2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 76 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #751
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,284, Level 35
Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
I've got the transmission shudder problem on my 2012. It happens on odd-to-even gear changes and is especially bad on the 3-4 change at moderate acceleration. I took off the underside cover panel and found fluid had leaked from the bottom of the bell housing gasket, although it hasn't been so much leakage as to drip onto the cover panel below.

Just so I am pre-armed, am I still likely to get the "this is normal, nothing we can do" runaround when I take it to the dealer...
Hi Hypnotoad,

If you haven't already, I recommend reaching out to my colleagues at Ford Canada so that they can assist you. Give them a call at 1-800-565-3673.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #752
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 318, Level 6
Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusdriver55 View Post
Wanted to share my story on here because it has been such an ordeal. Purchased my Ford Focus SE in April 2012 (I live in Los Angeles). It currently has 18K miles. A couple weeks ago I began hearing a grinding sound when the car was shifting from 4th to 5th gear (typically after 30 mph). My car was due for an oil change so I took it in and told them there was a grinding noise and explained it was probably the 5th gear. For the record I am a woman. I specifically asked the Service Rep to have a Shop Foreman drive my car before I got there to pick it up. When I arrived at the dealer, the Service Rep had not had anyone drive my car (" we didn't want to put miles on it") and told me its "normal" for this new transmission. I told him he was wrong and if he didn't have someone drive my car I was getting a lawyer. Well it worked. He rounded up a shop foreman, we dove the car together and he immediately said he was putting me in a rental car for the weekend, that the noise was not "normal". They had my car for two weeks (thankfully they paid for the rental). Originally they said it was my "bands". And they were on backorder. They ended up putting an entire new tran in my car because that was faster than waiting for the backordered parts. When I received the paperwork from the dealer it stated that there was "brass and metal fragments in my transmission fluid and in my transmission". Reminder my car is a year old. Thank god I have had all the service done at the dealer so they couldn't blame dirty trans fluid on me or another garage. I still do not know the entire story as the paperwork I receive is just a "summary" of the technicians write up. I am tempted to demand the entire log. There is something wrong with these transmissions! Buy the extended warranty everyone! They are telling all of the Focus owners that the transmission jerking is normal but I think they are lying.
right yu are, there are hundreds of posts here detailing many problems, and fixes. I don't know what percent it is but Xpercent of focus owners have real problems.

don't let the dealer give you the runaround, seek out the ford reps here and at facebook and get your case escalated.

study and print the posts here so you have INFO.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #753
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 318, Level 6
Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 5%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinombre View Post
My 2012 Focus SE has experienced the same DCT transmission induced shake/shudder/stall documented ad nauseam on this forum.

The dealership ran tests and apparently there's no technical issue with the transmission (other than inherent design flaws).

My only satisfaction is that I was able to get the kind service rep to admit that it's an engineering/design flaw by Ford. The countdown until my lease is up stands at 14 months. Can't wait 'til it's over!
they know how to fix this, getrag has been building these for years. possible problems are leaking engine seal, contaminating clutches, bearings, etc. Reprogamming can improve shfting and also the rollbacl problem.

seek out the ford reps here and at facebook to get your case escalated, read and print the many posts here so you have tons of info.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #754
HCAULFIELD77
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111754
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Metallic Focus SE

Points 6, Level 1
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 HCAULFIELD77 Good Standing Member
Same issue for me.

Hello all.

I bought my 2012 Focus in August of last year and everything was fine. At around 7,000 miles, I noticed when the transmission shifted from second to third gear, there was a slight shudder. I really didn't make much of it because I know about the DCT and thought it was normal. Later on, maybe at around 9,000 miles, the shudder got worse. it was also doing it now from first to second and from second to third. My wife was driving it home one day and said when she made a left turn at a traffic light, it did it so bad, she thought the car was going to stall out in the middle of the oncoming lane. Luckily it didn't. I took it in to the Ford dealer, they gave me a rental car. The service lady said that it's a known issue and they will probably have to replace the clutches. They called me the next day and told me that the parts were on back order until the end of the month and to come pick up my car. She told me it was ok to drive until the parts came in and they would call me and let me know when they came in so I could bring it in again. Fast forward to a couple of weeks later, I get a call from them. The woman told me that there was a new service bulletin issued by Ford stating that what I and others are experiencing is normal operation for this car. She said that that is Ford's official stance on the matter and there's really nothing they can do because "we are at the mercy of Ford, unfortunately". I said OK but if there is any damage caused by this, You will definitely be seeing me. She said yes, by all means, if the problem worsens or if something major happens, bring it in, since I have an excellent warranty. A few days later, I get another call from her saying that Ford has now issued another service bulletin wanting the dealership to investigate the problem and they want me to bring the car in for them to look at. I have yet to make that appointment. The car has about 10,300 miles on it, so it is due for a 10,000 mile service anyway. I don't even think they drove it last time they had it. It seems, in my case, that the car is fine sometimes and at other times, the shudder is terrible. If I am in stop & go traffic for a while, it seems to get worse. There is also a grinding sound once in a while when the car shifts in low gears. Doesn't happen all of the time, but once in a while I hear it. Also the "clacking" sound of the car downshifting when coming to a stop or slowing down is very loud sometimes. I realize that the "clacking" sound may be normal for the DCT, as I've driven a Smart Car before and have heard that same sound. But in my car, sometimes it's loud enough to hear when the windows are rolled up. Other times, it's barely audible. I will make the appointment this week and see what they have to say and see what they are going to do but as of this moment, I'm a little pissed that the car is brand new and already having transmission problems.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #755
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Lemon

