can the Ford Sync system read/use USB Hard drive - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-06-2011, 01:29 AM   #1
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
can the Ford Sync system read/use USB Hard drive

Can the USB port with the Sync system recognize and access a USB hard drive?

I know the port is designed for like USB flash drives and connecting phones to it via USB cables, but can it also work with a portable USB hard drive?

I have a 2010 Focus with Sync factory installed. Reason I'm asking is because I have about 30GB of music, and want to be able to take the drive with me on trips (and I don't currently own an MP3 player with 30GB of space unfortunately--mine is only an 4GB).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 06:11 AM   #2
LERecords
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84131
What I Drive: 2011 SE Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 1 LERecords Good Standing Member
possibly if the drive is usb powerd, but somehow i would think not...
Old 06-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
Duhamel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78883
What I Drive: 2009 Silver SES

FF Reputation: 1 Duhamel Good Standing Member
Only one way to find out.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
ericab
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86426
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ericab Good Standing Member
ive recently acquired a 2012 ford focus and done just this!

it works perfectly.

bought a 250GB segate portable usb drive; formatted it as FAT32 (very important, as SYNC wont recognize NTFS >:| ) put about 180GB of music on it and voila! the only drawback to a large library is SYNC told me that voice selection for music is disabled.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericab View Post
ive recently acquired a 2012 ford focus and done just this!

it works perfectly.

bought a 250GB segate portable usb drive; formatted it as FAT32 (very important, as SYNC wont recognize NTFS >:| ) put about 180GB of music on it and voila! the only drawback to a large library is SYNC told me that voice selection for music is disabled.
That's a bit stupid that Sync can't read NTFS drives... seeing that NTFS is explicitly (and I think the only operating system) that uses by Windows operating systems only. It was designed by Microsoft, so as to why their own software can't read it puzzles me (maybe to prevent people from porting around gigantic drives of stuff--possibly overload the Sync system because after a point, maybe Sync can't read stuff from the drive--you know because for MP3s, it assigns an IDE that is uses to sort out the data on the drive, etc.)

But at least I can use a decent sized drive. And yes, my drive is USB powered rive, as are most laptop portable external drives. It's that or spend a lot on a 32GB flash drive, which costs about as much as a 160GB external hard drive, which was caused me to ask.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

This also makes me wonder why Ford just doesn't charge maybe an extra $100 for the Sync option, and then just have built-in flash memory that you can only copy music to (From CDs for USB flash drives), but not allow you to copy it off the car's internal flash memory (for copyright reasons--to prevent people from sharing music illegally).

I think this would also make the Sync system a good seller, not that it isn't already in Ford vehicles, but it would make it that much more desirable... At least for me, I have maybe only a fraction of my music collection that I listen too.. And it would be nice if I didn't have to port around a USB drive or hard drive, and just be able to upload my favorite music directly to the car, and to know that it'll be there whenever I drive the car (no more forgetting my flash drive on long trips, and having to listen to satalite or local radio...)
Old 06-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #7
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I just bought a couple of 8gig thumbdrives and loaded them with the music i wanted. sync hates my 120gig ipod classic full of tunes.
anyone notice when you do a play all it randomly selects songs but seems to have a few thats its favorites, and will play them 3 or so times within half an hour? annoying as hell when you have 8 gigs of music...
Old 06-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Duhamel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78883
What I Drive: 2009 Silver SES

FF Reputation: 1 Duhamel Good Standing Member
FAT32? Ugh, can't stand it. I can't count the number of times I've tried to copy a 4+ Gb file to a drive only to be told it's "too big". All my HDDs are formatted to NTFS. So thumb drives it is.

And yes, I have yet to see something that shuffles music well.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
KyleQ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84296
What I Drive: 2008 Focus Coupe 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 KyleQ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm guessing the reasoning behind not having flash memory in a car has something to do with licensing and the fact that almost everyone has a MP3 player. FAT32 is fine for car audio - I would suggest getting a mobile laptop drive and formating it into FAT32 and copying your music on that.

This guy would work perfectly -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148407
Torsen T-2/Clutchnet Stage 3
Fidanza 8lb 131 of 2150
Old 06-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
ericab
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86426
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ericab Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleQ View Post
I'm guessing the reasoning behind not having flash memory in a car has something to do with licensing and the fact that almost everyone has a MP3 player. FAT32 is fine for car audio - I would suggest getting a mobile laptop drive and formating it into FAT32 and copying your music on that.

This guy would work perfectly -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148407
that's the exact one i got... works quite well. if the drive isnt being accessed, for say 5 minutes (you switch from AUX to AM/FM for example) the drive will power itself down. the 5 minute timer can be set from some bundled software from within windows. great reviews too

Bookmarks & Social Networks