Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 103 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #1021
deo00
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97269
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 deo00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Grinding noise and less power/delayed downshifts

Hi there. My first post here. I bought a new SE Hatchback with sport package and sync in January. I was very happy with my car except for some quirks in the transmission like a slight throttle delay and car almost stalling in reverse gear a few times initially. But, I had learnt to live with that and I was ok with it until I hit 2000 miles. I started to hear a slight grinding/rattling noise coming from under the car during 1st-2nd gear change. It increased in frequency whenever I drove on the freeway in stop and go traffic. I went to the dealer and dropped the car off for a couple of of days. After driving for two days, the service advisor told me that they could not recreate the issue. Immediately the next morning while driving to work, I was trying to change lanes on the freeway and a most peculiar thing happened that scared the s#*t out of me. The car acted as if it was in neutral and would not accelerate at all. The RPM jumped to like 5000 or something. I was driving in S mode, I immediately shifted to D and the car gained speed again. This happened while I was changing lanes on freeway. The car behind me almost hit me. (This has happened a few time after that as well.) Then after a couple of days while backing out of the parking lot, it stalled. Check engine light came on. I went to the dealer, they kept the car for two weeks, performed some PCM update and the car ran fine for a couple of weeks. But it always felt underpowered like it wouldnt downshift even when I pushed the throttle very hard. The grinding noise was also there all the time. I got the 12B37 letter from ford. Dealer did it but I kept having the same issues. I went to the dealership again. The trans tech handed me a printout from ford that the grinding noise is normal and the service manager drove the car only to tell me that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the car and it drove like a charm. That is not what I feel. The main issues with car are the grinding noise and delayed downshift/erratic shifts. This is not how a new car should drive. I am really angry with the way this is being handled by Ford. I want to get rid of this car because I know ford doesnt want to fix it. Heck, they dont even acknowledge the issue. I regret I spent my hard earned money on this piece of junk. I would have been better of buying a Toyota.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #1022
ACSKURT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100399
What I Drive: 2012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ACSKURT Good Standing Member
Auto tranny is an accident going to happen.

I bought my 2012 Ford Focus SE April 16 2012. I was told it had an "automatic" transmission. At 500 miles I had to take it in for the following:
1) Seat frame cutting into hip.
2) Spasdic transmission shifting.
3) Rough idle
4) Rough accelerating
5) Rolls backward at stop

The next day the dealer called me up and said "everythings fine now" so I went to pick the car up.

They told me the following at the service desk:
On #1, they don't care
On #'s 2-3-4-5, they did an "update" that fixed it all.

Off I went in my $20,000 car.

At 700 miles I took it in again for the following:
1) AC will not blow below 55 degrees
2) Acceleration and idle is unpredictable and rough.

Next day they called me and said "everythings fine now" so I went to pick up the car.

They told me the following at the service desk:
1) They evacuated the AC system and refilled. Now it blows 50 degrees....
2) I was told this was NOT an automatic transmission, but a manual transmission that was shifted by a computor that had to "learn and adapt" to my driving habits, so it would eventually work out the "kinks".

I told the head tech "there are three people that drive this car". He told me "that will only confuse the computer then" but it all should work itself out within a few thousand miles anyway.

Off I went in my $20,000 car.

Pulled out into traffic June 5th from my house to a traffic flow of 35 MPH. My $20,000 new car went through 3 gears within 10 feet and then refused to accelerate. I was almost hit by at least three cars, which had to slam on their brakes and swerve to avoid a colloision.

That sorta upset me.

I took my $20,000 car back to Ford service in Coeur d'Alene and told them it had just almost got me killed. I gave him the keys and told them to keep the death-trap.

Lake City Ford has had the car sine June 5. Yesterday, the head tech in service there called me and said "I just drove your car and it runs beautifully and we can't duplicate any of your problems."

As if he'd say anything else.

I asked him if he'd ever been in an accident. Yes, he said. I asked him how many seconds did it take to happen. He said a split second.

I told him my, and my family's lives are worth a hell of a lot more than that $20,000 car that had almost got us killed in a split second.

Lake City Ford has been ignoring me since June 5. The salesman that sold me the Focus has quit over many similar complaints from his past customers. The owner of Lake City Ford is trying to pretend I'm just "another complainer" and I'll soon just go away.

