Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 104 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #1031
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantograph3 View Post
I had a similar issue to what ACSKURT experienced. I pulled out from my side street onto a larger street (35 mph) and the car was just stuck in the middle of the road. The engine would rev but the car wouldn't go more than 5-10 mph. While it was moving, it was bucking like crazy. I pulled off the road, put it in park then in drive to see if it would go away and it did the same thing as soon as I tried to accelerate. Luckily at slow speeds it was ok so I got it back home.

I brought it to the dealer, explained what had happened (I probably had about 1000 miles at the time). They first told me the story about how this is an "automated manual" and that the shifting is not what you'd expect from an automatic transmission. I told them this was definitely a problem. They looked at it, told me they updated it and that they couldn't duplicate the problem. Since then, it hasn't happened again.

However, I still have issues with this transmission. If I'm rolling along at say 40 mph in traffic and want to change lanes, you basically have to floor it to get it to accelerate. Meanwhile, you're stuck in the middle of the two lanes trying to get the car to move. I also feel like it struggles to accelerate from a stop. Many times (I'd say about 70% of the time), it won't shift out of 1st until it basically redlines. Other days, I have no problems with it. I have more than 5000 miles now and it has not improved.

I'm hesitant to bring it back to the dealer to perform this new "update" though.
Trust me, the update will solve most of your trans problems, however, the trans returns to day 1 learning your driving habits which it is designed to do.
I just spoke to a Ford rep. and the engineers are looking into the many reportrd trans problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #1032
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfioretti View Post
...I bought a Focus when they were just released last April. I have been struggling with the transmission issues every day. I have had it in twice to the dealership and was told that it is working as designed and is simply the way the dual clutch shifts.

In particular, I notice the shuddering when I accelerate slowly and right after it shifts to 3rd gear. It almost seems that it shifts too early and the rpm's drop causing the shudder. I can avoid the shudder if I accelerate faster when the car is in 2nd gear.

Anyway, I have had all the software updates installed and that didn't fix the issue...

The other noise that is distracting is coming from the AC. It seems that when I have the AC engaged, there is a wheezing / subtle whistling noise. This noise goes away when I turn off the AC (and just have the fan running)...
cfioretti -

I'm not pleased to read about your transmission and A/C issues. You've been in the car for a little over a year now. I want it to be like new for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsFocus View Post
I'll be taking my 2012 Focus SE back to the dealer for the second time since the 12B37 recall...
JimsFocus -

It's good to see you've had 12B37 completed. While many have seen improvements, some have reported no difference. We'll be looking into this further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmy2centsisall View Post
...The transmission slips, stalls, delays and is head jerking. I have 3500 miles on mine, mostly HWY and really it feels like itís getting worse. So many times I hit the gas and can count easily a second before the car moves. I have nearly been hit numerous times because of it. My first service at the dealer I plan on discussing with them.

Another surprise is how poor the mpg on the 2012. Iím getting 32 to 34 mpg...
justmy2centsisall -

When did you purchase your Focus? I'll be looking into all transmission feedback. When it comes to MPG, your fuel economy will get better after breaking it in more. I have a Focus SE with 3,700 miles and I'm getting around the same MPG. Please let me know how your first service goes at the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deo00 View Post
..I started to hear a slight grinding/rattling noise coming from under the car during 1st-2nd gear change. It increased in frequency whenever I drove on the freeway in stop and go traffic. I went to the dealer and dropped the car off for a couple of of days. After driving for two days, the service advisor told me that they could not recreate the issue. Immediately the next morning while driving to work, I was trying to change lanes on the freeway and a most peculiar thing happened...The car acted as if it was in neutral and would not accelerate at all. The RPM jumped to like 5000 or something...Then after a couple of days while backing out of the parking lot, it stalled. Check engine light came on. I went to the dealer, they kept the car for two weeks, performed some PCM update and the car ran fine for a couple of weeks. But it always felt underpowered like it wouldnt downshift even when I pushed the throttle very hard. The grinding noise was also there all the time. I got the 12B37 letter from ford. Dealer did it but I kept having the same issues...This is not how a new car should drive. I am really angry with the way this is being handled by Ford...Heck, they dont even acknowledge the issue...
deo00-

We're currently investigating all of the transmission issues (including 12B37 claims). Customer satisfaction and safety is of upmost importance to us. I appreciate your detailed post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEREKC View Post
The TSB's and FSA updates clear up all of the problems! If you have less than 5000 miles, keep driving to break in the transmission.
DEREKC -

This is great advice! :) If anybody hasn't "broken-in" their Focus, they should give it some time, but not too much. Some people may still be experiencing problems after services. This forum will be monitored closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACSKURT View Post
The TSB's and FSA updates do nothing but cause more and more problems, as has been proven in this forum and many others...

I've had all the updates available, and it still nearly killed me and my family.

It has 700 miles on it..
ACSKURT -

We don't want updates, service actions, recalls, etc. to be confusing and cause other problems. Safety is a top priority and we'll be proactive in finding solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell_mcg View Post
...I thought the transmission issues were just normal, but they're still annoying...I want them to fix it or give me a different car. Step up, Ford.
Mitchell_mcg -

We're stepping up to the plate and will strive to have a very high batting average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatto View Post
Go to this site.

https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...e&ord=61836939

Click on "contact us" and send them your complaint. If more Focus owners would do this Ford would be compelled to solve the problem which I believe is a glitch in the software.
ElGatto -

Appreciate the help! We're receiving feedback from all methods of contact. We'll be here to look into each request individually and collectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantograph3 View Post
...I pulled out from my side street onto a larger street (35 mph) and the car was just stuck in the middle of the road. The engine would rev but the car wouldn't go more than 5-10 mph. While it was moving, it was bucking like crazy. I pulled off the road, put it in park then in drive to see if it would go away and it did the same thing as soon as I tried to accelerate...

