Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 146 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #1451
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLarson View Post
While I don't discount the fact that there are some bad egg dealers/service departments, as my father had a horrible experience with one, does that mean we should "throw the baby out with the bath water"? NO. Take your business elsewhere. Never buy from that dealer and tell your friends not to as well. But don't blame bad service on the car. That's right along the same lines as the gun killed the dude, not the dirtbag holding it. Doesn't make any sense.

Do all cars have issues, YES. Anyone remember Toyota gas pedal/floor mats? Or dodge's reoccurring transmition issues? Or small interior pieces on chevy's just falling off? Or the right tail light on the Prius constantly going out? The list goes on and on.

While I am empathetic with the issues a fringe group of people are experiencing, and I dont doubt (most of) their legitimacy; does that mean ALL Fords are going to go to the crapper? NO.

You may notice, the people who are making the most noise(b-Lou and the like) have only posted a hand full of times, and have been members of this forum for a short time. While the people who are not having issues and love their Focus', people who you might consider "fanatics" have been on this forum for years and have hundreds even thousands of posts.

If you don't like your Ford, sell it, if you havnt already. And don't look back. Don't treat people like idiots who can't do their own research and figure out for themselves if they want to buy a focus.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Let's leave it at that.
Well said, bravo! When I picked up my new Focus I almost immediately experienced a problem with my transmission. It was a visit to this forum that where I learned of all the nuances associated with the DCT. When I took my car in I was fully equipped to explain my problems with the service manager who had my car's system reflashed and solved my problem.
Now when I visit this forum all I read are gripes and attacks from those who apparently can not revolve their issues.
What they expect to achieve by doing this is beyond me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #1452
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,738, Level 94
Points: 23,738, Level: 94 Points: 23,738, Level: 94 Points: 23,738, Level: 94
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLarson View Post
While I don't discount the fact that there are some bad egg dealers/service departments, as my father had a horrible experience with one, does that mean we should "throw the baby out with the bath water"? NO. Take your business elsewhere. Never buy from that dealer and tell your friends not to as well. But don't blame bad service on the car. That's right along the same lines as the gun killed the dude, not the dirtbag holding it. Doesn't make any sense.

Do all cars have issues, YES. Anyone remember Toyota gas pedal/floor mats? Or dodge's reoccurring transmition issues? Or small interior pieces on chevy's just falling off? Or the right tail light on the Prius constantly going out? The list goes on and on.

While I am empathetic with the issues a fringe group of people are experiencing, and I dont doubt (most of) their legitimacy; does that mean ALL Fords are going to go to the crapper? NO.

You may notice, the people who are making the most noise(b-Lou and the like) have only posted a hand full of times, and have been members of this forum for a short time. While the people who are not having issues and love their Focus', people who you might consider "fanatics" have been on this forum for years and have hundreds even thousands of posts.

If you don't like your Ford, sell it, if you havnt already. And don't look back. Don't treat people like idiots who can't do their own research and figure out for themselves if they want to buy a focus.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Let's leave it at that.
^^^This

I think that what B-Lou and Lifocus don't seem to understand is that many of us 'fanatics' have had issues with our cars as well. That is how most of us have come upon the knowledge of the car/parts/issues that have arisen.

My SEL shifted like hell, period. I worked with my service dept to try and come up with a solution, and this was before I/they were aware (or before it occured) of 12B37. Ultimately it got traded in on my Ti.

My Ti shifted like a champ, but I had the standard throttle lag and ultimately developed the clunk. I spent countless hours in the shop, tried to work with the reps/mechs and did multiple hours of internet research/discussions with forum members, etc. Ultimately my Service Department failed me and I took matters in to my own hands to fix the issues.

This is why the 'fanatics' have a problem when someone who no longer owns a Focus says that the only option is to either not buy one or to lawyer up. There is a small group of people that got dealt a bad hand, and we empathize with that more than you think. But a rambling, ill-worded, poorly punctuated post is worth little here, especially from those with minimal post counts. All it does is draw out the trolls that nothing positive to say or contribute to the community.

Despite the issues that plague our first-model-year car, the 'would you buy your car again' poll still shows an 85% approval rating. Would that number be better if it was 100%? Of course. Realistically speaking, though, it will never be for us or any other model car out there. Ever.

