Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 108 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #1071
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondy View Post
I too bought my 2012 Focus in April 2012. I drove it for two weeks, then it wouldn't start. It ended up being a faulty body control module. I had a loaner car for two days from the dealer. I got my car back, and I thought it was running pretty good. But, I do notice some hesitation as described by several focus owners on this forum. Also, I received a letter from Ford about a recall on the 2012 Focus for roll-back. I've had that fixed now for about two months. Although, when I park on an incline, it acts like it wants to roll but it doesn't. I really like this car. It's sporty looking with a smooth ride. My sister likes the smooth ride and the look. My hubby notices the "weird shifting" and says I should take it in. I have about 1600 miles on it. Do I still need to drive out the kinks, so to speak?
The shifting on a new Focus seems a little weird to someone who has never experienced a DCT. It was to me. It takes several thousand miles for the car to get used to your style of driving. I now have around 3000 miles on my Focus and contrary to what I have read in this forum it is a pleasure to drive.
Take your Focus out and drive it for a day a various speeds. Get on a highway. It's a learning process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 05:53 AM   #1072
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Whoa, this is a thread for people who are having problems with their 3rd Generation Focus. If you want to talk about how great your Focus is, then please see the 3rd Generation Ford Focus Chat section so you can hang out with other Focus owners.

We are all here to help people, and it is not helpful to be telling someone with a bum car that your car is just fine. I'm sure that all the comments made here were an attempt to reassure owners with problems that their problems will go away. If you've had a serious problem with your vehicle, and it's been repaired, then it's ok to chat about that in here. Otherwise, please allow this particular thread to be for people who are experiencing problems with their 2012 Focus, and are trying to get help through our Ford Customer Service representative.

Thanks for posting.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #1073
Blk5dr64
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100542
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titainium

FF Reputation: 1 Blk5dr64 Good Standing Member
Other Driver

Ok! So I drive my Focus 2000 miles and all the shifting problems stop and all is right with the world, does that mean if my wife drives the car all this will start over for her? It is a "learning experience". I "learned" from one boss on the job what was expected and how to perform. Then I got a new boss and had to "learn" from her. So will my Focus need to "learn" from everyone that drives it?

I am perplexed also.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #1074
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Whoa, this is a thread for people who are having problems with their 3rd Generation Focus. If you want to talk about how great your Focus is, then please see the 3rd Generation Ford Focus Chat section so you can hang out with other Focus owners.

We are all here to help people, and it is not helpful to be telling someone with a bum car that your car is just fine. I'm sure that all the comments made here were an attempt to reassure owners with problems that their problems will go away. If you've had a serious problem with your vehicle, and it's been repaired, then it's ok to chat about that in here. Otherwise, please allow this particular thread to be for people who are experiencing problems with their 2012 Focus, and are trying to get help through our Ford Customer Service representative.

Thanks for posting.
Sorry, I don't think a lot of the BS posted helps anyone. If you are inclined, read my early posts as I did have Transmission problems early on.
And further more, I will post when and where I decide to not where you decide!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #1075
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by apwelsh View Post
...After a few days I noticed the transmission was acting up. I recognized the symptoms and suspected it was probably transmission related and not an major engine problem.

My dealership told me I was correct and that they could reprogram the unit. After doing so my car ran great again. For a week. Then my mileage dropped from 34 avg to 30 mpg. I noticed the car was feeling odd but not lugging like before.

Today the clutch started slipping really bad. It's back at the dealership. I hope they fix it. I am so upset and depressed that this is happening. I love that car but I don't want a problem and it looks like I may have made a huge mistake in my purchase decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apwelsh View Post
Well I left the car with Fritz Ford in California and they claim they can't find anything wrong with my car. They claim to have put 44 miles on the car and went up and down hills. There aren't any hills with a 20 mile radius...

...I should have never bought my two fords. This is a joke.
apwelsh -

I may have the remedy! MPG will improve over time. Did you get your Focus back from the dealer? Please send me some info (VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer); I'll loop in your region's Customer Service Manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium_Princess View Post
...My Titanium is back at the dealership...I cannot begin to express my fricken frustration.. I did get the update and it appears to be worse.. It's shifting too soon and almost got me killed as I was crossing traffic and it didn't want to go anywhere because it shifted incorrectly and created an almost stand still in the middle of the road...I am extremely disappointed with the service I have received from Rich Ford here in Albuquerque, NM...What I WANT IS MY NEW FORD FOCUS TITANIUM that I am paying for every month to deliver what I was expecting when I took ownership at the end of March...
Titanium_Princess -

I'll see how I can help. Have you spoken to your region's Customer Service Manager about this? If you haven't, please shoot me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer; I'll forward this along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsFocus View Post
I took my Focus to a different dealer today. (I've been waiting 1 1/2 weeks for a loaner from the first dealer) They drove it, heard the noises and felt the hard shifting. Plugged it into the computer and found no error codes. Sorry, they said, we are aware of the problems but do not have a fix at this time.
JimsFocus -

I'd like your Customer Service Manager to look into this. If you haven't done so already, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer. How long has this been happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk5dr64 View Post
I am reading all about the shuddering, but what about the "leap frog". My 2012 with 995 miles sometimes "leaps" out from under me when changing from 1st gear to 2nd. It happened everytime I pressed the gas today while stuck in a traffic jam.
Blk5dr64 -

I'd like to jump on this situation. Drop me a line with your VIN, mileage, phone #, and preferred servicing dealer. Have you taken it in for an inspection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldguard View Post
We got 2 new cars within a couple of months: 2012 Fiesta SE and 2012 Focus SEL...

