The 2012 Window Tint Thread - Page 78 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #771
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralck View Post
I've never tinted a car myself, but I'm the local "pro" of screen protectors, tablet protectors, etc. [bootyshak
I know tint is a bit different, but for $20-50 I'm darn tempted to try out these precut ebay deals. If I do, I'll certainly let you know how it goes.
the brand i found and has great reviews is black box tint, some of the guys on the tint forums have used it and like it. i'd get the mid level equal to 3m's mid level, and give it a go. for 50 bucks, it's worth trying IMO. the only part i'm worried about is the rear window, but i'd start with the rear quarter windows, and work forward on the sides, until I came to the rear windshield, so I have done 6 windows prior to it. my plan is to give it a go this summer
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Not the bear the zoo deserves, but the bear the zoo needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #772
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

Points 703, Level 14
Points: 703, Level: 14 Points: 703, Level: 14 Points: 703, Level: 14
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Sticceno View Post
Unfortunately not every driver has the forethought to roll down illegally tinted windows so cops can be safe.
Personally, it's not worth the risk of getting a ticket to have illegally dark windows. (The officer could pull me over just for the window tint and ask me to roll up the windows so he can check the tint).

That said, if you are running illegally dark window tint and DON'T roll down the windows when you get pulled over, you DESERVE to get the ticket, IMHO.

Quote:
Also, the safety issues for other drivers/pedestrians still is too much for me.
I read your previous post. I think there needs to be a distinction made here.

It seems like you are saying your friend wouldn't have been hit by the drunk driver if the driver didn't have tinted windows. I doubt that - it seems like she was hit from the front and chances are the windshield was not tinted - it is illegal in most states.

The tint allowed the scumbag to get away with hitting her - and that is just plain wrong - but it isn't the same as causing the accident.

I do feel that tinted windows reduce visibility and depth perception - particularly when changing lanes at night - and each driver has to evaluate their own eyesight and determine if it is worth the risk to them and other drivers.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #773
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,098, Level 40
Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F35-JSF View Post
I don't grab my papers till asked. The movement you make to get them can be misconstrued. I roll my windows down turn off the car and rest my hands on the wheel.
That's why I have all my papers in hand within 30 seconds of being pulled over which is well before the officer even gets out of his car. Like I said I've been pulled over 20+ times (all for speeding) in a 12 year span and not one cop ever said anything about my tint but we also don't have traffic Nazis in Colorado.Not all states are the same.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #774
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

in ND my friends always get pulled over, our limit is 50 up front but they allow anything to like 20.
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #775
rickdarris2004
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108926
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 6 Touring

FF Reputation: 1 rickdarris2004 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebstubstad View Post
in ND my friends always get pulled over, our limit is 50 up front but they allow anything to like 20.
Alright! Another Fargoan! I just got my 2013 Focus done here in town for just over $300. All windows and a windshield strip. They did a great job. I still have yet to get pics, as the weather has been terrible. Who did you have quote $340? Don't even bother with Tintmasters, they were over $450 (Though they use 3M). Rydell in Grand Forks does Llumar.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #776
Johnny Sticceno
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108460
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Johnny Sticceno Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Heli View Post
Personally, it's not worth the risk of getting a ticket to have illegally dark windows. (The officer could pull me over just for the window tint and ask me to roll up the windows so he can check the tint).

That said, if you are running illegally dark window tint and DON'T roll down the windows when you get pulled over, you DESERVE to get the ticket, IMHO.

I read your previous post. I think there needs to be a distinction made here.

It seems like you are saying your friend wouldn't have been hit by the drunk driver if the driver didn't have tinted windows. I doubt that - it seems like she was hit from the front and chances are the windshield was not tinted - it is illegal in most states.

The tint allowed the scumbag to get away with hitting her - and that is just plain wrong - but it isn't the same as causing the accident.

I do feel that tinted windows reduce visibility and depth perception - particularly when changing lanes at night - and each driver has to evaluate their own eyesight and determine if it is worth the risk to them and other drivers.
It's not worth the risk to me either! That's why there's no tint on the front of my car!

And I understand how you could have thought that I was saying tint caused the accident. It certainly did not, the dude was twice the legal limit the tint couldn't have stopped what happened. The fact that it allowed him to get away with such a horrible thing is a legal issue. Because of that alone, I'm against tinting the front of a vehicle.

