2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 59 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #581
Pinto1st
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106728
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Pinto1st Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi everyone,

I truly understand how upset you all are with the transmission issues. I assure you that Ford reviews all documented cases, and actively works to resolve them and prevent it in the future. For those of you working with your dealers, please continue to do so. I know, no one wants to have to visit the dealer so soon on a new car, but they are best able to determine solutions. If the dealer's repair hasn't fixed your issue, please PM me with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer so I can try to assist. Your patience would be greatly appreciated.

~Natasha
I could really use your help. My 2012 SEL Focus has the shuddering issue as well as being very sluggish on anything but hard start. The dealer once "reflashed" , however this has not helped. On a visit to another dealer, I was handed a 5 page printout, basically saying these bad characteristics were normal. HELP please
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #582
DQuinn
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106730
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Focus

FF Reputation: 1 DQuinn Good Standing Member
Same problem here.

Hello everyone,

I am having the same issue that everyone is. I have a 2012 titanium hatchback with close to 38K miles (long commutes to San Diego). Last Friday I noticed the car would shutter when I stepped on the gas from a dead stop. It was looked at today by Rancho Ford in Temecula. They tech agreed that there is a problem, so they flashed the transmission module, that didn't help. The service advisor told me that Ford's next step is to replace some actuators in the transmission, those are on order right now. They should be in next week. I'll post to let you know if this helped after they replace the actuators.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #583
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,149, Level 34
Points: 3,149, Level: 34 Points: 3,149, Level: 34 Points: 3,149, Level: 34
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto1st View Post
I could really use your help. My 2012 SEL Focus has the shuddering issue as well as being very sluggish on anything but hard start. The dealer once "reflashed" , however this has not helped. On a visit to another dealer, I was handed a 5 page printout, basically saying these bad characteristics were normal. HELP please
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQuinn View Post
Hello everyone,

I am having the same issue that everyone is. I have a 2012 titanium hatchback with close to 38K miles (long commutes to San Diego). Last Friday I noticed the car would shutter when I stepped on the gas from a dead stop. It was looked at today by Rancho Ford in Temecula. They tech agreed that there is a problem, so they flashed the transmission module, that didn't help. The service advisor told me that Ford's next step is to replace some actuators in the transmission, those are on order right now. They should be in next week. I'll post to let you know if this helped after they replace the actuators.
Hi Pinto1st and DQuinn,

I want to escalate both of your cases to your regional customer service managers. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get your information into your CSM's hands and ensure someone contacts you quickly.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #584
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,839, Level 32
Points: 2,839, Level: 32 Points: 2,839, Level: 32 Points: 2,839, Level: 32
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
I rented a 2013 Focus for work - it only had 6 miles on it when I got it! Anyway, I've noticed some differences and I'll report back with my findings (transmission and cosmetic) later today. ^_^
Old 11-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #585
jmp_mydog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106759
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus 4 door Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jmp_mydog Good Standing Member
Hello I am also experiencing the same problem with my 2012 Focus. The car has always had a slightly rough shift (makes my wife slightly nauseous). I've brought this issue up every time I have had the car in for maintenance and each time received the same reply from the service rep, "That's just the way that new trans works, you'll get use to it." I assumed they new what they were talking about an took their word. I also brought up the funky smell that was coming from the AC unit periodically. They said that was normal as well.

Over the summer I had the focus in fro the recall on the transmission programming and something else. Brought up the AC issue again and they insisted it was normal.

In October of this year I started to experience a loud grinding noise every time I turned left. Concerned I took my car back in and brought up the AC smell as an issue (again). This time around it turns out their was a service bulletin out for bad front springs and they investigated the AC unit to find that the drain plugs were never removed hence the wet dog smell I had been complaining about for several months.

After picking my car up the smell was gone and the severe grinding noise from turning was gone. However in it's place I started to experience and high pitch squeaking noise coming from the front end and a new grinding noise when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd gear.

I took the car back in and the service tech noted that the springs weren't properly seated which caused the squeaking noise. After keeping my car for several days they diagnosed the grinding noise as (I kid you not) CD's in the glove box banging around. I argued with the manager and he said he was unable to replicate the noise but when he took out the CDs the noise was gone. Frustrated and in need of my car I accepted this and left.

After filling out the Service Experience Survey detailing my unhappiness the service manager called me back and asked me to bring in the car. I did and took him for a test drive at which point he heard the noise and insisted he could fix it (in a two weeks when the trans guy wasn't busy).

November 19th I took the car in again for the SAME problem and the service manager said he would reset the program and this should fix the rough shifting and eliminate any grinding as "the trans learns from your driving" After picking it up and immediately hearing the same grinding noise I spoke with the service manager again. He told me the noise is normal and will get better as I continue to drive.

