2012 Ford Focus SEL - Major Electrical Issues - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
jgerrits
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 154490
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL - Pearl White

FF Reputation: 1 jgerrits Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Ford Focus SEL - Major Electrical Issues

Posting here to get advice, and give the full story on my 2012 Ford Focus SEL

114123 km's, mostly highway
Service to date:
Dealership sync system service
Sync module upgrade/update
Sync system reset
Replaced front right wheel bearing
Replaced ABS sensor
Replaced Altenator

Strange occurrences
1. Car wont shut off periodically, electrical systems, including stereo keep running for 30 mins after key is out.
2. Intense loud banging sounds from speakers, continuing for minutes after removing the key and getting out of the car. (thought it was going to blow all the speakers)
3. Stereo randomly shutting off
4. GPS randomly not working

Any time I went in, they said there were no codes, and the problems weren't anything that could be fixed.

Now the vehicle is randomly losing the ability to rev the engine and will not shifting or engage a gear. This left me stranded on the highway once, and mid traffic in downtown Toronto once. The dealership I took it to decided to replace the alternator (for over $500). I picked up the car in good faith that their fix was the right one, being a ford service center... and again, about 30 minutes later, was stuck on the side of the road with the same issue... this time requiring a tow. Included a video below (foot is on the gas, I try a few gears, neutral/park/drive... all with the same result)

http://youtu.be/6Q4RIu1DS74

The dealership I have the car at now... after having it towed back, is telling me they cannot diagnose further without installing a new $500 control module. But they won't even promise that will even fix the issue. (after installing a $500 alternator that did not fix the issue, and left me stranded again)

Does anyone out there in ford land have any idea what I should do at this point? I want to love this car, however it's gave me nothing but issues and stress... something I hoped to avoid by buying a new vehicle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
sailor
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 12,034, Level 71
Points: 12,034, Level: 71 Points: 12,034, Level: 71 Points: 12,034, Level: 71
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
This link will help, Ford US rep can give Canadian rep. info. if you don't see it in the thread:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271380

You've got a list of issues that have been seen before, Stereo is one I've noticed a TSB on for example. Transmission may be on extended warranty - something to check into.

Alternator MIGHT have been related (seen some replaced) but guessing at fixes isn't getting you anywhere (like the module replacement).

I'll move this to the TSB & Problems section for the MkIII models, where you can find reports of similar issues.

Hook Up with Ford Canada Rep. for sure - you need some assistance getting this fixed right - another Dealer might be needed who has a better "clue" - though you may be stuck where it is for now 'till you get some help.

Luck

S.R. #275
Old 04-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,948, Level 33
Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerrits View Post

Service to date:
Sync system reset
Replaced ABS sensor
Replaced Altenator

Strange occurrences
1. Car wont shut off periodically, electrical systems, including stereo keep running for 30 mins after key is out.
2. Intense loud banging sounds from speakers, continuing for minutes after removing the key and getting out of the car. (thought it was going to blow all the speakers)

Any time I went in, they said there were no codes, and the problems weren't anything that could be fixed.

Now the vehicle is randomly losing the ability to rev the engine and will not shifting or engage a gear. This left me stranded on the highway once, and mid traffic in downtown Toronto once. The dealership I took it to decided to replace the alternator (for over $500). I picked up the car in good faith that their fix was the right one, being a ford service center... and again, about 30 minutes later, was stuck on the side of the road with the same issue... this time requiring a tow. Included a video below (foot is on the gas, I try a few gears, neutral/park/drive... all with the same result)

The dealership I have the car at now... after having it towed back, is telling me they cannot diagnose further without installing a new $500 control module. But they won't even promise that will even fix the issue. (after installing a $500 alternator that did not fix the issue, and left me stranded again)

Does anyone out there in ford land have any idea what I should do at this point? I want to love this car, however it's gave me nothing but issues and stress... something I hoped to avoid by buying a new vehicle.
Do you have the latest version of MFT? I haven't had any issues like this for the past 2 updates. Go to SyncMyRide.com and see what version you have. You should be at least v3.6.2.
There's a TSB (13-4-14) for this to reprogram the Digital Signal Processor Module.
Most likely related to MFT (see #1)
Could be related to #1. If you're having issues with your car not appearing on the street you're actually driving on, there's a TSB for that too. (14-0037)

As for the car not going into gear properly, etc. That's pretty crazy, maybe a loose ground to the transmission control module? (G104) that's under the air filter.

