2012 Focus Hitch is available - Page 14 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #131
TiPilot
Focus Addict
 
TiPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93667
Location: Dayton, OH
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

Posts: 647
FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just ordered the Draw-Tite last night myself... looking forward to being able to use a bike rack soon!
__________________
2012 Focus Ti Hatch | Ingot Silver | 401A, Nav, Winter Pkg, Moon Roof, Parking Tech. Pkg

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
TiPilot is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #132
mtnbkr
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Fan#: 116275
Location: Manassas, VA
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatchback 5sp

Posts: 44
FF Reputation: 1 mtnbkr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just installed the Hidden Hitch from etrailer.com (great service, btw).

The hitch installed fine, but I am concerned that if I ever have to remove the hitch, the bolts that were fished through the frame will be lost and will rattle around for eternity.

I thought about using some Great Stuff foam sprayed through the access port to "capture" the bolt in place, allowing you to remove the hitch without losing the bolt. Has anyone done something like this?

Chris
mtnbkr is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #133
Texaswiley
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Fan#: 110693
Location: lake Havasu City, AZ
What I Drive: 2013, Ruby Red Titanium hatchback

Posts: 34
FF Reputation: 1 Texaswiley Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
I just installed the Hidden Hitch from etrailer.com (great service, btw).

The hitch installed fine, but I am concerned that if I ever have to remove the hitch, the bolts that were fished through the frame will be lost and will rattle around for eternity.

I thought about using some Great Stuff foam sprayed through the access port to "capture" the bolt in place, allowing you to remove the hitch without losing the bolt. Has anyone done something like this?

Chris
Put a nut and washer on them, then they are there to reuse if you want to. Also you might create a rust issue by blocking off the cavity.

Last edited by Texaswiley; 07-21-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: addition
Texaswiley is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #134
mtnbkr
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Fan#: 116275
Location: Manassas, VA
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatchback 5sp

Posts: 44
FF Reputation: 1 mtnbkr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaswiley View Post
Put a nut and washer on them, then they are there to reuse if you want to. Also you might create a rust issue by blocking off the cavity.
First you have to get the hitch off without the bolt slipping back into the frame. That's my concern.

Actually, it just occured to me that if I captured the bolt with foam, I couldn't push it back to release the hitch. I should probably just keep the fishing wire in the trunk "just in case".

Anyway, just a thought. I've never had to remove a hitch from my vehicles, even the ones that were rear-ended.

Chris
mtnbkr is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #135
Texaswiley
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Fan#: 110693
Location: lake Havasu City, AZ
What I Drive: 2013, Ruby Red Titanium hatchback

Posts: 34
FF Reputation: 1 Texaswiley Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
First you have to get the hitch off without the bolt slipping back into the frame. That's my concern.

Actually, it just occured to me that if I captured the bolt with foam, I couldn't push it back to release the hitch. I should probably just keep the fishing wire in the trunk "just in case".

Anyway, just a thought. I've never had to remove a hitch from my vehicles, even the ones that were rear-ended.

Chris
I guess at least two of your bolts go in the sides. My hitch is a Curt and all 4 bolts go in from the bottom so it's easy to do.
Texaswiley is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #136
TiPilot
Focus Addict
 
TiPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93667
Location: Dayton, OH
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

Posts: 647
FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Installed my Draw-Tite tonight... well, almost.

After getting 5 of 6 carriage bolts installed (including fishing the first horizontally-installed one through the frame) it became obvious one side mount is bent. It slid in and looked ok before I started but once everything was tightened it's quite clearly bowed about 1/4" on the passenger side. Main problem is the bow means the opening to slide the final carriage bolt into is way too small since it's misaligned.

I emailed Draw-Tite so I'll see what they come back with. The box wasn't exactly a demonstration of good packaging (literally a tiny bit of paper and the hitch banging around in a giant box) and it looked a bit rough when the UPS man delivered it. On the other hand, being a heavy hitch, I figured a ride in a UPS truck shouldn't cause any serious damage. Bad assumption, apparently.

Don't really want to remove it though either since it'll probably result in losing the spacer/carriage bolt inside the frame.

Shipping/damage issue aside, it seems like a very sturdy hitch. And I love how well it hides away under the rear bumper.
__________________
2012 Focus Ti Hatch | Ingot Silver | 401A, Nav, Winter Pkg, Moon Roof, Parking Tech. Pkg

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
TiPilot is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #137
Rogerschro
Focus Addict
 
Rogerschro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90661
Location: Bellbrook, OH
What I Drive: '12 frosted glass SEL '67 Gal vert.

Posts: 761
FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you bond a magnet to a wire you should be able to get it to capture the bolt. run the wire through like you did for the install but as it goes through it will attract the bolt and pull it along.
Rogerschro is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #138
TiPilot
Focus Addict
 
TiPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93667
Location: Dayton, OH
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

Posts: 647
FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPilot View Post
Installed my Draw-Tite tonight... well, almost.

After getting 5 of 6 carriage bolts installed (including fishing the first horizontally-installed one through the frame) it became obvious one side mount is bent. It slid in and looked ok before I started but once everything was tightened it's quite clearly bowed about 1/4" on the passenger side. Main problem is the bow means the opening to slide the final carriage bolt into is way too small since it's misaligned.

I emailed Draw-Tite so I'll see what they come back with. The box wasn't exactly a demonstration of good packaging (literally a tiny bit of paper and the hitch banging around in a giant box) and it looked a bit rough when the UPS man delivered it. On the other hand, being a heavy hitch, I figured a ride in a UPS truck shouldn't cause any serious damage. Bad assumption, apparently.

Don't really want to remove it though either since it'll probably result in losing the spacer/carriage bolt inside the frame.

Shipping/damage issue aside, it seems like a very sturdy hitch. And I love how well it hides away under the rear bumper.
Update - received a new one from the manufacturer. Removed the slightly bent one and installed the replacement yesterday. Fits perfectly and appears to be sturdy as hell. It ain't going anywhere.

On a related note, they don't want the old one back. The only thing wrong is that the one edge of the mount is slightly bent. If someone had the right tools (I don't have a good vice clamp) it would be easy to bend it back into shape. Anyone here think I'd be able to sell it for a couple bucks?
__________________
2012 Focus Ti Hatch | Ingot Silver | 401A, Nav, Winter Pkg, Moon Roof, Parking Tech. Pkg

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
TiPilot is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #139
burrpenick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 114141
Location: various, United States
What I Drive: Focus Hatch

Posts: 41
FF Reputation: 1 burrpenick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
hitch

Sent you a private message.......burrpenick
burrpenick is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #140
TorkliftCentral
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Fan#: 120013
Location: Kent, WA
What I Drive: 2013 black Ford Focus

Posts: 2
FF Reputation: 1 TorkliftCentral Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
For anyone interested, Torklift Central has manufactured a hitch specifically for the 2012-2014 Ford Focus Electric Vehicle.

No drilling to the frame and is completely hidden behind the bumper.

Available in 1.25 and 2 inch receivers.
http://torkliftcentral.com/ecohitch/...itch_focus.php
TorkliftCentral is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.