Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 113 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #1121
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

Points 2,434, Level 29
Points: 2,434, Level: 29 Points: 2,434, Level: 29 Points: 2,434, Level: 29
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've learned over the years not to get too excited about the wierd noises that cars make. Engine & transmission noises can be difficult to get resolved because modern cars & repair techniques very often require that the car's computer tell the technicians that there's a problem. No code, no problem.

I can't tell you how many times I've taken a car in for a wierd noise, only to have it returned to me with 'unable to duplicate' or 'operating normally'. I've had the best luck when I insist that a tech or service writer go for a ride with me...and even then, I sometimes get "yup...they all do that". The biggest exception was my brand new 2002 Altima that was eating front struts like they were candy. That was a noise that even Nissan couldn't explain away.

Your choices with the Focus are to accept the mechanical differences and all the things that go along with it, trade it in for a manual transmission Focus, or trade it for a totally different car. This transmission simply isn't going to behave or sound exactly like a slushbox. Speaking for myself, I'm glad carmakers are finally embracing a method to get rid of torque converters. While they do provide a smooth & silky driving experience, I find them to be power robbers.

Having said that....I will say that Ford's software writers still have some work ahead of them. My May '12-build-date Focus doesn't seem to be exhibiting any of the really bad behavior that earlier-build owners are complaining about. Ford needs to write an effective patch for those folks.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #1122
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100905
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Dylan1970 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmortonkingston View Post
I purchased my car in Nov 2011 and have 14,000KM on it. I am desperately trying to get help with the transmission (as with others)
Ever since I purchased my car I have had a shuddering issue that seems to be somewhat 'normal' but not acceptable in my opinion.
I no longer feel safe with my car in certain situations (If I am going to cross traffic I will no longer do so unless I have 10 times more room than I should require) I have been caught in too many situations where I have attempted to accelerate, only to be stuck cross wise in oncoming traffic cause my car is shuddering so badly it won't move. It feels as though I am driving a standard and the car is still in 4th gear but should be in 1st or maybe 2nd gear.
Believe me when I say, NOT PLEASANT.
We recently drove my car 6.5 hours away to Philadelphia for the Canada Day long weekend and were taking in the Iron Maiden concerts in Philly & Washington. After getting off the highway and coming into Philly the car was at it's worst. Lot's of stop and go traffic for a ways and every time I pressed the gas to move forward it felt like the car was going to vibrate me out of the seat it was shuddering so badly.
So moving forward from that approx 4-6 times in total I have also had a problem with the car neutralizing. Usually when I press the gas to accelerate in traffic, it just zinged up and slowed down. Once it happened while I was attempting to pass a car in fornt of me and I was heading into the other lane of traffic, thankfully I realized what was happening soon enough that I just got back over and didn't need to crap my pants at oncoming traffic.

I have had my car to my local dealer complaining of the shuddering since I purchased the car and have been told that it needs to be reset, it will take xxx amount of km's to learn my driving habits and after our trip to Philly I brought my car in and all that was done was reset the adaptive stragies again.
I am beyond upset and frustrated because I do love my car but am getting frustrated that I do not feel safe while driving it. I planned on driving 11 hours to New Brunswick to visit my grandmother but after the last trip that will not happen. Not with this car anyway. The dealer told me to keep driving it till it blows up!!! I was appalled that the service tech would tell me that. Told me "no worries, there is roadside assistance on it"

Seriously!!??

Anybodies comments or suggestions would be extremely welcome as I need help. They had no problem charging me $29,000 for my fully loaded Titanium but not so much on the fixing part.

Thanks everone.
Darla

There was a software update that came out earlier this year for models built in 2011. Not sure if you're aware of that or not. Some people say it helps smooth things out. Remember, this is a new design and there will be some glitches. I had some shuddering too but mine is running like a gem....of course my car was built in May 2012 so I had all the updates from day 1.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #1123
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99994
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Cruze,1966 Mustang

Points 42, Level 1
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsFocus Good Standing Member
It is amazing to me that people make excuses for some of these conditions. If you have a car that is not giving you trouble, that's great, but many are having problems, safety issues and can get no help. The dealer had my car for two days. I picked it up today. The sevice manager told me they heard the noises, felt the sloppy shifting, said there is a problem, but there is nothing they can do. Ford would not allow any work on the trans because the engineers said to roll up my windows, turn on the radio and if I can't hear the noises, there is no problem! The one's making the worst excuses are Ford! Telling people they need to wait until the clutches break in...after 8,000 miles!

Several managers have admitted that they don't believe Ford has a fix for these problems, so they need excuses. Not all Focus' are having problems, which should tell you right off that the ones that are have a problem. Something isn't right. I hope Ford finds a fix soon, or it's a Chevy Cruze for me.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #1124
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsFocus View Post
It is amazing to me that people make excuses for some of these conditions. If you have a car that is not giving you trouble, that's great, but many are having problems, safety issues and can get no help. The dealer had my car for two days. I picked it up today. The sevice manager told me they heard the noises, felt the sloppy shifting, said there is a problem, but there is nothing they can do. Ford would not allow any work on the trans because the engineers said to roll up my windows, turn on the radio and if I can't hear the noises, there is no problem! The one's making the worst excuses are Ford! Telling people they need to wait until the clutches break in...after 8,000 miles!

Several managers have admitted that they don't believe Ford has a fix for these problems, so they need excuses. Not all Focus' are having problems, which should tell you right off that the ones that are have a problem. Something isn't right. I hope Ford finds a fix soon, or it's a Chevy Cruze for me.
Did you get the Service Manager's response in writing? If not go back and get it. Then confront Ford.
I deal with All American Ford in Hackensack and I can assure you he would never give me a response like you got. He'd find himself out of a job.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #1125
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Points 42, Level 1
Level Up 84% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Two managers have told me there is no fix. I writing...no.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #1126
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Two managers have told me there is no fix. I writing...no.
Have you contacted Ford. 800-392-3673?
If I had your problems I would be a thorn in their backside.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #1127
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Points 42, Level 1
Level Up 84% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I just started working with a regional manager.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #1128
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100905
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Dylan1970 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I just started working with a regional manager.

Thing is when did you buy your Focus? It seems to me the people with the most problems are the ones who bought their car in 2011 before the latest software update. My car was built in May of 2012 so I have all the updates and except for the light rattling which I'm told is not uncommon, everything else is fine. Make sure you have the latest software update, I think it came out mid-spring.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #1129
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1970 View Post
Thing is when did you buy your Focus? It seems to me the people with the most problems are the ones who bought their car in 2011 before the latest software update. My car was built in May of 2012 so I have all the updates and except for the light rattling which I'm told is not uncommon, everything else is fine. Make sure you have the latest software update, I think it came out mid-spring.
Make sure your passenger seat belt buckle lies flat. When it isn't it rattles on the door jam.
At least, that was the cause of my rattle.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #1130
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Points 42, Level 1
Level Up 84% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I bought my car in Jan. 2012, and it was built on Dec. 19 2011. I've had the recall updates. The passenger seat belt does rattle at times, but this is not the noise I'm complaining about. That rattle is nothing compared to the trans rattle.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.