Focus Cold Start and Idle Question. Video. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #1
Ox-y-GenIII
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90008
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 Ox-y-GenIII Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus Cold Start and Idle Question. Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa0aQ...e_gdata_player

So any time its around 0* or colder when I start my Focus it idles at 1,500-1,600 rpms. It'll stay there even after coming to temp. I can idle at that rpm for 25 minutes if I want to. Normal rpms are ~850. And when starting the car under normal temperatures it will idle high for about 30-45 seconds and then go down to 850.

So my question is why does it idles so high for so long? It will only idle down to 850 in these subzero temps if I out the car in drive or tap the gas once and that's even after the car is showing its warm.

I hate the cold. Ugh. Need to move out of MN.

2012 Oxford White Focus Hatchback
Dyno #'s 164.35 HP 147.12 TQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 01:09 AM   #2
Ox-y-GenIII
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90008
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 Ox-y-GenIII Good Standing Member
Just seen the other winter thread, my car doesn't have any issues staying warm or blowing hot heat. I just wanted to know about the idle specifically.

2012 Oxford White Focus Hatchback
Dyno #'s 164.35 HP 147.12 TQ
Old 01-07-2014, 01:18 AM   #3
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 9 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It might be some small programming issue with the computer, or it could be the ECM just making sure the car is properly warmed up before dropping revs. When it's REALLY cold my engine takes FOREVER to warm up...especially if the climate control is on. I mean, I can go drive around for a half hour and still be 10* under operating temp.

Also, the gauge evens out when the car hits about 40-50*C. Running temp is 90*C, so just because the gauge says it's warm doesn't mean it actually is.

ETA - also, if the AC compressor is on (defroster...) then that could also trigger the ECM to keep RPMs up until the engine reaches proper operating temp, in an effort to avoid putting undue stress on the cold engine.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 01-07-2014, 03:30 AM   #4
TehMark
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87530
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 TehMark Good Standing Member
mine idles high and squeaks as well. -10 mornings will do that I suppose
Old 01-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
c5karl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105687
What I Drive: 2013 Hatchback SE, 5-speed, silver

FF Reputation: 1 c5karl Good Standing Member
I just noticed this today when the temperature in Virginia dropped to 3 degrees.

My guess is that at those low ambient temperatures, an idling engine doesn't generate enough heat to get up to normal operating temperature.

I started my car about 5 minutes before I began my commute today. Revs, like you said, were pegged at about 1,500 rpms when I got back in my car to begin my drive. HVAC was still blowing cold air, too, which means the coolant wasn't hot enough for the thermostat to open.

After driving about a half mile, though, revs dropped to a normal level the first time I stopped at a traffic light.

Remember that the temperature gauge on the dash is more like an idiot light than a true gauge. You probably need to drive around a bit for the engine to fully warm up.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
joshuafail
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115261
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver SE w/MFT

FF Reputation: 8 joshuafail Good Standing Member
It's been cold as hell here in Misery (Missouri) lately. I've noticed that mine idles higher as well- all of my cars have, come to think of it. I'd think it's to meet emission standards- the catalytic converter really only works once it comes to its idea temperature (between 1,200 to 1,600*F). Any time before that, the car is pretty much spitting out emissions, and I would image there's guidelines set by the government on how long a cold vehicle can emit pollutants.

Idling the car at a higher RPM for an extended time in extremely cold weather would bring all the whirly bits up to temp faster, and warm the catalytic converter enough for it to start operating properly, making the car then meet the more stringent emission standards.

If it makes you feel any better, when I've started my car when it's this cold out, it has idled about that high for a while. I leave it be while I get ready for work, and by the time I get back in it to leave (about 10-15mins later), it's idling at normal speed and it's pretty toasty inside. It's operating normally, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
OhFFS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114209
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 OhFFS Good Standing Member
I'm a bit south of you, OP. I dont' remember seeing anything odd over the past few days, but I'll keep an eye out today. If I had to bet, I'd say mine idles down to ~800rpm after a couple of minutes, even at -20F.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
IngotFoFo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108099
What I Drive: 2014 ingot silver sedan SE DCT

FF Reputation: 1 IngotFoFo Good Standing Member
I feel like my car does this or something similar everytme I start it when its cold out
Old 01-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
The temps we've had have obviously been far below average and quite unusual for most places. My idle will stay high too until I start driving. I don't generally let my car sit an idle to warm up for more than a minute or so. I drive it nice and easy. It's more efficient. I've also had an awful whistling noise on start up a couple days over the past week. This morning while I was sitting in my car for a minute before driving my idle briefly surged about 500 rpms. I'm just writing this all off as the extreme weather being the cause. If it had had problems starting I'd be a little more concerned, but even with the negative temperatures we've had she's fired right up every time. Not even sluggish on the turnover.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 01-10-2014, 07:00 AM   #10
ProjectReefBlue
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106470
What I Drive: 2013, Black, SE Plus

FF Reputation: 0 ProjectReefBlue Newbie
Its a cold start high idle. Perfectly normal nothing to be concerned about. Helps build heat in cold temperatures. I am impressed how quickly the car warms up in cold weather relative to other vehicles I have owned.

Bookmarks & Social Networks