2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 82 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #811
enthusiast
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115456
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 enthusiast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I don't know the advantage of one tsb over the other, the mechanic supplied all the solutions to me I just explained what was wrong.

I would think a good dealer would give you a loaner, mine did, but maybe it was because they said they would have it done same day and they didn't. they let me drive an ecoboost escape titanium which was awesome btw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #812
nbryant0329
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115948
What I Drive: 2012 Pearl Focus

FF Reputation: 1 nbryant0329 Good Standing Member
I've had my Focus for 9 months and there is currently 15,700 miles on the car. Up until a week ago there was never a problem with the shifting expect the normal "feeling" of this type of transmission changing gears. Then it began hesitating like I was in neutral and accelerating quickly once it did finally engage. Also (especially if A/C is on) at times the whole car will shake and skip when changing gears. When driving on the hwy the car will randomly accelerate (rev-up) without any change in the pressure on the gas peddle.

I took the car to the dealer service dept. and was told that all of this is "normal". I can understand if the car had been exhibiting signs prior to a week ago, and truly believe my transmission has been "broken in" for months.

The shaking and skipping are so severe that my son was told by the DMV he couldn't complete his driver's test because the car was unsafe to drive.

The resolution the dealer service dept. has is I get to go on a test drive with the Service Foreman so he can explain to me "my misunderstanding" of how my vehicle works.

I have driven a manual transmission car for the majority of my driving career, and have no complaints of the "normal shifting feeling" of my Focus. What is currently taking place is NOT normal.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I may better resolve this problem with my Focus? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #813
enthusiast
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115456
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 enthusiast Good Standing Member
it sounds like your mechanic needs to be shown how to do his job. check yourself for leakage from the clutch and if you are able to find it point it out to them then talk to the manager with how dissatisfied you are about the service you received. that's the common problem. it's so common there are multiple tsbs out there for it . dct works awesome, when it isn't leaking from the clutch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbryant0329 View Post
I've had my Focus for 9 months and there is currently 15,700 miles on the car. Up until a week ago there was never a problem with the shifting expect the normal "feeling" of this type of transmission changing gears. Then it began hesitating like I was in neutral and accelerating quickly once it did finally engage. Also (especially if A/C is on) at times the whole car will shake and skip when changing gears. When driving on the hwy the car will randomly accelerate (rev-up) without any change in the pressure on the gas peddle.

I took the car to the dealer service dept. and was told that all of this is "normal". I can understand if the car had been exhibiting signs prior to a week ago, and truly believe my transmission has been "broken in" for months.

The shaking and skipping are so severe that my son was told by the DMV he couldn't complete his driver's test because the car was unsafe to drive.

The resolution the dealer service dept. has is I get to go on a test drive with the Service Foreman so he can explain to me "my misunderstanding" of how my vehicle works.

I have driven a manual transmission car for the majority of my driving career, and have no complaints of the "normal shifting feeling" of my Focus. What is currently taking place is NOT normal.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I may better resolve this problem with my Focus? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #814
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
I was on Edmonds yesterday and thought I'd check on the value of my '12 SEL. I was pleased at what I found but I noticed that they do NOT refer to my car's transmission as "automatic" but instead call it (more accurately BTW) an "automated manual".
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe
Old 06-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #815
CR2Motorsports
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115876
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL RED

FF Reputation: 1 CR2Motorsports Good Standing Member
Small Update

Went to my Ford Dealership today on the trans issue.

They checked it out , and it does fall under the TSB , and they are ordering the parts to fix it. Looking at 2 weeks before the parts to get in, apparently it's a big problem all over and parts are in high demand.

I Will update on it, once the repairs are completed.

Otherwise ( except for the rear tire wear , another thread on that ) my wife and I like it.

Thanks for you all's input.
Chris
Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #816
Toby267
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89511
What I Drive: 12 SE HB Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 1 Toby267 Good Standing Member
Hello, everyone,

I bought my 2012 SE sport in August of 2011. I had the transmission shuddering, and had the reflash last summer, which did nothing to help.
I took the car to Lebanon Ford in Lebanon, Oh for service last Wednesday. I also PM'd Crystal and asked her to get my Regional CSM involved. The car has just under 36,000 miles.