Points 2,284, Level 28
Points: 2,284, Level: 28 Points: 2,284, Level: 28 Points: 2,284, Level: 28
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 5%
FF Reputation: 0 Tubeway Army Newbie
Don't feel like your the only one, I have a 2013 built last month with less than 800 miles and have DCT issues, took it in last week heard the same response...did they give you the two page memo?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using FF Mobile
Old 03-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #756
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,928, Level 33
Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCAULFIELD77 View Post
...There is also a grinding sound once in a while when the car shifts in low gears. Doesn't happen all of the time, but once in a while I hear it. Also the "clacking" sound of the car downshifting when coming to a stop or slowing down is very loud sometimes. I realize that the "clacking" sound may be normal for the DCT, as I've driven a Smart Car before and have heard that same sound. But in my car, sometimes it's loud enough to hear when the windows are rolled up. Other times, it's barely audible.
I took my car in at about 14k miles for the loud "clacking" sound when the car changes gears. I agree - sometimes it is really loud - especially when decelerating quickly, but I decided maybe it is just because it's an automated manual.

But then... the 1->2, 3->4, and reverse grinding started. Allegedly "normal" - but was non-existent until I hit 25k miles? They reflashed my software and it stopped making the noise, but now the car shudders from a standstill (TC off helps stop this), vibrates while turning and shifting into second, and vibrates into 4th (even when shifting at 30+mph and driving straight).

I'm convinced something is wrong, but Ford isn't. Just waiting for the warm weather to come so that the grinding comes back full-force.

EDIT: I've probably typed this 1000 times, I don't know why I keep reiterating it. I guess because people keep asking / not searching old threads?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #757
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Points 2,284, Level 28
Level Up 90% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post

I'm convinced something is wrong, but Ford isn't. Just waiting for the warm weather to come so that the grinding comes back full-force.

EDIT: I've probably typed this 1000 times, I don't know why I keep reiterating it. I guess because people keep asking / not searching old threads?
Many are not aware of the hidden option, "MyFord Grind"

Details:

Guaranteed to turn more heads than a tuned exhaust note, especially from co-workers who know you just bought a brand new Ford and tell you your car is making a grinding noise just thought you would want to know.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #758
banksh0t
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111887
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 banksh0t Good Standing Member
Hi,

I posted this in another forum post on Thursday and I wanted to include it in this one.
2012 Ford Focus SEL
Mileage: 31,700

Wednesday night 3/20/2013, while driving home from work, my car really had an issue. Well I was driving on the freeway (probably traveling 40-50 mph) the check engine light and the D symbol (that indicates the car is in drive) light both started to flash and my car lost all acceleration and when I pressed on the gas pedal the engine just revved. I literally could not make the car go, lucky there was not a lot of traffic and I was able to pull over to the shoulder. I cycled the car on/off and the check engine light stayed on and I was able to drive home. I took the car in the next morning to have them service and look at the car. They reset the PCM\TCM on the car and said that should fix the problem. This is the second time they have reset the PCM\TCM on my vehicle. I've experienced the shuttering\shaking when the transmission shift gears and that is why they reset the PCM\TCM the first time.
Update: 3/25/13
So I was driving the car Sunday, I was traveling about 50-60 mph on the freeway when the check engine light and the D symbol started to flash again and within seconds the car completely turned OFF leaving me trying to coast the vehicle to the shoulder of the freeway. Once I reached the shoulder, I tried to restart the vehicle and it would not turn on. So I started to search for the Ford Road Side Assistance number on my phone which took a few minutes. Once I found the number, about 8 minutes had passed, I figured I would try to start the vehicle and see if I could at least get it off the freeway before I called to be towed. It started this time and as I was exiting the freeway the car did the same exact thing, turned off while I was traveling 15-20 mph on the freeway off ramp. Again once I came to a complete stop the car would not let me restart it. Waited for about 30 minutes for the tow truck and had it towed to the dealer that "FIXED" it on Thursday. Went in this morning to drop off the key and talked to the Service Rep and he wasn't much help. I called the Customer Service hotline and the women I spoke to opened up a ticket for me. I just want everyone to know that there is obvious transmission issues with the 2012 Ford Focus and I have lost all faith and trust in the car. I feel that the car is dangerous to myself and others on the road when it completely shuts itself off while traveling 50-60 mphs.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #759
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Points 2,284, Level 28
Level Up 90% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Your car is unsafe to drive, time to pursue other avenues of getting it resolved...Lemon Law...
Old 03-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #760
HCAULFIELD77
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111754
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Metallic Focus SE

Points 6, Level 1
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 HCAULFIELD77 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
Don't feel like your the only one, I have a 2013 built last month with less than 800 miles and have DCT issues, took it in last week heard the same response...did they give you the two page memo?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using FF Mobile

They told me by all means to stop by the dealer and pick up a copy of the letter if I wanted to, I am rarely on that side of town so I called them a few days later and requested that they mail it to me. The next day I got the call to bring it in again. So I will ask for a copy when I am there on the 2nd. Tried to make an earlier appointment to bring it in but she told me that their transmission tech is pretty much swamped right now (I can see why) and he's not there on weekends, so they would like to have me come in at the beginning of the week instead of the middle or end of the week.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.