There are many possible issues with our cars. My tail lights have rubbed through the paint despite trying to relocate them. My front end clunks. The first 3,000 miles I owned the car I lost well over $1000 in pay by having to take time off of work to try and get things fixed. Hell, even my wipers got screwed up due to a MFT update (wtf?). But ultimately, my car (as a whole) has been awesome and the only thing I would have done differently is waited for the first-year bugs to have been (for the majority) worked out.

Buying a first-model-year car was my fault, not Ford's. Lesson learned and drive on.
2014 FiST-
Old 09-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #1453
dyn085
That Guy

Points 23,738, Level 94
Level Up 39% Completed
Forum Activity 12%
I guess you didn't read about the problems my car had/has. That, and how I handled/am handling it. I routinely post and relay my information to members of the community.

That is how it's relevant

Sent from my stupid phone, please dismiss my illiteracy
2014 FiST-
Old 09-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #1454
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93807
What I Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport Auto FWD

FF Reputation: 1 ruthrj Good Standing Member
dyn085,

Have you ever bought any other first year model cars and had quirks with them? I too learned a lesson by purchasing a 1st model year '12 Focus and luckily had it bought back, and I don't want to screw myself over again.

The reason I ask is because I'm looking at the 2013 Mazda CX-5 (a first year model car) and I don't want to repeat the same mistake. My gut is telling me to go with another car like a Kia Optima or Hyundai Sonata which are going into their 3rd year with their current designs.

Slightly off topic I know, but the thread continues to derail and I hope this will bring it back. Short thoughts from anybody else would be greatly appreciated too!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #1455
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

Points 123,836, Level 100
Points: 123,836, Level: 100 Points: 123,836, Level: 100 Points: 123,836, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
B-lou... It's not if you start a situation it's how you ultimately handle and finish the situation that counts...

I have issues with my Focus as well... I have the clunk, TSB applied last week, still clunks... I will be fixing next spring with coilovers. I had problems with my Typhoon intake initially, because of Ford's poor MAF housing design. I fixed it and now love the thing.
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 09-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #1456
dyn085
That Guy

Points 23,738, Level 94
Level Up 39% Completed
Forum Activity 12%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
dyn085,

Have you ever bought any other first year model cars and had quirks with them? I too learned a lesson by purchasing a 1st model year '12 Focus and luckily had it bought back, and I don't want to screw myself over again.

The reason I ask is because I'm looking at the 2013 Mazda CX-5 (a first year model car) and I don't want to repeat the same mistake. My gut is telling me to go with another car like a Kia Optima or Hyundai Sonata which are going into their 3rd year with their current designs.

Slightly off topic I know, but the thread continues to derail and I hope this will bring it back. Short thoughts from anybody else would be greatly appreciated too!
I had an '02 ZX3 that had to get a new transmission, but this is the first first-model-year car I've had. I've nevet spent so much time back at the service dept with 5 other new cars. I swore I would never own a first year, but I needed a swap before summer.

Personally, I would advise against any first model year...and this will be my last first model year car.

Sent from my stupid phone, please dismiss my illiteracy
2014 FiST-
Old 09-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #1457
Continuous
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84970
What I Drive: 2004 SVT ZX3 Infra-Red

Points 1,029, Level 17
Points: 1,029, Level: 17 Points: 1,029, Level: 17 Points: 1,029, Level: 17
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Continuous Good Standing Member
I am a ford service technician and we have that same thing it does take about 1,000 miles for them to break in

Sent from my DROID RAZR using FF Mobile
Old 09-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #1458
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93807
What I Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport Auto FWD

FF Reputation: 1 ruthrj Good Standing Member
Thanks for the advice, I had to ask quick before I forgot to ask elsewhere in the appropriate thread/forum.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #1459
WrenthamMA
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103849
What I Drive: 2012 White SE

FF Reputation: 1 WrenthamMA Good Standing Member
Has anyone else experienced sudden, near total electrical failure, including loss of instruments, and accompanied by the loss of:
-Turn signals
-Brake lights & headlamps
-Horn, etc?
Radio was functioning, though the display was dim. The main display read "Put Transmission in Park" (or something to that effect).
This occurred while driving "normally," and during the day. Had it occurred at night, consequences could have been very serious.
Dealer, after 2.5 days of repairs, replaced a body control module. Have not experienced recurrence after two days.
Please reply if you've had a similar experience. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #1460
mikebontoft
Derpy Cheetah

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,307, Level 93
Points: 23,307, Level: 93 Points: 23,307, Level: 93 Points: 23,307, Level: 93
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
^^ thank you, back on topic.

I recall a thread a few days ago with that exact same problem.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics

Bookmarks & Social Networks