That said, I know from personal experience it is impossible to tell what a driver is looking at when his or her tinting is so dark you can't see in. This is a serious safety issue at all junctures. I don't have a personal story about someone with dark tint causing an accident but that doesn't mean it isn't a real issue. It just so happens I do have a personal story about allowing drivers to be ghosts essentially while driving.

Regardless, this is unfortunately a law where people are allowed to have their own opinions because police officers don't often pull people over simply for having the tint (not here in Calgary, anyway). That makes it a law based on a particular officer's judgement which allows people to decide if they want to follow the law or not. Since that's the case, I have to at least say that I understand people have different opinions on the matter, and I have to respect that!

Edit: the windshield was tinted in my friend's case: definitely illegal here in Calgary, too. Alas, since what I said above about a subjective call on each officer's part, he got away with it long enough to escape a serious criminal charge. After all was said and done, he got a $50 ticket for illegal tinting.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #777
F'nClassy
Eh!

Fan#: 97270
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 6 F'nClassy Good Standing Member
Fortunately, we have just "guidelines" here and it is "recommended" to not go darker than 35% (so depends on the cop really lol)....I have 20% and haven't been pulled over yet (well I was pulled over ONCE in my life and it was since I got my mk3 and the windows were tinted, but I was pulled over for speeding, nothing was mentioned about the tint, nor did I get a ticket ;)
HN#154
Sonic's MK3 Crew #07

Live together, die alone
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhillsken View Post
Instead of a "Dual Clutch", "Dual Personality" might be a better name.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #778
ralck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96372
What I Drive: My sister's car while it is salty

FF Reputation: 1 ralck Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebstubstad View Post
the brand i found and has great reviews is black box tint, some of the guys on the tint forums have used it and like it. i'd get the mid level equal to 3m's mid level, and give it a go. for 50 bucks, it's worth trying IMO. the only part i'm worried about is the rear window, but i'd start with the rear quarter windows, and work forward on the sides, until I came to the rear windshield, so I have done 6 windows prior to it. my plan is to give it a go this summer
I'll check out Black Box Tint. Thanks for the suggestion. My big problem is stupid NY laws say you basically can't tint the front windows (must allow 70% light through) so even if I went with 50% I would be illegal. Not sure I want to open that can of worms...
Old 03-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #779
Tiger-Heli
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

Points 703, Level 14
Points: 703, Level: 14 Points: 703, Level: 14 Points: 703, Level: 14
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 4 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Sticceno View Post
That said, I know from personal experience it is impossible to tell what a driver is looking at when his or her tinting is so dark you can't see in. ... It just so happens I do have a personal story about allowing drivers to be ghosts essentially while driving.
We're straying a bit from the topic, but by your first sentence, dark or mirrored sunglasses should be banned as well. Per your second sentence, if the driver were sober and unethical (which he was the latter), even without tint, the devious thing to do would be to race away, park his car somewhere after the accident, take a cab home, and report his car stolen and hope an eyewitness couldn't put him at the accident or that he could come up with alibi's and witnesses to say he was not the driver and it was someone else. (It basically worked for Ray Lewis in 2000, but we won't go there).

Quote:
Edit: the windshield was tinted in my friend's case: definitely illegal here in Calgary, too. ... After all was said and done, he got a $50 ticket for illegal tinting.
FWIW - I do somewhat agree with you on principle. I think it's a bad idea to run 5% limo black tint on ALL the windows and the windshield - even in the few states that allow it. For safety, something like 50% on the front windshield for heat rejection, 35% on the side windows and either 20% or 5% on the rear side and rear windshield is probably what I would support and go with if their were NO restrictions on tinting. (Maybe 20% on the front and rear when I was younger - I "thought" I was more careful and "thought" my eyes were better.)
Old 03-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #780
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdarris2004 View Post
Alright! Another Fargoan! I just got my 2013 Focus done here in town for just over $300. All windows and a windshield strip. They did a great job. I still have yet to get pics, as the weather has been terrible. Who did you have quote $340? Don't even bother with Tintmasters, they were over $450 (Though they use 3M). Rydell in Grand Forks does Llumar.
No way! I know of you n one other guy lol. Check out rally revolution n we could meet up someday if you want. But the 340 was at marx customs, tintmasters was 300. Marx has great service n I have worked with them before but prices are too high. Where did you go?
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks