Speaker wire Routing: Amp to Doors ???? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-26-2004, 05:22 PM   #1
FocusInCali
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7987
What I Drive: 01 SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 FocusInCali Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Speaker wire Routing: Amp to Doors ????

Who's doing what?

1) Are you running new speaker wire from the amp all the way to the door, which requires drilling new holes in the body and door?

2) Are you doing the same as above, but running the wire out the side of the door opening (near dash) to the side of the door panel, which exposes the wire only when the door is open?

3) Or, are you running the new wire to splice into the old wire behind the HU?

The obvious was to run the wire through the rubber boot going to the door. But I found it is a plug, not a boot; so that won't work. Unless I tap into the speaker wire near the kick panel before it goes to the plug, but I'm thinking drilling holes and using grommets would be better.

Those of you with amps, how did you route your speaker wires?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2004, 05:42 PM   #2
focuson03
Formerly Focused

Fan#: 556
What I Drive: 2007 Galaxy Gray Mazda3 GT

FF Reputation: 1 focuson03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
if you're running a four channel, the best way to do it is to run new wires from the amp to the rears, then use the factory wiring to the rears and connect the fronts (from the amp) to it, then connect the front and rears together in the harness behind the radio. that method requires no re-routing of speaker wire to the door. if you're only using a two channel, i'd recommend running new wires to the back of the deck. . .

-Josh
Old 09-26-2004, 05:57 PM   #3
FocusInCali
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7987
What I Drive: 01 SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 FocusInCali Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
That would be option #4 for a ZX3, but I have a wagon with four doors.

I know my options, I'm just curious to see what other's have done. That is an interesting thought though. If someone doesn't use the rear doors, they could tap into the rear door wires before they go to the rear door, and connect the f+r behind the HU. That means less wire ran.

For a high-end audiophile setup, that's too many connections for me. Plus I want heavier gauge wire. I'll probably run all new high quality 12ga. wire to the doors via drilling and grommets. One wire from amp to passive crossover.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:09 PM   #4
Sublime

Fan#: 192
What I Drive: 02 Focus ZTS, 02 Escape V6, 80 Turbo T/A

FF Reputation: 1 Sublime Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I have a sedan and the rears were easy as long as you don't break the big rubber boots and plastic pieces inside. I pulled the rubber/plastic boots off and ran the speaker wire directly from the amp to the rears then sealed the boots back up making sure the plastic pieces had a small notch cut out and was sealed with silicone.

The fronts were a pain in the rear. I was going to run the wiring directly into the doors but we all know that is kinda hard. Instead, I ran the wiring from the amp to the area where the wiring harness enters the door jamb. I then spliced the wires and used the stock wiring in the jambs. Once into the doors, I spliced and used new wiring for the components.

It all worked well, in the Escape, I ran it all up to the front, behind the HU, and just tied it into the wiring harness using the stock wiring into the doors. Course this is on ly 4 channels of 45 per where as the Focus is getting 75x4.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:36 PM   #5
sa_pyro_ne
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1437
What I Drive: 2000 Ranger V6 4.0L 4x4 XLT Ext Cab

FF Reputation: 4 sa_pyro_ne Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i don't really have any suggestions but i have a comment on the wire gauge. just go with new quality 16 gauge (i recommend www.knukonceptz.com ). 12 gauge is overkill, 16 gauge is good past 1000 watts @ 4 ohm without any audioable loss in power or SQ. that's just my opinion.

- Scott
Old 09-27-2004, 01:36 AM   #6
DidHeFocus?
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1704
What I Drive: 2003.5 ZTW PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 DidHeFocus? Good Standing Member
I guess #3 fits for me.

I have now have a line out converter connected to the output of the factory Blaupunkt and down to my 2 channel amp, whose line outs are connected to my mono sub amp.

The 2 channel amp's speaker outs have 14 gauge wire going back to behind the HU and from there they connect to the factory speaker wires.

I really considered switching to 14 gauge all the way from the amp to the front speakers, but when I saw that the rubber duct was actually a connector harness with NO open space to feed wire through, I changed my mind. I didn't want to mess with that, and I didn't want visible wires going from the car to the door.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:53 PM   #7
carrierx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11957
FF Reputation: 1 carrierx Good Standing Member
hmmm

Im not to this point yet but ...

why not just follow the stock wires patih with new wire ? Is it that much a pain ?
Old 09-27-2004, 04:51 PM   #8
sa_pyro_ne
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1437
What I Drive: 2000 Ranger V6 4.0L 4x4 XLT Ext Cab

FF Reputation: 4 sa_pyro_ne Good Standing Member
Re: hmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by carrierx
Im not to this point yet but ...

why not just follow the stock wires patih with new wire ? Is it that much a pain ?
It's no problem until you get to the point that DidHeFocus? just mentioned. Supposedly, where the wires go to the rubber boot/tube in the door jam, it is actually like a harness on one side. So you can't get the wire through unless you drill a new hole and have exposed wires that don't look stock and are vunerable.

- Scott
Old 10-01-2004, 10:54 AM   #9
SQFocusZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4729
What I Drive: 2000 Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 2 SQFocusZTS Good Standing Member
I am in the process of finishing my install (www.sounddomain.com/id/boomintaurus). I had put 8" midbass drivers in my front doors, and I actually went the route of drilling a new hole in the door and frame of the vehicle. There was a company that i found that sells rubber door boots rather cheaply. It worked out perfectly. I'm an installer so i'd say the majority of the tools i used wouldn't be found in a common tool box.

good luck

-john

Certified MASTER Installer
one of 72 in the world...
Old 10-01-2004, 11:37 AM   #10
Sublime

Fan#: 192
What I Drive: 02 Focus ZTS, 02 Escape V6, 80 Turbo T/A

FF Reputation: 1 Sublime Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
What company sells the rubber boots SQFocusZTS? I am planning a little something else in my doors and would like to clean it up some more

Bookmarks & Social Networks