Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 152 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #1511
Blk5dr64
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100542
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titainium

FF Reputation: 1 Blk5dr64 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dealer Visit

Left car overnite so they could have it on early morning start-up when the shift/lurch occurs. "Can not duplicate any concerns at this time"

Also the seeming to be stuck in 5th gear.......I was told this is normal, that when I let up on the gas my car is going to coast to a stop and not roll freely. Going downhill in my Charger, let off the gas it actually speeds up because it is coasting. The Focus does not do that, it rolls to a stop. And this is normal. Well shame on me, but I think mpg would be affected by this behavior.

Also, my service rep told me young people do not complain about the DCT. It is only us "old Guys"........

He also said another update is on the way.......
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 04:31 AM   #1512
mjb457
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96645
What I Drive: 12 Focus SE , 03 PT Cruiser GT

Points 777, Level 14
Points: 777, Level: 14 Points: 777, Level: 14 Points: 777, Level: 14
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 0 mjb457 Newbie
Trans

Ok Im not liking what Im hearing ---taking it back for 2nd time--getting it documented..... If needed 3rd time than on to proffessional help...... I hope thats not needed(I like the features and ride) MJB
Old 09-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #1513
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,138, Level 97
Points: 27,138, Level: 97 Points: 27,138, Level: 97 Points: 27,138, Level: 97
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk5dr64 View Post
Also, my service rep told me young people do not complain about the DCT. It is only us "old Guys"........

He also said another update is on the way.......
I have recommended that people drive like teenagers.

Don't hover over the pedals: either be on the gas or on the brake. It's going to try to shift up ASAP for fuel economy, and you can't sit in gear not touching the gas or brake waiting for the person in front of you to move off from a light like you might be able to do with that Charger.

Why the DCT doesn't coast in N or 6th is beyond me. Chargers have hydraulic torque converter automatics, so it is acting as it should. TC autos coast like that because if you aren't spinning the motor past the stall speed, then the trans and motor are not completely "hooked" up. I agree that I think it would increase fuel economy. It might be one of those stupid transportation rules- like you're not supposed to coast in N in a manual transmission. I break that law all the time.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #1514
Blk5dr64
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Coasting

Driving home yesterday afternoon in rush hour traffic I was not able to determine what the trans was doing. This morning with no traffic the car now still does not coast, but now downshifts itself while slowing down. I may not have done enough research, or drive like a teenager, but I think any car that slows itself hurts its mpg.

Thanks to those that have replied, your input is appreciated.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #1515
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Quote:
Driving home yesterday afternoon in rush hour traffic I was not able to determine what the trans was doing. This morning with no traffic the car now still does not coast, but now downshifts itself while slowing down. I may not have done enough research, or drive like a teenager, but I think any car that slows itself hurts its mpg.

If I am driving a car w a manual, when I slow down in gear, the car slows down. It does not coast. If I disengage the clutch, the car coasts in neutral. I drove with a guy in LA some years ago and he coasted downhill in neutral and turned off the ignition. It was dangerous.

All cars in gear will slow down, some more so than others depending on their gearing.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #1516
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
Quote:

The more I read the latest posts I am convinced that many driving the Focus DCT have no idea what they are dealing with. I'm sure most of them have never driven a standard transmission.
I really think Ford has done them a disservice by not explaining the nuances of the DCT prior to purchase. I researched the DCT prior to purchase and it led me to buy a Focus.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #1517
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatto View Post
The more I read the latest posts I am convinced that many driving the Focus DCT have no idea what they are dealing with. I'm sure most of them have never driven a standard transmission.
I really think Ford has done them a disservice by not explaining the nuances of the DCT prior to purchase. I researched the DCT prior to purchase and it led me to buy a Focus.
I agree and did the same. I knew what to expect and was thrilled with my test drive. The DCT is a well designed manual transmission that is controlled by software. I am sure that there will be software updates based on owners' feedback but the DCT will never behave like a torque converter based conventional transmission.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #1518
NCFocus12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103684
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 NCFocus12 Good Standing Member
I don't see a problem in the "working-as-designed" behavior of this trans, maybe because I've owned manuals and automatics, and I view this car as a manual sans clutch pedal and shifter (a la MOPAR). If you view it that way, and expect it to behave as an "automated manual," then you level-set your expectations, and your expectations will be met. This is not an "automatic transmission." Sales should do a better job (and be directed from the top-down) to explain it this way, and explain how it increases economy. There is a REASON the "auto" gets better mileage than the standard manual, so it should be sold as the computer-controlled manual, best of both world, automated driving +mpg.

As far as the last few comments and complaints, I simply speed up a few MPH on the downslope, by goosing the throttle, and keep some momentum going when the grade starts again. Accel downhill, lighter throttle uphill.......works fine for me. And I'm currently getting upwards of 40MPG on 55mph 2-lanes over 30-40 miles using this method, and it's not even broken in yet.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #1519
Blk5dr64
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Feedback

Thanks to all for the feedback. I still have not obtained more then 30 mpg even driving with an "egg on the gas pedal".

As said before, the trans was never, and still has not, discussed at length with me.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #1520
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFocus12 View Post
I don't see a problem in the "working-as-designed" behavior of this trans, maybe because I've owned manuals and automatics, and I view this car as a manual sans clutch pedal and shifter (a la MOPAR). If you view it that way, and expect it to behave as an "automated manual," then you level-set your expectations, and your expectations will be met. This is not an "automatic transmission." Sales should do a better job (and be directed from the top-down) to explain it this way, and explain how it increases economy. There is a REASON the "auto" gets better mileage than the standard manual, so it should be sold as the computer-controlled manual, best of both world, automated driving +mpg.

As far as the last few comments and complaints, I simply speed up a few MPH on the downslope, by goosing the throttle, and keep some momentum going when the grade starts again. Accel downhill, lighter throttle uphill.......works fine for me. And I'm currently getting upwards of 40MPG on 55mph 2-lanes over 30-40 miles using this method, and it's not even broken in yet.
Precisely the solution which is also what you do with a manual tranny so that the engine does not stall.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.