Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 158 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #1571
pablo94sc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104464
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue SE Sport 5dr (5spd)

Points 494, Level 9
Points: 494, Level: 9 Points: 494, Level: 9 Points: 494, Level: 9
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 pablo94sc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New here and just got my '12 Focus SE hatchback this past Saturday. Wondering if anyone else thinks the rear view mirror needs a longer stem and/or more rotational adjustment between the mirror and stem.

Issue: I have to position the mirror so that the top 1/4 is blocked by my sunglasses holder and the bottom 1/3 of the rear window is no longer visible to see any appreciable distance behind me. If I position the mirror so the full rear window is visible and the sunglasses holder isn't in the way, I can only see the road and whatever car happens to be within 10ft or so of of my bumper. Had the same issue on a rental SEL HB as well (manual dim).

Anyone have any luck having Ford replace the mirror or stem under warranty, or have them reposition the mirror lower on the windshield? It's not just annoying, but not having full use of my rear view limits seeing upcoming traffic, like emergency vehicles, is a safety issue in my opinion. If Ford won't do anything about it, I may just get an aftermarket backup camera/mirror like the '12 Escape has and install it when I get the top of my windshield tinted.

Also not a fan of the factory Continental tires. They absolutely suck in the rain and will need to be replaced sooner than later. Ford reps - please pass this on to the higher ups. Again, this problem is on my car and the rental I had as well, so it's not just my car.

Thanks! Feel free to PM me if you have an answer to this as it may get lost in the shuffle.

Last edited by pablo94sc; 10-02-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: addendum
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #1572
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,353, Level 98
Points: 27,353, Level: 98 Points: 27,353, Level: 98 Points: 27,353, Level: 98
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Neighbor

You're right, your best bet is going to be replace that mirror with another mirror. The problem then is getting the "foot" off the windshield. Glues have gotten stronger over the years, so falling windshield mounted mirrors are not as common as in days gone by. I would suggest measuring the width of the "foot" once you remove your windshield, then you can be sure that whatever mirror you find to your liking will fit the foot you have.

In an extreme case where you can't find a mirror with a stalk that is long enough- you should be able to install another foot and mirror. Be careful though, do not install a new foot directly below the old foot because that's where the mirror slides on. There must be enough space under the old foot for the mirror to sit flat on the windshield between the two. That puts it down very far, and so mounting a new foot beside and below the old foot might be the best method.

I didn't mention removing the old foot for a reason- you'll damage the windshield before you could remove it- and that includes heating.

Also, I suggest that you start a thread in the 3rd Generation Focus Chat Forum to get more traffic. Cupholder problems, mirror problems, floormat problems, etc have been discussed there and here it's typically more serious drivetrain problems.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #1573
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,219, Level 35
Points: 3,219, Level: 35 Points: 3,219, Level: 35 Points: 3,219, Level: 35
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiebaiqin View Post
I have a tuxedo black 2012 ford focus hatchback, it has about 11000 miles on it.
i feel it shudders often when accelerating and decelerating. Other than this, everything is working fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo94sc View Post
...Anyone have any luck having Ford replace the mirror or stem under warranty, or have them reposition the mirror lower on the windshield? It's not just annoying, but not having full use of my rear view limits seeing upcoming traffic, like emergency vehicles, is a safety issue in my opinion...
Hi xiebaiqin and pablo94sc,

I'd like to loop in your regional Customer Service Managers and escalate your cases. Please send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, preferred servicing dealer, and a good daytime phone number. I'll get the ball rolling.

Thanks!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 10-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #1574
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

Points 1,128, Level 18
Points: 1,128, Level: 18 Points: 1,128, Level: 18 Points: 1,128, Level: 18
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsFocus View Post
It is amazing to me that people make excuses for some of these conditions. ........
Several managers have admitted that they don't believe Ford has a fix for these problems, so they need excuses. Not all Focus' are having problems, which should tell you right off that the ones that are have a problem. Something isn't right. I hope Ford finds a fix soon, or it's a Chevy Cruze for me.
Jim,

Mark my words, no fix is coming to make this unique, high efficiency transmission feel like a conventional automatic.

There is a significant difference between an excuse and a legit reason. One is just hot air and the other has merit. There's a sound technical reason why an auto-shifted manual Getrag transmission found in a new Focus or 10 year old M3 does not feel like a conventional viscous torque converter with wet clutch (widely used for 50+ yrs). I offer no excuses whatsoever, just knowledge. Knowledge is power. Ignorance is self-inflicted and it often results in unnecessary worry or bad decisions. The two technologies drastically differ and their nvh, operating behaviors significantly differ. There will NEVER be a "fix" released making this high efficiency german transmission "feel" like a conventional automatic. Soft, silent shifts and liquid feel at low speeds will not be offered by this unit because it does not have a fluid coupling to absorb vibration and to reduce both performance and economy. It is a super efficient manual tranny with a small computer to operate the proverbial clutch pedal and shifter thru hydraulic servos. I can assure you that IBM's Watson (from Jeopardy) is not at the wheel, so won't compete with or satisfy every human.