Focus Powershift:...Even with latest reflash last month, it lurches and shudders. The shudder seems to shake the entire car...It wants to be in 5th gear at 20 mph...My daughter doesn't like to drive it. She feels like it is about to stall out when she turns left across traffic...When the Powershift is making its own decisions, it wants to stay bogged down at 1500 rpm. It is a slug. I will limit comments on this post only to transmission. Lots of other good things about car. But that transmission!...
theoldguard -

Thanks for posting your details on the Focus PowerShift transmission. Have you see your dealer since the program update? I'll forward this to your region's Customer Service Manager for review; please PM your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvandy4898 View Post
So my latest adventure with my 2012 For Focus purchased May 2011 after many service calls on it... replacement of bearing and seal, assembly front struts, shock absorb-er front, and blower motor on the air conditioner...This car is nothing but a headache. I have missed time from work due to the multiple issues on this car. Nothing like having to make a monthly payment on a vehicle you have no faith in. My husband and I both owned Fords...
dvandy4898 -

I'll see if I can provide some aspirin, in the shape of a Customer Service Manager. Please send me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer info; I'll forward these details immediately. When was the last time it was at the dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk5dr64 View Post
Ok! So I drive my Focus 2000 miles and all the shifting problems stop and all is right with the world, does that mean if my wife drives the car all this will start over for her? It is a "learning experience". I "learned" from one boss on the job what was expected and how to perform. Then I got a new boss and had to "learn" from her. So will my Focus need to "learn" from everyone that drives it?...
Blk5dr64 -

There's a slight break-in period with this transmission. Simply put, it will show unique attributes, such as engine speed and slight shifting noises. It's a learning experience for both car and driver.

For all, I'm still gathering information and will loop in our appropriate Ford contacts about the 12B37 program. I'm paying close attention to this thread. I'll make another post about this soon.

All the best,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 07-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #1076
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Thank you, Thomas for being here. I hope I never need you....but it's nice that you're trying to help the guys that are having trouble.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #1077
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100905
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Dylan1970 Good Standing Member
I have about 750 miles on my Focus and I'm experiencing the same transmission issues as everyone else. The thing that bothers me most is on the first and second shift I can hear a slight rattle under the car....it sounds like a clutch being let out or a similar sound.The car does shift okay and my dealership didn't identify a problem when I had them check it but it is kinda annoying. I think people outside my car can hear it too and it's a little embarrassing. I guess I'm wondering how to drive this car, I don't normally blast off from an intersection like some do. Is there a special way to drive the car, I don't want to ruin it. Will this rattle go away with time or am I stuck with it? My car also drifts back after I put it in park on my driveway I don't mind that I figure that's normal....am I correct? Other than that I love my car and it does drive really nice and everything else is okay. Can anybody answer these questions??
Old 07-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #1078
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
There's no special way to drive the car. If it's working like it should, it can be driven like any other car. Transmission noises should definitely be looked at by the dealer. You're definitely not stuck with it....mine operates silently, as yours should.

Moving a little forward or back after shifting to park is normal.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #1079
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100905
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Dylan1970 Good Standing Member
As I stated the noise is a slight rattle, I thought maybe something was loose under the car. My dealer then explained that it is a new transmission design with dual clutches. Like I said, when I hear it is usually on the first shift....it doesn't shake the car or prevent it from shifting. The car has good pull away power and accelerates really good, it's just that I'm so tuned into every noise and this is my first new car in several years so I'm not used to the new features yet. Maybe with some time and mileage it will get smoother, I have to remember I'm not even through the break-in period yet.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #1080
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1970 View Post
As I stated the noise is a slight rattle, I thought maybe something was loose under the car. My dealer then explained that it is a new transmission design with dual clutches. Like I said, when I hear it is usually on the first shift....it doesn't shake the car or prevent it from shifting. The car has good pull away power and accelerates really good, it's just that I'm so tuned into every noise and this is my first new car in several years so I'm not used to the new features yet. Maybe with some time and mileage it will get smoother, I have to remember I'm not even through the break-in period yet.
Take your Focus for a long drive at various speeds both local and highway. Rack up another 500 miles or so. Then see how the trans responds.
I had at least 2500 miles logged on my Focus when I finally noticed how well the trans responded. Especially from stop to go.
With this trans it's helpful to practice accelerating from stopped position. The trans reacts to the pressure applied to the gas pedal.

Bookmarks & Social Networks