Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 116 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #1151
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I think Ford has a public relations problem. The introduce a new transmission in the 2012 Focus. Put it on the market without any explanation as what a driver will expect before it has broken in.
I really can't blame some of the folks here. They buy a new car with what they assume is an automatic transmission and then are confronted with nuances associated with a dual clutch transmission. Since the car is new they panic and they return to the service department where they get anything but a satisfactory or believable answer.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #1152
20Focus13
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92454
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST ST3,2012 GT500 750HP

FF Reputation: 1 20Focus13 Good Standing Member
I have to agree with ElGatto. I have and will always own mostly Ford's and never had a issue with any of my cars but the DCT is a great transmission for spirited driving like the BMW's and Bugatti's and the like but the normal slow starting off that most due in say parking lots and around our sub divisions and in heavy traffic are not its best use. I hope Ford can get the programming finessed enough for everyone. Even BMW had issues with its M3 M DCT in the start of the model but I think that they finally got the program usable in the slow taking off as well as the sport use of their cars. Wikipedia has info on some other cars with them at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-cl..._Motor_Company
Old 07-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #1153
avery_d
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101455
What I Drive: 2012, Silver, SE

FF Reputation: 1 avery_d Good Standing Member
dvandy4898,

has your transmission gotten any smoother? I just purchased mine last week and so far has 1000 miles on it.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:38 AM   #1154
RFrench6646
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101073
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Sonic Blue, Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 RFrench6646 Good Standing Member
Intersting Read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Focus13 View Post
I have to agree with ElGatto. I have and will always own mostly Ford's and never had a issue with any of my cars but the DCT is a great transmission for spirited driving like the BMW's and Bugatti's and the like but the normal slow starting off that most due in say parking lots and around our sub divisions and in heavy traffic are not its best use. I hope Ford can get the programming finessed enough for everyone. Even BMW had issues with its M3 M DCT in the start of the model but I think that they finally got the program usable in the slow taking off as well as the sport use of their cars. Wikipedia has info on some other cars with them at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-cl..._Motor_Company
Thanks for the link ElGatto! I didn't realize just how "new" this technology was. I have been driving for 30+ years, and have been so used to the tried and true Auto trannys, and stick shifters, that it's no wonder I wasn't feeling comfortable with the DCT. But I've never been one to say that something new shouldn't be tried. Think where we'd be if everybody said "let's keep things the same forever" back in the stone age! With most cars out there, the "lemon ratio" is usually around 5% or less. Take those out of the equation, and the rest of the problematic vehicles people have are probably due to a lack of understanding, and effort to do so. I really believe that a better education on the dealerships part, on how this DCT works, and how to drive it, would relieve a lot of this frustration I'm reading. My dealer was outstanding at all areas, except this. Albeit, when I took delivery, he did ask me if I had any questions. Me (thinking I new it all) said "nope, I'm good!" Right there, he should have brought this up, as I would have listened if he mentioned the difference in old tech vs. new. Thankfully, I have the wealth of informed people right here to help aleviate my worries!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:23 AM   #1155
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by avery_d View Post
dvandy4898,

has your transmission gotten any smoother? I just purchased mine last week and so far has 1000 miles on it.
It will take 2 or 3 thousand miles before you become comfortable driving a DCT, however, starting off slowly you may encounter shuttering.
Check with your service department and make sure that your Focus has been updated with the latest software. I had to bring mine back for the update.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #1156
firemenorange
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101479
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 firemenorange Good Standing Member
I purchased a 2012 Ford Focus in March and I put 7,000 miles on it and it had the select shift in it did not like how it was shifting and shuddering and at a dead stop and trying to go it would act like it wanted to kill out. than I went back to the dealer and traded it out for the SE with the L in the shifter in May that car I have almost 7,000 miles on it the transmission is still doing shuddering and jerking when try to give it gas Ford Motor Company I've called them and complain but nothing I'm about to test drive the new Dodge Dart and trade the Focus in the transmission was a bad move on Fords part I took it to 2 Ford Dealers about the problem they say that its working like Ford design it.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #1157
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemenorange View Post
I purchased a 2012 Ford Focus in March and I put 7,000 miles on it and it had the select shift in it did not like how it was shifting and shuddering and at a dead stop and trying to go it would act like it wanted to kill out. than I went back to the dealer and traded it out for the SE with the L in the shifter in May that car I have almost 7,000 miles on it the transmission is still doing shuddering and jerking when try to give it gas Ford Motor Company I've called them and complain but nothing I'm about to test drive the new Dodge Dart and trade the Focus in the transmission was a bad move on Fords part I took it to 2 Ford Dealers about the problem they say that its working like Ford design it.
A Dodge Dart? Are you sure?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #1158
firemenorange
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101479
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 firemenorange Good Standing Member
Do have a problem with me trying out a Dodge Dart? If I'm not getting no satisfactory with Ford Motor Company I will go somewhere else. Ford needs to go back to old school on the transmission thats the only problem I do have with the car and it did have the update done to it and a recall done to.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #1159
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99994
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Cruze,1966 Mustang

Points 42, Level 1
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsFocus Good Standing Member
Dodge Dart looks interesting!
Old 07-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #1160
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemenorange View Post
Do have a problem with me trying out a Dodge Dart? If I'm not getting no satisfactory with Ford Motor Company I will go somewhere else. Ford needs to go back to old school on the transmission thats the only problem I do have with the car and it did have the update done to it and a recall done to.
It's a shame you can't master the Focus transmission. I'm just wary of any Chrysler product having a lot of bad experiences owning a Dodge Dart a while back.
Good luck whatever your decision.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.