Not all Focus' are being complained about because a large percentage of owners accept the unique operating behaviors offered by this auto-shifted manual tranny. Unique feel and sounds only become a "problem" if you object to them. The behavior is somewhat affected by driving style and usage, just like all higher performance brake and clutch systems. This should tell you right off that some owners need proper education to accept certain behaviors as NORMAL, instead of getting scared and hearing endless excuses and promises of a magic fix.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #1575
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99994
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Cruze,1966 Mustang

Points 42, Level 1
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lscman View Post
Jim,

Mark my words, no fix is coming to make this unique, high efficiency transmission feel like a conventional automatic.

There is a significant difference between an excuse and a legit reason. One is just hot air and the other has merit. There's a sound technical reason why an auto-shifted manual Getrag transmission found in a new Focus or 10 year old M3 does not feel like a conventional viscous torque converter with wet clutch (widely used for 50+ yrs). I offer no excuses whatsoever, just knowledge. Knowledge is power. Ignorance is self-inflicted and it often results in unnecessary worry or bad decisions. The two technologies drastically differ and their nvh, operating behaviors significantly differ. There will NEVER be a "fix" released making this high efficiency german transmission "feel" like a conventional automatic. Soft, silent shifts and liquid feel at low speeds will not be offered by this unit because it does not have a fluid coupling to absorb vibration and to reduce both performance and economy. It is a super efficient manual tranny with a small computer to operate the proverbial clutch pedal and shifter thru hydraulic servos. I can assure you that IBM's Watson (from Jeopardy) is not at the wheel, so won't compete with or satisfy every human.

Not all Focus' are being complained about because a large percentage of owners accept the unique operating behaviors offered by this auto-shifted manual tranny. Unique feel and sounds only become a "problem" if you object to them. The behavior is somewhat affected by driving style and usage, just like all higher performance brake and clutch systems. This should tell you right off that some owners need proper education to accept certain behaviors as NORMAL, instead of getting scared and hearing endless excuses and promises of a magic fix.
I don't think you read all my posts. I was perfectly happy with my Focus until the loud grinding and erratic shifting started. I wasn't imagining the problem, and it was not a matter of comparing a DCT to a conventional automatic. I didn't take my car in to complain. I took it in to find out what the noise was and will I damage anything by continuing to drive it. I was told by two service managers that there was a problem with my transmission, the excessive noise was NOT normal and Ford didn't know how to fix it. Both managers said they had several other Focus' with the same problem and they are not getting any repair orders from Ford engineers. I realized that there was no fix coming soon from Ford. These complaints started with the 2011 Fiesta and there has been no resolution in almost two years. My Focus is gone, and now I'm a happier person.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #1576
3focuslater
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80943
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE/ Black/Sync/Auto/Moon

FF Reputation: 1 3focuslater Good Standing Member
Mine has 1800 Miles on it and all the shuttering and hesitating are all gone.. It drives like a dream.. Took some time, but its perfect now.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #1577
JoeMcCrary
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104632
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 JoeMcCrary Good Standing Member
Transmission

Hi all.

I just joined this forum when I did a google search this morning for issues related to the transmissions on the 2012 Ford Focus. I have about 10k miles on mine, and every now and then I can hear grinding when it shifts up thought 3rd. (I don't use the Sport mode on it.) The software update has already been installed.

I've noticed this car is horrible in stop-and-go traffic -- it's tough to gradually accelerate in that traffic.

It's at the dealership now. I'll advise when I hear back from them.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #1578
JoeMcCrary
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104632
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 JoeMcCrary Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-lou View Post
If you are not satisfied with the work performed at your dealer get ford customer service involved they will tell you how to proceed....B-lou
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. So far, though, I've been happy with Cherokee Ford in Woodstock, GA.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #1579
Jen299
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103814
What I Drive: 2012 focus se red

FF Reputation: 1 Jen299 Good Standing Member
After a month of my car being in the shop Getting a new transmission and steering rack lol it broke down on my way to work this am smoking and loud noise then shut down. I had to push it off the road. Back to the shop tomorrow 2012 focus what else can go wrong really.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #1580
Jen299
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103814
What I Drive: 2012 focus se red

FF Reputation: 1 Jen299 Good Standing Member
It's a holiday no one is there. I will let them know how I had to walk home at 5am after pushing my car off the road to get my husband to help me then get me to work

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.