I brought it to the dealer, explained what had happened (I probably had about 1000 miles at the time)...They looked at it, told me they updated it and that they couldn't duplicate the problem. Since then, it hasn't happened again.

However, I still have issues with this transmission...Other days, I have no problems with it. I have more than 5000 miles now and it has not improved.

I'm hesitant to bring it back to the dealer to perform this new "update" though.
pantograph3 -

The Customer Satisfaction Program 12B37 is VIN specific. If you haven't received a letter, then it won't apply to your car. If you have, please schedule an appointment with your dealer as soon as possible. Coverage for any vehicle damage that may result from the failure to have a service action performed on a timely basis can be affected.

To all customers which have received the letter and had 12B37 completed: If you're still experiencing issues (harsh shifting, noises, gears skipping, etc.), please send me a PM with your VIN & a brief description of your issue(s). I'll properly document this and forward to our engineering rep as a group.

To all customers experiencing any other issues: I recommend visiting a dealer, if you haven't done so already. If you have and are still experiencing quality problems, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer info. I'll forward this to your region's Customer Service Manager for review.

I'm here for you guys; I'm a Focus owner as well. While I haven't experienced any issues thus far, I completely understand the safety feedback you all have posted.

Your friend at Ford,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 06-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #1033
Atomicthunk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100415
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Atomicthunk Good Standing Member
Smile Transmmison problem fixed

I had the same problem with my 2012, letter came last week for a recall, also one came for a wiper motor issue. My dealership took care of both recalls today, took about 2 hours, my transmission seems to be fine now.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:15 AM   #1034
murfmoble
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90355
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus titianum

FF Reputation: 1 murfmoble Good Standing Member
Wife and I took the 2012 on a rood trip out west,My proublem was that In cruse control when we went down hill it would down shift and rev at about 4000 rpm, took it out of cruse and couldn't get the car to upshift to just roll down the hill,This happened allmost all the time we started on a downhill grade so I just shut the cruse off everytime I went downhill,This sucks! I did get around 38mpg going at the posted 75mph and put on about 4500 miles, Going to take it in for service and 12b37 upgrade, hope it helps, Third time for a trany upgrade and they still don't have it right, almost 12000 miles on it now.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #1035
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfmoble View Post
Wife and I took the 2012 on a rood trip out west,My proublem was that In cruse control when we went down hill it would down shift and rev at about 4000 rpm, took it out of cruse and couldn't get the car to upshift to just roll down the hill,This happened allmost all the time we started on a downhill grade so I just shut the cruse off everytime I went downhill,This sucks! I did get around 38mpg going at the posted 75mph and put on about 4500 miles, Going to take it in for service and 12b37 upgrade, hope it helps, Third time for a trany upgrade and they still don't have it right, almost 12000 miles on it now.
That's odd. Did you have the tranny in "S" and not "D"? Good luck!

Last edited by r1derbike; 06-22-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #1036
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

It's been about 1000 miles since the latest upgrade and I am happy to report my trans is functioning normally. I hope this is a good sign. I'll report back after another 1000 miles or so.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #1037
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
Are the Feds looking into the steering problem. Just saw this article: "Feds probe Ford Explorer power steering problems" + "Federal safety regulators investigate power steering failure complaints in 2011 Ford Explorers".

The article mention that there have been "15" complaints. Maybe when they find this problem the fix will flow over to other models too.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/feds-p...133132446.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If the above link goes bad - the rest of the story:

DETROIT (AP) -- Federal safety regulators are investigating complaints that the power steering can fail on 2011 Ford Explorer SUVs.

Fifteen drivers have complained that the popular Explorer can suddenly lose its power steering assist, making it harder to steer the SUVs.

The problem could affect 83,000 Explorers. No crashes or injuries have been reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which announced the probe on its website Friday.

In some cases, drivers reported that a warning message appeared on the instrument panel before the power steering quit. At times, restarting the SUVs corrected the problem, several drivers reported.

An investigation could lead to a recall. NHTSA said it is looking into how often the problem happens and what's causing it.

Ford is cooperating with NHTSA in the probe. Anyone who has a concern about their vehicle should contact their dealer, company spokeswoman Marcey Zwiebel said.

The Explorer, once a hulking family-hauler that helped launch the truck-based SUV boom in the early 1990s, was redesigned for the 2011 model year. The new version is based on car rather than truck underpinnings and is more efficient and maneuverable than the old one.

The new vehicle started arriving at dealers late in 2010. The company sold more than 135,000 Explorers in 2011.

Ford shares edged up 3 cents to $10.30 in morning trading Friday. They are down 20 percent from $12.90 in mid-March.
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #1038
murfmoble
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90355
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus titianum

FF Reputation: 1 murfmoble Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
That's odd. Did you have the tranny in "S" and not "D"? Good luck!
Of course I had it in drive instead of standard shift mode!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #1039
DurdySE
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92855
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver 5dr SE

FF Reputation: 1 DurdySE Good Standing Member
Put the beast in the shop today for 12b37. Hopefully, mpg will improve slightly (never gotten better than 33mpg, even on a 600 mile, all highway round trip last weekend), no more rolling backwards at stop lights, and no more hesitation/retarded lag time for downshifts! Fingers crossed... these problems have been here for all 10,000 miles!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #1040
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Just a quick note: Since the upgrade I notice the trans shifts from 1st to 3rd before i hit 20 MPH. It doesn't bother me, but, is this considered normal?

Bookmarks & Social Networks