I called and talked with him again today as the noise is getting significantly worse and he told me, "There's nothing Ford will allow us to do, your car is up to date"

I'm really concerned that this is an issue as a grinding trans usually mean an expensive fix down the road. With the car under warranty I want to have the issue corrected but so far my dealership is telling me there's nothing wrong.

I didn't have this problem until they updated the program and replaced the defective springs.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #586
symbology
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94555
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL HB 301A Mtl.Blk

FF Reputation: 1 symbology Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp_mydog View Post
I'm really concerned that this is an issue as a grinding trans usually mean an expensive fix down the road. With the car under warranty I want to have the issue corrected but so far my dealership is telling me there's nothing wrong.
According to another thread the sound is most likely caused by cheap ball bearings or some such. As long as there is no abnormalities with the clutch and no oil is leaking through to the transmission, don't fret. It sucks, but we'll all just have to live with it.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #587
montreal
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106766
What I Drive: 2012 black ford focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 montreal Good Standing Member
Here's my horror story... (And soory for my english I'll do my best)
This summer I bought a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium slightly used with about 36000Kilometers on it that's about 22000 miles..

The first couple weeks the car seems fine a bit sluggish but I already knew about this car having a new kind of automatic\standard transmission so I drive it as is and after a couple days I start getting used to it . Hot summer temperatures roll in and so it begins...The tranny seems to be getting worse especially in traffic it starts shuddering badly and being more unresponsive so I start looking for answers and I find this website.

Going threw a few threads I find that there is an update so I give the dealer a call and the technical adviser tells me to come in and that they will flash it so I leave them the car and pick it up a couple hours later ..
Great !! I'm all happy thinking that they've resolved the problems but on my way home 1st and 2nd gear starts grinding BADLY as if you were driving a standard and you shifted into the wrong gear. I give them a call, they tell me to give it about a 1000KMS as the tranny as to get used to the way you drive... ok ..

After a couple months of *waiting* for the transmission to get to know me lol I give them a call explaining how sick and tired I am of driving this car it has gotten so bad my girlfriend won't even hop in this car (true story)
I bring it back they tell me that there's oil inbetween the engine and transmission and to leave them the car for a week for them to change the clutch, seals, motor and actuators a week later they call me and I go pick up the car.

The mechanic tells me that its still shaking badly but the hotline told him to give it time.. again... and guess what? It's now worse than ever.. I asked the service manager if Ford would consider giving me what the car is worth and take it back if they can't fix the problem and he laughed

Anyways now its in for the fourth time. Sad thing is that I'm 22 and have been a Ford guy my entire life. I have a 1997 Ford Thunderbird, bought a brand new Ford Ranger last year from Ford, bought a 2008 Ford Focus also from the dealer and now this.. This one will be my last Ford EVER unless Ford does something for me very soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugwty...ature=youtu.be
(listen at 5:6 sec then 9:10 and then again at 14:15) And this was before it got REALLY BAD lol
Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #588
skramblr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86363
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL & 2012 Mustang GT

Points 277, Level 5
Points: 277, Level: 5 Points: 277, Level: 5 Points: 277, Level: 5
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 skramblr Good Standing Member
My latest issue - there is a pretty odd rattling of the valves sound when it shifts from 1st to 2nd. Dealer looked at it and later the tranny guy says another Focus was in for some work and he said it also does the same thing. But I don't remember this noise happening in the last year of ownership and the new ones on the lot sure as heck don't do it.

And with all the latest updates installed I was thinking that this car seems slower than it used to be. So I try accelerating from a dead stop.. and around 11 seconds later I hit 60mph. Specs on this car say 0-60 should be just under 8 seconds. Hmmm...
Old 11-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #589
jmp_mydog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106759
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus 4 door Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jmp_mydog Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugwty...ature=youtu.be
(listen at 5:6 sec then 9:10 and then again at 14:15) And this was before it got REALLY BAD lol
That's exactly the problem I've having. I also noticed once they installed the updated program and again after they reset the program my MPG went down significantly and the car hesitates every time I accelerate from a stop or idle.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #590
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101029
What I Drive: 2012 oxford white sel, H2, F-150

FF Reputation: 1 Ysteven Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp_mydog View Post
That's exactly the problem I've having. I also noticed once they installed the updated program and again after they reset the program my MPG went down significantly and the car hesitates every time I accelerate from a stop or idle.
I have a same issue for a while now. Weird part though is why MPG going south, no clutches slipping, maybe shift schedule is off a little, but for some unknown reason we are loosing mpg, I can't get above 32-33 hwy.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.