subs shut off while driving?!?! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-30-2004, 12:28 PM   #1
cfire39275
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 471
What I Drive: 03' Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 cfire39275 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
subs shut off while driving?!?!

I just put 2 subs into my car, and everything was working fine. but now, while im driving, they just stop working. when i hooked it up, i wired the remote wire to a switch. when the amp is on and the radio is off, it acts like a microphone and amplifys any sound the car takes on. i was told it was a bad ground, which i havent gotten around to fixing(it really wasnt that big of a deal to me).

i was wondering if anyone had any input on the question. if you need any more info, or pics of the install, just let me know. thanks in advanced for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2004, 12:45 PM   #2
lildisco
RespectMyAuthoritah!

Fan#: 5761
What I Drive: 06 Mazda6i, 08 Mazda CX7 GT AWD

FF Reputation: 47 lildisco Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
try bi-passing the switch and see if that works. Maybe the remote wire is grounding out. Also make sure that all of your connections are tight and that you didn't blow a fuse. I blew my remote wire fuse behind the deck and i didn't know it. But does your amp turn on at all? Could possibly be a blown amp, but i doubt if it's new, but if it is new take it back to the shop and see what's going on. But when you're driving you're getting the sound of the alternator whinning, sounds like maybe you're RCA are too close to electrical lines that led back to the alt. Hope this helps, let me know what ya find.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:51 PM   #3
cfire39275
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

the remote wire is fine. the subs and amp work fine when the car is off or sitting in the driveway. just sometimeswhile i am driving it shuts off. its hard to check it out, because usually when it isnt working, the car is in motion. but when i have had a chance, the sub light was still on, but no sound from the speakers.

also, the remote wire turns on the lights in my sub box, and the lights are also lit when the amp is lit and no sound comming out of the subs.

hopes this helps clarify.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:12 PM   #4
lildisco
RespectMyAuthoritah!

Sounds like you got something touching somewhere. Maybe take the light out for your subs and but that onto a different switch. It might be too much for your remote wire to handle. while driving. I had the same problem happen to me and a braid from my remote wire was touching the ground whenever i would hit a bump and it would cut out. Try to reset your amp while you're driving by flipping the key off for a few seconds and then turn it back on. Obviously use common sense before doing this. If it resets then and you have sound for a little bit and it cuts out look for a loose connect. Also 1 amp i had whenever i'd hit a low bass drop it would cut out like i was starving the amp or something so i had to tone that down as well. It's all about trial and error.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:14 PM   #5
lildisco
RespectMyAuthoritah!

it also could be that your amp is too hot and it's shutting down for awhile. How long to you use them before they cut out while driving?

03 SE SVT Wannabe (sold) to help pay for my 08 Cooper Red Mazda CX7 AWD GT
Old 09-30-2004, 01:31 PM   #6
zslaton
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11347
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow Power Premium ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 zslaton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I had the shut off problem when I ran music with a lot of base and poor ventilation. My amp would shut off due to too much heat.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:42 PM   #7
cfire39275
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

it varies sometimes on how long before it goes out. the amp is cold so i dont think it is overheating. even when the subs shut off while driving, as soon as i put the car in park and shut it off, the subs work fine.

do you think it could be because of a bad ground??

also, i have a zx3 with the audiophile. where is a good ground??? i just busted out the multimeter, and once i found one, i used it. It doesnt help that my ground cable is 3ft long...
Old 09-30-2004, 07:17 PM   #8
joshandlauri
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11168
What I Drive: Focus ZX3 pitch black

FF Reputation: 1 joshandlauri Good Standing Member
i hace a sony 500 watt amp, cheapo fins no fans or anything in it. after playing at full blast for a while it would just cut off, i bough a 12 volt fan from radio shack($10) and some sticky strips to install it on top of the amp,put the fan wires, red one on the remote feed one on the ground. (draws little power) so it runs when the amp is on. never had the problem since. also if your gain is all the way up (louder) it gets hotter sooner. Also check to see the resistance of you speakers if they're bridged with a multimeter. my amp if bridged at 3 ohms, only made for 4 ohm, it workfine and dandy with the fan.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:50 PM   #9
focus4dr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8489
What I Drive: 2004 Torch Red Mustang GT (40th Annaversery Edition)

FF Reputation: 1 focus4dr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Check the speaker impedence too... if you have them wired wrong, its drawing too much power from the amp and the amp could be shorting out. Look into parallel vs series wiring for the speakers... I believe I have mine wired in series, I had them wired in Parallel, but it dropped the impedence too low and it cut the amp out.

Mods:

Steeda: 2.25" stainless steel exhaust, UDP's, Dragon plenum, and CAI.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:45 PM   #10
sa_pyro_ne
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1437
What I Drive: 2000 Ranger V6 4.0L 4x4 XLT Ext Cab

FF Reputation: 4 sa_pyro_ne Good Standing Member
there are many possiblities, my guesses would go in this order....

overheating amplifier (impedance issues)
loose ground connection
loose power connections on amplifier
over-taxing remote turn-on wire with neons hooked to it (see comment below)
remote wire grounding out very slightly or it has a poor connection

about the neons and the remote turn-on wire, if this is an aftermarket radio, DO NOT use the remote turn-on wire for turning on the amp AND neons, it is most likely too much current draw for that wire. the remote turn-on wire can supply up to aobut an amp of current. most amplifiers pull at least 30mA and as far as i know, a couple of neon's probably pull a good 50mA+. but you may be okay if this is hooked to the stock radios 12V switched wire or something simliar.

as far as the noise you are expierencing, the RCA route will not cause problems 99.9% of the time, so don't worry about that. 99% of the time it's a ground issue. so make sure to SAND the ground area to BARE metal and maybe try using a washer to increase the amount of contact between the terminal and screw head.

- Scott

Bookmarks & Social Networks