2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 77 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #761
HCAULFIELD77
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111754
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Metallic Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 HCAULFIELD77 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
PratoN:

It seems like mine vibrates worse when making a turn also. In my opinion, the transmission has too many gears for such a small engine. 6 gears is one or two gears too many. The car shifts from first to second gear at 10mph then to third at around 15-20mph. Would have been fine with a 4 or 5 speed automatic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #762
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCAULFIELD77 View Post
It seems like mine vibrates worse when making a turn also.
It's things like this (and the shudder from a stand-still) that make me think they messed something up when they did the 12B37 reprogramming that also affected the ABS. What I wouldn't do for a roll-back (program-wise, that is - not the issue they "fixed" when you roll back on an incline... )
Old 03-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #763
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Quote:
They told me by all means to stop by the dealer and pick up a copy of the letter if I wanted to, I am rarely on that side of town so I called them a few days later and requested that they mail it to me. The next day I got the call to bring it in again. So I will ask for a copy when I am there on the 2nd. Tried to make an earlier appointment to bring it in but she told me that their transmission tech is pretty much swamped right now (I can see why) and he's not there on weekends, so they would like to have me come in at the beginning of the week instead of the middle or end of the week.
I'll save you the trouble, just see my first post I made a scan of both pages, I am sure it's identical but if not let me know.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312416
Old 03-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #764
Hypnotoad
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85864
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 3 Hypnotoad Good Standing Member
Took my 2012 in for the shuddering-shift problem today. They gave me the “that is normal” run-around and waved away the fluid leaking from the bell housing as normal excess rust inhibitor dripping from the engine block. It is obviously not normal for a trans to work fine for over a year then develop a shudder.

I don’t know if I have the strength to try every avenue to get Ford to fix this defect, especially if the replacement seal is just going to keep failing and the problem reoccur every year or two. It’s annoying to drive and embarrassing having my friends ask me what’s wrong with my car. I’m inclined to dump it now and get it over with, but I don’t think I can afford the financial hit, and truthfully, except for the trans problems I don’t see any other car on the market these days I’d rather drive.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #765
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
Took my 2012 in for the shuddering-shift problem today. They gave me the ďthat is normalĒ run-around and waved away the fluid leaking from the bell housing as normal excess rust inhibitor dripping from the engine block. It is obviously not normal for a trans to work fine for over a year then develop a shudder.

I donít know if I have the strength to try every avenue to get Ford to fix this defect, especially if the replacement seal is just going to keep failing and the problem reoccur every year or two. Itís annoying to drive and embarrassing having my friends ask me whatís wrong with my car. Iím inclined to dump it now and get it over with, but I donít think I can afford the financial hit, and truthfully, except for the trans problems I donít see any other car on the market these days Iíd rather drive.
What are the Lemon Laws like in Canada? I hope I do not need to resort to that avenue, but it's nice to know the option is there if needed.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #766
HCAULFIELD77
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111754
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Metallic Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 HCAULFIELD77 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
I'll save you the trouble, just see my first post I made a scan of both pages, I am sure it's identical but if not let me know.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312416

I like their diagnostic tip for the tech to listen to the sounds coming for another similar transmission at the same temperature and if they both make the same sounds, more than likely it's normal and no service is needed. WTF kind of diagnostic is that? Couldn't BOTH transmissions be bad and making the same sounds? That's just ridiculous.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #767
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
... I will make the appointment this week and see what they have to say and see what they are going to do but as of this moment, I'm a little pissed that the car is brand new and already having transmission problems.
Hi HCAULFIELD77,

I want to get your regional customer service manager involved so they can assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get your information into the right hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
Took my 2012 in for the shuddering-shift problem today. They gave me the ďthat is normalĒ run-around and waved away the fluid leaking from the bell housing as normal excess rust inhibitor dripping from the engine block. It is obviously not normal for a trans to work fine for over a year then develop a shudder.

I donít know if I have the strength to try every avenue to get Ford to fix this defect...
Hi Hypnotoad,

Have you had the chance to contact Ford Canada? They can advise you on next steps to take. Give them a call at 1-800-565-3673.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 03-30-2013, 03:27 AM   #768
nevion
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88883
What I Drive: 2012, black, titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 nevion Good Standing Member
I haven't been back here for some time but all I can say is wow at how big a problem the transmission seems to be for ford. I'm at about 10k miles now with probably 8 trips to the dealer since I got the my titanium hatchback in may 2011 at the Buerge ford LA dealership and while my problems with it haven't been as bad as others, I've had to get it reprogrammed alot out of safety concerns and flat out invalid operation (it's been so dangerous/untrusted during unguarded left turns).

So my transmission chattered a few times recently which gave me a good scare and potential slipping some times though I disregarded it but was on the watch (driving with the windows down, no stereo on to try and hear it). So this plus melted glue in the headliner (yes, the glue actually melted into the headliner fabric, symmetrically about the center of the car - despite the car almost always being parked in garages!) with the overhead console starting to invisibly sag and annoyingly rattle on the road AND my GPS not getting a fix for the last month... it was time to go back to the dealer again. Actually this was the second time I was back in the last 5 months, the previous was back in 2nd week of december. Both times, the first day I brought the car in, they said they'd get on it and nothing was done to my car at all! The mechanics are generally pretty nice but objectively there's a problem here... I chose not to escalate cause I didn't want to management to come down too hard on them for them getting saturated with too many customers but seriously I was damn mad at this. Only time anything got done was after I left the car with them 3 or 4 business days. I always leave hopeful I won't have to be back for a long time.

So I just got it back today and I think they addressed everything but the transmission work blew my mind, I wasn't expecting more than software (since it seems it's adaptive learning is not able to deal with la traffic). Jury is still out on transmission - I'm hoping to give it a good long test drive this weekend. FYI here is the invoice section on the transmission:

Quote:
CUSTOMER STATES TRANSMISSION LURCHES FROM ACCEL ON DEADSTOP REGARDLESS OF VEHICLE BEING COLD OR WARM

110914A Reprogram The PCM and TCM Includes Time to Perform Adaptive Learning And Drive Cycle

2 AE8Z 7C604 A ACTUATOR ASY - CLUTCH WS340
Cause: TRANS LURCHES FROM ACCELE
Correction: MILES 9043 ROAD TEST 10 MILES, TRANS JERK, CHECK dtc, no code present, using IDS check the clutch motor A AND B, lost signal, when acceler, performed replaced clutch motor, and reprogramm PCM, TCM, recalibration PCM, TCM, and tr sensor adaptive learning, drum adaptive learning, clutch adaptive learning, cycles, drive all shift engaged, performed TSB 11-9-14 operation 11914a 1.1

Anything I should be weary of or tell them to check I go to the dealer? There's been so much commonality to the failures... My confidence that there is no transmission issues left isn't exactly high given looking at complaints for the last hour.... other peoples complaints are largely my own and the chattering/slipping I mentioned occurring somewhat recently has got me thinking that this is going to end up as a new transmission after another 6 months of headaches in the best case. Ford is doing a good job of convincing people to buy extended warranties but I can't say I'd recommend someone buy a focus as a trouble free car...
Old 04-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #769
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Interesting information here: http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedi...2010_10_en.pdf

I'm saving it in case I think I'll need it later on...
Old 04-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #770
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Interesting information here: http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedi...2010_10_en.pdf

I'm saving it in case I think I'll need it later on...
Good info thanks..

Bookmarks & Social Networks