is that Ford Motor doesn't own every little Ford franchise out there and if a dirtbag dealer has a dirtbag sales department concerned only with making sales you get a host of unsatisfied customers who don't know where to put the blame and there is little Ford Motor can do because a dealer is a privately owned business. You can lead a horse to water.....

Is it Mr. Dirtbag Ford dealer who didn't train me on my new vehicle? *Do I even want a vehicle I need to be trained on? * Or is it Ford Motor's fault for not making a car that behaves the way I expect?

The situation is complicated but simple: My tofu burger doesn't taste like beef. Is it McDonalds corporate's fault for not making tofu taste like beef? Is it the franchise on the corner's fault for not warning me that it won't taste like beef? Is it even supposed to taste the way it does or do I just not like it?

B-lou - gimme a break. Yes there are other issues and they aren't the topic of my comments. MFT is glitchty, yes. Front end noises - they happen. Tell ya what: Instead of being completely useless and just lamenting about how pissed you are go research other comparably equipped new models and tell us how perfect they are. Internet discussion boards are known for their utter perfection in gauging the overal quality of a product and customer satisfaction!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #1594
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH84DZ View Post
Look, I don't know who you are or what you know but based on some of the other posts in here it's obvious that a lot of folks don't know what to expect with this gearbox, including you. I'm sorry if my post seemed like an attack at you but that's simply not the case - I just though it was appropriate to cut through the b.s. and be frank. You and I both know you aren't the only one with these issues or with these questions.

If you can suggest a team of nurses can break an anvil, surely you can understand that some folks can't even drive an automatic properly. Also keep in mind that as a technician, engineer and automotive instructor I'm convinced that by knowing exactly how these mechanisms work I can optimize their performance and longevity by operating them a certain way. You as a professional can certainly comparably relate!

You are right. There are some issues with the car but there are also a comparable number of folks who don't know what to expect. Ford offers funding for dealers to host "clinics" for new buyers. They offer technical and customer handling training regarding these vehicles. The disconnect is that Ford Motor doesn't own every little Ford franchise out there and if a dirtbag dealer has a dirtbag sales department concerned only with making sales you get a host of unsatisfied customers who don't know where to put the blame and there is little Ford Motor can do because a dealer is a privately owned business. You can lead a horse to water.....

Is it Mr. Dirtbag Ford dealer who didn't train me on my new vehicle? *Do I even want a vehicle I need to be trained on? * Or is it Ford Motor's fault for not making a car that behaves the way I expect?

The situation is complicated but simple: My tofu burger doesn't taste like beef. Is it McDonalds corporate's fault for not making tofu taste like beef? Is it the franchise on the corner's fault for not warning me that it won't taste like beef? Is it even supposed to taste the way it does or do I just not like it?

B-lou - gimme a break. Yes there are other issues and they aren't the topic of my comments. MFT is glitchty, yes. Front end noises - they happen. Tell ya what: Instead of being completely useless and just lamenting about how pissed you are go research other comparably equipped new models and tell us how perfect they are. Internet discussion boards are known for their utter perfection in gauging the overal quality of a product and customer satisfaction!
^^ Well said, sir.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #1595
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

Points 1,532, Level 22
Points: 1,532, Level: 22 Points: 1,532, Level: 22 Points: 1,532, Level: 22
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6769MOPARS View Post
^^ Well said, sir.
X2 ..
Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #1596
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk5dr64 View Post
Dealers across America have told us the same thing, the "noise, grinding ,leap frog, etc is normal". There is supposed to be a new upgrade coming out any time now..............

My Focus does not "coast". Like when I am traveling at 45 mph and start down a hill, I let off the gas to just roll down the hill. But my car seems to be in a lower gear because it slows itself down. If the car rolled freely mpg would be better, like if the hill was a mile long and I did not use the gas.

It was at the dealership for this problem and I got the infamous "can not duplicate problem at this time".

Question is, do your cars coast, free wheel, or simply roll or do they slow themselves?
The reponse you got from some of the others here is rediculous. You should not need to "learn" how to drive a car that was marketed with an automatic transmission. People could care less about the DCT and should not have to worry about the ins and outs of this mess. They are defending a product that was not marketed correctly with above average issues on programming and clutch problems.

