2012 Focus Hitch is available - Page 14 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #131
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just ordered the Draw-Tite last night myself... looking forward to being able to use a bike rack soon!

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #132
mtnbkr
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116275
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatchback 5sp

FF Reputation: 1 mtnbkr Good Standing Member
I just installed the Hidden Hitch from etrailer.com (great service, btw).

The hitch installed fine, but I am concerned that if I ever have to remove the hitch, the bolts that were fished through the frame will be lost and will rattle around for eternity.

I thought about using some Great Stuff foam sprayed through the access port to "capture" the bolt in place, allowing you to remove the hitch without losing the bolt. Has anyone done something like this?

Chris
Old 07-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #133
Texaswiley
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110693
What I Drive: 2013, Ruby Red Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Texaswiley Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
I just installed the Hidden Hitch from etrailer.com (great service, btw).

The hitch installed fine, but I am concerned that if I ever have to remove the hitch, the bolts that were fished through the frame will be lost and will rattle around for eternity.

I thought about using some Great Stuff foam sprayed through the access port to "capture" the bolt in place, allowing you to remove the hitch without losing the bolt. Has anyone done something like this?

Chris
Put a nut and washer on them, then they are there to reuse if you want to. Also you might create a rust issue by blocking off the cavity.

Last edited by Texaswiley; 07-21-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: addition
Old 07-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #134
mtnbkr
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116275
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatchback 5sp

FF Reputation: 1 mtnbkr Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaswiley View Post
Put a nut and washer on them, then they are there to reuse if you want to. Also you might create a rust issue by blocking off the cavity.
First you have to get the hitch off without the bolt slipping back into the frame. That's my concern.

Actually, it just occured to me that if I captured the bolt with foam, I couldn't push it back to release the hitch. I should probably just keep the fishing wire in the trunk "just in case".

Anyway, just a thought. I've never had to remove a hitch from my vehicles, even the ones that were rear-ended.

Chris
Old 08-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #135
Texaswiley
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110693
What I Drive: 2013, Ruby Red Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Texaswiley Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
First you have to get the hitch off without the bolt slipping back into the frame. That's my concern.

Actually, it just occured to me that if I captured the bolt with foam, I couldn't push it back to release the hitch. I should probably just keep the fishing wire in the trunk "just in case".

Anyway, just a thought. I've never had to remove a hitch from my vehicles, even the ones that were rear-ended.

Chris
I guess at least two of your bolts go in the sides. My hitch is a Curt and all 4 bolts go in from the bottom so it's easy to do.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #136
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Installed my Draw-Tite tonight... well, almost.

After getting 5 of 6 carriage bolts installed (including fishing the first horizontally-installed one through the frame) it became obvious one side mount is bent. It slid in and looked ok before I started but once everything was tightened it's quite clearly bowed about 1/4" on the passenger side. Main problem is the bow means the opening to slide the final carriage bolt into is way too small since it's misaligned.

I emailed Draw-Tite so I'll see what they come back with. The box wasn't exactly a demonstration of good packaging (literally a tiny bit of paper and the hitch banging around in a giant box) and it looked a bit rough when the UPS man delivered it. On the other hand, being a heavy hitch, I figured a ride in a UPS truck shouldn't cause any serious damage. Bad assumption, apparently.

Don't really want to remove it though either since it'll probably result in losing the spacer/carriage bolt inside the frame.

Shipping/damage issue aside, it seems like a very sturdy hitch. And I love how well it hides away under the rear bumper.

MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 08-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #137
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 frosted glass SEL '67 Gal vert.

FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
If you bond a magnet to a wire you should be able to get it to capture the bolt. run the wire through like you did for the install but as it goes through it will attract the bolt and pull it along.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #138
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPilot View Post
Installed my Draw-Tite tonight... well, almost.

After getting 5 of 6 carriage bolts installed (including fishing the first horizontally-installed one through the frame) it became obvious one side mount is bent. It slid in and looked ok before I started but once everything was tightened it's quite clearly bowed about 1/4" on the passenger side. Main problem is the bow means the opening to slide the final carriage bolt into is way too small since it's misaligned.

I emailed Draw-Tite so I'll see what they come back with. The box wasn't exactly a demonstration of good packaging (literally a tiny bit of paper and the hitch banging around in a giant box) and it looked a bit rough when the UPS man delivered it. On the other hand, being a heavy hitch, I figured a ride in a UPS truck shouldn't cause any serious damage. Bad assumption, apparently.

Don't really want to remove it though either since it'll probably result in losing the spacer/carriage bolt inside the frame.

Shipping/damage issue aside, it seems like a very sturdy hitch. And I love how well it hides away under the rear bumper.
Update - received a new one from the manufacturer. Removed the slightly bent one and installed the replacement yesterday. Fits perfectly and appears to be sturdy as hell. It ain't going anywhere.

On a related note, they don't want the old one back. The only thing wrong is that the one edge of the mount is slightly bent. If someone had the right tools (I don't have a good vice clamp) it would be easy to bend it back into shape. Anyone here think I'd be able to sell it for a couple bucks?

Old 08-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #139
burrpenick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 114141
What I Drive: Focus Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 burrpenick Good Standing Member
hitch

Sent you a private message.......burrpenick
Old 10-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #140
TorkliftCentral
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 120013
What I Drive: 2013 black Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 TorkliftCentral Good Standing Member
For anyone interested, Torklift Central has manufactured a hitch specifically for the 2012-2014 Ford Focus Electric Vehicle.

No drilling to the frame and is completely hidden behind the bumper.

Available in 1.25 and 2 inch receivers.
http://torkliftcentral.com/ecohitch/...itch_focus.php

Bookmarks & Social Networks