2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 80 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #791
2012FFTitanium
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115024
What I Drive: 2012 Metallic White Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 2012FFTitanium Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry This is getting ridiculous...

I bought my Focus in early 2012 from a dealership here in Houston, and I have taken it in for service regarding the transmission acceleration stutter three times. Each time, I am told something along the lines of "There was an engine reprogram/remap available, so we installed that and you should be good to go." But give it two or three days, and it comes right back, and it actually seems to be getting incrementally worse each time. And I do not think that it will be getting better by breaking it in more, because it is at about 20k miles as it stands. It mainly occurs when leaving a dead stop, and will stutter up into third on some occasions. It has roughly the same feel of trying to get off the line in the wrong gear. Except that my car is an automatic.... so at least on this occasion, I am not the one messing it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #792
MSAL12
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113725
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 MSAL12 Good Standing Member
I would suggest trying a different dealership. If you read enough of these complaints you will come across acouple of Ford Cutomer Service REps. They seem to be very helpful in getting results. Maybe print off a couple of these issue that others have had and take them to your dealership. I will try to scan my repair slip into the thread. I have driven about 500k since the install of the clutch packs and it seems so much better.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #793
2012FFTitanium
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115024
What I Drive: 2012 Metallic White Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 2012FFTitanium Good Standing Member
You get a plus 1
Old 05-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #794
MSAL12
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113725
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 MSAL12 Good Standing Member
I found a rep in one to messages i prvious looked at. She seems to get things done. Give her a shout or just out right call for assistance not sure of her availability and avoid all the running around of dealerships.. good luck

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 05-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #795
rick217
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110731
What I Drive: FORMERLY a 2013 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 rick217 Good Standing Member
good luck! I found the best way to get any relief is to dump the car like I did because Ford is doing nothing to help its customers!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #796
speedy1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115043
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 speedy1 Good Standing Member
I purchased a 2012 Focus SE approximately 3 weeks ago at Crown Ford in Fayetteville, NC and noticed the "jerking" in the transmission. It has 22,000 miles on it. I really noticed the jerking while sitting at a light and trying to accelerate or try to pass someone. It's terrible, like it's going to cut off. I took it to the dealer. The lady I bought my car from has a Focus and she said her car was doing the same thing. I was told to go to the service department and have them look at it. The service guy acted like it was the first time he had heard of this complaint and told me to bring it back next week. I told him it only had about 22,000 miles on it, it's a new car and it shouldn't be "jerking" like that. I don't want the car if it's going to continue to do that. My old car (2007 Focus) NEVER did that and it had more get up and go power. I'm afraid to try to pull into traffic like I used to, wondering if my 2012 Focus is going to be able to shift gears and pick up speed so I won't get hit. Ford needs to do something about this....IT'S A DEFECT!!! I WANT A DIFFERENT CAR.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #797
Becka95
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115125
What I Drive: 2013 White Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Becka95 Good Standing Member
Tranny problems

Bought my Focus a few weeks ago and was very happy at first. Took the car on a short road trip to Philly and started to hear the grinding accompanied with the lurching. This first started at a stop light. I hit the gas because it sounded like the car was going to stall and this didn't help. I really pissed off the other drivers behind me because I was going up hill and there was no power to the car. After this happened a few times, I drove down a side street and the noise continued and I was only going 20 mph. Took the car to the dealer who claimed there was nothing found wrong with the car. Then the tech came out and told me that the transmission needs to be broken in.

I live in a small community and the speed limit is 15 mph. It is embarrassing to drive on our roads and have my neighbors look at me like I am crazy to keep driving a car that sounds like the transmission is about to blow. Once I hit around 35 mph the car drives smoothly. Problem is, I live in the mountains and there is a lot of driving uphill that requires pressing on the pedal to gain speed. When this happens, the noise comes back and the car stutters significantly.

I have driven a stick shift most of my driving life and I have managed to "learn" how to shift using the gas pedal and watching the Eco Fuel "flower" to try and figure out this car. But driving below 25 mph still seems to present a problem with the noise. I have never burned out a clutch before and really not looking forward to starting now with an automatic.

I have owned 6 Ford vehicles and didn't hesitate to buy another. Test drive was smooth and this problem didn't present itself until around 500 miles. I work from home so I mainly use the car to shuttle the kids around and occasional day trips. Thank God for warranty!
Old 05-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #798
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becka95 View Post
Bought my Focus a few weeks ago and was very happy at first. Took the car on a short road trip to Philly and started to hear the grinding accompanied with the lurching. This first started at a stop light. I hit the gas because it sounded like the car was going to stall and this didn't help. I really pissed off the other drivers behind me because I was going up hill and there was no power to the car. After this happened a few times, I drove down a side street and the noise continued and I was only going 20 mph. Took the car to the dealer who claimed there was nothing found wrong with the car. Then the tech came out and told me that the transmission needs to be broken in.

I live in a small community and the speed limit is 15 mph. It is embarrassing to drive on our roads and have my neighbors look at me like I am crazy to keep driving a car that sounds like the transmission is about to blow. Once I hit around 35 mph the car drives smoothly. Problem is, I live in the mountains and there is a lot of driving uphill that requires pressing on the pedal to gain speed. When this happens, the noise comes back and the car stutters significantly.

I have driven a stick shift most of my driving life and I have managed to "learn" how to shift using the gas pedal and watching the Eco Fuel "flower" to try and figure out this car. But driving below 25 mph still seems to present a problem with the noise. I have never burned out a clutch before and really not looking forward to starting now with an automatic.

I have owned 6 Ford vehicles and didn't hesitate to buy another. Test drive was smooth and this problem didn't present itself until around 500 miles. I work from home so I mainly use the car to shuttle the kids around and occasional day trips. Thank God for warranty!
welcome to the joys of the DCT,dealer is right clutches do need to break-in. think mine took about 6-700 miles. i'm at 19000+ miles think its best transmission i've driven.it still acts up in city or low speed driving sometimes,have found a couple of full throttle accelerations (0-60 65 mph) quiets it down and improves shiffting for awhile. you might want to try getting on and off 380(went to the army depot a few times) a few times, be a little more aggressive on accelerating(i know hard to do in a 15mph town) see if that helps any.just curious how do you drive using the Eco Fuel "flower" ?mine never changes always full. which transmission do you have the select shift or powershift if you have powershift theres a button(overdrive cancel/grade assist) on side of gear shift knob might help on climbing hills
Old 05-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #799
MYMOBILE
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115259
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 MYMOBILE Good Standing Member
2012 Ford Focus Shudders

So I am also having issues & while the problem lessened the more I drive the issue came back with a vengeance so I took it in & they told me that I had a transmittion leak in a gasket & that it was making the clutch slip because it dripping on it. I am getting it repaired soon & hopefully this will be the end of the problem. Now saying that they have to reset the computer & there will be a period of 2 weeks where I may feel the shuddering as the car computer is relearning my driving habits. keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes well.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:08 AM   #800
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYMOBILE View Post
So I am also having issues & while the problem lessened the more I drive the issue came back with a vengeance so I took it in & they told me that I had a transmittion leak in a gasket & that it was making the clutch slip because it dripping on it. I am getting it repaired soon & hopefully this will be the end of the problem. Now saying that they have to reset the computer & there will be a period of 2 weeks where I may feel the shuddering as the car computer is relearning my driving habits. keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes well.
it will probably take longer then 2 weeks may take up to 1,000+ miles for new clutches to stop shuddering have you read the dealer handout threadhttp://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312416

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->