To answer your question, the reason the car doesn't coast as much is the DFSO (deceleration fuel shut off) engages when you let off the gas anywhere above the 30 MPH range. It's cutting all fuel to the engine and freewheeling it against the transmission to use zero gas when coasting down. It saves real fuel and I find coasting down to red lights instead of breaking really jumps the average MPG.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #1597
IH84DZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101801
What I Drive: 03 CD silver SVT 5 door

FF Reputation: 5 IH84DZ Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
The reponse you got from some of the others here is rediculous. You should not need to "learn" how to drive a car that was marketed with an automatic transmission. People could care less about the DCT and should not have to worry about the ins and outs of this mess. They are defending a product that was not marketed correctly with above average issues on programming and clutch problems.

To answer your question, the reason the car doesn't coast as much is the DFSO (deceleration fuel shut off) engages when you let off the gas anywhere above the 30 MPH range. It's cutting all fuel to the engine and freewheeling it against the transmission to use zero gas when coasting down. It saves real fuel and I find coasting down to red lights instead of breaking really jumps the average MPG.
DFSO has been used for years. It isn't anything new and it is not the cause of the engine braking he described.

Perhaps Ford did make a bad choice to offer something that is so mickey mouse without dedicating a multi-million dollar ad campaign focused on why you may not like the vehicle they are trying to sell. Then again, perhaps not.

Apples to Oranges comparison here but have you ever seen a lambo with a DCT creep through traffic or be loaded on a trailer? If you think spending $20,000 on a car that behaves different than anything you've ever driven is hard to swallow imagine spending a quarter million.

I guess people like me just expect too much of our customers. Who am I to suggest they take initiative to investigate a product before they sign a 5 year note? Perhaps drive one for more than 5 miles? Speak with the service department regarding common issues?

I've always been shocked that some folks will walk into a dealer and spend more time working out options, colors and financing than they do what vehicle best suits their needs and expectations. From people who learn how to drive a stick in a brand new car to people who buy 1 ton dualy's for church commuters the expression "buyer beware" couldn't be more ambiguous!!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #1598
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

Points 9,084, Level 64
Points: 9,084, Level: 64 Points: 9,084, Level: 64 Points: 9,084, Level: 64
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtncpa View Post
X2 ..
x3
<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 10-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #1599
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH84DZ View Post
DFSO has been used for years. It isn't anything new and it is not the cause of the engine braking he described.

Perhaps Ford did make a bad choice to offer something that is so mickey mouse without dedicating a multi-million dollar ad campaign focused on why you may not like the vehicle they are trying to sell. Then again, perhaps not.

Apples to Oranges comparison here but have you ever seen a lambo with a DCT creep through traffic or be loaded on a trailer? If you think spending $20,000 on a car that behaves different than anything you've ever driven is hard to swallow imagine spending a quarter million.

I guess people like me just expect too much of our customers. Who am I to suggest they take initiative to investigate a product before they sign a 5 year note? Perhaps drive one for more than 5 miles? Speak with the service department regarding common issues?

I've always been shocked that some folks will walk into a dealer and spend more time working out options, colors and financing than they do what vehicle best suits their needs and expectations. From people who learn how to drive a stick in a brand new car to people who buy 1 ton dualy's for church commuters the expression "buyer beware" couldn't be more ambiguous!!!!
If you are really a technician, I surely wouldn't want you working on my vehicle with that attitude. No reason to attack someone that has a legitimate concern about the operation of their vehicle, especially when we know the new Focus has above average problems. I would imagine you don't speak this way to customers in person, becuase if so if your management is worth a darn they would show you the door.

And how do you know that DFSO isn't what he is describing without seeing or driving his car? How about trying to answer his questions instead of berate him? Yea, really good technician.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #1600
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
I wasn't going to post any further comments, but, the ongoing debate concerning the Focus DCT has me totally confused. I drive a 2012 Focus HB and now have slightly over 5000 miles logged. I have experienced none of the problems described here. There is no grinding, shuttering, frontend noises, or problems coasting. I do not drive any differently than my previous car. There was no learning process. The transmission performs flawlessly. Shifting is smooth and hardly noticeable. Frankly I love it much more than my last car which was an Acura RSX. Paid the same for both, but, the Focus is, in my opinion, a far superior vehicle.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.