The tech did find a problem, and the clutches were replaced along with the input shaft seals. He also found "worn Z washers" on a release bearing which were replaced, along with other parts.

While the dealer had my car, I got two different phone calls from Ford Customer Service Reps wanting to check up on my problem. One said he would call back this week to make sure the problem was fixed to my satisfaction.

I picked up my car yesterday, and it feels like a completely different car. No shudder, no buzz, just quiet smooth shifts. I am amazed with how well it shifts now.

I would like to thank Todd Holbrook at Lebanon Ford for doing a great job repairing my Focus. Thanks also to Crystal from Ford for assisting me with this repair.

Toby
Old 06-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #817
Shorty Long
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68979
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium, Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 2 Shorty Long Good Standing Member
thanks for the story...please keep us updated

i'm interested in finding out if the fix is a lasting one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby267 View Post
Hello, everyone,

I bought my 2012 SE sport in August of 2011. I had the transmission shuddering, and had the reflash last summer, which did nothing to help.
I took the car to Lebanon Ford in Lebanon, Oh for service last Wednesday. I also PM'd Crystal and asked her to get my Regional CSM involved. The car has just under 36,000 miles.

The tech did find a problem, and the clutches were replaced along with the input shaft seals. He also found "worn Z washers" on a release bearing which were replaced, along with other parts.

While the dealer had my car, I got two different phone calls from Ford Customer Service Reps wanting to check up on my problem. One said he would call back this week to make sure the problem was fixed to my satisfaction.

I picked up my car yesterday, and it feels like a completely different car. No shudder, no buzz, just quiet smooth shifts. I am amazed with how well it shifts now.

I would like to thank Todd Holbrook at Lebanon Ford for doing a great job repairing my Focus. Thanks also to Crystal from Ford for assisting me with this repair.

Toby
Old 06-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #818
DentonFocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89401
What I Drive: 2012 silver 5dr titanium

FF Reputation: 1 DentonFocus Good Standing Member
Transmission slipping/shuttering

I have a 2012 Ti 5door w/ the 18" wheels and experienced some shuttering from the transmission around 50k miles. first time it happened, it felt very similar to tires loosing traction.
Not sure if it's the same problem in the recent posting.
Also was not happy w/ shift points and down shift delay so I contacted my service adviser and brought the car in for service.
Dealer re-flashed PCM/TCM under newly released TSB 13-4-5 which greatly improved driveability as far as shift points and down shifts (this update made a big difference!), but shutter was still present. Dealer ordered and replaced both clutches which fixed the shuttering problem.
Unfortunately, when I picked it up late, it vibrated more than normal at a stop, regardless if it's in D, N, or P. Turns out the rear engine mount was damaged, so they ordered and replaced it. Car now drives great. Shifts much better than before too.
All this under the power train warranty. even got free car rental.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #819
jeevandroid
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103128
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 jeevandroid Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby267 View Post
Hello, everyone,

Toby
I had the same shuddering issue and they did the same thing for my car last year and the problem seemed to be gone. Now, a year later the same problem is back and they have scheduled me for another clutch replacement.

Has your repair held up any better than mine?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #820
aptech77
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44296
What I Drive: 2012 POS!! Loaded SEL HB Ford Fucus

FF Reputation: 1 aptech77 Good Standing Member
Let me jump on this train. I just traded my 2001 ,with 157,788 miles, for a new 2012 SEL with 33 miles on it, 3 weeks ago. I currently have 900 miles on it and it has all the same problems everyone has been grinding about.....lol. About 100 miles ago it started to have a faint grind while shifting through 1-2-3 gears as well as backing up in R. It also shutters in first gear and has the now and agian, jerk shift in different gears. Im set to go to the dealer tomorrow. Kinda wish I still had my old work horse ZX3 back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtdazmW281Y

Bookmarks & Social Networks