Have you tried starting your car in test mode to check for diagnostic troubleshooting codes? Hold down the OK button on your steering wheel for a few seconds before turning the car on, continue to hold the OK button until the dash screen shows "TEST" or "TEST MODE" or whatever. Then scroll left or right until you get to the DTC screen. If there are any, your dealership should be using those to diagnose problems. I would assume you would have something like P850_62 or U0101_00 since your shifter input obviously isn't matching your transmission.

My recommendation: Find a better service department that knows what they're actually doing.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
jgerrits
Focus Rookie

Thank you both so much for the prompt helpful replies. Gives me at least a little to go on. After the "control module" is replaced, this car will have cost me over $2000 in out of warranty/non regular wear expenses, at least two tows, and countless hours stuck on the phone or in person at the dealership trying to get to the bottom of things.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,948, Level 33
Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
That's really too bad - I also seem to be having a fair share of issues after the base and powertrain warranties ended. Luckily, I opted for the 125k mile extended warranty ($1315) which is working out in my favor.

EDIT: Also, did you already give them the OK to replace that module? I'm not even convinced it's necessary and that would be a lot of money to spend on something that doesn't fix the problems you're having.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
jgerrits
Focus Rookie

I gave the ok this morning, as I need to be able to get to/from work as soon as possible. I figured given the nature of the problem, a ford dealership service center would have the most up to date expertise/skills to carry out the repairs.

I'm quickly learning that this is NOT the case.

I already feel like I've wasted money on replacing the alternator, for the same reason you describe above. They were willing to put the old one back in, but were going to charge me the labor still... and I have no way to know if the alternator started/caused the issues in the first place. Pretty much at their mercy here
Old 04-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 116356
What I Drive: 1908, Black, Model T

Points 79, Level 1
Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 FordServiceCA Good Standing Member
Quote:

Service to date:
Sync system reset
Replaced ABS sensor
Replaced Altenator

Strange occurrences

Hi jgerrits,

I'd like to document your feedback in my system for Ford to internally review. :) Please PM me your VIN, full name, and best daytime phone number so I can get to work.

In the meantime, I encourage you to continue working with your dealer toward a resolution; they are in the best position to assist.

Bianca

p: 800.565.FORD
t: @FordServiceCA @FordFocus @FordCanada
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/FordCanada
Old 04-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
opies
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109709
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

Points 398, Level 7
Points: 398, Level: 7 Points: 398, Level: 7 Points: 398, Level: 7
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 opies Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
I gave the ok this morning, as I need to be able to get to/from work as soon as possible. I figured given the nature of the problem, a ford dealership service center would have the most up to date expertise/skills to carry out the repairs.

I'm quickly learning that this is NOT the case.

I already feel like I've wasted money on replacing the alternator, for the same reason you describe above. They were willing to put the old one back in, but were going to charge me the labor still... and I have no way to know if the alternator started/caused the issues in the first place. Pretty much at their mercy here
Thats BS. You already paid them to diagnose the problem. They misdiagnosed it AND charged you for the new part...... If they are going to throw darts at the wall, they should at least keep the car long enough to determine if they hit the bulls eye. Not release the vehicle back to you with new parts that you paid for that were unnecessary.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #9
jgerrits
Focus Rookie

That was my thought, and coincidentally why I decided to come around and look for some more help on this issue. Hoping that with Ford Canada's involvement something will be done that results in me driving away happily into the sunset (and not being stuck on a freeway or in rush hour again)

Again, thanks everyone for the guidance and support. It's really appreciated.

p.s. Another worthy mention, while the service manager said he would put the alternator back in: he also said if he did so, he would not go forward with the "control module" repair, and would release the vehicle back to me as is and I could take the car elsewhere.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
jgerrits
Focus Rookie

Update on everything:

The service department came through with a solution, and everything seems back to normal. Alternator was comped back, and a new AE8Z-7Z369-D transmission control module was installed. Total cost to repair was ~$1040 CAN

Some clunking again as is expected with this transmission style and a new control module. Guessing this will go away as well, as it did before.

Happy to be back driving the Focus again, and hopefully not in/out of the dealership every other day any longer :D

Thanks again for all the help forum-goers and Ford service Canada.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.