The 2012 Window Tint Thread - Page 25 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #241
element7850
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86432
What I Drive: 2012 black 5dr ti

FF Reputation: 1 element7850 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
had mine done last tuesday, i had 15% llumar ctx ceramic on all but the windshield and it looks really good and still have good visibility from the inside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2011, 12:25 AM   #242
TitaniumD
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89517
What I Drive: 2102 Titanium 5dr Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 TitaniumD Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelumsonofson View Post
I really have no knowledge of window tinting...been searching around for a place to get it done in Raleigh and got quoted $419 for the Llumar Pinnacle Series ceramic based tint (all side and back windows). That sounds a bit high to me, but as I said I really have no knowledge in this area. What do you guys think?

Really all I want is a tint that retains its color, blocks heat, reduces glare, and does not interfere with my car functioning in any way (I heard some tints can interfere with electronics but I don't know how much of that to believe or worry about). They also quoted me $239 for a dyed tint with a guarantee that it will maintain its color.

Also would appreciate opinions on which tint brands I should be looking at.
I don't think those prices are too out of line. If it is a good shop, it is worth a little more.
The pinnacle is a premium brand and is marked up accordingly. If you are really thorough, you can look up the specs for each film like I did.
The ceramic (best) and metalized films (often called HP) will block more heat per a given darkness than the dyed films. I have heard the rumor that the metal films can block GPS and cell phones, but I don't know how true it is. I am sure there could be some signal loss, but I can't see it completely blocking it.
The HP films also seem to have more reflection on the inside which can be annoying to see like the dash or your arms reflected in the windows. The ceramics have a tiny bit less of this effect, and the dyed films win in this category.
If you never had your windows tinted before, I do want to warn you that the back window will have distortion due to the film bending around the defroster lines. It is really only noticeable at night with the headlights behind you. I do not know of any way to avoid this happening.

Anyway, I settled on suntek brand CarbonXP or CXP which is a lesser regarded brand than llumar or 3m, but the specs were great for the price.
For example, the main spec you can compare for heat reduction is TSER or Total Solar Energy Reflection. This is the percentage of energy repelled from the inside of your car by the film. My CXP 45 (40%) has a tser of 50% this is the same as the HP at 1 step darker (30% illegal here) and beats the darkest dyed film they make which is 6% with a tser of 46%. If i got the dyed 40% the tser is 34. So my choice is to block one third of the heat or one half of it. I would have to have the darkest illegal limo dark dyed tint to even come close in heat savings to a legal (in my state) CXP.
Here is a comparison of CXP to some other premium films:
http://www.suntekfilms.com/common/fi...o_comp_CXP.pdf
Any that are listed on there (and some that aren't like huper optik and 3m crystaline) I think would be good. I chose only by price, and the prices may be different near you. If all the brands were the same price, I probably would get 3m crystaline or pinnacle, but my local shops wanted almost twice the price.
I am very happy with my CXP45 sides and back windows, but not happy with the CXP80 i had put on the sunroof and windshield. I think it was an install issue, not a film issue. Suntek does not warranty install issues, others brands might. The whole job cost $400. It would have been around 250 without the windshield. I found 3 shops in the area for suntek, 1 for 3m and 1 for pinnacle, and a bunch that didn't know (or wouldn't say) who made their film. Only 1 of the 3 suntek shops had the 80 for the windshield, so I went with them, and they messed it up. d'oh
3m crystaline 40% quote was 800 w/windshield @70%
pinnacle 40% quote was around $600 w/air blue 80% on the windshield.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #243
kaelumsonofson
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88337
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 kaelumsonofson Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumD View Post
I don't think those prices are too out of line. If it is a good shop, it is worth a little more.
category.
Thanks for all the info and insight. It's been a big help. This is definitely a good shop (I've used them before on recommendation from a BMW dealer in my area and they did quality work), I think I just had sticker shock on the price tag but I guess you get what you pay for. I checked around at some other shops and got quoted $319 for Johnson Silhouette film and $289 for a carbon fiber film by 3M...so I guess the prices and quality run the gamete. The 3M installer also mentioned the crystalline film but everything I can find on it online says it is hideously expensive.
Build Date: Aug 16th, ETIS: Aug 20th
Took Delivery: Aug 30th
Old 09-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #244
Guimpy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88333
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Guimpy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestoned View Post
Ive done tinting for 15 years, and the new Focus is one of the easier cars Ive tinted.. There is no tight corners to deal (unless you are dealing with the windshield)with that any reputable tinter wouldnt be able to handle. Take it back, make them remove it, and make them pay for it to be done elsewhere,,
Firestone, what about bubbles? Is it true that they will disapear with time? It's been over a month since the tint job and they are still there.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #245
hyronk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89562
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Hbk Ti 18"

FF Reputation: 1 hyronk Good Standing Member
basic carlite solar tint 35%

Old 09-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #246
kaelumsonofson
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guimpy View Post
Firestone, what about bubbles? Is it true that they will disapear with time? It's been over a month since the tint job and they are still there.
You might want to bring it back if the bubbles are still there over a month after you got it done. Check if there is a white speck in the middle of the air bubbles as that would indicate dirt particles stuck in there. This is all from what I have read anyway...not pretending to actually have any real hands-on experience with the stuff.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:45 AM   #247
NVaZN
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85144
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 NVaZN Good Standing Member
Does anyone know what the percentage of tint is from the factory? I'm looking to get 30% all around. I'd like to go as dark as I legally can in Texas. http://tintlaws.com/laws/TX/
Old 09-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #248
kaelumsonofson
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVaZN View Post
Does anyone know what the percentage of tint is from the factory? I'm looking to get 30% all around. I'd like to go as dark as I legally can in Texas. http://tintlaws.com/laws/TX/
Don't know the factory tint level but when my tint guy put on some samples and tested it they were coming in at 2-3% lower than the tint applied if that helps. A 35% tint showed up on the meter at about 33% for example.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #249
RDJTX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88961
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 RDJTX Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVaZN View Post
that website is not quite accurate. You should be fine with 30% all around. the windows to the left and right of the driver must be 25% or more, and car windows are normally about 3% from the factory so 30% will put you close but shouldn't put you below the legal lmit.

per the first link below the windows behind the driver are ALL exempt and the back window is exempt if you have outside mirrors. The second link is to the actual law.

going 30% all the way around will certainly put you in the good.

My plan is 30% on the front 20% the rest of the way around and the clear NON-TINTED UV protection on the windshield

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/misc/faq/tint.htm

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/TN.547.htm
Old 09-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #250
Tumdace
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88175
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium, Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 1 Tumdace Good Standing Member
Wheres the best place to get a tint done near Waterloo Ontario? Thinking of getting a 30 or 35% on the front and 20-25% on the back. Definately do not want to go to some cheapo place. Needs to be done well.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->