This exact transmission problem is well known by Ford and is all over the internet. So far, Ford is doing exactly what Lake City Ford is doing: ignoring it and maybe it'll just go away.

I've offered to trade the car for a manual transmission version, but to no avail. I refuse to pick up the worthless $20,000 car from them, as it is a death trap.

I'm being more than resoanable. I've asked Lake City Ford to handle this in-house and make me happy. Apparently, they don't care.

If this isn't handled to my satisfaction, not only will they be keeping my $20,000 worthless 700 miles-on-it car (which I'll just write of my taxes as "business loss"), but I will file a Lemon Law claim here in Idaho.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #1023
DEREKC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
The TSB's and FSA updates clear up all of the problems! If you have less than 5000 miles, keep driving to break in the transmission.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #1024
deo00
Focus Rookie

@ACSKURT - Exactly what I feel. But, I cannot keep the car with the dealer. I do not have another car or money to buy another one. I am wondering how much will I get if I try to trade it in. Any suggestions anyone? Has anybody traded in a 2012 focus recently? I have almost 5K miles on mine. I am worried that dealers know the issues with the car and will give a ridiculously low trade in value for this car. I feel like a fool.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #1025
ACSKURT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100399

FF Reputation: 1 ACSKURT Good Standing Member
They don't fix it

The TSB's and FSA updates do nothing but cause more and more problems, as has been proven in this forum and many others.

This (so called) "automatic transmission" is nothing more than Ford deciding we aren't smart enough to shift for ourselves, hence the computer does it.

I've had all the updates available, and it still nearly killed me and my family.

It has 700 miles on it - now would be the best time for Ford to take it back.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #1026
deo00
Focus Rookie

DEREKC - I am on 5K miles. No solutions. The car drives worse that my old 1995 Geo Prizm.
ACSKURT - Do not wait around till 5000 miles like I did to find out the hard way. I've been monitoring these forums and I have seen people on 10000 miles having same/worse issues.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #1027
Mitchell_mcg
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100412

FF Reputation: 1 Mitchell_mcg Good Standing Member
Same

I've had my 2012 Focus since December 2011. I thought the transmission issues were just normal, but they're still annoying. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has these problems. I want them to fix it or give me a different car. Step up, Ford.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #1028
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell_mcg View Post
I've had my 2012 Focus since December 2011. I thought the transmission issues were just normal, but they're still annoying. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has these problems. I want them to fix it or give me a different car. Step up, Ford.
Go to this site.

https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...e&ord=61836939

Click on "contact us" and send them your complaint. If more Focus owners would do this Ford would be compelled to solve the problem which I believe is a glitch in the software.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #1029
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell_mcg View Post
Go to this site.

https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...e&ord=61836939

Click on "contact us" and send them your complaint. If more Focus owners would do this Ford would be compelled to solve the problem which I believe is a glitch in the software.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #1030
pantograph3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100435
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 pantograph3 Good Standing Member
I had a similar issue to what ACSKURT experienced. I pulled out from my side street onto a larger street (35 mph) and the car was just stuck in the middle of the road. The engine would rev but the car wouldn't go more than 5-10 mph. While it was moving, it was bucking like crazy. I pulled off the road, put it in park then in drive to see if it would go away and it did the same thing as soon as I tried to accelerate. Luckily at slow speeds it was ok so I got it back home.

I brought it to the dealer, explained what had happened (I probably had about 1000 miles at the time). They first told me the story about how this is an "automated manual" and that the shifting is not what you'd expect from an automatic transmission. I told them this was definitely a problem. They looked at it, told me they updated it and that they couldn't duplicate the problem. Since then, it hasn't happened again.

However, I still have issues with this transmission. If I'm rolling along at say 40 mph in traffic and want to change lanes, you basically have to floor it to get it to accelerate. Meanwhile, you're stuck in the middle of the two lanes trying to get the car to move. I also feel like it struggles to accelerate from a stop. Many times (I'd say about 70% of the time), it won't shift out of 1st until it basically redlines. Other days, I have no problems with it. I have more than 5000 miles now and it has not improved.

I'm hesitant to bring it back to the dealer to perform this new "update" though.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->