Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 159 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #1581
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,107, Level 34
Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcCrary View Post
Hi all.

I just joined this forum when I did a google search this morning for issues related to the transmissions on the 2012 Ford Focus. I have about 10k miles on mine, and every now and then I can hear grinding when it shifts up thought 3rd. (I don't use the Sport mode on it.) The software update has already been installed.

I've noticed this car is horrible in stop-and-go traffic -- it's tough to gradually accelerate in that traffic.

It's at the dealership now. I'll advise when I hear back from them.
Hi there,

Welcome to the forums! I'm happy to step in and escalate your case. I'll get your regional Customer Service Manager looped in and they'll reach out to your dealership to ensure your concern is resolved. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and daytime phone number; I'll do the rest!

Thanks,
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #1582
JoeMcCrary
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104632
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 JoeMcCrary Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi there,

Welcome to the forums! I'm happy to step in and escalate your case. I'll get your regional Customer Service Manager looped in and they'll reach out to your dealership to ensure your concern is resolved. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and daytime phone number; I'll do the rest!

Thanks,
Crystal
The dealership told me that the noises are normal to the car and transmission. They could find nothing wrong, and have driven others with the same noises. They did confirm that they heard the grinding and popping I mentioned.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #1583
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99994
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Cruze,1966 Mustang

Points 42, Level 1
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcCrary View Post
The dealership told me that the noises are normal to the car and transmission. They could find nothing wrong, and have driven others with the same noises. They did confirm that they heard the grinding and popping I mentioned.
They told me the same thing. I wouldn't call it "normal" unless every Focus had the same grinding. I drove another new Focus at my dealer's request, there was no grinding. Many here on the forum also do not have the grinding.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:01 AM   #1584
Blk5dr64
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100542
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titainium

FF Reputation: 1 Blk5dr64 Good Standing Member
Noises

Dealers across America have told us the same thing, the "noise, grinding ,leap frog, etc is normal". There is supposed to be a new upgrade coming out any time now..............

My Focus does not "coast". Like when I am traveling at 45 mph and start down a hill, I let off the gas to just roll down the hill. But my car seems to be in a lower gear because it slows itself down. If the car rolled freely mpg would be better, like if the hill was a mile long and I did not use the gas.

It was at the dealership for this problem and I got the infamous "can not duplicate problem at this time".

Question is, do your cars coast, free wheel, or simply roll or do they slow themselves?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #1585
IH84DZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101801
What I Drive: 03 CD silver SVT 5 door

FF Reputation: 5 IH84DZ Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk5dr64 View Post
Dealers across America have told us the same thing, the "noise, grinding ,leap frog, etc is normal". There is supposed to be a new upgrade coming out any time now..............

My Focus does not "coast". Like when I am traveling at 45 mph and start down a hill, I let off the gas to just roll down the hill. But my car seems to be in a lower gear because it slows itself down. If the car rolled freely mpg would be better, like if the hill was a mile long and I did not use the gas.

It was at the dealership for this problem and I got the infamous "can not duplicate problem at this time".

Question is, do your cars coast, free wheel, or simply roll or do they slow themselves?
You are referring to engine braking. Ever driven a manual? Unless you depress the clutch a manual transmission will engine brake in every gear. You have a manual in your focus that is controlled by a computer and little electric motors that engage/disengage the clutch and shift the gear selector. Thus, the DCT focus will engine brake in every gear just like a conventional manual.

I find it very unlikely it has been programmed to disengage the clutch anytime the throttle is closed. This is not a best practice driving technique for a conventional manual and I would expect the same from the DCT.

The fact about NVH in this thing is that Ford is having a hard time differentiating legitimate improper operation related NVH from NVH that results from bad driving habits. The fact is that you sorta have to learn how to drive this car different than you would a conventional automatic. Ford can make it behave very, very similar to a conventional auto but because it is NOT a conventional auto there will always be dissimilarities. In other words, if you drive it like a conventional auto you will likely notice some goofy noise, vibrations and harshness. Furthermore, a dealer that cannot verify your concern WILL NOT make any repair attempts. This is a standard practice for any reputable repair facility. If you are 100% positive that your driving technique is NOT related to undesireable NVH - you need to arrange a test drive with a technician so that you can show him exactly what's going on. \

Keep in mind though, that if YOU are the ONLY person who can experience your concern..... the variable in the situation is YOU. CONSIDER the possibility that the vehicle isn't magically screwing up only when it knows you are behind the wheel but rather it's something YOU are doing to make it act up.

In my 10 years of being a technician I've seen some absurd driving habits like using your left foot to brake, constant throttle pedal modulation, jumping in and out of the throttle during up/downshifts, etc.

The fact is that engineers literally program automatic transmissions to behave the way you expect them to. This doesn't mean it's the proper way it should operate. Many semi-pro drivers and motorsport enthusiasts complain of shift strategy and quality in stock vehicles because THEY realize that it is delayed, softenened and truncated beyond the pale. Why do they do this? Because most idiots on the road don't even know how to drive an automatic properly. I hate to be so harsh and I certainly don't mean to throw EVERYONE under the bus but it's true. It's strangely ironic that there are hundreds of millions of people driving these machines most of their lives and very few actually operate it AS DESIGNED. If you have a hard time believing people could screw up something they use all their life just go to a laundrymat sometime!

Last edited by IH84DZ; 10-09-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #1586
Blk5dr64
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100542
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titainium

FF Reputation: 1 Blk5dr64 Good Standing Member
Noises

I have driven many a manual in my 50 years on the road. I was simply asking if the "engine braking" is normal, and did not need a scolding.

So, how does one drive an automatic properly?

I am also aware that if I have a problem and the technition can not duplicate, then I must drive the car with him/her in it to demonstrate the problem.

I work in a very large hospital. I know full well how people can screw up the things they use. Give a Registered Nurse a 40 pound anvil and she, her staff, or patients will figure out a way to break it.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I was not told about how this transmission operates. I have read the Ford bulletins that instruct sales people to inform customers how the trans operates. I was not told, and the test drives (plural) did not reveal these quirks.

That said, I really do like the car. It is a computer on wheels, has all kinds of features and good looks. Sometimes harshness will get the perp under the bus.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #1587
JoeMcCrary
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104632
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 JoeMcCrary Good Standing Member
I agree with Blk5dr64 -- I never received any instruction on the trans, and that would have been nice.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #1588
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

Points 1,511, Level 22
Points: 1,511, Level: 22 Points: 1,511, Level: 22 Points: 1,511, Level: 22
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
Blk5dr64 does not need to be scolded.

The biggest problem with MFT and the DCT is the lack of communication between Ford's engineers and the dealerships. I race my Mustang on weekends on many road courses in the North East and I have built my own computer. There is not much anyone can teach me about cars or computers. (but I am always a good listener .. and student when I come across something I don't understand) I love my Focus but it is a bit quirky. A DCT is not an automatic and will not work like one. MFT is a windows product and it has some bugs. Those are two solid facts.

If Ford educated the dealerships the dealerships could educate the end users. I believe Ford gives $150 to a dealership each time a car is sold with MFT. I think the dealers see the $150 as a profit center and are not investing the $150 in training. Thru education is the only way real problems can be separated from lack of knowledge when it comes to MFT and the DCT.

I have posted videos that Ford has put up on how a DCT works. The videos are from 2010. Let me know if you would like to see them posted again.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #1589
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,345, Level 93
Points: 23,345, Level: 93 Points: 23,345, Level: 93 Points: 23,345, Level: 93
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-lou View Post
Wow.....I dont think I even need to post anymore.....B-lou
FIFY

Sent from my stupid phone.
2014 FiST-
Old 10-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #1590
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99994
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Cruze,1966 Mustang

Points 42, Level 1
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsFocus Good Standing Member
An Observation

I just read through the other thread on this forum about transmission grinding noise. Between this thread and the other, what I noticed is, when Ford finally gets around to openning up a transmission due to grinding noises, they find some damage. They find damage to clutches, throwout bearings, solenoids and/or seals. No one has posted that their transmission was openned up and no damage was found. Seems to me that would indicate, if you have grinding, you have damage. (For what it's worth).

Bookmarks & Social Networks